Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball is taking over football in Arkansas.

Started by draftkings33, May 30, 2017, 08:29:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

draftkings33

We have a lot of D1 football type athletes playing nothing but basketball now.  You are about to see Razorback basketball explode.  But this is killing HS football.  Little Rock is the main issue.  Lack of facilities, coaching, and all the concussion injury stuff.  I think it's gonna really effect Razorback football.  I would have never said this five years ago but basketball seems to be on the rise big time with kids.

FineAsSwine

Arkansas is a football state, period. Doubt that ever changes.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hoghiker

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 30, 2017, 08:56:41 am
Fans are but I'm less sure about the kids playing.

GuvHog

Quote from: hoghiker on May 30, 2017, 09:03:42 am

It actually varies depending on which area of the state one lives in. In some parts of the state the number of boys going out for football is high but in other parts, not so much.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawgon

Arkansas is a great basketball state, always has been.  Lots and lots of kids growing up through the 90s in Arkansas had no access to football as that they went to schools too small for football.  At those schools, basketball was king.

redleg

May 30, 2017, 09:37:24 am #5 Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:57:43 am by redleg
In years past, there was a significant Pulaski County/Little Rock flavor on a vast majority of championship caliber Razorback football teams. But the Little Rock School District is in disarray, and football has become a joke in what was once a bastion of high school football, especially at Central High. The best high school football is now played in NW Arkansas, and in southern Arkansas in smaller towns. NLR is doing a pretty good job too. Central High has been a non-factor for 12 years now, and none of the other LRSD teams ever really put a value on football for an extended period of time. Parkview was really good in the early-to-mid 1980's, but other than that, it was always Central High football. It's all basketball now in Pulaski County, mostly because it's much cheaper to supply 12 to 20 kids per basketball team, than 70-100 football players. I blame the LR School Board, the superintendents, and the teachers.....but mostly the school board.
Razorback football is going to have to begin mining other football-rich areas, like NW Arkansas, Tulsa, Kansas City, Memphis, Shreveport, Monroe, and hit the Dallas region extra hard.
The Hoop Hogs aren't going to need to go very far in the near future to find some great players to elevate the program, but I would look for Anderson to start recruiting Memphis a lot harder.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

davehog

Basketball participation in the younger grades (rec / grade school) has been declining for several years in the state. 

redleg

Not sure where you are looking. In high population urban areas, and the smallest towns around the state, basketball is on the rise.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Wildhog

I'm more excited about Hog basketball than Hog football for the first time in ages. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 30, 2017, 08:56:41 am
If Razorback basketball ever gets back to what it was from '75 to '96, it will be a basketball state. The U of A, over the past 40 years, has done much better in basketball than it has in football.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hollywood_HOGan45

May 30, 2017, 10:15:47 am #10 Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:41:01 am by Hollywood_HOGan45
I know football is right around the corner but I'm much more excited about the upcoming basketball season.

GuvHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 30, 2017, 10:11:10 am
If Razorback basketball ever gets back to what it was from '75 to '96, it will be a basketball state. The U of A, over the past 40 years, has done much better in basketball than it has in football.

No, it really won't. During the era you mentioned, as great as basketball was in the state, football was still #1. That isn't going to change. Football will always be priority #1 in the U of A Athletic Department because it's the biggest money maker. It will be that way in some other instate colleges too. The State of Arkansas is not like the Commonwealth of Kentucky where basketball is King and never will be.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: GuvHog on May 30, 2017, 09:11:54 am
It actually varies depending on which area of the state one lives in. In some parts of the state the number of boys going out for football is high but in other parts, not so much.
well, while that's true, the area where it is happening is our breadbasket for players. It is hurting us already. The next DDawg is playing basketball right now.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

010HogFan

I hate it, but I don't really care about football like I used to. Been too invested for too long and had the rug pulled out from under us too many times. Basketball at least is giving me something to believe in again when it comes to Hog sports not named track or baseball.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 30, 2017, 10:15:47 am
I know football is right around the corner but I'm much more excited about the upcoming basketball season.
i think we all are. Having a ton of talent lined up for the next three recruiting classes will do that to you.

In football, we have 4 four* recruits right now. If we keep a 4* average up to a solid 16 man class, that would do wonders for our program. We really need a high quality class.

In basketball, MA has been killing it in recruiting.

I feel like bud walton will be full early and often this year.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Wildhog on May 30, 2017, 10:03:27 am
I'm more excited about Hog basketball than Hog football for the first time in ages.
I am as well, for the 1st time in my life
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawgon

ICEman

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 30, 2017, 11:51:58 am
I am as well, for the 1st time in my life
Our seniors two senior guards should be able to take over a game at the drop of a hat.  One would have to go back to Beck and McDaniel to find a saltier duo on the hill.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

phadedhawg

Even though I know the football fanbase in this state is enormous, I've always considered Arkansas a basketball state.  For the first half of my life I grew up in a small town that did not have a high school football team and basketball was life.

Dwight_K_Shrute

To get LR schools up to par private money is going to have to step up and help out.  Besides the school districts being underfunded and poorly run the socio-economic demographics do not lend themselves to parents being able to give time and money to help elevate the programs.

Yes the NWA schools are better funded but they also have a much higher level of parent involvement and a lot of private booster money supporting the programs.

It would be great from a competitive standpoint if the LR schools could produce more talent, but more importantly it's better for the kids to have that opportunity.  The number of roster spots in Bball is so low compared to FB and so many kids could use the structure, mentoring, physical activity, social support, sense of purpose, value, and camaraderie that FB would provide.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

LRHawg

Oh boy, another thread about the LR school district.

songofthesword

sorry for inform you but arkansas has always  been, is, and always will be a basketball state. kids play football that can't cut it in basketball in arkansas.  that's how it's always been.

the backup point guard on my high school team had nevfer touched a football in his life, went out for football his senior year, got the starting RB job and ran for 200 against West Memphis.   there are a lot of those in the state.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 30, 2017, 03:55:10 pm
I don't anyone could have foreseen how much of an albatross the LRSD was going to become with respect to education in this state.  Contrary to Dwight's point, more money has been poured in that black hole than anywhere in the state and to what end?  Money will NOT solve the problem.

But to the point of the OP, I do agree wit the notion that given the state of things over the last two decades, it has been far easier for LRSD athletes to excel at basketball as opposed to football.     

Money for the schools or athletics?  I will bet the % of total funds/pupil spent on athletics in LRSD vs any NWA SD is much less when you combine private and public funds.  While money does not solve the problem it helps when coupled with parent/adult involvement.
NWA has the parents that can help from a financial standpoint and a support standpoint.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

TexArkHogFan

My grandson is a pretty good athlete.  He played football, basketball and baseball in middle school.  Got hurt twice playing football, didn't like walking around on crutches, so gave up football for good.  He finally settled on baseball, his first love that started with t-ball.  Started on the high school varsity his freshmen year and will be a junior this coming year.  The high school football team has trouble fielding enough players to hold a scrimmage.  I still like watching college football but the NFL has become almost unwatchable with all the antics going on.  Players celebrating a tackle as if they just won the game, the TD celebrations, etc.  It's a real turn off for me. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

draftkings33

Quote from: GuvHog on May 30, 2017, 09:11:54 am
true

draftkings33

I never said football wasn't no.1.  Just saying basketballs rise is hurting football.  Also hurting is very poor coaching in LR and southern Arkansas

daprospecta

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on May 30, 2017, 03:39:57 pm
To get LR schools up to par private money is going to have to step up and help out.  Besides the school districts being underfunded and poorly run the socio-economic demographics do not lend themselves to parents being able to give time and money to help elevate the programs.

Yes the NWA schools are better funded but they also have a much higher level of parent involvement and a lot of private booster money supporting the programs.

It would be great from a competitive standpoint if the LR schools could produce more talent, but more importantly it's better for the kids to have that opportunity.  The number of roster spots in Bball is so low compared to FB and so many kids could use the structure, mentoring, physical activity, social support, sense of purpose, value, and camaraderie that FB would provide.
Better funding? Go look at any of the Roger High School's fieldhouse and then look at LR Fair's fieldhouse. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

hoglady

Your best sports programs have parental and community support - Little Rock lacks both of those in football especially.
I've never understood why some educators don't see the value of sports, the arts, band, etc. - especially in keeping borderline kids in school and the community involved. Those are always the first programs cut.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

sickboy

I'm in my mid-30's and have always thought of Arkansas as more of a basketball state. Maybe that's because the Hogs haven't been super relevant in football since I was five or so. At least not consistently. I certainly think nationally that's where our identity lies. If you talk to folks who don't have any connection to the state, most know Arkansas for Nolan and the Hogs teams of the 90's that were so productive. It seems when we have an NCAA tourney basketball team, we instantly get press and media buzz nationally. But when we have an SEC title caliber football team, we still don't seem to break through the national conversation. I think that's because to most, our identity is mid-90's Hog b-ball.

hobhog

Quote from: hoglady on May 30, 2017, 06:38:29 pm
Your best sports programs have parental and community support - Little Rock lacks both of those in football especially.
I've never understood why some educators don't see the value of sports, the arts, band, etc. - especially in keeping borderline kids in school and the community involved. Those are always the first programs cut.

This. People can't see the forest for the trees. Too angry at everything but what they should be....

NuttinItUp

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoghiker on May 30, 2017, 09:03:42 am

Arkansas has always had a good number of both players. Maybe where you live basketball is played more so but in other places it isn't. It is less common across the country now for kids to play multiple sports though. In some places where the population is not that high basketball is played more but in others that have grown there are more football players than before. Population shifts, emphasis and other causes have changed the map. It's all a part of human geography and demographics.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggish1

Correct, from about Nov. 15 to March Madness... LMAO

HognitiveDissonance

I don't know about fans' interest level. Seems to me fans are passionate about the Hogs, no matter the sport.
I also don't know which has more interest in the high schools, football or basketball(or other sports).

But I know this: from strictly a U of A perspective, I've always considered the UA a basketball school over football. ALWAYS. The potential is simply higher to achieve more in hoops, considering the league we play in. Hoops doesn't require the numbers that football does. That's tough for a small state, and football needs the numbers. Also, the rest of the SEC is simply more invested and passionate about football than hoops.

I'm not saying there is a grand canyon of difference, but there is a slightly easier path to success in basketball. For that reason, I have always held greater expectation for UA basketball, and I personally have greater expectation and hope for hoops season to get here than football.

Now, I love me some college football. Football has many things going for it, some of which have nothing to do with winning. Marching bands, crisp fall air and sunshine, tailgating, all Saturday games, etc. There are things I love about football that I can't get anywhere else.

LZH

Quote from: NuttinItUp on May 30, 2017, 07:39:41 pm
Welcome to the mid-90s

Yikes, that's a pretty scary scene to think about if you're a football lover. I got so uninterested in Ford's teams by then that I was only going to a couple of games a year...and had tix to both LR and Fayetteville then (couldn't give them away, either). Going by attendance, interest seems pretty high right now, but I hope a coach leaves or is fired before something like that happens again.

bob slydell

Can't speak for the rest of the state, but growing up in NEA it always seemed that basketball was the priority.  Even for the bigger schools.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

TeedupHigh

Shocked I tell you!  Central High School still in operation?  How about Hall High & Catholic High?  I have only been back in the state for 3 years, have not heard anything about these schools.........Still shocked!  What the hell happen?

hawgon

Arkansas regularly produces enough D1 basketball players that a Top 20 team could be fielded and pretty much maintained with players from our state.  That can't be said for football.

hogsanity

Arkansas is a football state with kids playing, fans watching, and overall talent produced. Yes, the state produces 2-5 really good basketball players a year, but the overall depth of bball talent is not good ( we will see if the two upcoming classes are a trend or an exception ).

Outside of a few schools, mainly in the LR area, go to any of the 200 or so schools that play football and basketball and the fervor for football is far greater. You can go on Friday night to some of the worst HS football games and the place is packed. Parents start their ids in rinky dink football at 5 years old ( which is just stupid, imo ), and they live for seeing little Johnny make a big hit, or a big run. For a majority, basketball is what fills time between football and spring football. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LRrazorback

Quote from: redleg on May 30, 2017, 09:37:24 am
In years past, there was a significant Pulaski County/Little Rock flavor on a vast majority of championship caliber Razorback football teams. But the Little Rock School District is in disarray, and football has become a joke in what was once a bastion of high school football, especially at Central High. The best high school football is now played in NW Arkansas, and in southern Arkansas in smaller towns. NLR is doing a pretty good job too. Central High has been a non-factor for 12 years now, and none of the other LRSD teams ever really put a value on football for an extended period of time. Parkview was really good in the early-to-mid 1980's, but other than that, it was always Central High football. It's all basketball now in Pulaski County, mostly because it's much cheaper to supply 12 to 20 kids per basketball team, than 70-100 football players. I blame the LR School Board, the superintendents, and the teachers.....but mostly the school board.
Razorback football is going to have to begin mining other football-rich areas, like NW Arkansas, Tulsa, Kansas City, Memphis, Shreveport, Monroe, and hit the Dallas region extra hard.
The Hoop Hogs aren't going to need to go very far in the near future to find some great players to elevate the program, but I would look for Anderson to start recruiting Memphis a lot harder.

John Walker is to blame for a lot of the problem. He was the one who sued the  school district which forced desegregation and busing kids from neighborhood schools to other parts of the city, in the mid '80's.  And he got wealthy in the process. But it's probably a topic for another day. 
I think it's why we're seeing the problems now, just took a little time.

hawgon

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 31, 2017, 09:20:17 am
I agree with this point but I don't see how this supports the OP point.  There are (and always have been) many states that cannot produce enough talent to fill the roster of a D1 team.

I disagree with the OP point.  Basketball is not overtaking football, Arkansas has always been more of a basketball than football state.  Arkansas has always been a sneaky good basketball state not far behind Indiana and Kentucky with a lot of the same dynamics driving it.  Small schools and sparse population making it easier to field basketball teams than football teams.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on May 31, 2017, 09:25:49 am

Basketball is not overtaking football, Arkansas has always been more of a basketball than football state. 

I do not see that at all.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on May 31, 2017, 10:25:03 am
I do not see that at all.

Depends on the part of the state in which you live. GW, Ft. Smith, NWA have always been pro football, most of NEA outside of Wynne is more pro basketball. I'd say Central Arkansas leans more into bas, while SE Arkansas is more of a football area.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Little Rock hasn't produced a "crop" since those great kids from Central in 03'-04'.   That's becoming a long, long time ago.     

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LRrazorback on May 31, 2017, 09:12:55 am
John Walker is to blame for a lot of the problem. He was the one who sued the  school district which forced desegregation and busing kids from neighborhood schools to other parts of the city, in the mid '80's.  And he got wealthy in the process. But it's probably a topic for another day. 
I think it's why we're seeing the problems now, just took a little time.

Then ask why that hasn't hurt recruiting in other metro areas where that was also done...........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dr. Starcs

ChicoHog

Being from out of state I can't really comment objectively on whether the state is more of a basketball or football state at the HS level.  But as a huge college sports fan and a U of A alumnus I believe 100% that the Hogs are more of a football school than basketball school.  My reasoning is what sport do the fans care about most?  At Arkansas and most every other other university is the country (D1 level) it's football.  There are probably about 5-10 schools that basketball is bigger-UK, KU, Indiana, Syracuse, Duke and maybe UNC, UCLA, Arizona and a couple others but that's it.  Football draws more fan interest everywhere else.  Even places like Michigan st and Louisville with tremendous basketball success-I bet their fans would get more excited abut a National Championship team in football.

GoHogs1091

An argument could be made that golf has become more important than basketball or football in the state.  The following shows how important is golf in Arkansas.

Hardscrabble Country Club   Probably the best golf course in the nation between Tulsa, Oklahoma and Augusta, Georgia.  Has hosted several key golf tournaments (Trans-Mississippi Amateur Championships and Nike Tour/Nationwide Tour/Web.com Tour).

Texarkana Country Club   The course where the legendary Byron Nelson would always practice prior to The Masters Tournament in Georgia.

Pinnacle Country Club   Hosts a LPGA event.  That event brings in a ton of money to the state.  Also, the event brings a lot of notoriety to the state because it gets televised on a worldwide channel.  It is the only high-level professional sporting event in the state (The Naturals and The Travelers are not high-level professional sport).

The Alotian   An overrated novelty that does draw attention to the state.  It hosted a Western Amateur Championship a few years ago, and the young Amateur participants carved it up   

The Blessings   Will host a NCAA Championship in the future.  Hopefully, long overdue changes will make it more playable.

Then, there are the courses at Bella Vista and Hot Springs Village.  These courses are "retirement courses" that cater to retirees.  These courses bring in money to the state because retirees move here in order to have choices of several courses at one location where the housing is located.

TheRazorback500

We seem to have a better chance of being successful in basketball in the next 3 or 4 years than in football because of the better players Anderson is bringing in. If somehow CBB could put together a good season this fall and upgrade recruiting in 2018, things could change.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

NuttinItUp

Baseball is looking pretty good right now, too.