Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 man rush

Started by parallaxpig, September 30, 2017, 03:13:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

Don't know if we can stop anybody rushing 4 but know for a fact we can't stop anybody rushing 3.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

East TN HAWG

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  It feels like we play the prevent defense the entire game now.

Cambridge Hog

didn't want to show too much to Carolina...

hawgdavis

We were told they would be more aggressive in the new 3-4 , haven't seen anything to believe that to be the case

hawgdavis

The same ole thing we had last year that kept on getting us gashed . Very frustrating

theFlyingHog

Bert has his foot on the brakes. I'm sick of it. He reminds me of the Air Force dad's I grew up around who wouldn't let their kids watch R-rated movies until they were 18

VirginiaHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 30, 2017, 04:10:48 pm
Bert has his foot on the brakes. I'm sick of it. He reminds me of the Air Force dad's I grew up around who wouldn't let their kids watch R-rated movies until they were 18
My kids are 13 and 16 and haven't seen higher than pg13. What exactly are you saying?

ricepig

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: VirginiaHog on September 30, 2017, 07:38:37 pm
My kids are 13 and 16 and haven't seen higher than pg13. What exactly are you saying?
Think back when you were 16. Can you honestly say that you had not seen the unveiled beauty of the opposite sex's breast in a movie ? Yeah, that's what I thought. I get the 13 year old, but the 16 year old. If your eldest is a boy, I can almost to a certainty inform you that he's seen more R rated content in movies than you may know.

ad: as to not derail this thread, our 3 man rush is worthless, it's like playing two handed touch in the back yard and having to count to 5 seconds before you rush. In other words, it ain't working.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

code red

Quote from: hawgdavis on September 30, 2017, 03:25:18 pm
We were told they would be more aggressive in the new 3-4 , haven't seen anything to believe that to be the case
Nothing to do with scheme.  Hogs have few SEC quality personal.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hoggish1

Quote from: parallaxpig on September 30, 2017, 03:13:39 pm
Don't know if we can stop anybody rushing 4 but know for a fact we can't stop anybody rushing 3.

Did you see some blitzes mixed in today?  If not re-watch the game.

doc53

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 30, 2017, 03:15:52 pm
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  It feels like we play the prevent defense the entire game now.
Does not seem we can prevent much no matter who we play.
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

ArkansasI

Quote from: parallaxpig on September 30, 2017, 03:13:39 pm
No doubt. Horrible.

The 3 man front starts in an awkward 4-point stance. Why?  The guys line up a full yard away from their opponent and appear to have no leverage. Why?

At the snap, the linemen stand and receive their blockers. The QB has all day to find someone. We can't be successful at this level giving the QB time.

Why wouldn't we help our DBs by demanding they stay with their opponent 3-5 seconds?  Instead, we give twice the time. Everybody looks bad. It's scheme... and it sucks. Bad.

bondhue

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 30, 2017, 07:47:36 pm
Think back when you were 16. Can you honestly say that you had not seen the unveiled beauty of the opposite sex's breast in a movie ? Yeah, that's what I thought. I get the 13 year old, but the 16 year old. If your eldest is a boy, I can almost to a certainty inform you that he's seen more R rated content in movies than you may know.

ad: as to not derail this thread, our 3 man rush is worthless, it's like playing two handed touch in the back yard and having to count to 5 seconds before you rush. In other words, it ain't working.
Two friends and I saw that unveiled beauty one summer afternoon on current river and there was an effective 3 man rush.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 30, 2017, 09:57:47 pm
I did and and remember a Dre Greenlaw personal foul, getting burned on a sideline route and getting burned over the middle.  That was 3 blitzes.  There was also one I remember when the QB actually had to throw it away so that one worked.  For the most part they did not.  Mobile QBs kill blitzes with their feet and really smart ones kill them with their arms and brains. They work great against pocket passers that are average type QBs. 

I do think they need to mix it up and have the DL drop into coverage once in a while and then bring a couple LBs rushing.  Zone blitz philosophy which is common in the NFL.  Definitely need to throw in a few wrinkles.  Keep the opponent on their toes and guessing. 

31to6

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 30, 2017, 11:17:23 pm
I did and and remember a Dre Greenlaw personal foul, getting burned on a sideline route and getting burned over the middle.  That was 3 blitzes.  There was also one I remember when the QB actually had to throw it away so that one worked.  For the most part they did not.  Mobile QBs kill blitzes with their feet and really smart ones kill them with their arms and brains. They work great against pocket passers that are average type QBs. 

I do think they need to mix it up and have the DL drop into coverage once in a while and then bring a couple LBs rushing.  Zone blitz philosophy which is common in the NFL.  Definitely need to throw in a few wrinkles.  Keep the opponent on their toes and guessing. 
Sad thing is that I knew who they were sending every time they sent more than 3. The whole point of the 3-4 is being able to mix things up. In a good 3-4 the coaches can send either LB and can toss a CB blitz in from time to time. You can show blitz and bail into coverage. You can show 5 and drop a DE, sending 2 LBs. etc. etc.

What I saw there was very little deception. It was like, ok this time we are sending 4, so 4 dudes crowd the line. Pretty obvious most of the time.

It is a new scheme. I don't expect them to have it to an art.

I expected it to be more aggressive at the very least.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

When are you going to realize that everything that come's out of Dumplin's mouth is a big ol' lie.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

GoHogs1091

A 3 man rush with no elite Nose Guard  =  usually a failure

There is a reason why most collegiate teams don't use a 3-4.  Even in the garbage NFL, the NFL teams who use a 3-4 have trouble stopping competent offenses.

presidenthog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 01, 2017, 12:34:13 am
A 3 man rush with no elite Nose Guard  =  usually a failure

There is a reason why most collegiate teams don't use a 3-4.  Even in the garbage NFL, the NFL teams who use a 3-4 have trouble stopping competent offenses.

Most teams in the NFL, as of a few years ago, ran/run a 3-4. The patriots who are very good defensively run a 3-4. Once again you try to sound smart, but are just flapping your buttcheeks.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: presidenthog on October 01, 2017, 01:13:47 am
Most teams in the NFL, as of a few years ago, ran/run a 3-4. The patriots who are very good defensively run a 3-4. Once again you try to sound smart, but are just flapping your buttcheeks.

Well, just look to see how many points will get scored offensively in the NFL later today.

The NFL Defensive Coordinators use the 3-4 because they try to get cute with their blitz packages.  Meanwhile, the opposing competent NFL offenses will gash the 3 man defensive front.

Meanwhile, we are using the 3-4, and we are playing a non-aggressive form of it, and we are getting gashed up front.  TCU and Texas A&M gashed our 3 man defensive front.

3-4 Defense =  get gashed up front even while being aggressive and cute (NFL 3-4) and get gashed up front while being non-aggressive (Razorback 3-4)

go hogues

The 3-4 was smoke and mirrors. It was a way to add off-season intrigue, so people would buy tickets. And as always, our fans fell for it.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Kevin

during the Georgia game, smart said his defense is so much better in year 2, his players know what they are doing now.

I know I am in the minority but I like what rhoades has done. db's are better, and the whole team tackles much better.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jkstock04

Quote from: ArkansasI on September 30, 2017, 10:31:58 pm
No doubt. Horrible.

The 3 man front starts in an awkward 4-point stance. Why?  The guys line up a full yard away from their opponent and appear to have no leverage. Why?

At the snap, the linemen stand and receive their blockers. The QB has all day to find someone. We can't be successful at this level giving the QB time.

Why wouldn't we help our DBs by demanding they stay with their opponent 3-5 seconds?  Instead, we give twice the time. Everybody looks bad. It's scheme... and it sucks. Bad.
Good observations...I've wondered as well about the 4 point stances and lining up a full yard off the line of scrimmage. I'm sure it's strategic but I'm not a fan of it. A 4 point stance is a weak ass stance...it gives you no spring. You may as well just stand up...and lining up that far off the line you are just giving them 2 or 3 yards if they want to run it.

I thought we were going to see all sorts of exotic blitzing by our linebackers but that's not really the case.

With all that said pass coverage is better than last year...I'll give em that. But like someone else said we are basically just in prevent defense most of the time so I would hope pass coverage is better.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hoggish1

I think the wrinkles you speak of are coming.  I saw improvement yesterday, which is all I'm looking for.

ChicoHog

I think blitzes will work against Bentley from SC as he is an average pocket type QB, ala Austin Allen.  I expect we will see more blitzes this coming Saturday. 

Al Boarland

I've tried to explain to this board that being aggressive has consequences and every defense has weakness, but it doesn't go over very well.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 30, 2017, 09:57:47 pm

watched four games............
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

havok

Agreed.  The 3-4 selling point from the coaches was that it was going to be a scheme that let us bring all kinds of pressure from different angles..etc..  So far everything has been telegraphed or no pass rush at all.

elksnort

Quote from: Al Boarland on October 01, 2017, 09:39:53 am
I've tried to explain to this board that being aggressive has consequences and every defense has weakness, but it doesn't go over very well.
agree that blitzing can be a double-edged sword. With this said our defense needs to do something different. Mix up the Blitz and somehow

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on October 01, 2017, 09:39:53 am
The thing is, we're all tired of being conservative. If we are gonna go down, let's go down swinging.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: go hogues on October 01, 2017, 08:06:31 am
The 3-4 was smoke and mirrors. It was a way to add off-season intrigue, so people would buy tickets. And as always, our fans fell for it.

As usual,  everyone on this board thought it was awesome during the off season.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

31to6

Quote from: pigasaurus on October 01, 2017, 11:40:33 am
As usual,  everyone on this board thought it was awesome during the off season.
It's called hope.

ballz2thewall

this is going to sound a bit trite, old fashioned, and very un hip, but...........

our DL doesn't fire off the ball on the snap.

they release as though they're running repetitive drills, and not like a predator.
The rest of the frog.

Theolesnort

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 30, 2017, 03:15:52 pm
So the overriding question is.... How do yo develop a mean nasty defense when you play this crap all the time? The answer is you don't. Heck, send everything you got at the QB, mix and match and make him beat you instead of giving it away if he is patient and selective. Absolute insanity.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Honestly we don't know how the 3-men rush will work, because we never rushed any.

seasonhog

as to not derail this thread, our 3 man rush is worthless, it's like playing two handed touch in the back yard and having to count to 5 seconds before you rush. In other words, it ain't working.
[/quote]

If your going to run a 3-4 defense ......one better have some great talent at lb.......