Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I think a Big 12 switch may be

Started by BoarnSupremacy, October 11, 2017, 06:52:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kneph13

I see no point in moving to the Big 12 now.  It's moving backwards, football and money wise.  It's too late anyhow and we will forever be a mid/low tier SEC West team with rare really good seasons.

We should have moved to the Big 12 instead of the SEC to begin with.  But money/greed always win out.
There is no Political Correctness in war

Ben

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 09:49:37 pm
I'm gonna venture a tiny little guess that we don't have a 0.636 winning % against the SEC over the last 10 years.
33-49...40% winning percentage
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Iwastherein1969

We won't get those big checks each March or April when the AD's meet in Destin. We are building new facilities left and right and have as good of a set of facilities as any school in the SEC and it still hasn't equated into better recruiting numbers. Why ?  Because we take athletes who are not being bought off. And yes that includes mighty Alabama. The two Alabama schools UAt and AU are the biggest cheaters in the SEC, always have been. Until we get into the slime we're never going to be a big winner in the SEC. We don't cheat, everyone else with exceptions to Vandy does. I'd bet my last dollar on it.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on October 11, 2017, 07:18:12 pm
That conference is boring.   One bad coach and y'all are ready to spend your weekends in Lubbock and Ames for all of eternity.   Gross.

lol, yeah Starkville, Oxford, College Station, Columbia are all so much more interesting

factchecker

Quote from: jvanhorn on October 12, 2017, 12:32:43 am
lol, yeah Starkville, Oxford, College Station, Columbia are all so much more interesting

That's why we play AnM in Dallas.  ;)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jvanhorn

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 11, 2017, 11:52:18 pm
We won't get those big checks each March or April when the AD's meet in Destin. We are building new facilities left and right and have as good of a set of facilities as any school in the SEC and it still hasn't equated into better recruiting numbers. Why ?  Because we take athletes who are not being bought off. And yes that includes mighty Alabama. The two Alabama schools UAt and AU are the biggest cheaters in the SEC, always have been. Until we get into the slime we're never going to be a big winner in the SEC. We don't cheat, everyone else with exceptions to Vandy does. I'd bet my last dollar on it.

Gee the last time I looked 4 and 5 star players were just praying they would get an offer from Alabama.  Why would you cheat when they come to you hat in hand.  That would make Saban the dumbest guy on earth.  He picks and chooses who he wants.  It is not a question of getting them, just which ones does he want.

jvanhorn

college conferences probably aren't going to stay in their present situation anyway.  I think there will be a MAJOR redistribution of all the big teams into 3 or 4 super conferences.  Arkansas is not in any shape to be much in demand at the moment.

RME

Quote from: jvanhorn on October 12, 2017, 12:38:39 am
college conferences probably aren't going to stay in their present situation anyway.  I think there will be a MAJOR redistribution of all the big teams into 3 or 4 super conferences.  Arkansas is not in any shape to be much in demand at the moment.

Wrong. The U of Arkansas as a whole is very healthy. From the academics to the athletic department. It's amazing how some think the football program is the litmus test for the entire university. Any conference would love to have us.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 11, 2017, 11:52:18 pm

We probably have a few skeletons...I'd bet on that too.  But generally speaking, the best thing that would happen for us would be for the FBI to expand their interest from basketball to football, and start ringing up a few heavy hitters in the CFB world.  That would change the landscape a little, and could do nothing but help us. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Tusks

It only works if MO, NE, A/M, and CO go with the hogs.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: tusked on October 12, 2017, 10:06:21 am
It only works if MO, NE, A/M, and CO go with the hogs.

The game changer would be if consolidation narrowed the revenue gap between conferences, and TV saw that they could benefit from ad dollars etc.  I'm not saying that's impossible, but the challenge is that so many of the teams are in TX and that's a fixed number of watchers already, so expansion of viewership would have to come from the schools that are joining.  I dare say that the networks wouldn't have their skirts blown up by the increase by adding MO and AR, and the same for CO.  TAMU would make a dent, and CO probably would as well, but I don't know how that would shake out as far as being "attractive" to the networks, sponsors, and advertisers. 

The obvious concern is...who would the SEC then take in as replacements, because if they added some heavy hitters, then they would STILL command the most dollars and the rest are left with less by default. 

I don't see ANY way Arkansas leaves without serious repercussions that would hurt revenue and facility development.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HawgWyld

I don't know if this is the time to move to the Big 12 for a couple of reasons:

1. It would have made more sense back when Arkansas was the only team in the SEC west of the Mississippi, but that changed with the addition of Missouri and A&M. The UA isn't isolated from the rest of the conference in the same way it was just a few years ago. Geographically, the Big 12 is still a better fit, but the Hogs aren't the lone rangers in the SEC anymore.

2. It would look horrible to slink off to the Big 12 -- rather like saying the Hogs couldn't cut it in the SEC, so the team is leaving. What would that do for recruiting?

Hopefully, the Hogs will concentrate on getting a coach that might make the team competitive. Everything else is just a distraction.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: jvanhorn on October 12, 2017, 12:35:41 am
Gee the last time I looked 4 and 5 star players were just praying they would get an offer from Alabama.  Why would you cheat when they come to you hat in hand.  That would make Saban the dumbest guy on earth.  He picks and chooses who he wants.  It is not a question of getting them, just which ones does he want.
Well, I don't remember Saban burning the SEC up when he was at mighty LSU. Yeah he won a NC but didn't have the best team. USC was the best team that year and everyone knew it. Say I give you Bama,what about AU ?  Are you really trying to tell me the Plainsmen run a clean football program. Yeah, that's what I thought. One wonders how AU raided Arkansas' best HS talent for years and oh, there is this 200k worth of improvements to the church that Cam Newton's father ran. Coincidence ?  I sorta doubt it.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Pork Twain

I wish we had never left and would like for us to be back there in a heartbeat.  That is where our history is and where we were strongest and is also the most logical in the geographical sense
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

NWASooner

Arkansas should really look into this.  The money difference isn't as much as you think.  If memory serves correct, the Big 12 has a clause that calls for automatic $20M increase for every team they add.  The networks pushed back on them when there (jokingly) looking at Tulane and Memphis.  They wouldn't with Arkansas.  Also, Arkansas would own its Tier 3 rights and could package that.  (Missouri should also go back because they're awful in everything.)

As for the stability of the Big 12, that's a factor.  Texas and OU refused to sign their GOR extension and that will be a deal breaker for anyone to move there.  I do think if Arkansas or a Missouri were to commit to that, the networks would throw even more money at the Big 12 just to keep it together.  If that's the case, the GOR would likely be signed and the Big 12 lives in it's mummified state forever.

Arkansas and a Missouri would also make the Big 12 a really good basketball conference.

Also, college sports are about rivalries and Arkansas has MUCH better rivalries in the Big 12.  You'd be playing yearly games against Texas, OU, TCU, OSU, etc.  That's a helluva lot better rivalry than any game Arkansas plays in the SEC, except maybe LSU.

In the end, though, this won't happen.  It should but it won't.

Tusks

Quote from: NWASooner on October 13, 2017, 05:35:48 pm
Arkansas should really look into this.  The money difference isn't as much as you think.  If memory serves correct, the Big 12 has a clause that calls for automatic $20M increase for every team they add.  The networks pushed back on them when there (jokingly) looking at Tulane and Memphis.  They wouldn't with Arkansas.  Also, Arkansas would own its Tier 3 rights and could package that.  (Missouri should also go back because they're awful in everything.)

As for the stability of the Big 12, that's a factor.  Texas and OU refused to sign their GOR extension and that will be a deal breaker for anyone to move there.  I do think if Arkansas or a Missouri were to commit to that, the networks would throw even more money at the Big 12 just to keep it together.  If that's the case, the GOR would likely be signed and the Big 12 lives in it's mummified state forever.

Arkansas and a Missouri would also make the Big 12 a really good basketball conference.

Also, college sports are about rivalries and Arkansas has MUCH better rivalries in the Big 12.  You'd be playing yearly games against Texas, OU, TCU, OSU, etc.  That's a helluva lot better rivalry than any game Arkansas plays in the SEC, except maybe LSU.

In the end, though, this won't happen.  It should but it won't.

It would be a good deal if A/M, MO, NE & CO came with them.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HoggyCat

I don't think so.  When the sec is short a team because we bail out, who do you think they're going after? A couple, probably three Big 12 teams. Texass and both okies.

Then what?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggyCat

Besides, how are we fairing versus the big 12 with "sec recruiting"??
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Bkhardicars

I've long been of the opinion that our demise is due to the players we used to get are now going to TCU, OK State, and Baylor. Also the fact that several schools are closer to the U A than all the SEC Schools, (before Mizzou joined), would make for more road trips.We could not join though if TX  had all the power and everyone else just had to accept it.That alone makes it nearly unbearable to think about.

hog of steele

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 11, 2017, 08:20:52 pm
If it's about the W and L, then why have big 12 teams been left at the alter so much the past decade or so?

Championship game is part of the equation. Big 12 is better with us. But as long as they don't split revenue equally, The league is not stable. Texas has to much power.

fistofsouth

OK full disclosure.  I'm an Aggie fan.

Razorback please don't go.  TAU and UA have played each other for over 100 years.  I know that most Aggies were excited to join the SEC for two reasons; Arkansas and LSU.

Go to the BDF and you will see a few things; Texas being Texas (cheating, Lying to conference mates and e,bracing things like [CENSORED] protests), Oklahoma going along because they don't have better options and everyone else praying Texas and OU don't destroy the conference.

Perhaps some Razorbacks forgot how Texas operates.  Let me put it to you like this' in the SEC you are a partner, not good at football this year?  OK can you help us in agricultural studies?  Dint't make the Final Four in Basketball? No worries let's develop new petroleum techniques together

In ANY conferenceTexas is a part of you are an enemy; didn't advocate for Texas to have preferred football scheduling?   Eff the Razorbacks.  Did not sign off on the rule changes Texas waned?  We may have to kick you out of the conference.

Please, Please, PLEASE HEAR ME.  Perhaps it is time for BB to go, but Arkansas is a respected partner in the SEC and that is worth something. 

HatfieldHog

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on October 11, 2017, 06:52:15 pm
a good thing.  Its no secret the texas recruiting has gone down alot since 1992.  Parents of texas recruits want to watch sons play in texas.  Its pretty obvious the present recruiting isn't enough.  The venues are alot closer and would build more fan support due to simple geography.  I don't think its running from competition as much as it is trying to improve our pitiful recruiting.  A year to year series with OU would be fun.  I think it should be considered.

This may be the dumbest post I've seen in a while!  A move to the Big12 would cut out conference revenue in half..... It would be a horrible decision!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HatfieldHog on October 13, 2017, 09:53:35 pm

This may be the dumbest post I've seen in a while!  A move to the Big12 would cut out conference revenue in half..... It would be a horrible decision!

See ya

Then you should fact check your own post more. Because it isn't anywhere near the truth. Don't call out others post as being dumb. When your own post aren't backed with factual information.

fistofsouth

Quote from: Paul on October 11, 2017, 08:21:19 pm
I seem to remember many recruits from non SEC states saying they were considering us because it was a chance to play in the SEC

Aggie fan here.  I know A&M gets a number of athletes from the West as a result of being the closest SEC program.  Kyle Allen and Christian Kirk are both Arizona kids that signed with A&M because of the SEC.

Also please don't move to the Big Dumpster Fire Conference.  Arkansas and A&M have a rivalry dating back to 1903.  Not to mention the various other SEC rivalries Arkansas would be leaving behind.  The University of Texas ruined the SWC and is ruining the Big-12; just ask any Aggie, Corn Husker, Tiger or Buffalo.