Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long

Started by cram224, October 16, 2017, 02:03:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redneckfriend

Long has done a pretty good job. Finding a coach who can win enough games in the SEC west to meet the unrealistic expectations of fans is the equivalent of finding a unicorn.

Bielema was a good hire at the time. There were red flags- he has never had a reputation as a recruiter, he ran on offense predicated on finding good run blockers on the O-line and a power running game is difficult unless your name is Alabama. He hasn't adjusted quickly enough to develop an offense to fit the talent he can recruit. But having said that he looked good at the time he was hired- winning head coach at a P5 school. You are not going to find that resume again and it doesn't matter who the AD is. The only realistic hope is a head coach who can sell Ferraris to Eskimos or one as unbending and demanding of perfection as Petrino (a Long hire by the way).

The_Iceman

Jeff Long has done nothing to warrant losing his job.

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 17, 2017, 10:47:20 am
Jeff Long has done nothing to warrant losing his job.

Hiring Smiley and then hiring a head coach who runs an offense that is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the one the players that were already on campus were recruited to run is more than reason enough.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jkstock04

Beginning of season mantra:

Going to win 8-10 games, Vegas doesn't know what they are talking about...easy money on the Hogs. Jeff Long is a genius AD for hiring Bielema. We are building things the right way...no matter how much the haters want to ignore it.

Middle of season mantra:

Hiring Bielema hasn't worked out but was an amazing hire "at the time." Jeff Long is one of the most respected and best ADs in the country. No other person in the United States could make "Arkansas" a profitable sports program like Jeff Long has magically done.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 10:51:59 am
Hiring Smiley and then hiring a head coach who runs an offense that is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the one the players that were already on campus were recruited to run is more than reason enough.

another poster who looks at fuhbawl as the only sport. Guess none of the other athletes at the UofA are worth anything, huh.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 10:57:23 am
another poster who looks at fuhbawl as the only sport. Guess none of the other athletes at the UofA are worth anything, huh.

No, monetarily they are not.  Basketball is the only other sport that pays it's way.  The rest operate at a loss and are carried by football.

nchogg

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 16, 2017, 06:51:46 pm
Well, you just might be a carpetbagger...   >:(
I seriously doubt he is. He cares as much about the program as anyone else but not with the superior hate attitude you have.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 10:57:23 am

It isn't the only sport on campus but it's the only sport that pays for scholarships for athletes in the other sports. When it comes to raising money for the Athletic Department, the football program is the bell cow by far. When it starts losing money and foundation donations start dropping, it affects all of the other sports in a BIG way.

EastexHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 17, 2017, 10:53:13 am
Beginning of season mantra:

Going to win 8-10 games, Vegas doesn't know what they are talking about...easy money on the Hogs. Jeff Long is a genius AD for hiring Bielema. We are building things the right way...no matter how much the haters want to ignore it.

Middle of season mantra:

Hiring Bielema hasn't worked out but was an amazing hire "at the time." Jeff Long is one of the most respected and best ADs in the country. No other person in the United States could make "Arkansas" a profitable sports program like Jeff Long has magically done.

This team underachieves even for a program with modest expectations.  I don't bet on football, but we haven't covered a spread this year.  In fact, we are (I think) 0-8 against the spread going back to November of last year.  We got 31 in some places against Bama and still couldn't cover.

Even though people now understand how bad we are we still can't meet that lowly standard.

factchecker

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 16, 2017, 09:40:58 pm
Every school in the SEC makes a profit.  Every one of them.  Kentucky, the Mississippi schools, Missouri, South Carolina...all of them.  I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about the idea that the SEC contracts are so lucrative, and that every school gets so much money, that a drunk college student couldn't put one of them in the red if he tried.

Before the NEZ expansion we had one of the lowest total debt amount in the SEC: (see page 6).

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/DWRRS-Renovation-and-NEZ-Addition-BOT-Presentation.pdf
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 10:32:21 am
Calling for the AD to be fired is much easier than facing up to the actual problems with the football program. Many of which stem from Arkansas being to small and too white, and I am referring to the state not the team.
CBP last 2 years here proved you are wrong.finished in the top 15 one year.and in the top 5 the next year.he proved that you can win here.even Nutt had some good years.not many,but a few.no matter how many excuses you make.Arkansas can do better than this.so stop with the poor little Arkansas crap!

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 11:03:03 am

It isn't the only sport on campus but it's the only sport that pays for scholarships for athletes in the other sports. When it comes to raising money for the Athletic Department, the football program is the bell cow by far. When it starts losing money and foundation donations start dropping, it affects all of the other sports in a BIG way.

And it is not going to lose money because people have shown over and over they are going to buy tickets and donate money because it is the only way in Ar to stroke their own egos. Having season tickets or a suite at RRS is the equivalent of having those things in a NFL stadium in a big city. IT is the best way for people so inclined to see and be seen. You could give the same $ to a art program or band program and no one would know or care, but tell people you have season tickets on the 50 or a suite at rrs and you are a big dog in whatever group you run in.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 17, 2017, 11:15:18 am
CBP last 2 years here proved you are wrong.finished in the top 15 one year.and in the top 5 the next year.he proved that you can win here.even Nutt had some good years.not many,but a few.no matter how many excuses you make.Arkansas can do better than this.so stop with the poor little Arkansas crap!

How is that locking up Pelphrey thing working out for you between being physically ill over the actions of 18-22 yr old kids?

BP DID NOTHING that coaches before him and coaches after him have not or will not do. JFB, Holtz, Hatfield all had as good of or better seasons than BP did. BB may not, but they coach after him or the next guy will do it. But they WILL NOT sustain it.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 11:03:03 am

Let us know when football starts losing money and donations drop any precipitous amount.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 11:22:48 am
Let us know when football starts losing money and donations drop any precipitous amount.

Hang around. If Bret and Jeff stay around, it'll happen. By the way, the Auburn game this weekend isn't close to selling out. I wonder why.

Hogwild

Quote from: swineology on October 16, 2017, 06:55:54 pm
Keep Jeff Long!

The rallying cry of 13 SEC school's fan bases.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 11:31:11 am
Hang around. If Bret and Jeff stay around, it'll happen. By the way, the Auburn game this weekend isn't close to selling out. I wonder why.
Around 1200 tickets left, depends on your definition of close. I'll be hanging around, going to games, and donating money. I don't base my support for the program on who the AD or HC is.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 11:38:47 am
Around 1200 tickets left, depends on your definition of close. I'll be hanging around, going to games, and donating money. I don't base my support for the program on who the AD or HC is.

Most people don't base their donation on who the HC is. They base it on whether the team is winning or not.

East Clintwood

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 17, 2017, 10:53:13 am

.  .  .  Jeff Long is one of the most respected and best ADs in the country. No other person in the United States could make "Arkansas" a profitable sports program like Jeff Long has magically done.

What?

His "most respected" status hasn't helped him find another job btw so it must not count for much.

There are thousands of competent businessmen out there who could do an equal job with the financial side of the athletic department.

The SEC sends him a huge check every year and Long jacks up the ticket prices every couple of years.  Then just control expenses.  The department was profitable for many years before Jeffy ever got here.

It's not rocket surgery.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

The_Iceman

1) he didn't have many choice when hiring JLS. It was the end of April. There wasn't anyone out there.

2) offense hasn't exactly been the problem most years with this team. His offensive line in this year, but not scoring points.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 11:38:47 am

Of those 1200 how many were returned by Auburn?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The_Iceman

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 17, 2017, 11:15:18 am

Arkansas can do better than this, you are right. But blaming Jeff Long for Bielema's coaching is asinine. Long made an excellent hire, it just isn't panning out. No reason to fire him because you are angry and need someone to vent your anger on.

gchamblee

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 17, 2017, 11:57:30 am
1) he didn't have many choice when hiring JLS. It was the end of April. There wasn't anyone out there.

2) offense hasn't exactly been the problem most years with this team. His offensive line in this year, but not scoring points.

(1) Phil Fulmer wanted the interim job and he would have been light years better than Smiley.

(2) Offense has  been a problem from day 1.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 12:11:56 pm
(1) Phil Fulmer wanted the interim job and he would have been light years better than Smiley.

Fulmer wanted a 4 year deal.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

gchamblee

Quote from: grayhawg on October 16, 2017, 09:38:36 pm
We are in the bottom 1/2 of the SEC.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/ranking_the_richest_and_poores.html

This is like being ranked 10th in the country and complaining that we are the worst of the 10 therefore we suck.

gchamblee

If that is your criteria, then he should have been fired for hiring CBP because that was the exact opposite of what the players on campus were recruited to run.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 12:14:00 pm

It would have been well worth giving him a shot at it and he would have been light years better than Smiley.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 12:18:18 pm
It would have been well worth giving him a shot at it and he would have been light years better than Smiley.

Not worth four years it's not.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

The team would have been far better off with Fulmer at the helm than they are under Bret.

gchamblee

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 17, 2017, 11:56:00 am
What?

His "most respected" status hasn't helped him find another job btw so it must not count for much.

There are thousands of competent businessmen out there who could do an equal job with the financial side of the athletic department.

The SEC sends him a huge check every year and Long jacks up the ticket prices every couple of years.  Then just control expenses.  The department was profitable for many years before Jeffy ever got here.

It's not rocket surgery.

You have a link to anything showing him actually look for another job? You do realize when a school shows interest in him it doesn't mean he is interested in that school right?

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on October 17, 2017, 12:00:12 pm
Of those 1200 how many were returned by Auburn?
Well, Auburn returned around 2000, but they've sold some of those. The last 8-8 rows of 111 were returned along with 509 and 510. They've sold about 1/3 of those, there's another 700 or so spread out across the stadium, the biggest amount in 508.

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 12:11:56 pm

2015 would like to have a talk with you

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 12:19:48 pm
The team would have been far better off with Fulmer at the helm than they are under Bret.

I would have been just fine with it had they hired Fulmer.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on October 17, 2017, 12:16:39 pm
If that is your criteria, then he should have been fired for hiring CBP because that was the exact opposite of what the players on campus were recruited to run.

Not true. Hooty ran a more open offense than Bret did when Bret arrived on campus.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 11:50:04 am
Most people don't base their donation on who the HC is. They base it on whether the team is winning or not.

Well, we've seem to be about the same every year, outside of donating for projects since the RSVP. That's because season tickets are within a 7-8% range since then.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on October 17, 2017, 12:21:37 pm
2015 would like to have a talk with you

About what? The O-Line was atrocious as was the rest of the offense.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 12:26:04 pm
About what? The O-Line was atrocious as was the rest of the offense.

We scored 36 pts/game, good for second in the SEC.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

Quote from: Wildhog on October 17, 2017, 12:27:55 pm
Well, that sucks.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on October 17, 2017, 12:27:55 pm

Everyone focuses on offense cause that is what revs their motor. Offense puts butts in the stands, defense wins titles.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 12:30:04 pm
Everyone focuses on offense cause that is what revs their motor. Offense puts butts in the stands, defense wins titles.

Well, when we get the talent to field a top defense, I'll focus on that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

NoogaHog

Quote from: Grag T on October 16, 2017, 04:23:24 pm
Well I still don't get all the hate and venom so many Hogville folk throw at Mr. Long to be honest.  Seems to be running things well, making nice upgrades here and there that fans get to enjoy.  He even hired someone to coach football who looked absolutely excellent on paper; that doesn't seem to be working out so well though, so he will have to deal with that as any boss should.  People hated Long for the buyout on that deal, then found out the buyout wasn't the outlandish number they were led to believe.  With that, what is there left for people to be so doggone mad at him about? 

Maybe I just live too far away to keep up with these things.  Seems like a decent chap from my house though.  Maybe the problem is that I can't tell much difference between coke and pepsi, since I'm not a big soda drinker anyway.

I feel ya, man.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 12:23:42 pm
Not true. Hooty ran a more open offense than Bret did when Bret arrived on campus.

Not true and I can prove it with numbers but I lack the energy to do it. I know you well enough to know that showing you the data wouldn't keep you from continuing to tell this lie.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 17, 2017, 12:31:08 pm
Well, when we get the talent to field a top defense, I'll focus on that.

Biggest disappointment for me this year is the offense, we miss RWIII, and the WR's. Oh, and some blocking.......

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 12:34:02 pm
Biggest disappointment for me this year is the offense, we miss RWIII, and the WR's. Oh, and some blocking.......

If only there was someone with the foresight to realize we should have signed more offensive tackles...
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on October 17, 2017, 12:35:15 pm
If only there was someone with the foresight to realize we should have signed more offensive tackles...

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 17, 2017, 12:35:15 pm

My kingdom for an OT.........or two......

Wildhog

We should sign an entire offensive line every class.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 12:14:00 pm

Yes, and a reasonable AD with a lick of sense would have given him one with a piddly arse buyout.  That way, if after one year, he is doing well, keep him.  If not, cut him lose.  That way, he would have coached and recruited as if he were going to be around.  That way, the players would have been accountable because the coach might be back next year.

But the absolute worst thing you could do is take an absolute buffoon and give him a one year contract ensuring that there was no in encentive to recruit, no accountability for players or coaches, no plan to sell.  In short a completely wasted year.

And YES, I said so at the time.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on October 17, 2017, 12:39:40 pm
We should sign an entire offensive line every class.

I agree with that.