Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

kelly or storey???

Started by Cavosea1, March 22, 2017, 10:35:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavosea1

This will be a VERY intriguing match up going into spring.  Which one will be our backup qb? From what I'm hearing kelly is the frontrunner but I don't know due to living in Tulsa now.  You would think storey would because he's been in the program longer and was a top 10 qb coming out high school.  What do u guys think? 

Dwillhog66

Hopefully neither of them see any meaningful action!

jgphillips3

Well, if you believe what the coaches had to say, Cole was close to being the backup as a freshman but they didn't want to burn the shirt unless they had to.  Unless Storey rockets forward or Cole regresses, I bet Cole will take the 2nd team job and might even push for some on field time this year if the games allow it.

East TN HAWG

It will be interesting to watch this battle.  I don't care who wins.  I just hope that the winner has the same sort of production as Mallet, Wilson, BA and Austin. Maybe more wins.   

Cavosea1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 22, 2017, 10:39:02 am
Well, if you believe what the coaches had to say, Cole was close to being the backup as a freshman but they didn't want to burn the shirt unless they had to.  Unless Storey rockets forward or Cole regresses, I bet Cole will take the 2nd team job and might even push for some on field time this year if the games allow it.

I agree!

The_Iceman

March 22, 2017, 10:51:09 am #5 Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:21:39 pm by The_Iceman
Cole Kelley. He was the #2 last year basically. If Allen would have gone down with a season ending injury, Kelley would have been the starter.

He is 6'7", decently mobile, cannon for an arm, and can make all the throws. Can't wait to see him perform this spring.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Cavosea1 on March 22, 2017, 10:35:30 am
This will be a VERY intriguing match up going into spring.  Which one will be our backup qb? From what I'm hearing kelly is the frontrunner but I don't know due to living in Tulsa now.  You would think storey would because he's been in the program longer and was a top 10 qb coming out high school.  What do u guys think? 

Hard to say because all we hear is from the coaches and that is always PC stuff.  I do not care if they finish 1a and 1b so we can keep that competition going into the fall.  We lost a bunch of our depth so we need to keep both happy and working hard against each other.  I do not think Storey has the arm strength as Kelly so he needs to more the team in other ways like with his feet to get away from the rush long enough to find another target. 

Should be fun in the spring.

rljjr

From watching warmups last season Kelley appeared to have a far better pass. Who knows what has happened since, but if I were forced to bet I'd put my money on Kelley being the definite 2 and pushing for 1.

ThisTeetsTaken

Some other players have referred to C Kelly as "the franchise".  I think everyone around the team sees him as the next guy up after Austin leaves.  Something tells me neither he or Storey will be listed as #2 after the Spring unless they both are. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 22, 2017, 10:51:09 am
Cole Kelley. I was the #2 last year basically. If Allen would have gone down with a season ending injury, Kelley would have been the starter.

He is 6'7", decently mobile, cannon for an arm, and can make all the throws. Can't wait to see him perform this spring.

Ice, I had no idea you even had eligibility remaining!  Congrats!!
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: yraciv on March 22, 2017, 11:40:04 am
I found that comment kind of humorous. I know you are referring to his skills, but Storey is one of those guys that could grow a beard in 8th grade. I think he looks the part!

I came back to this thread to delete that comment.  I thought about it, and decided it sounded insulting.  I never meant the insult.  As for your comment, you are partially correct.  I was referring to his skills, but he also seems a little undersized when he steps to the line with the rest of the team.  Maybe I'm just not seeing it correctly from the stands.

hawganatic

Think a better question is what does the coaching staff do if Kelly outperforms AA in the spring?  Do you go with the best player? Or the experienced player? 

Hypothetical of course.  Haven't seen Kelly play so have no idea where his skillset is at right now.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

rafe peavey and ricky town were also top 10 QB's. How'd that work out for them? lol
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jkstock04

Pretty obvious 2nd string qb position is Cole Kelly's to lose. He looks the part of a serious D-1 qb.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 22, 2017, 12:41:24 pm
Pretty obvious 2nd string qb position is Cole Kelly's to lose. He looks the part of a serious D-1 qb.
he looks like Cajun ryan mallet  :D
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on March 22, 2017, 10:38:58 am
The backup here doesn't get much meaningless action.

BloodRedHog

Would like to see a Russell Wilson, Jalen Hurst-type QB at some point.
Gives the defense headaches.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

The_Iceman

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 22, 2017, 11:42:32 am
Ice, I had no idea you even had eligibility remaining!  Congrats!!

They found one more after my 6.5 years on campus! Loophole.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on March 22, 2017, 10:38:58 am

I hope the backup gets into lots of games. Whether you call that meaningful is open to debate, I guess, but the more big leads we get where the backup QB can get reps, the better.

EFBAB

code red

The better one.  Trust in CBB.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

King Kong

I don't want to be mean or hurt the feelings of anyone that maybe fans or related to Ty.

But, it's Cole's job.

bennyl08

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 22, 2017, 10:51:09 am
Cole Kelley. He was the #2 last year basically. If Allen would have gone down with a season ending injury, Kelley would have been the starter.

He is by far the least mobile qb we have and would be the least mobile guy we have had since Mallett. Having said that, I would argue that Mallett was decently mobile. Sure, he was a statue that would lose a race to the likes of Kirkland, but he had great pocket presence and was able to side step and maneuver in the pocket just enough so that the first guy to get pressure almost never made the sack. Judging by Kelley's HS tape, he is significantly slower than Wilson was, at best a step or two faster than Mallett as far as speed goes.

So, the point I'm making is, he was able to get yards running in HS, but you watch his highlights and that doesn't even remotely translate to the college level, much less the SEC. His running threat isn't going to be a concern for anybody. However, that doesn't really matter. So long as he has good pocket awareness, he can still buy some extra time to make the throw. If t he lane is there, even Mallett can run and pick up 8 yards or so to get the first down. He has even been the leading rusher in a game or two in the NFL because of that.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

As for the OP, it is very likely going to be Kelley.

I think a lot of razorback fans undersell Ty Storey. From what I've seen of him, he does have about the mobility of Wilson and a stronger arm along with very good footwork and ability to throw under pressure. However, Kelley had the best arm on campus the second he stepped foot and that is the most important factor for a qb. From the coaches talk last summer/fall, Kelley isn't just a qb with a rocket arm, but is also very coachable and will continue the tradition of our starting qb's getting drafted dating back to 2009. I love that that statistic includes AJ Derby who started for us for a game. Austin hasn't officially been drafted but considering he is the 8th best returning player in the SEC according to PFF, it would be an major shock if he wasn't. Only thing hurting him is his height.

Ty has everything you physically need to be a starting SEC qb. Assuming that Cole does in fact get the backup spot, I don't think Ty transfers yet. He is just a RS So this coming season. I'd guess he sticks around, and sees what happens in the spring. However, if he is unable to win the starting spot there, then this guy has too much talent to be a backup his whole career, and he would deserve to transfer somewhere else and get to start. However, to get the 2 years, he'd have to drop down a division as I understand. So, there is definitely potential for him to think about a transfer this summer if he doesn't like his position on the depth chart where he could transfer to another major school, sit out a year, and still have 2 seasons to start.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Piggfoot

I don't think the matchup is intriguing at all.
I am interested to see Kelly perform. Story has not lived up to his hype. I am usually unimpressed with players who have physically matured by their eight grade year unless they are an immediate starter in college. Story's high school record was made against poor competition.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Just got through watching Kelly's senior highlights and can't help but wonder how LSU could let this one get away.  His potential is off the charts. I agree with the previous poster that he's not SEC designed run fast, but I think he's quick enough to get positive yards scrambling. I think he'll be faster than Ryan was. He also seems to have a good ability to find the rush and get away from it. Many of his highlights included designed runs one of which he took 40 yards to pay dirt against pretty good La competition. I could see him getting good positive rushing yards up the middle on QB sneaks and he'd be almost unstoppable on 4th and one. I also can't wait till the first CB blitz when the CB bounces off him like a ping pong ball.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 22, 2017, 12:58:00 pm

Lol, meaningless? I assume u meant meaningful, if so it would be similar to about 99% of all other D1 backups barring injury to the starter.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on March 22, 2017, 01:26:53 pm
I hope the backup gets into lots of games. Whether you call that meaningful is open to debate, I guess, but the more big leads we get where the backup QB can get reps, the better.

EFBAB

Yes that would be ideal, just don't see teams in the SEC get huge leads, which is why the backups for all SEC teams is very limited.

factchecker

His name is Cole Kelley.  I think the constant misspelling of his name guarantees that Cole will be the starter.   ;)

If you were to make a judgement on who is next simply based on coach's comments it would have to go to Kelley.  Coach Enos and Bielema have talked him up since the signing day event.  The players call him the franchise.

https://twitter.com/RazNation/status/753273858547822595

Quote from: rljjr on March 22, 2017, 11:25:36 am
From watching warmups last season Kelley appeared to have a far better pass. Who knows what has happened since, but if I were forced to bet I'd put my money on Kelley being the definite 2 and pushing for 1.

I've also noticed how Cole warmed up with Austin before the team came out every game.  Ty would always warm up with Ricky or a walk-on but Cole would be with Austin talking and throwing the ball.  Cole also traveled to almost every away game which is a big thing for redshirt freshman.

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on March 22, 2017, 02:46:43 pm
Just got through watching Kelley's senior highlights and can't help but wonder how LSU could let this one get away. 

Great point.  Kelley is a protypical pro-style QB.  Cole fit Les Miles and Cam Cameron's offense but for some reason they kept signing inaccurate dual threats instead.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cavosea1

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 22, 2017, 12:33:49 pm
rafe peavey and ricky town were also top 10 QB's. How'd that work out for them? lol

Lmbo!!! Yeah u right

jgphillips3

As weird as this is to say, I think that AA is obviously, unquestionably the starter heading into fall.  However, if he struggles, I wouldn't be shocked to see Cole hit the field.  For the first time since Tyler Wilson was Ryan's backup, it would appear we actually have a QB that could be the starter backing up that position.  Last year when AA was hurt or if he had been knocked out, we were screwed.  This year, we might actually get better or at least be better at different things if Cole had to take the field.  If the OL gels early, our offense will be multiple and dangerous.  This season hinges on how fast we adapt to the 3-4 and the difference between 6 wins and 9 wins will ride on how well and how fast the defense comes together.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 22, 2017, 04:09:15 pm
As weird as this is to say, I think that AA is obviously, unquestionably the starter heading into fall.  However, if he struggles, I wouldn't be shocked to see Cole hit the field.  For the first time since Tyler Wilson was Ryan's backup, it would appear we actually have a QB that could be the starter backing up that position.  Last year when AA was hurt or if he had been knocked out, we were screwed.  This year, we might actually get better or at least be better at different things if Cole had to take the field.  If the OL gels early, our offense will be multiple and dangerous.  This season hinges on how fast we adapt to the 3-4 and the difference between 6 wins and 9 wins will ride on how well and how fast the defense comes together.

Absolutely agree. Short of any key injuries on offense, I'm not concerned with whether they will or they won't produce at high levels. I think they will. It is how quickly and how well the defense gels in the 3-4 and how quickly they demonstrate an ability to perform consistently at a higher level than our defense did last season and the season before. It's great to have a very productive defensive game, but you can't have it just once every 3 to 4 to 6 games. Consistent execution at a higher level is the key.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 22, 2017, 04:17:41 pm
Absolutely agree. Short of any key injuries on offense, I'm not concerned with whether they will or they won't produce at high levels. I think they will. It is how quickly and how well the defense gels in the 3-4 and how quickly they demonstrate an ability to perform consistently at a higher level than our defense did last season and the season before. It's great to have a very productive defensive game, but you can't have it just once every 3 to 4 to 6 games. Consistent execution at a higher level is the key.

I expect our defense to be similar to our offense last season. Namely, new OL and coach (new front 7 scheme and coach), new qb (new leader on defense with Ellis gone), returning WR's (returning secondary).

I think the talent level for our defense next year will be about where the talent level of our offense was last season. I think the scheme will work at times, and that players will make some boneheaded mental errors while adjusting. Probably the biggest difference is that I see a lot of the new secondary players getting significant playing time if not starting towards the end of the season over some vets.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 22, 2017, 04:22:08 pm
I expect our defense to be similar to our offense last season. Namely, new OL and coach (new front 7 scheme and coach), new qb (new leader on defense with Ellis gone), returning WR's (returning secondary).

I think the talent level for our defense next year will be about where the talent level of our offense was last season. I think the scheme will work at times, and that players will make some boneheaded mental errors while adjusting. Probably the biggest difference is that I see a lot of the new secondary players getting significant playing time if not starting towards the end of the season over some vets.

That is a reasonable projection and if that occurs, it should be a more productive defense than last year. I'm not expecting them to come out and execute a new defensive alignment and philosophy in a perfect way, just improve and allow fewer yards, fewer big plays and be better in the RZ than last year.
Go Hogs Go!

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on March 22, 2017, 02:51:21 pm
Lol, meaningless? I assume u meant meaningful, if so it would be similar to about 99% of all other D1 backups barring injury to the starter.
No genius, I meant meaningless. Point being, we can be beating the brakes off teams in the 4th qtr and the backup isn't in most of the time.

jgphillips3

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 22, 2017, 04:33:35 pm
That is a reasonable projection and if that occurs, it should be a more productive defense than last year. I'm not expecting them to come out and execute a new defensive alignment and philosophy in a perfect way, just improve and allow fewer yards, fewer big plays and be better in the RZ than last year.

Short of all 11 players on the field suffering spontaneous human combustion at the same time, our defense has nowhere to go but up.  It will be better than last year just because being worse is almost an impossibility.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 22, 2017, 04:54:16 pm
Short of all 11 players on the field suffering spontaneous human combustion at the same time, our defense has nowhere to go but up.  It will be better than last year just because being worse is almost an impossibility.

I understand, but it could be worse nonetheless. I don't think that it will be, but even last year could have been worse than it was. We finished #76 in total defense out of 128 teams.
Go Hogs Go!

If the future can be based on the past and it usually can be, neither QB will be even looked at as the starter as we have a starter who will not be challenged.  The #2 Guy will be decided on a very small amount of information and then will not be prepared for the up coming season.  So, in my opinion, Ty will transfer after Spring training and not wait until 2 weeks before the first game.  He has seen this story play out right before his eyes twice so far so why wait. 

Cole will be #2 by default if nothing else.  He will see the field in mop up duty, nothing serious, may get to throw it a time or 2, you know, very safe passes.  Mostly will get a bit of waste time off the clock duty so Mom and Dad can see him on the field.

Once again, if the Austin should get hurt, we are screwed and there is no need for that.  And yeah, I know, us being poor ole Arkansaw, we just can't get any serious second teamers, so short of Austin playing on crutches, he gives us the best chance to win.  Yada, yada, yada.  Same song, 5th verse.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawganatic on March 22, 2017, 12:23:07 pm
Think a better question is what does the coaching staff do if Kelly outperforms AA in the spring?  Do you go with the best player? Or the experienced player? 

Hypothetical of course.  Haven't seen Kelly play so have no idea where his skillset is at right now.

My guess is Enos would go with AA due to the experience. If AA has a bad half then CBB will be standing next to Enos whispering make the change.

Most coaches have to see a clear separation to bench the experience. IMHO
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

bennyl08

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 22, 2017, 12:58:00 pm

When the game is out of reach, we put in the backup qb same as every other team, no sooner or later. Similarly, coaches always try to expedite the end of the game under such circumstances so again, nobody out there is running there regular offense and trying to get in "meaningful" experience for a backup qb.

Which makes sense. If the game is that bad, the quarterback and offense in general is going to get a tougher challenge in practice than they will in that game. Plus, in practice, you can be safer in knowing that your own teammates won't try to purposefully injure you which you don't have in the real game experience. So, your players have a higher risk of injury but are getting worse experience in such a setting than in practice and so there's no upside.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 22, 2017, 04:50:16 pm
No genius, I meant meaningless. Point being, we can be beating the brakes off teams in the 4th qtr and the backup isn't in most of the time.

Ok, I gotcha, like 95% of all teams in P5 conferences. Genius

bennyl08

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on March 22, 2017, 08:11:02 pm
Ok, I gotcha, like 95% of all teams in P5 conferences. Genius

We are supposed to be uncommon.

Up by 3 with 7 minutes in? We should put in the 3rd stringer. The other team won't have any tape on him and we can really start to build some depth. BRILLIANT!!

woodrow hog call

Quote from: 12247 on March 22, 2017, 05:05:02 pm
If the future can be based on the past and it usually can be, neither QB will be even looked at as the starter as we have a starter who will not be challenged.  The #2 Guy will be decided on a very small amount of information and then will not be prepared for the up coming season.  So, in my opinion, Ty will transfer after Spring training and not wait until 2 weeks before the first game.  He has seen this story play out right before his eyes twice so far so why wait. 

Cole will be #2 by default if nothing else.  He will see the field in mop up duty, nothing serious, may get to throw it a time or 2, you know, very safe passes.  Mostly will get a bit of waste time off the clock duty so Mom and Dad can see him on the field.

Once again, if the Austin should get hurt, we are screwed and there is no need for that.  And yeah, I know, us being poor ole Arkansaw, we just can't get any serious second teamers, so short of Austin playing on crutches, he gives us the best chance to win.  Yada, yada, yada.  Same song, 5th verse.

I will be waiting for your practice reports since you seem to know so much about how the coaches decide things, you are obviously such an insider that you are allowed to see things no one else can.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Dwillhog66

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 22, 2017, 09:19:15 pm

I will be waiting for your practice reports since you seem to know so much about how the coaches decide things, you are obviously such an insider that you are allowed to see things no one else can.

He also neglects to mention that AA had very limited time when he was backup to BA. It seemed to really kill his chances to perform when it came his time. It's obvious 12247 and many others it seems, are far superior to Enos and his strategy to develop Qbs

1highhog

Hopefully we'll have a good enough season to where we can get a 2nd string QB some significant game time experience, and I don't mean CBB's usual one minute of the game left kneel on the ball type work for our 2nd QB.   I'd like to see 2nd stringers get plenty of work when the game is in the bag, Bret has this thing of wanting to play the 1st string, especially the quarterback, the entire game or until there's about 45 seconds on the clock,,   

GuvHog

I doubt that will be the case this season. This is AA's last season as the Hogs starting QB so Enos will be needing to get the #2 QB ready to take over next season. I believe Cole Kelley will see more action than some think. The coaches have been raving about him for some time now and I heard CBB say that the young man just has the "It" factor.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Cinco de Hogo

Depends on where our strength is.  Are we going to be a passing team or running team?  Balance?

Who can execute a clean handoff?  Who can make all the throws?  Who can read defenses?  Who?

Pork Twain

Is this really that unusual with most teams above the HS level?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

redleg

I think Kelley is the future at QB for Arkansas. His size, arm strength, accuracy, and surprising mobility are assets that can and will help the Hogs win lots of games between 2018 and 2020.
Ty Storey is a very good QB, but I just feel that Kelley out-classes him in overall talent.

The three non-conference games vs Florida A&M, New Mexico St, and Coastal Carolina should be blow out victories for Arkansas, and is when we should see Austin Allen sitting no later than the middle of the 3rd quarter, which should allow Kelley playing time to develop his skill set. This should also be done in any other blowout win for the Hogs, especially if it is an SEC game. Kelley needs as much playing time as he can get this fall. It can only help him when he takes over as the starting QB in 2018.
I won't be surprised to see Storey transfer after the 2018 season, leaving Daulton Hyatt and Connor Noland as Cole Kelley's back-ups.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

goodguytex

Quote from: 12247 on March 22, 2017, 05:05:02 pm

Funny post. Seriously...