Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Draft

Started by Dirttrackhog, April 27, 2017, 12:49:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirttrackhog

Who, where and when this year?  I may have missed a thread like this and if I did feel free to combine.

Hey Super

All of 'em. 1st round.

(sips hogville kool-aid from an umbrella laden fish bowl)
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Poker_hog

Probably won't have anyone taken the first 2 days. 

I guess it's a good think we didn't lose any elite talent off of last years team.

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

bennyl08

Wise in the late 4th to mid 5th
Sprinkle in the 5th
Skipper in the early 6th
Lebetter late 6th to early 7th
Morgan and Hatcher go within 3 picks of each other in the middle 5th
Reed becomes Mr. Irrelevant.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

daprospecta

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 27, 2017, 01:38:22 pm
Sprinkle in the 5th
Skipper in the early 6th
I could go with this.  I think Sprinkle might jump into the 4th and  I believe at least one team takes a chance with Reed.  He is a project but he could be dangerous if football becomes his life.

King Kong

Most of our guys are fringe. It just depends is someone really likes them. Outside of Wise and Sprinkle it wouldn't be super surprising to see any of the others go undrafted or get drafted.

However, do expect Ledbetter and Skipper to be drafted.

bennyl08

Quote from: daprospecta on April 27, 2017, 01:47:58 pm
I could go with this.  I think Sprinkle might jump into the 4th and  I believe at least one team takes a chance with Reed.  He is a project but he could be dangerous if football becomes his life.

He's either going to be a flyer draft pick of somebody betting on his athleticism late in the draft, or will be one of the first UDFA's that a lot of people call. He made more headlines at our pro day than any of our likely draft picks.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

King Kong

Sprinkle is that talented for sure. But he may be hurt from this deep TE class

bennyl08

Quote from: King Kong on April 27, 2017, 01:49:13 pm
Most of our guys are fringe. It just depends is someone really likes them. Outside of Wise and Sprinkle it wouldn't be super surprising to see any of the others go undrafted or get drafted.

However, do expect Ledbetter and Skipper to be drafted.

Wise and Sprinkle are locks for sure. Skipper and then Ledbetter are arguably our next two best prospects.

Hatcher and Morgan are the really interesting prospects to me.

Hatcher's combine was almost identical to Anquan Boldin's and their playing styles are very similar.

Hatcher: 6'1, 212, 4.64 forty, 16 reps on bench shuttle, 4.57 (hamstring prevented other drills), career: 130 receptions, 1836 yards, 19 td's 14.1 ypc.

Boldin: 6' 1/2", 216, 4.71 forty, 33.5" vert, 9'6" broad, 4.33 shuttle, 7.35 3cone, 118 career receptions, 1790 yards, 21 td's, 15.2 ypc.

Boldin went in the 2nd round... Don't think Hatcher will, but I mean, seeing what we saw from him on the field, he was our most talented and consistent receiver and is on par with Boldin, even surpassing him in some ways. I find it odd that he wouldn't be drafted. The only area of concerns would be, he was a dropper early in his career here and didn't have a ton of passes later in his career due to spreading the ball around. 2, he has had some injuries.

Morgan is similarly right on par with guys like Welker. For him, it becomes a question of how much does a team try to find their own Welker who wasn't super wanted when he was in the draft process. If nothing else, I'd honestly be surprised if the Pat's don't spend a late round pick on him. They've struggled to find top notch receivers though I'm dreading them having access to Cooks now.

bennyl08

Quote from: King Kong on April 27, 2017, 01:54:30 pm
Sprinkle is that talented for sure. But he may be hurt from this deep TE class

Deep TE class, and I think the Belk Bowl incident will drop him down. If he was in Henry's class, 3rd rounder probably. Factor in the depth, 4th to 5th. Factor in the Belk Bowl, 5th.

HogHomer

I'm not trying to say anything bad about Reed but I feel like he could really benefit from not having to be a student. From all accounts he's a great young man personality wise so I doubt off the field stuff would be an issue. I hope some team gives him a chance because I'd love to see what he could do without having school as another obligation.

bennyl08

Quote from: HogHomer on April 27, 2017, 02:05:21 pm
I'm not trying to say anything bad about Reed but I feel like he could really benefit from not having to be a student. From all accounts he's a great young man personality wise so I doubt off the field stuff would be an issue. I hope some team gives him a chance because I'd love to see what he could do without having school as another obligation.

My biggest red flag for him is his weight. Coaches have called him out on it so it isn't like he hasn't been asked/told to put on more weight. However, 2 years of being here and he hasn't added any weight. At his height, he is very thin. Even Randy Moss who is often touted as the tall thin guy was about 20 pounds or more heavier than Reed. Changing your weight requires discipline and dedication. When you combine that with him being late for meetings, late with paper work, struggling with the playbook and consistent route running, I'd guess that he might enjoy playing football more than being a football player and 95% of the work is done off the field.

moto625

hawginbigd1

I think somebody goes and gets Sprinkle in the 3rd or 4th, too much upside IMO.

AirForceHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 27, 2017, 01:38:22 pm
Sprinkle in the 5th
Skipper in the early 6th

Nice
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

jcbville

A QB who started 1 year and wasnt just amazing, taken as 2nd overall pick? I smell bust.

Mods move if not good here.

bennyl08

He was really really good in his one year. Check the stats.

However, Niners were never going to take a qb #2 overall and baited the bears into a trade. No qb this year should have been a top 10 pick.

jcbville

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 27, 2017, 07:34:38 pm
He was really really good in his one year. Check the stats.

However, Niners were never going to take a qb #2 overall and baited the bears into a trade. No qb this year should have been a top 10 pick.

I'm in line with your thinking.

jcbville

Jacksonville taking Fournette is pretty interesting.

PigDaddyKane

Did the Bears hire someone away from the Browns to run their draft this year?  That was a horrible trade.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

RebelliousHog

Get BA running QB with  LF behind him? Nice.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

snoot hoggy hog

No Bama players in the Top 10 PAWL!!!!

dhizzle

I would have thought Watson would have been the first qb off board.

EastexHawg

Andy Reid traded up to get the QB I have been telling everyone about since high school, Patrick Mahomes, at #10.  You can't coach talent and incredible arm strength.

Not surprising considering Gruden worked out and talked to all of them and said he was the best QB in the draft.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 27, 2017, 08:41:00 pm
Andy Reid traded up to get the QB I have been telling everyone about since high school, Patrick Mahomes, at #10.  You can't coach talent and incredible arm strength.

Not surprising considering Gruden worked out and talked to all of them and said he was the best QB in the draft.

Chiefs fan here, I am ok with the pick but a little worried about what it cost
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

You have been saying it

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

bennyl08

Quote from: dhizzle on April 27, 2017, 08:39:55 pm
I would have thought Watson would have been the first qb off board.

A lot of teams had him with a third round grade. Clemson won a lot of games with him as qb, but same is true for guys like Coker and McElroy at Bama. Watson is undoubtably a better qb than those two players, but Watson didn't individually win any of those games.

Watson was in a Petrino-esque offense where any qb was going to put up stats. With all of that surrounding talent, he was a turnover machine with a td:int ratio of < 3, regressing in his last year from his previous year.

Has an NFL arm and above average mobility but his size and arm strength are pretty average by NFL standards. I.e. not a weakness, but nothing to make you get on the edge of your seat about.

Not that any of the qb's taken ahead of him have demonstrably better resume's themselves. A little bit better arm talent, but that's about it. Weak year for qb's, but in a qb needy league, they inevitably become reaches.

HamSammich

Quote from: jcbville on April 27, 2017, 07:38:01 pm

It's down right scarey.

bennyl08

Quote from: jcbville on April 27, 2017, 07:38:01 pm

It was either Jax or SF. SF had a much bigger need for a pass rusher so Fournette to Jax and Myles to Cleveland were about the only non-surprises in the draft.

k.c.hawg

23 year season ticket holder. Hoped we were moving up to take the LB Foster. Didn't like any of the QB's as far as us giving up, to move up. However, I would have jumped at Mahomes at #27. That being said I trust Andy Reid as a QB coach......if he wanted Mahomes at #10, I will get on board. He does have a tremendous upside......hope I get top witness it. I've certainly seen a lions share of mediocre to bad QB play since I have been here. Two years of Montana on the downslope and then the highlight has been Trent Green.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HamSammich

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 27, 2017, 10:15:12 pm
23 year season ticket holder. Hoped we were moving up to take the LB Foster. Didn't like any of the QB's as far as us giving up, to move up. However, I would have jumped at Mahomes at #27. That being said I trust Andy Reid as a QB coach......if he wanted Mahomes at #10, I will get on board. He does have a tremendous upside......hope I get top witness it. I've certainly seen a lions share of mediocre to bad QB play since I have been here. Two years of Montana on the downslope and then the highlight has been Trent Green.

Reid is one of the best coaches in history.... you guys are ok

mckinneyhog5

Chiefs are my second favorite team but don't agree with the pick. Looks like Reid is looking for the next Dak Prescott when he should be looking for someone to replace JC. JC is getting old and each year he is an injury waiting to happen. Oh well, that's why I'm not a NFL HC.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

bennyl08

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 28, 2017, 12:01:24 am
Chiefs are my second favorite team but don't agree with the pick. Looks like Reid is looking for the next Dak Prescott when he should be looking for someone to replace JC. JC is getting old and each year he is an injury waiting to happen. Oh well, that's why I'm not a NFL HC.

I wouldn't have given up a first round pick for him. I liked him the most of this year's qb's though, but that isn't saying a whole lot. Luck and at the time, RG3, were players to sell the barn to try and get. Goff? Trubisky? Mahomes? Watson? Wentz was questionable at the time too. Only in hindsight really was RG3 a bad deal and Wentz so far a good one.

Hogs49ers

49ers crushed tonight, by far the best draft so far!  Nice to see GM Lynch start out with a couple huge successes in getting Shanahan as the Head Coach and now having an amazing start to the draft.  Here is what the 49ers netted in Rd 1:

- 3rd Pick (Traded back 1 spot) :  Solomon Thomas
- 31st Pick (Traded up 4 spots) : Rueben Foster (Steal of the draft)
- 3rd round, 3rd pick #67 (From Bears - trade back to #3)
- 2018 3rd round pick (From Bears - trade back to #3)

*The 4th round pick they also received from the Bears (#111) is all they gave up to move up 4 spots to take Foster.

Astonishingly stupid of the Bears to give up that much for 1 spot and to get Trubisky IMO...Bears fans feel the same way haha.
SCREW Vandy!

k.c.hawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 28, 2017, 12:55:11 am
I wouldn't have given up a first round pick for him. I liked him the most of this year's qb's though, but that isn't saying a whole lot. Luck and at the time, RG3, were players to sell the barn to try and get. Goff? Trubisky? Mahomes? Watson? Wentz was questionable at the time too. Only in hindsight really was RG3 a bad deal and Wentz so far a good one.

JC was released in Feb. Essentially missed the last 2 seasons.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HamSammich on April 27, 2017, 10:17:13 pm

Reid is one of the best coaches in history.... you guys are ok

Yeah, all those Super Bowl rings he's got....  Right up there with Lombardi, Noll and Belichick.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hvsupastar

Morgans combine was so bad I bet he is undrafted. I think skipper has a chance to be our first pick
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

jcbville

Not going to lie I was a little surprised by that move. He needs some work on mechanics for sure but time will tell.

jcbville

Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 28, 2017, 02:53:35 am
49ers crushed tonight, by far the best draft so far!  Nice to see GM Lynch start out with a couple huge successes in getting Shanahan as the Head Coach and now having an amazing start to the draft.  Here is what the 49ers netted in Rd 1:

- 3rd Pick (Traded back 1 spot) :  Solomon Thomas
- 31st Pick (Traded up 4 spots) : Rueben Foster (Steal of the draft)
- 3rd round, 3rd pick #67 (From Bears - trade back to #3)
- 2018 3rd round pick (From Bears - trade back to #3)

*The 4th round pick they also received from the Bears (#111) is all they gave up to move up 4 spots to take Foster.

Astonishingly stupid of the Bears to give up that much for 1 spot and to get Trubisky IMO...Bears fans feel the same way haha.

My GF is a huge 49ers fan and she's insistently trying to adopt me into the family so I watched them close. I agree it seems like they game planned well and I'm still surprised they got the Bears to do that trade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jcbville on April 27, 2017, 07:30:43 pm
A QB who started 1 year and wasnt just amazing, taken as 2nd overall pick? I smell bust.

Nobody wants to miss on the next Brady. Some teams will take a big gamble not to. But all draft picks are a gamble.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Sprinkle gets taken today. Teams started to panic when oj howard went off the board and drafted 2 or 3 other tight ends. Too many teams are weak at that position and cant take the chance of someone else picking him up
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jcbville

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on April 28, 2017, 07:41:42 am
Sprinkle gets taken today. Teams started to panic when oj howard went off the board and drafted 2 or 3 other tight ends. Too many teams are weak at that position and cant take the chance of someone else picking him up

I could actually see that especially with some of the weirdness in the draft already.

ALLVOL

How did he do against good defenses? Oh that's right they don't play defense in the Big 12 and thus their QB's all have huge #'s yet fail year in and year out.

hogcard1964

Quote from: jcbville on April 27, 2017, 07:30:43 pm

As a lifelong Bear fan, I'm soooooooo disappointed. 

Tejano Jawg

Weren't we the runner-up to Stanford in the Solomon Thomas recruiting sweepstakes?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

oldfart

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 28, 2017, 08:42:47 am
Weren't we the runner-up to Stanford in the Solomon Thomas recruiting sweepstakes?

we thought up to the last minute he was ours i believe.. wasnt his GF a student here?

311Hog

I really like what the Niners did (as a life long Niner fan). It seems like Hoyer is the QB for next year, and next year will not be a good year lol, but i am on the Sam Darnold to Niners 2018 ! bandwagon =)

I really think as the commentators suggested that Reid sees Favre in Mahomes, and you do kind of see it in the tape.

If he is even half of favre then it was worth the price.

And dare i say the Browns had a good draft? sure seemed like it.  Brown's and Niners seemed to exploit the leagues desperate need for QB's in a QB weak draft.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: oldfart on April 28, 2017, 10:06:55 am
we thought up to the last minute he was ours i believe.. wasnt his GF a student here?

His sister was.

311Hog

Anyone else notice how the rest of the players when they were called out before the draft started stood away from Cam Robinson? it sure seemed like they did, and the crowd boo'd and the kid didn't get drafted.

I found it interesting that some "character" issue kids clearly seemed to suffer while others not so much.