Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball replay flaw

Started by ShadowHawg, March 20, 2017, 08:59:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

djgaffer

Quote from: hogsanity on March 21, 2017, 12:28:38 pm
As an official, that would scare the crap out of me, probably literally, if I knew that people at home were getting a view of a play that I was not getting.

I had an official tell me they had a review at the end of a game where they didn't overturn a call with the video that was available to them.  When he got back to the official's locker room, he had a text from his dad asking "what the $@#$ were you even looking at".   There was a clear angle everyone at home could see, but they didn't have it.  And I'm sure there were a bunch on message boards claiming the fix was in. 

It's a good system that can be made better. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 08:54:49 am
That buzzer sure did go off quick...Hmmm

Just to be fair when that darn was blocked before he turned around to go get it, the shot clock was at 2. 

hogsanity

Quote from: djgaffer on March 21, 2017, 02:51:26 pm
I had an official tell me they had a review at the end of a game where they didn't overturn a call with the video that was available to them.  When he got back to the official's locker room, he had a text from his dad asking "what the $@#$ were you even looking at".   There was a clear angle everyone at home could see, but they didn't have it.  And I'm sure there were a bunch on message boards claiming the fix was in. 

It's a good system that can be made better. 

Eeegaads. Yes, no excuse for the officials not to have the same shots the people watching on tv have.

Plus, if the refs know the people at home are seeing the same replays, they are not going to purposely ignore what the replay shows.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 21, 2017, 04:10:56 pm
Eeegaads. Yes, no excuse for the officials not to have the same shots the people watching on tv have.

Plus, if the refs know the people at home are seeing the same replays, they are not going to purposely ignore what the replay shows.

The res aren't ignoring a  fact, they are biased not to see because it is their own call or the other guys are going to have to piss off their partners, etc.

People do shoddy work all the time because they convince themselves it's not really bad.  It's hard for the majority of people to admit they are wrong and make changes. I have seen you say this about MA.

It's true for people with the best of intentions.

Been10Hog

I still haven't heard anyone give an appropriate excuse to the officials. I don't care what angle fans have that refs don't have. Every view showed one of our best shooters throw up a knuckleball with no spin when he shot the ball normally, rolling off his hand rather than shot putting it. No way to "shoot" a knuckleball like that. That was all the evidence they need!

lasthog

Quote from: gchamblee on March 20, 2017, 01:43:43 pm
The replays I have seen of this play dont have any evidence of the ball being tipped. Do you guys have a link to a replay that does? I really want to see it if you do.

I didn't know that BW 10" Zenith with rabbit ears had a cable hookup. ;)

PonderinHog

Quote from: lasthog on March 22, 2017, 12:30:24 pm
I didn't know that BW 10" Zenith with rabbit ears had a cable hookup. ;)
You have to use the two prong adapter.

JHGiunta

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 20, 2017, 09:13:10 am
I'm more upset about the Beard shot clock violation that wasn't. We got that rebound with 2-3 guys that had a clear path to the basket.

Absolutely! Not a lot of mention of this. So many calls in that game that were one sided head scratchers.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Hawg414 on March 20, 2017, 01:38:26 pm
someone answer this for me... bc i havent even seen this so much as mentioned.  and maybe i missed something.

on the play in question.  try to disregard whether whether the UNC player tipped the ball or not.  either he did, and it is headed out of bounds on them.. or he didnt, and it is headed out of bounds on us.  regardless, the ball landed IN BOUNDS, under the goal, and Barford jumped from what appeared to be IN BOUNDS, grabbed the ball and threw it off the leg of a UNC player.  basketball 101 that we are all taught at age 6.

so for arguments sake.  lets say macons shot was not tipped.  doesnt the ensuing play by barford still make it our ball anyway??  i mean unless i am missing that barford was out of bounds before he jumped (which i thought he pretty clearly was not), then this call should have been our ball two different ways.  the tip by the UNC player... AND barford saving it and throwing it off another UNC players leg.  what am i missing??
Glad im not the only one who saw that
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hogsanity

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 23, 2017, 07:56:17 am
Glad im not the only one who saw that

The ref on the baseline clearly pointed at the line and blew his whistle. He was indicating either the ball or Barford touched the line and was therefore out of bounds. Based on how it went down, the refs ruled the ball was not tipped, and that it was out of bounds when it landed.

Now, they reviewed it, and for whatever reason did not see the tip ( my guess is they did not get the camera angle from the shooters right side ), then they also ruled the ball had indeed landed out of bounds.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg414

Quote from: hogsanity on March 23, 2017, 08:36:36 am
The ref on the baseline clearly pointed at the line and blew his whistle. He was indicating either the ball or Barford touched the line and was therefore out of bounds. Based on how it went down, the refs ruled the ball was not tipped, and that it was out of bounds when it landed.

Now, they reviewed it, and for whatever reason did not see the tip ( my guess is they did not get the camera angle from the shooters right side ), then they also ruled the ball had indeed landed out of bounds.

ehh, i dont have the video in front of me.  and im not willing to bet an arm or a leg... but im pretty sure the *shot* landed in bounds.  as in, well in bounds.  3 or 4 feet in bounds.  so IF *out of bounds* was the call, then it had to be that barford stepped on the line while jumping out to grab it.  that is a possibility.  although the limited replays we got of that particular portion of the play certainly appeared as though he was legal.  but maybe on closer inspection he wasnt.

is there video of this posted anywhere to look at?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 23, 2017, 08:36:36 am

Actually the referee closest ruled the ball had been tipped. Clearly made the tip sign while talking before going to the monitor. That in conjunction with the change of rotation shown in every angle should have been enough except for the baseline ref couldn't give up his call, and is the poster boy for why they shouldn't be who watches the replay.

Atlhogfan1

This WV Zag replay is flawed. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogginbama

Lamont is involved in this one as well.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Lowdown

Guys, these officials are making about 3 grand to call these games. They are being reviewed after each game to decide who moves on. I doubt very seriously a ref is ignoring what the replay shows, just to say I'm not changing my call. To hell with the 3 grand I make each round, I choose to sully my rep with the assignment secretary for officials and kick my career to the curb.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Lowdown on March 23, 2017, 10:39:30 pm
Guys, these officials are making about 3 grand to call these games. They are being reviewed after each game to decide who moves on. I doubt very seriously a ref is ignoring what the replay shows, just to say I'm not changing my call. To hell with the 3 grand I make each round, I choose to sully my rep with the assignment secretary for officials and kick my career to the curb.

Emotions ARE the number one problem with officiating in all sports. Refs don't make rational decisions all the time. They buckle to perceived pressure. It was obvious what pressure the refs perceived last Sunday. Obvious.

How about that 5-minute review last night? Broken.
[CENSORED]!

gchamblee

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2017, 07:26:11 am
Emotions ARE the number one problem with officiating in all sports. Refs don't make rational decisions all the time. They buckle to perceived pressure. It was obvious what pressure the refs perceived last Sunday. Obvious.

How about that 5-minute review last night? Broken.

Even though they got the call right?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: gchamblee on March 24, 2017, 09:49:12 am
Even though they got the call right?

Should have done that in 30 seconds. Asking game officials to review their own calls is stupid.
[CENSORED]!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Lowdown on March 23, 2017, 10:39:30 pm

They aren't doing it maliciously. I would venture to say that they don't realize  when they are doing it.

That 5 minute replay last night was the result of the guy who made the original call having to be told by 2 different guys he got it wrong before he finally gave in and only then after he had argued for 5 minutes.

The ref that made the original call arguing is what took so long. It took all of 10 seconds of replay to see the wrong call had been made and the game clock was right.

bphi11ips

Quote from: JHGiunta on March 22, 2017, 11:03:27 pm
Absolutely! Not a lot of mention of this. So many calls in that game that were one sided head scratchers.

Have heard a lot of talk radio discussion in Nashville about the officiating in the last two minutes of the Arkansas/UNC game. These are not homers.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.