Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia Bulldog Football Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, February 05, 2016, 07:07:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 9h9 hours ago

Does Kirby Smart's first UGA recruiting class deserve a little more love? http://sec.news/1R88il5

Junkyard Blawg:
QuoteSmart's first class includes three 5-star prospects (matching Bama) — and still could add a fourth if wide receiver Demetris Robertson decides to become a Bulldog —

Plus, half of Georgia's 2016 recruiting class consists of 4-star players, and Smart managed to steal a couple from his former employer and flip a leading Auburn prospect, too. As for the ones that got away, well, that whole lock-down-the-borders mentality is just unrealistic in a state that's as heavily recruited by big-time programs as Georgia is.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 20h20 hours ago

Kirby Smart locked in Georgia's sixth straight Top 10 recruiting class. http://bit.ly/1nPB2nw 

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Signing day has come and gone, and the 247Sports Composite No. 1 wide receiver has yet to decide on which college he intends to play for next fall.

QuoteDemetris Robertson (Savannah, Ga./Savannah Christian) hopes to find out next week whether he will be accepted to Stanford. If he gets good news, the plan is to set an official visit to Palo Alto, Calif., potentially Feb. 19. In this scenario, Alabama and Georgia would be battling for an official visit, with a potential Feb. 12 date. Those visit dates are not set in stone and are also dependent on Robertson's high school basketball schedule.

If Robertson is not accepted into Stanford, Alabama and Georgia would both be in line to get Robertson on campus for an official visi

jbcarol

Chris Kirschner@ChrisK_AJC

Netori Johnson explains de-commitment from #Alabama, where things stand with #Auburn, #UGA   http://sec.news/1K3xtEa 

Quote"It's been talked about for a while now," Johnson told SEC Country. "I discussed this with my mom and my coaches. We sat down and talked about it. That's where it came from. I didn't want to de-commit on signing day. That would have been foul and I would have messed with everyone's moment, so I decided to wait a few days after."

6-foot-5, 330-pounder had told media for months that he was 100 percent committed to the Crimson Tide, even though he routinely expressed interest in Auburn and Georgia. He says he wasn't being extremely truthful when he told people just how solid he was with Alabama.

Behind Alabama, Auburn is his No. 2 school and Georgia is No. 3. There is a chance down the road that he could re-commit to the Tide, but it's going to come down to Alabama offensive line coach Mario Cristobal.

Johnson expressed concern that Cristobal wouldn't be at Alabama much longer.

Jeff Sentell ‏@JeffSentell_ Feb 5 Woodstock, GA

Jeff Sentell Retweeted Chris Kirschner

Smart and Pittman want these big red mitts on their Big Nasty OL. 

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC 3h3 hours ago

Recapping Georgia's national signing day  http://es.pn/1Q5sP4K

QuoteBiggest need heading into signing day: While Smart cleaned up along the defensive line, he needed to add some more girth to the offensive line. Heading into NSD, Georgia's staff had secured commitments from ESPN 300 OG Ben Cleveland, who enrolled early, four-star guard Chris Barnes, and three-star guard Solomon Kindley. Unfortunately, Smart and new offensive line coach Sam Pittman had no offensive tackles. Smart made it very clear when he was hired that he needed to add some big bodies to an offensive line that was losing three starters and needed depth on the outside.

How it was addressed: Well, Smart and his staff came away from NSD with just three offensive linemen. The goal was to get at least five, but the staff came up short here, and Smart was very outspoken about being disappointed with the numbers he ended with up along the offensive line. Cleveland could come in and help right away, but Barnes and Kindley could use some more time to develop. What really hurt was missing out on ESPN 300 tackle E.J. Price from right down the road in Lawrenceville, Georgia. Price, who even seemed somewhat conflicted on NSD, surprised many by picking USC over Georgia. Not having a contingency plan for Price also hurt this staff, which desperately needed at least one OT in this class.

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt Feb 10

Julian Rochester was worried about a potential shoulder surgery. Thanks to UGA's S&C leader, he's going to be fine: http://www.macon.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/article59570341.html ...

QuoteATHENS

Julian Rochester enrolled at Georgia in January with a slight shoulder injury that was causing him some pain.

Working out hurt and the freshman defensive tackle became worried he'd have to go under the knife to repair the issue. Enter Scott Sinclair, Georgia's new strength and conditioning coordinator, who, with a series of new workouts, has already helped the afflicted area tremendously.

"I already feel stronger with the injury that happened," Rochester said. "(Sinclair) said, 'You're going to have to get it stronger' because I thought I would need surgery. He said I'm going to get you stronger."

Rochester said lifting weights was tough at first but that each exercise has helped strengthen the muscle and heal the injury.

By the end of January, Rochester was lifting without a problem.

"People who have tweaked injuries, if they can't do one thing he's already coming up with something," Rochester said. "He's a mastermind."

Rochester, one of Georgia's six early-enrollees, said he's thankful to get a head start on the strength and conditioning program because of the rigors it brings...

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 14m14 minutes ago

Can UGA sign the nation's top class in 2017? The big push starts this weekend http://sec.news/20sPsps

You better believe it.

QuoteThere's the huge official visit this weekend from a potential starter at offensive tackle with Rhode Island fifth-year graduate transfer Tyler Catlina on tap as the most pressing need. The UGA faithful will also be very plugged in to the moves made by 5-star receiver Demetris Robertson over the next month.

Yet this weekend also begins a trend of several "Junior Days" for UGA to welcome and start building relationships with the Class of 2017.

That's the class where UGA is poised to make its biggest mark. The impending visit of 4-star cornerback William Poole looms as one of the most important this weekend (maybe ever).

jbcarol

UGA flips a monster lineman away from Louisville

UGA hosted Cedar Grove offensive lineman Justin Shaffer on an unofficial visit this weekend and it quickly paid off.

QuoteShaffer flipped from Lousiville to UGA on Monday morning. The 6-foot-5, 330-pounder has been rated as a three-star recruit and the No. 77 offensive tackle in the nation for the Class of 2017.

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt 3h3 hours ago

Jason Butt Retweeted Justin Shaffer

Justin Shaffer's announcement, flipping from Louisville to Georgia.

Justin Shaffer
‏@ShafferJustin77

#SicEm17 #CommitToTheG  #GoDawgs 🐶🔴⚫⚪

jbcarol

jbcarol

Justin Shaffer is a big man even among heavyweights. The 6-foot-5, 335-pounder has hands that measure 10 inches in length from the base of his wrist to his fingertips.

The 3-star offensive lineman from Cedar Grove High School flipped from Louisville to UGA on Monday

QuoteShaffer called his own audible on that one.

"I asked my head coach if I could just make a tweet saying I was de-committing from Louisville and committing to Georgia at the same time," Shaffer said. "He told me that would be better and I was like 'OK cool' so I did that on Monday to make the week start off great."

Shaffer was close to saying his recruitment was over but wants to leave a few other options. He expects South Carolina and Tennessee to make a big push. The only way he'd consider another school aside from UGA is it offered a "way better" academic opportunity. "Aside from that, I am really down pat with Georgia and really ready to rock and roll and play. I'm really looking for a place where education wise is really it. If somebody's education program is better than what they offer at Georgia, that would be the only thing that might change my mind. When you talk about the SEC, then Georgia is No. 2 in education behind only Vanderbilt."

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 17h17 hours ago

Grad transfer Tyler Catalina, a 6-6, 300-pound 2nd team All-CAA OL at #URI, announces he's going to play for #UGA.

jbcarol

Xavier Jenkins, 6-foot-3, 193-pound receiver from Lowndes High School committed to UGA

QuoteUGA didn't care about the stars. Jenkins said that UGA receivers coach James Coley felt he was the top junior receiver in Georgia this year.

What did the decision come down to? That one was easy. Jenkins said it was all about distance and family. He knows the trip to Louisville takes about 10 hours by car and that the trip to Athens is about six hours shorter than that.

"I was thinking about the distance and I was thinking about my mom at the same time," Jenkins said...

jbcarol

UGASports.com@UGASportscom

BREAKING: Rivals100 QB Jake Fromm has flipped his commitment from Alabama to #UGA. Free https://uga.n.rivals.com/news/fromm-flips-from-tide-to-dawgs ...

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 5m5 minutes ago

Kyle Tucker Retweeted UGASports.com

Smart off Saban's Christmas card mailing list. Bet he'll miss that annual note that "Only losers take holidays off."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Rivals reported that 4-star running back Cam Akers had pledged to UGA.

However, Akers quickly denied the report, tweeting out "I'm not committed to UGA."

QuoteIt has been a busy week for the prized prospect out of Clinton, Miss. He backed off his early commitment to Alabama on Thursday – and that came after Akers made an unofficial visit to UGA this past weekend.

Earlier this week, UGA flipped 4-star quarterback Jake Fromm of Houston County (Ga.) High School from Alabama.

In his words:

https://twitter.com/thereal_cam3/status/705938904235556866

https://twitter.com/thereal_cam3/status/705939210990178304

Kit Fisto ‏@IAmBabyBarkley 11h11 hours ago Weddington, NC

@thereal_cam3 @Rivals 🙄🙄 maybe they're a little too excited? 😂😂

Cam akers ‏@thereal_cam3 11h11 hours ago

@IAmBabyBarkley yea that's what it is 😂

jbcarol

MVP Camp Top Performer and Michigan de-commit set to visit UGA on Monday

QuoteJeremiah Holloman will be at UGA on Monday. The rising senior receiver from Newton High School has an appointment with receiver coach James Coley.

The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder will be fresh off a "Top Overall Performer" honor at the MVP Camp that took place on Sunday at Lovejoy High.  Holloman was named the top camper out of a group that swelled to more than 420 campers.

The MVP of Sunday's MVP camp learned he had garnered an offer from UGA late Sunday night.

Holloman de-committed from Michigan on Feb. 12. He feels that experience has shown him not to make a hasty decision with his next decision.

Holloman thinks Nick Saban "is a great person" and his reputation is why he's also very interested in exploring his options with the Crimson Tide.

The nearly 6-foot-3 target felt Ole Miss and Tennessee were recruiting him the hardest and noted those schools already treat him like "family."

jbcarol

UGA welcomes 6-foot-1, 209-pound tailback, Zamir White, a five-star recruit and the nation's No. 2 overall prospect in the Class of 2018

QuoteSmart has already told White he's the program's No. 1 back for 2018 and also gave him a strong evaluation of what he liked about his game.

White (Scotland County High School/Laurinburg, N.C.) has the skills to elevate a position room for three years. The young man carries the nickname "Zeus"...

6-year-old said he does not have a current leader at this point, but revealed that Clemson and North Carolina have been recruiting him the hardest over the last few months.

"I haven't heard from Georgia as much as those others," he told DawgNation last week. "Georgia just pops in and pops out the last couple of months. But I can tell they are all real nice coaches and good people too, though."

jbcarol

Max Wray, a 6-foot-6, 270-pound OT from Tennessee committed to UGA and became the first recruit in the 2018 class.

QuoteWray chose UGA over his home state Volunteers. 247sports rates him as a four-star recruit and the nation's No. 46 overall prospect for 2018.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 8m8 minutes ago

BREAKING: Kirby Smart, UGA offer 18 players from Florida powerhouse IMG Academy http://sec.news/229VVql

QuoteIMG Academy coach Kevin Wright got a text message this morning that shared UGA's extreme interest in 18 of the 60 current players on his varsity team. UGA offered 18 of his guys in one fell swoop with a text.

There were seven players among those 18 who had previous offers from the program, but the list Wright got on Tuesday morning verified that 18 members of his team still held offers from UGA.

"This is different here to me," Wright said. "They have vetted the process. This is not a splash move by Georgia for headlines. They have went through the process to find specific guys they feel can help them win championships. That message comes across strong when I talk to the coaches there."

The latest wave isn't unprecedented as Tennessee recently offered 20 players from IMG at one time. Ohio State and Buffalo University (of all places) have also mass offered chunks of the IMG football team at one time.

jbcarol

Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach 8h8 hours ago

Kirby Smart and #UGA kicked off G-Day festivities with a commitment from CB William Poole III @__WP3, No. 48 prospect in ESPN 300

jbcarol

Netori Johnson the 6-foot-3, 348-pound offensive guard unexpectedly announced his commitment to Georgia Tuesday with a tweet he titled "Officially a Dawg."

Quote"First I would like to thank God for the talents that he has blessed me with. I would also like to thank my family, coaches, teachers and everyone else who has supported me thus far. Thank you to all of the schools that have been recruiting me and offered me a scholarship. But today I will be committing to the University of Georgia and making my decision final."

Pride of Cedar Grove High in Ellenwood, Georgia is the nation's No. 4 offensive guard.

jbcarol

'17 4-star Atlanta Pace Academy WR Trey Blount gave a verbal to UGa.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/727885650192650240

QuoteIt may look like Georgia is executing a long-secret plan if satellite camps were approved. In fact, head coach Kirby Smart said, the inside view of it is a bit hectic.

"Literally, I get a text every five minutes about another one," Smart said.

The NCAA reversed itself last week, allowing schools to attend the so-called satellite camps, a term for recruiting camps hosted by a school but not on its own campus. Smart had been philosophically against the camps, along with the rest of the SEC. But once they became legal – the SEC rescinds its rule against them later this month – then word immediately leaked about camps Georgia will be involved in.

One will be at Cedar Grove High School in June, where Georgia will join Michigan's coaches. A few others have been announced by other high schools. More apparently will be coming, but Smart said he will be "selective."

"It's tough, and you've got to decide, am I going outside my footprint of recruiting, or am I staying inside," Smart said on Wednesday, during the SEC spring teleconferences. "That's the dilemma we have now in trying to make these decisions, that we're not really used to. ...

"Yeah, we'll be a part of them. But where and when exactly, I mean obviously we've got a couple that are out there already. But you've got to cut through a lot of hoops to make sure these things are done proper and done under NCAA rules before you can put your name on them. So it's a little bit of a slower process."

More issues are involved, Smart pointed out. Which coaches attend each camp: All of them, just a few assistants, the head coach, etc.? He pointed out that you may not want to be attending a satellite camp while you could be hosting a recruit on your campus, or may already have plans to do that.

jbcarol

UGA confirmed on Wednesday morning that it has received RB Brian Herrien's financial aid papers and that they have been certified.

QuoteThe news gives Georgia a total of 21 signings for the 2016 class. That also doesn't include offensive tackle Tyler Catalina, the graduate transfer from Rhode Island.

Georgia now has two tailbacks in its signing class, with Herrien joining Elijah Holyfield.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/743133075652120583

QuoteD'antne Demery, the No. 2 prospect in the state of Georgia in the Class of 2017, committed to the Bulldogs over Alabama in a ceremony at his high school.

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt Jul 5 Doral, FL

UGA has 6 top 20 players in the state in class of 2017. Robert Beal would've made 7 if he didn't transfer to IMG. 10 of 13 commits from GA.

jbcarol

jbcarol

2017 Langham Creek (Houston) running back Toneil Carter announced that he has committed to Georgia. Carter, a four-star running back who is considered the fifth-best at his position in the country.

QuoteCarter chose the Bulldogs over Alabama, Arkansas, LSU and TCU.

Carter announced his decision in an interview at The Opening.

This decision gives Georgia 14 commitments in this year's class. Bulldogs are considered to have the third-best class in our nation.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Xavier Jenkins, a 3-star receiver from Lowndes High School in South Georgia, has de-committed from Georgia. Jenkins de-committed from UGA last Saturday.

QuoteJenkins was the first receiver to commit to the new Georgia staff back in February and the fifth member of the Class of 2017. He is expected to go camping this weekend at Miami.  The Hurricanes, and former UGA coach Mark Richt, recently extended an offer to him.

This decision now means that Georgia only has 14 commitments for its 2017 signing class. The 6-foot-3, 195-pound prospect is rated as the nation's No. 94 prospect at receiver for 2017. His prospect ranking had been the second-lowest on the board for this year's class [and maybe ever].

jbcarol

jbcarol

Coveted defensive lineman and No. 34 ranked strong-side defensive end in the class of 2017, Devonte Wyatt flips from South Carolina to Georgia

QuoteSouth Carolina landed a commitment from Wyatt in June, after he picked up an offer from the Gamecocks at the Will Muschamp Football Camp.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/jeffsentell/status/763012959014645760

QuoteMURFREESBORO, Tenn. — It was Alabama's fault.

That's the hurry-up, no-huddle way to examine why Georgia finished third in the race for the commitment of 5-star prospect JaCoby Stevens.

The Bulldogs missed out on a chance to pair the nation's top-ranked safety (Richard LeCounte III) with 2017's N0. 2 recruit (Stevens) at that same position when he choose LSU over UGA, Alabama and Auburn in a ceremony Monday at his high school.

Alabama wedged a window of doubt in the nation's No. 27 overall prospect regarding Georgia. Think of the Tide as the blocking back that cleared Georgia out of the way for LSU to score this 5-star commitment.

Stevens said "Alabama opened the door for LSU" on Monday. When that wedge opened, LSU shot the gap and eventually earned a re-commitment from the talented Stevens.

jbcarol

Chad Simmons ‏@ChadSimmons_ 46m46 minutes ago

#Scout100 S, #Georgia commit Richard Lecounte is down on the field. They've called for EMTs. He's moved some.

The ambulance has arrived... Keep Richard LeCounte in your prayers. He has moved arms and legs. Head's been still.

Chad Simmons ‏@ChadSimmons_ 7m7 minutes ago

On Richard LeCounte, not too much is [known] for certain. The word on the Liberty County sideline is concussion is likely, but nothing 100% yet.

jbcarol

Jeff Sentell ‏@jeffsentell 33m33 minutes ago Covington, GA

The latest on LeCounte: "All is well" from a source close to the situation. Limited details beyond that at this point.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ChadSimmons_/status/764090207138217986

QuoteGeorgia commit, No. 2 safety in the country Richard LeCounte, very early in Liberty County's scrimmage game against Brunswick was knocked out, then had to be taken to a hospital...

On the third play of the game, Richard LeCounte is working at wide receiver and when diving to block for a teammate, LeCounte's head hits a Brunswick defender's knee.  LeCounte went motionless as you see in the video (via pic above).

Most expected at minimum a concussion, but in the end, after a short time at the hospital, he was cleared with no broken bones and no concussion.  He returned at the end of the night to the sideline to cheer on his teammates as they finished up the scrimmage against Brunswick. 

He is also at school Friday.

jbcarol

Breon Dixon, that four-star linebacker from Grayson High tweeted that he has finally decided to re-open his recruitment

QuoteDixon was the second commitment of the Kirby Smart era back on Christmas Day.

His decision also leaves Georgia with just one commitment at LB for the Class of 2017. The de-commitment drops Georgia's tally of verbal pledges down to 14...

jbcarol

UG Bulldogs get a verbal from '17 4-star RB D'Andre Swift from St. Joe's in Philly.

jbcarol

Rick O'Brien Verified account
‏@ozoneinq

Archbishop Wood WR Mark Webb has committed to play at Georgia:  @phillysport @RallyPhilly

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/779368055742889984

QuoteWhich program stacked up more nationally-renowned classes?

The answers, as one might expect, is Georgia.

Let's tread lightly with all the comparisons for just a second. Georgia freshman Jacob Eason was rated higher coming out of high school than Chad Kelly. Yet not even the staunchest Bulldog advocate would propose the visiting team has the edge at quarterback Saturday morning in Oxford.

There are flaws to this process. Ole Miss tight end Evan Engram was a three-star prospect coming out of Georgia and these charts devalue his influence on the game. The same goes for a key Georgia contributor like Sony Michel. He's not technically seen as a Georgia starter but his contributions or lack thereof will be a major factor in Saturday's outcome.

jbcarol

jbcarol

UGA gains a commitment from 4-star Cairo OLB Walter Grant

QuoteHis Syrupmakers had already clinched their region title. The coaching staff knew his knee took a good jolt recently and saw no need to risk anything with the playoffs looming next week.

The night still proved memorable for another reason. Grant — a major UGA recruiting target for 2017 — went to the parent's corner of the grandstand with the rest of his team for the alma mater. A public address announcer sauntered over and asked him the big question.

Alabama? Georgia?

The nation's No. 14 OLB prospect had prepared the school band to play both fight songs. He chose to stay with the in-state school.

Grant became UGA's 16th commitment for the Class of 2017 on Friday night.

Credit: Jeff Sentell

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JasonHButt/status/804416990873931776

QuoteGeorgia had one of its best recruiting days of the Kirby Smart era Thursday as two of the Bulldogs' most sought-after prospects announced their intentions to play for the Bulldogs.

Four-star defensive end Malik Herring and four-star wide receiver Jeremiah Holloman announced they have committed to the program after in-home visits with coaches.

jbcarol

jbcarol