Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to Korliss Marshall?

Started by WPS2k18, December 13, 2017, 02:34:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WPS2k18

I know he transferred out to a FCS program Eastern Illinois..but never heard of him since.
Im calling it now... Hogs 2047 National Champs.

Hogarusa

Please, let me google that for you.

E. illinois
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hogsanity

he went to eastern illinois where he played in 8 games in 2016 and gained 274 yards. No record of him playing anywhere in 2017.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BOAR_N2BWILD

I think he got into some kind of trouble at E. Illinois too
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

WPS2k18

Yeah i googled but couldn't find anything after the 2016 season..which is why i came here to ask the experts..
Im calling it now... Hogs 2047 National Champs.

bphi11ips

Quote from: WPS2k18 on December 13, 2017, 02:39:55 pm
Yeah i googled but couldn't find anything after the 2016 season..which is why i came here to ask the experts..

+1
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Transferred, never took the next step. He's going to mature eventually and beat himself up for the rest of his life for the opportunities he threw away. The kid had a level of speed that doesn't come around very often
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Uncle Remus

Isn't he the son of Jonathan Adams from Osceola?  Adams had the same type of "unteachable" ability.  Think he ended up having a decent career at ASU.  He was some kind of fast!

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Quote from: Uncle Remus on December 13, 2017, 03:30:23 pm
Isn't he the son of Jonathan Adams from Osceola?  Adams had the same type of "unteachable" ability.  Think he ended up having a decent career at ASU.  He was some kind of fast!
Yes he is.  Jonathan had another son (JA Jr.) who is a freshman at ASU this year.  Was a two time All-State player and I believe 2016 6A player of the year at Jonesboro HS.  Good genes in that family...
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

twistitup

I heard he opened a training facility w Vin and Mitch

Legends is the name I believe
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

NEA_HogFan

He had a tryout for the CFL in the last month or 2.

DOGALUM

Quote from: twistitup on December 13, 2017, 03:41:55 pm
I heard he opened a training facility w Vin and Mitch

Legends is the name I believe
They brought in Kane Whitehurst as their speed coach.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

HoggyCat

Guess who we open the season against next year.....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

factchecker

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 13, 2017, 05:34:53 pm
Guess who we open the season against next year.....

Korliss isn't on their team anymore.

http://www.eiupanthers.com/roster.aspx?path=football

BUT they are coached by former Razorback - Kim Dameron.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gibby

Now that the leadership at both football programs has changed, I'll share this regarding Korliss and his departure from the UA.

I have it on good authority that Korliss wanted to transfer to UCA in order to stay closer to family, and there was mutual interest, as you might imagine. But even after a phone conversation between program leadership, CBB wouldn't release him to UCA. The reason given was, and I quote, "How would it look if I kicked him out of my program, and then he went on to rush for 2,000 yards at UCA? I'm sorry, but I can't let that happen."

So while CBB is often lauded for loving his players and taking care of them, this is one instance where he went out of his way NOT to do a favor for a UA player, albeit a departing one.

Not trying to make something out of nothing. Clearly Korliss failed to thrive post-UA, and as someone else said, I imagine he'll kick himself some day. I just found it interesting that CBB thought it was more important to maintain a certain image than to compromise on a factor that really carried no significance to the UA, but that may have really helped the kid out (being closer to family).

Mods, feel free to PM me if you need specifics on my quote.

kp72204

I looked him up last year. I always thought he was going to be special. Will be kicking himself one day no doubt.

hawganatic

Quote from: gibby on December 13, 2017, 06:52:31 pm
Now that the leadership at both football programs has changed, I'll share this regarding Korliss and his departure from the UA.
CBB wouldn't release him to UCA. The reason given was, and I quote, "How would it look if I kicked him out of my program, and then he went on to rush for 2,000 yards at UCA? I'm sorry, but I can't let that happen."

Why would a player need to be released by a coach to drop to a FCS school?  They can transfer without having to sit out a year or any other restrictions.

jry04

Quote from: hawganatic on December 13, 2017, 07:57:23 pm
Why would a player need to be released by a coach to drop to a FCS school?  They can transfer without having to sit out a year or any other restrictions.
Correct. He can transfer without sitting out if he is dropping down a level. I do not know who his source is, but it isn't accurate. If it is, then the joke is on Korliss and his family for actually believing he couldn't go to UCA. I feel pretty confident this conversation never took place.

Smithian

I have it on good authority that Korliss wanted to transfer to UCA in order to stay closer to family, and there was mutual interest, as you might imagine. But even after a phone conversation between program leadership, CBB wouldn't release him to UCA. The reason given was, and I quote, "How would it look if I kicked him out of my program, and then he went on to rush for 2,000 yards at UCA? I'm sorry, but I can't let that happen."

So while CBB is often lauded for loving his players and taking care of them, this is one instance where he went out of his way NOT to do a favor for a UA player, albeit a departing one.

Not trying to make something out of nothing. Clearly Korliss failed to thrive post-UA, and as someone else said, I imagine he'll kick himself some day. I just found it interesting that CBB thought it was more important to maintain a certain image than to compromise on a factor that really carried no significance to the UA, but that may have really helped the kid out (being closer to family).

I am not sure this is true.

I believe you were told this, but I don't think the circumstances are accurate.

HogFoo

Quote from: jry04 on December 13, 2017, 08:19:35 pm
Correct. He can transfer without sitting out if he is dropping down a level. I do not know who his source is, but it isn't accurate. If it is, then the joke is on Korliss and his family for actually believing he couldn't go to UCA. I feel pretty confident this conversation never took place.
Yes, it is true, if you go down, you transfer without sitting out.  I dont doubt that the guy who posted he was told that was actually told that.  But, it's just fodder for what really happened.  since that story doesnt add up, it makes one wonder if Bielema actually did that as well.  Which, i am doubtful of that as well since the above part doesnt pan out.   And since Korliss didnt work out at EI.  Then that too is on him. sad story.  what could have been.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Elrod

Quote from: factchecker on December 13, 2017, 05:49:27 pm
Korliss isn't on their team anymore.

http://www.eiupanthers.com/roster.aspx?path=football

BUT they are coached by former Razorback - Kim Dameron.

Seeing the name Kim Dameron brought back a lot of old memories.  My Ex-wife and I owned a florist shop in Van Buren and a friend of hers owned one in Alma that got the job of doing his wedding.  We used a lot of our wedding equipment like brass arches, candle holders and such.  The girls did all the flower work.  The wedding was at a large Baptist Church almost down town Fayettville.  We also set up their reception at the Springdale Country Club.  I saw a lot of the Razerback players.  Some of the biggest, well built, no-necked guys I had ever seen. Kim was rather small but he was a heck of a good safety.

clutch

Being closer to home would have done him no favors at all. His problems at Fayetteville usually came after he returned from trips to home.

IronHog

Quote from: clutch on December 14, 2017, 07:06:49 am
Being closer to home would have done him no favors at all. His problems at Fayetteville usually came after he returned from trips to home.

What was that exactly?

Kid apparently had all these issues but all I ever saw him do was play the pants off B.B. favorite RB?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

It looks like he spent all of this season in Fayetteville. He took a trip to Texas for a CFL tryout. His FB page is not reassuring. I haven't found any articles mentioning why he didn't return for his SR season at EIU. It's a shame. Kid had some wheels on him.

Peter Porker

This has the smell of hot garbage.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 13, 2017, 02:36:20 pm
Please, let me google that for you.

E. illinois

Sorry the OP wasted your time. For my part, I learned some things from this thread about Korliss I might have not known otherwise.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Hawgndaaz

Here's one for you.

1. Don't do drugs
2. Go to class
3. stay out of trouble.

Follow steps 1-3 and you can run for 2k yards at an SEC school instead.

Razorbackers

This is a lie.

DeltaBoy

Sad story of a kid with great talent who threw it way.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

gibby

I will forgive you for your ignorance of the rules. It is accurate that you don't have to sit out, but you still must receive a transfer release in order to go on scholarship at the new school. 

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

IronHog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on December 14, 2017, 08:07:25 am
Here's one for you.

1. Don't do drugs
2. Go to class
3. stay out of trouble.

Follow steps 1-3 and you can run for 2k yards at an SEC school instead.

All rumors and innuendo

He's not the kid on TV with bloodshot eyes

The Hawg Marshal

He definitely had lots of potential. It's a shame that other things got in the way of it.

Uncle Remus

After posting yesterday, I did some looking around on Korliss, and from what I found on Facebook, it looks like he is still trying to find himself and where he fits in things.  One of his posts mentioned that every time he thinks something is starting to go his way, something comes along that takes him back to square one.  I hope he finds his way to something positive as the kid definitely had some special talent and ability.  Wish him the best.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: gibby on December 14, 2017, 08:27:03 am
I will forgive you for your ignorance of the rules. It is accurate that you don't have to sit out, but you still must receive a transfer release in order to go on scholarship at the new school. 

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

Where are all you know it all who were so rude before? Any of you decent enough to offer up apologies?

Razorbackers

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 15, 2017, 12:52:45 am
Where are all you know it all who were so rude before? Any of you decent enough to offer up apologies?

Still a lie.

"Getting Permission to Contact

The first step when transferring from a four-year school is to obtain permission to contact other schools. There are different rules for NCAA Divisions I and II, Division III, and NAIA.

Special Circumstances for NCAA Division I and II Transfers

In Division I and II, a student-athlete must request permission to contact other schools about a transfer. Requests can be formal or informal, in writing or oral. Most requests are less formal and during a discussion between an athlete and a coach or administrator. But the NCAA rules about requesting permission to contact only apply if an athlete makes a written request for permission to contact another school.

Once a student-athlete makes a written request for permission to contact other schools, the school has seven business days in Division I or 14 calendar days in Division II to grant to deny the request. If the request is denied, the school must notify the athlete in writing and offer a hearing with a group that does not include anyone from the athletic department. If the athlete wants a hearing, the school has 15 business days in Division I or 30 calendar days in Division II to complete the hearing and provide the results to the athlete. If the school misses either deadline, permission is automatically granted.

If permission to contact another school is denied, two things happen. First, the school must stop recruiting the athlete. Second, the school may not give the athlete an athletic scholarship for the first year the athlete attends the school. An athlete may still transfer and practice with the team, and even compete in some very odd circumstances though."

There would be a letter, there would be a hearing, it would have gone public, CBB would have been roasted for not letting a kid transfer down.

It didn't happen, at least not like OP said it did.

Cinco de Hogo

There are possibilities for misinterpretation and also misinformation is these circumstances.  Nobody on this board can say truth or lie with and certainty.

What we do know is Marshall was having trouble either staying out of trouble or staying out of BB's doghouse which in the end might be the same thing.  On the field when available he wasn't used any better than TJ Hammonds has been in his two years.

Maybe we have corrected the real problem!

clutch

Quote from: IronHog on December 14, 2017, 08:30:59 am

All rumors and innuendo

He's not the kid on TV with bloodshot eyes

Not all rumors and innuendo, all true. I've known the kid since he was in Jr. High. He has problems with his decision making. He's not a bad kid, he is just easily influenced and if he gets around the wrong crowd he falls into bad habits.

IronHog

Quote from: clutch on December 15, 2017, 09:13:59 am
Not all rumors and innuendo, all true. I've known the kid since he was in Jr. High. He has problems with his decision making. He's not a bad kid, he is just easily influenced and if he gets around the wrong crowd he falls into bad habits.

BB probably the worst coach a kid like that could end up with

He'd rather run him off than put the tough love in

Razorbackers

Quote from: IronHog on December 15, 2017, 11:30:43 am

Yeah Bret was well known for cutting kids loose instead of giving them extra chances and tough love.

Oh wait the opposite of that is true.

I don't know why you guys have to make darn up about coaches that failed here. He got fired, we got a new coach, lets move on.

clutch

Bielema actually gave him more chances than most on here knew about. It definitely wasn't Bielema's fault that Korliss didn't make it in Fayetteville. That staff did quite a bit to try to straighten him up and keep him around.

ChicoHog

Quote from: clutch on December 15, 2017, 01:19:21 pm
Bielema actually gave him more chances than most on here knew about. It definitely wasn't Bielema's fault that Korliss didn't make it in Fayetteville. That staff did quite a bit to try to straighten him up and keep him around.
No kidding.  I get so tired of fans blaming coaches when kids can't get their crap together.  Once they have broken rules 3 and 4 times it's time to move on. 

hogcards

Truth of the matter is, he probably shouldn't have been in college to begin with.

I may be wrong, but wasn't Marshall the player that actually pulled the "hands up, don't shoot" nonsense in the end zone during a game against Missouri?
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hawganatic

Okay, so instead of broad general statements like this, let's talk about the players you feel he ran off prematurely.

Go...

a shady hog

Quote from: hogcards on December 15, 2017, 02:35:00 pm
Truth of the matter is, he probably shouldn't have been in college to begin with.

I may be wrong, but wasn't Marshall the player that actually pulled the "hands up, don't shoot" nonsense in the end zone during a game against Missouri?
No that was Jonathan Williams during a Mizzu game.

CampuspostmanHOG