Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big Fox Snake

Started by hogcard1964, May 31, 2017, 02:21:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

Hey, I have what I believe is an enormous fox snake (3.5 to 4 ft long) hanging around some dry grass clippings at the back of my property.

...Hence, does anyone know if these things can harm a small dog?

GolfNut57

WTH is a Fox snake? I have heard of rat snakes, chicken snakes, and black snakes but Fox snake?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Mr.Swine89

You're good to go. They are in the same family as a kingsnake or corn snake. A fox snake is technically a type of Rat Snake (pantherophis gloydi). They can be really agressive and bite but no harm would come of it outside of secondary infection. Post a pic if you can. Fox snakes are semi rare to see around here.

Mr.Swine89

In my 15 years of herpetology, I've only seen one fox snake and it was in the area of West Plains MO. Where are you located? If you're in Arkansas, then you might have a corn snake or juvenile rat snake. Tough to know without a pic though. Happy hunting

hogcard1964

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on May 31, 2017, 04:48:32 pm
In my 15 years of herpetology, I've only seen one fox snake and it was in the area of West Plains MO. Where are you located? If you're in Arkansas, then you might have a corn snake or juvenile rat snake. Tough to know without a pic though. Happy hunting

I'm in Illinois.  Will county, not far from Joliet.  Should I kill it?

hogcard1964

Mr.Swine89

hogcard1964

Mr.Swine89