Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playoffs Are Changing FBS Scheduling, A-State Benifiting

Started by Seminole Indian, May 20, 2015, 07:46:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Both A-State AD Terry Mohajir, and Associate AD Rich Zvosec  said in interviews on 95.3 the ticket , and AStateNation.com, that the playoffs are forcing schools to strengthen their schedules, and the P5s now want to  schedule the top  G5s, and preferably the top 1-2 teams in each G5 Conferences. They are willing to fork over big bucks to play them, and  A-State is benefiting from being considered one of the top G5s.

They have guarantees of 4.25 million $ for their non-return games to UCS, Auburn and Nebraska , and plan on playing one such game per year (the hold up with Nebraska was they wanted to sign A-State for more than one year, but A-State said no thanks).

Big winners are the G5s (especially the better ones), big losers the FCS under the new post season format.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ricepig

It is for Big 10, Big 12 schools, it won't matter for the top SEC schools, their conference does their heavy lifting.

Seminole Indian

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Seminole Indian

A-State has announced a home and home with SMU.

That, along with a home and home with Tulsa is IMO a big step in the right direction.

Need the likes of  G5's Southern Mississippi, Memphis, Rice, Houston,  or La Tech on their schedule.

Nothing wrong with Toledo or UNLV or Utah State but A-States fans are more familiar with those other teams I mentioned.

I do like their home and home with Iowa State. Go after the low-hanging-fruit of the P5's, who don't want to pay 1.65 million $ for a non-return game.

holeinthewall

Getting Miami to come to Jonesboro is huge.  I agree I go watch ASU on occasion but the majority of the teams they play I have no interest in seeing.

They need to work some 2-1 deals with the P5 teams.  Get a sold out stadium up there.

Seminole Indian

June 11, 2015, 01:41:41 pm #6 Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:51:56 pm by Seminole Indian
From everything I've read, most people think that the better G5's will have no problem scheduling home and home games with P5's, and A-State is one of the better G5's.

That Missouri, Miami and Iowa State agreed to home and home deals pretty much shut the door for 2-1.

I expect them to demand around 2 million for a non-return game, and many, maybe most, P5's cannot afford that much.

I also expect their attendance, which has gone up 6 years in a row, to make a big jump this year.

Looking at the national perception of A-State football there is no denying that they have come a long way in the last few years, and i expect that will continue. They are pretty much expected to go to a bowl game every year, and this attracts fans, and players.

This year their facilities will be what both players and fans expect for a successful program.

Like I've said for real and tangible reasons, the best is yet to come for A-State.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.