Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lasthog

JONAS

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on December 11, 2017, 01:43:10 pm
Might as well support him. He's not Venables, but he's got to be an improvement over what we've had.

Damn straight.

bighog2255

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:42:59 pm
For a spread team with inferior talent?  Alex Grinch is a rising star.

That may be, but Chavis is a much better fit with CCM. The biggest LOGICAL complaint about CCM was his lack of HC experience in SEC football. Chavis can provide that balance.

I would also like some sort of link where Chavis "hates recruiting" as you have mentioned every other post in this thread

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 01:43:46 pm
We should bring Willie back.

The names change.  The extended results don't. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

Porknoxville

DL - B.Early or Charlie partridge

TDHawgs

You guys gotta be kidding me?  Chavis is miles ahead of what we have endured the last couple of years. 

He's the #3 rated DC in College Football according to this.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2649110-10-best-defensive-coordinators-in-college-football

I'm still doubting he will come here, but if he does, I'll definitely be excited about it!!

RME

I know nothing about his recruiting apathy and I'm not seeing much on Google keyword hits for old articles.

Can someone enlighten me?

Not a condescending post or anything, I'm legit curious. All I have to go off of is his recruiting profile on 247 which, to me looks solid. Lots and lots of 4 and 5-star recruits on there.

https://247sports.com/Coach/John-Chavis-255/AllTimeRecruits

Just tryin' to understand!

cosmodrum

Chavis is good for a team that has plenty of talent and someone else to recruit for him. Good coordinator. Bad fit.
Go away, batin'

TexasHog

Ray_Finkle

Did we not hang a bunch of points on his defense this year?  I can only hope that this is not who Morris chooses...... 

farmhawg

I think you all have lost your minds.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Wildhog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 11, 2017, 01:50:51 pm
I know nothing about his recruiting apathy and I'm not seeing much on Google keyword hits for old articles.

Can someone enlighten me?

Not a condescending post or anything, I'm legit curious. All I have to go off of is his recruiting profile on 247 which, to me looks solid. Lots and lots of 4 and 5-star recruits on there.

https://247sports.com/Coach/John-Chavis-255/AllTimeRecruits

Just tryin' to understand!

I've just seen LSU/TAMU fans complain about it for years.  Don't really have a link. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogindasticks

LSU Defense never been a slouch.

FiveIronFrenzy

Quote from: TDHawgs on December 11, 2017, 01:49:50 pm
You guys gotta be kidding me?  Chavis is miles ahead of what we have endured the last couple of years. 

He's the #3 rated DC in College Football according to this.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2649110-10-best-defensive-coordinators-in-college-football

I'm still doubting he will come here, but if he does, I'll definitely be excited about it!!

What's strange to me is his last three years at LSU he had top 15 defenses, then at A&M he was 50-100 range for three years.  It's not like he suddenly forgot how to coach - I wonder if the talent just wasn't there, or they misevaluated some recruits, or the defense didn't mesh with the offensive style.

bighog2255

Quote from: Ray_Finkle on December 11, 2017, 01:53:36 pm
Did we not hang a bunch of points on his defense this year?  I can only hope that this is not who Morris chooses......

Yes let's base it off one game in one season, and not his 20 years as a successful DC at the highest level

jneal56

Quote from: OtterHog™ on December 11, 2017, 01:34:24 pm
Never thought I'd see the day Arkansas fans would be upset about John Chavis as DC. Have you seen our last half dozen DC's?? This fanbase really is insane.

Well this is Hogville you know. All the experts on here just have to be negative because it's safer to say someone isn't going to make it.
"At least we are moral"

Wildhog

Quote from: FiveIronFrenzy on December 11, 2017, 01:55:16 pm
What's strange to me is his last three years at LSU he had top 15 defenses, then at A&M he was 50-100 range for three years.  It's not like he suddenly forgot how to coach - I wonder if the talent just wasn't there, or they misevaluated some recruits, or the defense didn't mesh with the offensive style.

Spread offense and less talent. 

We're a spread offense with even less talent than TAMU.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

steveaustin69

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 11, 2017, 01:33:35 pm
the guy has like 20  years experience coaching defense in the SEC.  I'm all for it.

You hate chad morris hire, but love Chavis? Hilarious. What does experience mean when hes had consistently mediocre defenses last few years with a wealth of talent?

RME

Quote from: bighog2255 on December 11, 2017, 01:55:36 pm
Yes let's base it off one game in one season, and not his 20 years as a successful DC at the highest level

You get it.

Charlie Weatherbie should be a national championship-winning coach because he beat Saban one year.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:34:38 pm
Houston Nutt has like 14 years experience as a HC in the SEC.  Let's go get him!

This

RD

Our offense burned him for 43.

No.

Science Fiction Greg

When your offense scores a lot of points, your defense will be on the field more often.  There's no real way around that.  There's no way his numbers at a program like Texas A&M were going to match his numbers at a program like LSU.  It's just not possible.

None of these numbers exist in a vacuum.  You have to consider context.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

RME

Quote from: RD on December 11, 2017, 01:58:21 pm
Our offense burned him for 43.

No.

Now HERE is some bonafide logic.

Ray_Finkle

Quote from: bighog2255 on December 11, 2017, 01:55:36 pm

Ok cool.  I'm glad we agree.

Atlhogfan1

Recruiting classes Chavis had to work with:

2000 Tenn #1
2001 Tenn #4
2002 Tenn #3
2003 Tenn #10
2004 Tenn #11
2005 Tenn #4
2006 Tenn #29 - 17 signees
2007 Tenn #4
2008 Tenn #33 - 18 signees
2009 LSU #1  - LSU was 8, 5 and 13 for the 3 classes before this. 
2010 LSU #9
2011 LSU #8
2012 LSU #13
2013 LSU #6
2014 LSU #2

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hopeful Hog

But isn't he currently unemployed? So why the delay then?

Wildhog

If he hires some bulldog recruiters, he's a great hire.  If he doesn't, then he's not.  Pretty simple.
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 11, 2017, 01:39:54 pm
I love it.  He is one of the best.

His LSU teams were still dominate against the spread. Absolutely humbled Johnny Football

We lack the talent to dominate under Chavis. But Chavis will have our defense ready to preform at there highest potential

ipigsooie

This dude is not playing! Morris comes bringing the heat! I'm really starting to like this guy. It could go great or it could go down in flames but he is swinging for the fences. Great hire! Wps!

hollywood hog

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 11, 2017, 01:52:08 pm
Chavis is good for a team that has plenty of talent and someone else to recruit for him. Good coordinator. Bad fit.

Morris or Chavis?

Hogindasticks

Honestly....why would this hire have taken so long......I don't think this is the case..this would have been done a week ago.

If this guy were the answer, it would have been done long ago.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: King Kong on December 11, 2017, 01:59:48 pm
His LSU teams were still dominate against the spread. Absolutely humbled Johnny Football

We lack the talent to dominate under Chavis. But Chavis will have our defense ready to preform at there highest potential

Those LSU teams had lock down corners and speed with size at LB.  It is why they were so effective.  Look at the players drafted from that defense. 

King Kong

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:59:42 pm
If he hires some bulldog recruiters, he's a great hire.  If he doesn't, then he's not.  Pretty simple.

I would think a Brick Haley at Mizz would probably come with. He has recruited well at LSU and Texas. Probably not a bulldog but he ain't no Joel Thomas either

HF#1

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:59:42 pm

Apply this statement to any coach in College Football. Chavis would be a significant upgrade over what we have witnessed the last 5 years.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

colbs

I'm not sure where A&M's defense ranked but it did get better from year 1 to 2.  They also led the league in sacks while Arkansas finished last.  A little concerned on how he can do with less talent.

SemperHawg

Cheif at Tenner and Boom when he was with Aubbie were really the only two D Cords that ever shut down DMAC and Felix.  I know most here will think that doesn't matter because Nutt was a moron and they had talent... But that duo made a lot of other really talented defenses look helpless even with the moron coaching them.

Busta_Nutt

Ellis Johnson is also looking for a job. Everyone deserves a second chance!

The Hawg Marshal

I have no idea whether he is the new DC or not, but if he is I have to wonder why he isn't here already.

bighog2255

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 02:02:35 pm
Apply this statement to any coach in College Football. Chavis would be a significant upgrade over what we have witnessed the last 5 years.

"But....but he hates recruiting! Other teams message boards say so!"

HamGrowsOnTrees

You are not going to see impressive Def. numbers from a DF coordinator in a hurry up spread system. It has never happened, and it never will.

What Chavis will give us is only surrendering 30 ish points a game and turnovers.... sacks and turnovers which the hogs have been missing.

Would be a great hire. They will put recruiters around him.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 11, 2017, 02:01:34 pm
Honestly....why would this hire have taken so long......I don't think this is the case..this would have been done a week ago.

If this guy were the answer, it would have been done long ago.

Maybe someone else told us no? Or CCM hadn't made a decision yet? Either way I'm not sure I'd put much stock into this report. Schaap has been wrong a lot both during this search and going back to our coaching search 5 years ago.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 11, 2017, 02:07:14 pm
You are not going to see impressive Def. numbers from a DF coordinator in a hurry up spread system. It has never happened, and it never will.

What Chavis will give us is only surrendering 30 ish points a game and turnovers.... sacks and turnovers which the hogs have been missing.

Would be a great hire. They will put recruiters around him.

Leach's defense at Washington State has been putting up impressive numbers.

King Kong

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 02:02:08 pm
Those LSU teams had lock down corners and speed with size at LB.  It is why they were so effective.  Look at the players drafted from that defense.

They did. But it's not a situation where I believe Chavis is incapacitate of putting a GP together to stop people in a spread. I question that with some of our previous DC.

hogcards

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on December 11, 2017, 02:05:25 pm
I have no idea whether he is the new DC or not, but if he is I have to wonder why he isn't here already.

He's not.

Stop worrying about it.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

rhog1

Oh boy 3rd and Chavis, just what we don't need.  LSU and Aggie fans were not sorry to see him go.

SemperHawg

Quote from: Hog Pharm on December 11, 2017, 02:07:43 pm
Maybe someone else told us no? Or CCM hadn't made a decision yet? Either way I'm not sure I'd put much stock into this report. Schaap has been wrong a lot both during this search and going back to our coaching search 5 years ago.
This...

Schaaaaaaaap has been throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks since all this started.  He is the quintessential rather be first than right guy.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 02:09:46 pm
Leach's defense at Washington State has been putting up impressive numbers.

Do you see how it's directly tied to time of possession?  If you give an offense more time with the ball, they are going to gain more yards.  It's just a fact.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:42:59 pm
For a spread team with inferior talent?  Alex Grinch is a rising star.