Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RWIII

Started by DallasHogFan, April 29, 2017, 12:35:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

If he were my son, I would tell him to step away from football and focus on finishing his education.

gchamblee

I think you guys are overreacting to a stinger.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: gchamblee on April 30, 2017, 01:01:37 pm
pretty much. but tbf, the team/staff started it lol.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Would you stay two nights in the hospital for a stinger? I don't know, I never had one, so I don't know the protocol for one. To me, it's going to depend on what exactly caused the numbness.

GuvHog

If he were my son, He, I, and his mother would visit the Surgeon who operated on his neck and find out for sure if there is a chance he could re-injure that part of his neck, then allow him to make his own decision based on what the Doctor says.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

a0ashle

I think you're missing the point if you think it's about a stinger. The experience of this thing is inherently different for RW then just a stinger on any player. Mom saw him laying on the field, he lost feeling in a limb or two and to wonder if he this was happening again, if even for a few seconds.

Maybe this is all blown up for nothing, but you can't call this "just a stinger" because it will never be "Just a stinger" for him and his family.

jry04

FYI, the last time he was injured they thought it was a stinger. There have definitely been rumors that it is more than a stinger this time around, too. I have no idea what is and isn't true that is being said, but I do know most players tweet out or comment that they are fine and will be back. Instead, he is asking for prayers. Could be nothing to it, but could be more serious than they first thought, just like last time.

Also, regardless of what it is, it is now his 2nd neck injury in less than 3 seasons. At what point do you say enough is enough? I wouldn't blame him if it were now.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2017, 01:08:45 pm
Would you stay two nights in the hospital for a stinger? I don't know, I never had one, so I don't know the protocol for one. To me, it's going to depend on what exactly caused the numbness.

It could be that they just kept him in for observation.

Hawgar The Horrible

I've heard it said it is virtually impossible for Rawleigh to re injure his fused vertebrae. Just spitballing, but wouldn't that also negate mobility/flexibility and place other discs at a higher risk?

Wish him the best in whatever he chooses to do.

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

a0ashle

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 30, 2017, 01:14:31 pm
I've heard it said it is virtually impossible for Rawleigh to re injure his fused vertebrae. Just spitballing, but wouldn't that also negate mobility/flexibility and place other discs at a higher risk?

This is my understanding, but I also think I have heard that it increases the risk to bones above and below the fuse.

GuvHog

Quote from: jry04 on April 30, 2017, 01:11:56 pm
FYI, the last time he was injured they thought it was a stinger. There have definitely been rumors that it is more than a stinger this time around, too. I have no idea what is and isn't true that is being said, but I do know most players tweet out or comment that they are fine and will be back. Instead, he is asking for prayers. Could be nothing to it, but could be more serious than they first thought, just like last time.

Also, regardless of what it is, it is now his 2nd neck injury in less than 3 seasons. At what point do you say enough is enough? I wouldn't blame him if it were now.

The first time it happened he didn't try to get up and walk off of the field. This time he did but they would let him get up. Big difference.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: GuvHog on April 30, 2017, 01:09:22 pm
If he were my son, He, I, and his mother would visit the Surgeon who operated on his neck and find out for sure if there is a chance he could re-injure that part of his neck, then allow him to make his own decision based on what the Doctor says.
Doctor already said that it was impossible to injure that same part of his neck on a football field, it would require way more trauma than that. I do agree that that would inherently expose other parts of his neck to a higher chance of injury, albeit slight.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

SpineHog

I'm not sure it really was just a stinger. If he had weakness or numbness in more than one limb, by definition it's not a stinger.

I wonder if he had a CCN (cervical cord neruopraxia), which is where the spinal cord gets 'pinched' by an extension force that narrows the spinal canal around the cord for just an instant. It's the most likely cause of numbness/weakness in more than one limb, and is a known risk factor for more having a more serious (/potentially devastating) spinal cord injury.

If that's what he had, even if it completely resolved within a few seconds or minutes, it would be two 'close calls' he's had, and I wouldn't fault him for walking away from contact sports while he can.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: SpineHog on April 30, 2017, 01:19:40 pm
I'm not sure it really was just a stinger. If he had weakness or numbness in more than one limb, by definition it's not a stinger.

I wonder if he had a CCN (cervical cord neruopraxia), which is where the spinal cord gets 'pinched' by an extension force that narrows the spinal canal around the cord for just an instant. It's the most likely cause of numbness/weakness in more than one limb, and is a known risk factor for more having a more serious (/potentially devastating) spinal cord injury.

If that's what he had, even if it completely resolved within a few seconds or minutes, it would be two 'close calls' he's had, and I wouldn't fault him for walking away from contact sports while he can.
none of us would fault him for it. But he came back from a broken neck , so i bet he comes back again.

SpineHog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 30, 2017, 01:14:31 pm

His fused vertebrae would be fine, but fusing two vertebrae together (which are meant to move separately & distribute stress/strain equally) creates a lever arm in the spine. Meaning more rotational torque the level above/below the fusion. It's why many ppl who have back fusions wind up needing another surgery several years down the line.

a0ashle

Quote from: SpineHog on April 30, 2017, 01:22:37 pm
His fused vertebrae would be fine, but fusing two vertebrae together (which are meant to move separately & distribute stress/strain equally) creates a lever arm in the spine. Meaning more rotational torque the level above/below the fusion. It's why many ppl who have back fusions wind up needing another surgery several years down the line.

Name checks out ;)

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on April 30, 2017, 01:13:09 pm
It could be that they just kept him in for observation.

Yeah, that's usually just for overnight. I have no idea, just reporting what I heard.

Hawgar The Horrible

Thought so. And I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

GuvHog

If that were the case with RWIII, one would think the surgeon would have warned him about it and recommended that he walk away from football but he didn't.

azhog10

Finally saw the play. It didn't look as bad as some were saying. I don't think he lost feeling really at all. He rolled with legs moving, his arm looked a bit awkward but he was moving it and his fingers right away. He didn't lose the ball on contact. I think it just scared him more than anything.

jry04

Quote from: GuvHog on April 30, 2017, 01:16:57 pm
The first time it happened he didn't try to get up and walk off of the field. This time he did but they would let him get up. Big difference.
Sitting here speculating on what he could or couldn't do/feel is as stupid as it gets. It is physically impossible for him to break his neck in the same exact spot that he broke it before while playing football. That is a fact, so it is dumb to compare the two instances. If he broke his neck again it is completely unrelated to the first injury. However, there could be another underlying issue if he did in fact hurt it more serious than a stinger this time. I have no idea, and it is all speculation from anyone other than him or his DR at this point.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on April 30, 2017, 01:31:26 pm
If that were the case with RWIII, one would think the surgeon would have warned him about it and recommended that he walk away from football but he didn't.

Maybe the surgeon is a huge Hogs fan.  ;)

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: GuvHog on April 30, 2017, 01:31:26 pm

Try this... The doctor explained the risks and consequences involved following the initial surgical procedure and told RWIII the decision to play again was all up to him.

Perhaps? Maybe? Sound more plausible?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Mike_e

If everything checks out then I'd probably play him as usual.

I'd also back channel the info that if auburn or socar (both coached by or recently by muschamp) didn't play a clean game we would gut them like one of those isis geeks in northern Iraq.

I guess you can tell that I'm not a fan of the guy.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

factchecker

Quote from: Mike_e on April 30, 2017, 01:50:41 pm
If everything checks out then I'd probably play him as usual.

I'd also back channel the info that if auburn or socar (both coached by or recently by muschamp) didn't play a clean game we would gut them like one of those isis geeks in northern Iraq.

I guess you can tell that I'm not a fan of the guy.

Ole Miss had an equally dirty hit on Austin last season:

https://twitter.com/Hogtrough/status/787676550200107009

We're lucky Austin didn't end up injured.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 30, 2017, 12:36:42 pm
RWIII has long since proven his toughness and his commitment to our program. Perfectly understandable if he and his family decide that he needs to give up football. I would wish him nothing but the best.

Exactly right.  He's an amazing kid either way.

HoggusMaximus

is there any talk about him giving up football?

ricepig

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on April 30, 2017, 02:25:51 pm
is there any talk about him giving up football?

Sure, haven't you been reading this thread?

wildhogman

Quote from: factchecker on April 30, 2017, 02:08:06 pm

I don't really want us to play dirty like that. Not really. However I'd be very happy to see plays like this light a fire under our D and they start delivering revenge punishment by every means "legal". 
I hated Nutt, but I loved it when the UF QB, Wurfeul, (ever how you spell it), limped out of razorbacks stadium after they tried to run the score up. Superior took the hint and got him out of the game.  I'd love to see that defense again. Mean natured, Mean tempered, but fair, and legal

Cinco de Hogo

Their not reacting to a stinger their reacting to a trip to the hospital in an ambulance.

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: wildhogman on April 30, 2017, 06:11:55 pm
I don't really want us to play dirty like that. Not really. However I'd be very happy to see plays like this light a fire under our D and they start delivering revenge punishment by every means "legal". 
I hated Nutt, but I loved it when the UF QB, Wurfeul, (ever how you spell it), limped out of razorbacks stadium after they tried to run the score up. Superior took the hint and got him out of the game.  I'd love to see that defense again. Mean natured, Mean tempered, but fair, and legal

That wasn't a Nutt coached team.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hoglady

Quote from: Poker_hog on April 30, 2017, 02:29:05 am
Again I don't know how he was trying to move.  He didn't move like I'd expect someone with a "stinger" to move.  Both arms looked weak and floppy to me.  However, he was moving his neck with normal strength.  You'd only expect one arm to look that way with a peripheral nerve injury.  Same with the legs but to a lesser extent. 

Also agim said in an interview that rw was saying he couldn't move immediately after the hit. 

I agree with you. He appeared to initially TRY to get up and couldn't. Raised his neck numerous times - arms and legs kind of flailed and he couldn't raise up. That's what it looked like anyway.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hoggish1

Quote from: factchecker on April 30, 2017, 02:08:06 pm

Can't forget that hit on Austin—I was so pissed and couldn't understand why that guy wasn't thrown out!  Those two teams are undeniably the dirtiest in college football!

gmarv

Whether RWIII ever plays football again or not i am ready to hear he is alright.

PorkRinds

Quote from: gmarv on May 01, 2017, 09:26:15 am
Whether RWIII ever plays football again or not i am ready to hear he is alright.

He's alright.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 01, 2017, 10:11:50 am
He's alright.

He was having a burning sensation and some tingling on Sunday, from reports.

Jim Harris

If he had not had two vertebrae fused because of a previous life-threatening injury a year and a half ago before suffering a "stinger", I would agree. But in this case, I can't agree that there is any overreaction.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on May 01, 2017, 10:24:46 am
He was having a burning sensation and some tingling on Sunday, from reports.

That just doesn't sound good to me for his football future.
As a parent - I really hope he considers not playing again.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Reminds me of the definition of "minor" surgery - one that someone else is having.

LZH

I have a weird gut feeling that he may say 'enough'.......

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on May 01, 2017, 11:48:46 am
I have a weird gut feeling that he may say 'enough'.......

I feel the same way. And I won't blame him at all.

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 01, 2017, 11:53:36 am
I feel the same way. And I won't blame him at all.

Not one bit.  I know every kid's dream is to play in the NFL, and he probably could make a team somewhere one day.  But even if he plays thru college without any further injury, who's to say what could happen in the pros later?

Bacon_Bitz

Doesn't Coach B usually have a presser on Mondays?

ricepig

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on May 01, 2017, 12:04:18 pm
Doesn't Coach B usually have a presser on Mondays?

No, only during the season. He's been having one on Saturdays during spring practice.

Polecat

I hope everything turns out for the best for RWII.

Additionally, it would be a very Razorback thing for our returning leading rusher to hang up his cleats and for his 5-star brother and their family decide they want to go somewhere else and avoid the memories of Rawleigh's injuries here.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

go hogues

Quote from: Polecat on May 01, 2017, 12:41:16 pm
Additionally, it would be a very Razorback thing for our returning leading rusher to hang up his cleats and for his 5-star brother and their family decide they want to go somewhere else and avoid the memories of Rawleigh's injuries here.
OR he decides this is home for him after he sees the support given to his brother in a time of need.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

FineAsSwine

Quote from: go hogues on May 01, 2017, 12:49:20 pm
OR he decides this is home for him after he sees the support given to his brother in a time of need.

Just what I was thinking but I hope RWIII is fine and cleared to play. I believe the family trusts Coach B. and if he plays, its because all parties have talked though every contingency.

If he does come back though, I'll wince every time he takes a big hit anywhere in the upper body and neck area. I had a kid get hurt in a high school game and it took everything I had to keep it together while the doctors were looking him over.