Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fall Practice Updates

Started by Seminole Indian, August 11, 2015, 07:00:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

August 11, 2015, 07:00:58 am Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:36:30 pm by Seminole Indian
Everything seems to be going smoothly at A-State.

Most of the focus has been on the interior positions on the DL where everyone has  noticed the changes, in size, talent and depth. While they lost only one player off the DL from last year, it looks like they will have a new 2-deep  on the inside.

True sophomore E.J. Sutton (6-3, 293) is recovering from knee surgery and will probably redshirt.

Darrius Rosser (6-3, 284), and Chris Odom (6-2, 257) have been moved to DE.

Returning starter Chuks Ota , who has slimmed down from 320+ to 308, and backup Clifford Thomas (6-2, 280) are still in the mix inside but finding it tough going against the  newbie's.

Looks like Jake Swalley (6-2, 293), Waylon Robertson  (6-2,345), Robert Mondie ( 6-2,331) , and Marcus Hudson(6-4, 295) will  be the first in line this year, although Ota is playing very well, and is still in the picture.

Alabama transfer Dee Liner ( 6-2, 335), will set out, and true freshmen Javier Carbonell (6-2, 285), and Dovonon Ransom (6-1, 300) will probably redshirt.

The other major issue is picking the OL starters where the coaches say they have 9 or 10 quality players to pick from.

The key is who will start at center, the weak link in the chain last season, and it is looking like redshirt freshman Daniel Keith (6-5, 275) has the lead there. He may be the most talented player in the line when all is said and done.

Most feel that Keith will be joined by returning starters  Devin Mondie (6-4, 304),  Colton Jackson (6-4, 281), and Jemar Clark (6-6, 306), along with Kyle Harris (6-4, 280).  Austin Moreton (6-1, 297), who has slimmed down from around 330lb, might be in the mix to start.

Other than the OL, DL, and special teams, it appears that the coaches are just focusing on finding out who the backups will be.

This years version of the Wolves was expected to be a lot better team than last years, and that appears to be the case.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

August 17, 2015, 08:05:48 am #1 Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 10:29:59 am by Seminole Indian
A-State held their first scrimmage Saturday, and for the most part the results were positive, and supports the notion this should be a lot better team than last years.

The only real negative was  Daniel Keith, who was in contention for the starting center position, left the field on crutches.

What is very evident is  A-State has a lot of very talented, athletic players at the skill positions ,on both sides of the ball, and they are much more physical, and talented on the  DL.

Still don't appear to have the OL to be  a real physical offense, but because of the talent at the RB position, still should be solid in the run game.

Perhaps the biggest surprises were some unexpected competition for the starting jobs at positions where A-State was returning some of the best players not only in the SBC, but all of G5.

Former Texas Tech/Auburn DE  Chase Robison (6-4, 245lb) is making a strong push  to unseat  returning All-SBC  DE Chris Stone,(6-3, 260lb), and true freshman Griggin Riggs ( 6-4 245lb) is doing the same at the other DE spot where there is an abundance of returning talent including returning freshman All-American, and pre-season All-SBC  Ja'Von Rolland‐Jones ( 6-2 240lb).

True freshman Justin Clifton (6-0, 207lb), who was called a 'monster'  by one of the A-State coaches this past week, looks to be a factor at the nickel-back position on defense, a position where A-State returns two outstanding players.

True freshman Warren Wand, all 5-5, 185lb's of him, looks to be a major   factor at RB, and their OC says he may be their best player with the ball in his hand.

Also surprising was the fact former Oregon State signee Tyler Trosin, 5-11, 207lb, may be their best player according to their OC. He will  be a major force at A-back, where A-State returns former freshman All-American J.D. McKissic  (5-11, 192lb).

Hopefully some UCA, and UAPB fans can fill us in on what is happening in their fall camps.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

August 23, 2015, 06:55:11 am #2 Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:02:49 am by Seminole Indian
They held their fan appreciation  scrimmage last night and like the rest of fall camp the newcomers impressed especially Warren Wand (5-5, 185lb), who is simply outstanding. Wand appears to be a very special running back, and is not a small back, just short.

The scrimmage concluded a very successful fall camp for A-State who did not suffer any serious injuries, and appears to be a lot better team than last years.

The ADG online article about the scrimmage:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/aug/23/red-wolves-aggressive-side-comes-out-on/

The TCU transfer, Cameron Echols-Luper, was at the scrimmage and will enroll at A-State Monday.

Seminole Indian

August 26, 2015, 01:23:17 pm #3 Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:20:26 pm by Seminole Indian
The biggest surprise of the fall camp at A-State, and their have been a lot of very positive surprises from the newbies, has been the play of their 5-5, 185lb freshman RB Warren Wand out of Oklahoma. He has simply been outstanding. Regardless of whether it was practice or a scrimmage he is probably the player that has left the best impression on observers.

Here is a little more info:

His Rivals profile:

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansasstate/football/recruiting/player-Warren-Wand-144800

I found these tweets posted on HowlYes.com by Troy Schulte of the ADG after he talked to Wand's High School Coach Justin Merideth .

"More Meredith on Wand: "I want to be humble, but I can't. He's a top notch level football player. ... He's just 5-6." Though, really, 5-5.""

and

"Meredith: "Warren Wand is the best player I've ever coached. ... If he was three or four inches taller, he'd be playing at OU right now.""

http://www.howlyes.com/

I found this article on Newsok.com.

"The small, shifty running back has a knack for making tacklers miss and look foolish, reminiscent of Barry Sanders. Edmond Memorial opponents did not want to punt the ball to Wand, where his elusiveness was reminiscent of Joe Washington."

"Arkansas State is getting a stud," Merideth (Wand's HS HC) said Wednesday morning during the signing day ceremony at Edmond Memorial High School.

http://newsok.com/article/5390555

Here are some highlights of Wand in HS, and he played in the highest classification for football in Oklahoma, so these are not against sub-par competition.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/869660/highlights

If first impressions count, I would say most A-State fans and the A-State coaches agree, and they think they have something special in this player.

Seminole Indian

August 29, 2015, 09:25:41 am #4 Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:56:42 am by Seminole Indian
JB Sun did a nice write-up on Warren Wand in today's paper, as A-State transitions over to preparing for USC. Not surprising, because everyone that has seen him understands why his HS coach was so smitten by this totally unique, and extraordinarily talented player.

I have given a heads up on a couple of young A-State player's on this site over the years that were starting their carriers and had demonstrated the talent to be very special players, but none were even close to this kid. He's talents put him in a league all his own, so hopefully he will stay healthy. If he does he will be more than most teams at this level can handle, and he will be a player current A-State fans will be talking about for decades to come, and comparisons to  Barry Sanders and Joe Washington will probably be a common thing going forward. He is that good, and maybe a once in a lifetime talent for current A-State fans. Again, hope he stays healthy.

Seminole Indian

A-State announced their 2-deep depth chart today, and newcomers have really made their presence felt.

With almost everyone returning on the offense it is not surprising that only four (4) newbies made the 2-deep on that side of the ball, all on the 2nd team. Warren Wand was the only true freshman to make it..

On defense ten (10) newbies made the 2-deep, including 5 true freshmen. One true freshman, LB  Tajhea Chambers, is expected to start, primarily because the expected starter is suspended for the 1st half of the game with USC for threatening a ref in their bowl game.

There are a lot of returning players with starting experience on the defense, and many did not make the 2-deep, so it is a little bit of a surprise that that so many freshmen made it.

They will have to grow up fast, that is for sure.

"Inexperience? Yeah, it's a concern," head coach Blake Anderson said during ASU's weekly news conference Monday. "But as I've said before, I've been watching both ends, I was really pleased with the way those guys have come together."

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/aug/31/five-newcomers-expected-start-asus-season-opener/?latest