Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long is emphatic: Arkansas coach Bret Bielema isn’t on the hot seat

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 03, 2017, 06:16:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 23, 2017, 02:18:56 pm
Dave Van horn I believe has had 1 losing season here and I believe has been in he playoffs almost every year except that 1 season.  He among the 3 big sports has been the most successful coach we have had since Nolan Richardson.

I agree whole heartedly but DVH is the only HC of a major sport at the U of A that was hired before Jeff Long came to Arkansas. One has to wonder how long it will be before Jeff Long decides that he wants his man coaching baseball and not Frank Broyles' man.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on June 23, 2017, 02:42:22 pm
I agree whole heartedly but DVH is the only HC of a major sport at the U of A that was hired before Jeff Long came to Arkansas. One has to wonder how long it will be before Jeff Long decides that he wants his man coaching baseball and not Frank Broyles' man.

Yep, I bet he fires him within the next year or 2 to hire his own guy. Dumb post is dumb.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

DVH was also the last coach JFB was allowed to hire on his own. He did what he used to do, went out with a check, talked to the guy he wanted, and got the deal done. No committees, no interviews. When JFB was allowed to hire coaches that way he was pretty darn successful. Eddie, Nolan, Lou, Hatfield, Gary Blair, John McDonald. Did JFB hire Norm?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

southeasthog

Wow. Just wow. You can't really believe........Oh wait. You're Guving again.

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2017, 02:31:19 pm
He was always going to be here through 2018 short of going 3-9/4-8 prior to that time.
Losing dang near every game his first year really set the bar low and allowed for incremental improvement until last season. He did it right in that respect. Coaches like Malzahn and Sumlin put together great seasons early and now their jobs are on the line.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 23, 2017, 03:19:43 pm
Yep, I bet he fires him within the next year or 2 to hire his own guy. Dumb post is dumb.

After the stunt he pulled in April of 2012, I wouldn't put anything past Jeff Long.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 23, 2017, 07:58:45 pm
After the stunt he pulled in April of 2012, I wouldn't put anything past Jeff Long.

The stunt HE pulled?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: southeasthog on June 23, 2017, 03:39:49 pm
Wow. Just wow. You can't really believe........Oh wait. You're Guving again.

Remember, I have a low opinion of Jeff Long.

snoblind

Quote from: GuvHog on June 23, 2017, 08:05:33 pm
Remember, I have a low opinion of Jeff Long.

Meh.  So do I.  But that's not a reason to go full retard.  One should never go full retard.

GuvHog

Quote from: snoblind on June 23, 2017, 08:25:56 pm
Meh.  So do I.  But that's not a reason to go full retard.  One should never go full retard.

Nothing retard about it. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jeff Long pull a stunt like that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on June 23, 2017, 08:02:52 pm
The stunt HE pulled?

No kidding, he wasn't pulling anything...................someone else was.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

Quote from: gchamblee on June 19, 2017, 01:31:20 pm
It his way of trying to shame the fans that still support the coach. He doesn't really have much tolerance for fans that share a different opinion than he does.
Sounds about right.  I love the program, but think certain rebuilds take longer than others.  Not sure why HC64 is upset, his primary team has Nick Saban...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GuvHog

Pork Twain

Quote from: GuvHog on June 24, 2017, 08:13:05 am
Yes, the stunt HE pulled.
Are you talking about when he ran BP off the road with his mistress on the back of his Harley?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: GuvHog on June 24, 2017, 08:13:05 am
Yes, the stunt HE pulled.

Well might as well get over it.  It's year 5. Maybe BP should have thought with his big head instead of his little head. He was fired and it's done. BP isn't coming back. Jeff Long isn't going anywhere and he isn't going to fire BB for at least 2 more years. So get over that also.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 24, 2017, 08:30:11 am
Are you talking about when he ran BP off the road with his mistress on the back of his Harley?

Simply put, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Long handled the situation horribly.

GuvHog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 24, 2017, 08:54:28 am
Well might as well get over it.  It's year 5. Maybe BP should have thought with his big head instead of his little head. He was fired and it's done. BP isn't coming back. Jeff Long isn't going anywhere and he isn't going to fire BB for at least 2 more years. So get over that also.

I agree BP isn't coming back but Jeff still handled the situation horribly.

For the record, I like CBB and I want him to have success as head Hog.

Pork Twain

Quote from: GuvHog on June 24, 2017, 08:55:21 am
Simply put, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Long handled the situation horribly.
How would you have handled it Guv?  I have seen numerous leaders removed for much less, because at the end of the day, those guys have to be able to hold their subordinates to a standard it at least appears they themselves are maintaining.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 24, 2017, 08:57:16 am
I agree BP isn't coming back but Jeff still handled the situation horribly.

For the record, I like CBB and I want him to have success as head Hog.

I'm not sure where you come up with this line of thinking.

You are a VP, one of your Manager's hires a woman that he is having an affair with instead of hiring others (conflict of interest), proceeds to have a wreck with her on his bike, lies to you about it, makes a public statement about it trying to maintain the lie and cover up the affair, publicly embarrasses your company when it is found to be a blatant lie and all you do is give him a little slap on the hand? Oh Guv, that is just way out there. All Petrino had to do was make his first call the call that went to Jeff Long and damage control might have ensued and might have saved his job. But that isn't how it all went down and Jeff Long was absolutely right in firing Petrino. Had it been a regular company he still might have survived, but with it being a state university, BP torpedoed his own ship. A self inflicted wound.
Go Hogs Go!

wildhogman

Quote from: GuvHog on June 23, 2017, 07:58:45 pm
you mean firing the man that is 0-fer against the SEC last year? Lets not let facts get in the way. All that talent and didn't win 10 and couldn't even beat UK. The same Man who's team lost to Houston who had been beaten by SMU?  SMU!! Heck remeber our history? Losing to SMU was a firing offense. An embarrassment back in the 90's. So what is it for a coach who lost to a team who was beaten by them? One day many years from now hogville wont have to endure certain peoples enduring love fest for Harley bobby the boobman petrino

Wildhog

Quote from: wildhogman on June 24, 2017, 01:21:03 pm
you mean firing the man that is 0-fer against the SEC last year? Lets not let facts get in the way. All that talent and didn't win 10 and couldn't even beat UK. The same Man who's team lost to Houston who had been beaten by SMU?  SMU!! Heck remeber our history? Losing to SMU was a firing offense. An embarrassment back in the 90's. So what is it for a coach who lost to a team who was beaten by them? One day many years from now hogville wont have to endure certain peoples enduring love fest for Harley bobby the boobman petrino

0fer against the SEC?

The only Arkansas head coach that's ever gone 0fer against the SEC is the current one.
1909/1964/1965/1977

wildhogman

Quote from: Wildhog on June 24, 2017, 01:25:15 pm
0fer against the SEC?

The only Arkansas head coach that's ever gone 0fer against the SEC is the current one.
How many games did CBP coached lousville win against sec last year?? hint, lost to UK and to LSU.  0-fer, zero, nadda, none, zilch. and I didn't mention Arkansas coach going o-fer anywhere in my post. I did mention how exstatic we were to finally beat smu back in the 90's. Imagine Ford being beaten by a team that lost to SMU in the 90's.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: wildhogman on June 24, 2017, 01:35:03 pm
How many games did CBP coached lousville win against sec last year?? hint, lost to UK and to LSU.  0-fer, zero, nadda, none, zilch. and I didn't mention Arkansas coach going o-fer anywhere in my post. I did mention how exstatic we were to finally beat smu back in the 90's. Imagine Ford being beaten by a team that lost to SMU in the 90's.

He isn't coaching in the sec. So really who cares how he does against the sec. The fact is our coach has gone 0 for SEC. 

Wildhog

Quote from: wildhogman on June 24, 2017, 01:35:03 pm

Imagine losing to Toledo.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

CBP earned his firing, but trying to diminish his success is just dumb.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HiggiePiggy

Yep. BP was the greatest football coach we have had since joining the SEC. wish he would have thought with his big head instead of his little head.  Maybe he would still be here today.  Really does suck because Arkansas is usually a mediocre program and for a small stretch we were able to prove that we are better than average.

Dwillhog66

Bunch of whiners in this thread.
It's hilarious that some of u consider yourselves fans of the Hogs.
Before any of you try to explain that you are fans I'll give u the definition of it.

Fan
noun
Definition of fan
:  an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
:  an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit) science-fiction fans

Based on that some of you can definitely say you are a fan of BP

HiggiePiggy

Coaches are what make programs.  Fans were a lot happier winning 10 and a 11 games instead of 6 and 7 and 2 losses at the end of a season that should have been a 9 win season. 

Dwillhog66

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 24, 2017, 03:43:30 pm
Coaches are what make programs.  Fans were a lot happier winning 10 and a 11 games instead of 6 and 7 and 2 losses at the end of a season that should have been a 9 win season.

Keep on whining, you're making such a big difference.
Coaches come and go. You're either a fan of the hogs or not, regardless of who the coach is.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on June 24, 2017, 04:01:07 pm
Coaches come and go. You're either a fan of the hogs or not, regardless of who the coach is.

Ok..... so you are cool with mediocre programs. Most want the program to be better. All I said is he is the best coach we have had since joining the SEC. I know he isn't coming back and I am not upset that he was fired.  What we have now is annoying. It reminds me of Nutt losing games that we should have won.  Winning games into the second half and watching them fall apart in the second half to lose on a yearly basis is getting very old.

You go on ahead and beat your mediocre stick and be glad with it and don't say a word when they have a really bad season because to you it's all about the school. No it isn't. College football has never been about the school it has always been about the coaches. It is why schools pay them so much because THEY make programs. THEY bring in the money that schools love to see.

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 24, 2017, 10:49:39 am
I'm not sure where you come up with this line of thinking.

You are a VP, one of your Manager's hires a woman that he is having an affair with instead of hiring others (conflict of interest), proceeds to have a wreck with her on his bike, lies to you about it, makes a public statement about it trying to maintain the lie and cover up the affair, publicly embarrasses your company when it is found to be a blatant lie and all you do is give him a little slap on the hand? Oh Guv, that is just way out there. All Petrino had to do was make his first call the call that went to Jeff Long and damage control might have ensued and might have saved his job. But that isn't how it all went down and Jeff Long was absolutely right in firing Petrino. Had it been a regular company he still might have survived, but with it being a state university, BP torpedoed his own ship. A self inflicted wound.

It has been disclosed that Jeff Long's notes show that Petrino did not recommend JD for the job, he recommended another young lady. He did not hire JD. The affair was wrong and giving her the money was wrong. It wasn't very smart of him not to be totally honest with Jeff Long either. The fact remains though, that there were no recruiting violations, the U of A was in no danger of being investigated by the NCAA, No laws were broken, and there were no APR problems on the horizon. The guy ran a clean program that just finished #5 in the nation the previous year. Long should have handled things in house with BP and disciplined him privately, then announced in a press conference that the issue had been settle and corrections made. Firing him was a knee jerk reaction that was out of line.

That being said, what's done is done. CBB is the U of A HC now and I sincerely hope he has success starting with this coming season.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 24, 2017, 06:07:17 pm
It has been disclosed that Jeff Long's notes show that Petrino did not recommend JD for the job, he recommended another young lady. He did not hire JD. The affair was wrong and giving her the money was wrong. It wasn't very smart of him not to be totally honest with Jeff Long either. The fact remains though, that there were no recruiting violations, the U of A was in no danger of being investigated by the NCAA, No laws were broken, and there were no APR problems on the horizon. The guy ran a clean program that just finished #5 in the nation the previous year. Long should have handled things in house with BP and disciplined him privately, then announced in a press conference that the issue had been settle and corrections made. Firing him was a knee jerk reaction that was out of line.

That being said, what's done is done. CBB is the U of A HC now and I sincerely hope he has success starting with this coming season.

His success is irrelevant.  The firing was warranted.  Get over it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on June 24, 2017, 04:01:07 pm

Man, I'm a dyed in the wool Hogs fan that's bled Cardinal red since the early 60's and I always will be one but that doesn't mean I have to like what has gone on with the football program since April of 2012. Yeah, I like Bobby Petrino and I appreciate his accomplishments as Hog HC but that doesn't mean I want him back. I happen to like Bret Bielema and I hope he has success at Arkansas. I still have a low opinion of Jeff Long though and would not shed a tear if he packed his bags and left tomorrow.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 24, 2017, 06:15:17 pm
His success is irrelevant.  The firing was warranted.  Get over it.

No it wasn't, it was a silly knee-jerk reaction by Long.

I got over Bobby a long time ago but Jeff Long is a different story.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 24, 2017, 06:21:35 pm
No it wasn't, it was a silly knee-jerk reaction by Long.

I got over Bobby a long time ago but Jeff Long is a different story.

Bobby could have saved himself, but HE's the one that did EVERYTHING wrong. 

I'm a huge Petrino fan.  Wish he was still here.  But that firing was totally justified, and it only takes a little bit of sense to see that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 24, 2017, 06:23:35 pm
Bobby could have saved himself, but HE's the one that did EVERYTHING wrong. 

I'm a huge Petrino fan.  Wish he was still here.  But that firing was totally justified, and it only takes a little bit of sense to see that.

Jeff long wants people to believe that BP's firing was justified but it wasn't.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 24, 2017, 06:27:46 pm
Jeff long wants people to believe that BP's firing was justified but it wasn't.

Jeff Long didn't have to convince anyone of that.  Anyone with a lick of common sense knew it was justified.

Not that I didn't want him to be retained, because I did.  But Bobby did more than enough to warrant losing his job.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 24, 2017, 06:28:23 pm
Jeff Long didn't have to convince anyone of that.  Anyone with a lick of common sense knew it was justified.

Not that I didn't want him to be retained, because I did.  But Bobby did more than enough to warrant losing his job.

What he did, didn't merit termination. If there were laws broken,  recruiting violations and a threat of an NCAA investigation. or the program was being run poorly with APR problems, his firing would have made sense but none of those things happened. He had off of the field issues in his private life but nothing he should have been fired for.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 24, 2017, 06:07:17 pm

Let's see the link to those notes that you say have been disclosed that verify that Petrino didn't have anything to do with hiring his girlfriend.
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 24, 2017, 06:38:49 pm
What he did, didn't merit termination. If there were laws broken,  recruiting violations and a threat of an NCAA investigation. or the program was being run poorly with APR problems, his firing would have made sense but none of those things happened. He had off of the field issues in his private life but nothing he should have been fired for.

He was fired because when Long told him how it was going to be (per Petrino, "He was trying to make me a monk"), Petrino thought he could bluff Long. By the time he figured out Long didn't bluff, Bobby's ass was out the door.

Here is what Petrino didn't get, and you don't either. Do you know what Jeff Long, Bret Bielema, Dave Van Horn, and Mike Anderson all have in common? They all represent the University of Arkansas 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. That means if any of them is going to engage in personal conduct that might publicly embarrass the University of Arkansas if it got out, then they better damn well make sure it doesn't get out. 

Wildhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 24, 2017, 06:58:17 pm
He was fired because when Long told him how it was going to be (per Petrino, "He was trying to make me a monk"), Petrino thought he could bluff Long. By the time he figured out Long didn't bluff, Bobby's ass was out the door.

Here is what Petrino didn't get, and you don't either. Do you know what Jeff Long, Bret Bielema, Dave Van Horn, and Mike Anderson all have in common? They all represent the University of Arkansas 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. That means if any of them is going to engage in personal conduct that might publicly embarrass the University of Arkansas if it got out, then they better damn well make sure it doesn't get out. 

This.  If Petrino had been honest with Long upfront, we would have never heard about it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Cinco de Hogo

When will you people get it through your head that the affair was only what gave the Univeristy grounds to fire him.  The DESIRE to fire him stemmed from something else entirely.  And no what that was you can't find a link for.  The ones on here that think they know things and are close to the program, you have no idea about why Petrino was fired.  You can spout off things that make the program and Jeff Long look good all you want but even though he wasn't in control of the situation I am still not a fan of his.  But there are worse things and worse people. 

Ha I waited 10 pages to say that once again! 

Wildhog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 24, 2017, 07:04:47 pm
When will you people get it through your head that the affair was only what gave the Univeristy grounds to fire him.  The DESIRE to fire him stemmed from something else entirely.  And no what that was you can't find a link for.  The ones on here that think they know things and are close to the program, you have no idea about why Petrino was fired.  You can spout off things that make the program and Jeff Long look good all you want but even though he wasn't in control of the situation I am still not a fan of his.  But there are worse things and worse people. 

I have no idea if there underlying reasons or not, but Petrino gave them all the reasons they needed. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Well, please tell us why.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Wildhog on June 24, 2017, 07:07:23 pm
I have no idea if there underlying reasons or not, but Petrino gave them all the reasons they needed.

Yes, yes indeed he did.  Possibly a very well laid trap and that is what I choose to believe based on all I have read and heard to go along with other things I know about.  Nobody on this board can provide undeniable proof of anything as as final judgement on what transpired.  Some obviously believe that the only stand to take is one that puts the U of A in the best light and I understand that.  I don't choose to go that route myself no more than I would if were any other situation where the PTB didn't act above board. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on June 24, 2017, 07:14:39 pm
Well, please tell us why.

Haha, when the book comes out I'll tell you if it's right or not. 😉

MuskogeeHogFan

You know, when you are a guy with a strong headed personality and you have a tendency to think that you are untouchable and you can do anything that you want to do, you had better bust your arse to reel your usual personality in a bit and build quality, personal relationships with people who are in power so that when you get your arse in a crack, they will go to bat for you.

But when you ignore those things and think that you are above reproach, one day eventually, you are going to find yourself in a position where you need those folks and if you haven't done your part, your "stuff" and your "baggage" are in the wind. Eventually, it doesn't matter how good of an offensive mind that you have when you frequently are taking a dump on those who hold your future in their hands. You screw around, step in a big enough hole, look for a hand up and out of that hole, and no one is there to help you. That, was what happened to BP and if he had just contacted Long first and had not lied and had been appropriately contrite, he might have saved his job. But his ego is bigger than his better judgement.
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 24, 2017, 07:21:16 pm
You know, when you are a guy with a strong headed personality and you have a tendency to think that you are untouchable and you can do anything that you want to do, you had better bust your arse to reel your usual personality in a bit and build quality, personal relationships with people who are in power so that when you get your arse in a crack, they will go to bat for you.

But when you ignore those things and think that you are above reproach, one day eventually, you are going to find yourself in a position where you need those folks and if you haven't done your part, your "stuff" and your "baggage" are in the wind. Eventually, it doesn't matter how good of an offensive mind that you have when you frequently are taking a dump on those who hold your future in their hands. You screw around, step in a big enough hole, look for a hand up and out of that hole, and no one is there to help you. That, was what happened to BP and if he had just contacted Long first and had not lied and had been appropriately contrite, he might have saved his job. But his ego is bigger than his better judgement.

He thought he was untouchable; he was Bobby friggin' Petrino. He made several errors in judgment, but the most fatal one was believing he had been too successful for Long to terminate him.

He was wrong.