Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State Athletics Promises 100% Job Placement for their Student-Athletes

Started by Seminole Indian, May 08, 2015, 08:48:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

"You have to look at the big picture, and truly say 'in the end, what is our purpose here?'  Yes, we want our student-athletes to be successful in competition and win championships.  However, it all comes down to making sure they graduate and leave here in the best position possible to succeed in life after college.  This is about personal and professional development – gaining experiences that otherwise couldn't be obtained to enrich their chances for more job opportunities."

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=210075845
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Inhogswetrust

Enriching their chances is one thing......promising 100% placement is a promise they can't keep. No college can.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2015, 11:33:46 pm
Enriching their chances is one thing......promising 100% placement is a promise they can't keep. No college can.
You would think 100% placement would be a little optimistic,but I really have a lot of problems with this.

Does another SBC team have to offer better jobs, in a better location, to hang with the wolves in recruiting.

Maybe add a guarantee that they will be approved for a mortgage on a house, or a loan for a car, along with the job.

While you are at it throw in a wife and a couple of kids to jump start your life in the 'real world'.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Rooka

This is really odd. I wish I could sign up for something that 100% promised me a job because I play a sport. It's amazing the edge up people are trying to take now to recruit these kids. That isn't just at A-State, but everywhere. I guess if you can't offer them bands of cash, promise them a job.

ricepig

Quote from: Rooka on May 12, 2015, 07:30:18 am
This is really odd. I wish I could sign up for something that 100% promised me a job because I play a sport. It's amazing the edge up people are trying to take now to recruit these kids. That isn't just at A-State, but everywhere. I guess if you can't offer them bands of cash, promise them a job.

This must be what the $2/hr increase in student athletic fee is going for, that, or to pay the cost of attending stipend. I'll 100% guarantee they won't hit 100% on their job placement.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 12, 2015, 07:04:32 am
You would think 100% placement would be a little optimistic,but I really have a lot of problems with this.

Does another SBC team have to offer better jobs, in a better location, to hang with the wolves in recruiting.

Maybe add a guarantee that they will be approved for a mortgage on a house, or a loan for a car, along with the job.

While you are at it throw in a wife and a couple of kids to jump start your life in the 'real world'.

Haha! I'm sure some guys would think offering the wife and kids would be a recruiting DISadvantage! Probably make them want to sign elsewhere.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Kicking Wing

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2015, 07:48:04 am
This must be what the $2/hr increase in student athletic fee is going for, that, or to pay the cost of attending stipend. I'll 100% guarantee they won't hit 100% on their job placement.
The stipend in more than covered by either the revenue from the new seating in the press box or the increase in playoff money compared to the BCS.  Student fees are still very low compared to peers and lower than others in state who offer a lot less.

Kicking Wing

Without knowing the specific details, you don't know if this can be done.  It could be that there is an "or" in the fine print as in if you don't have employment within a certain time period you are allowed to continue your education at no cost or some other arrangement.  I know the University has a very strong record of placing graduates in jobs. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/arkansas-state-promises--100-percent--job-placement-for-graduating-athletes-181005278.html;_ylt=A0LEVw9muVRVOoQAvGJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzcTRkMXFzBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVklQNTQ4XzEEc2VjA3Ny

This is exactly the kind of thing that the new rules were intended to create.  A new study abroad program, enhanced education and employment training for those who don't go on to play pro sports, money to bridge the gap between the scholarship and actual cost of attending, etc.

We are expanding coaching staffs, paying coaches millions of dollars and building athletic palaces.  At the same time, most athletes are expected to train all year long and not work to earn extra money.  These changes are long overdue.

ricepig

Quote from: Kicking Wing on May 14, 2015, 10:11:03 am
Without knowing the specific details, you don't know if this can be done.  It could be that there is an "or" in the fine print as in if you don't have employment within a certain time period you are allowed to continue your education at no cost or some other arrangement.  I know the University has a very strong record of placing graduates in jobs. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/arkansas-state-promises--100-percent--job-placement-for-graduating-athletes-181005278.html;_ylt=A0LEVw9muVRVOoQAvGJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzcTRkMXFzBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVklQNTQ4XzEEc2VjA3Ny

This is exactly the kind of thing that the new rules were intended to create.  A new study abroad program, enhanced education and employment training for those who don't go on to play pro sports, money to bridge the gap between the scholarship and actual cost of attending, etc.

We are expanding coaching staffs, paying coaches millions of dollars and building athletic palaces.  At the same time, most athletes are expected to train all year long and not work to earn extra money.  These changes are long overdue.

But not 100%, and I guess if you had some fine print of "before you die" then I guess it's in the realm of possibility.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kicking Wing on May 14, 2015, 10:11:03 am

No coach at your school is making a million..........Your schools TOTAL coaches salaries for ALL the teams it has doesn't equal our head football coaches salary:

Name   Institution   Position   PayDescending   Year   
Blake Anderson   Arkansas State University   head football coach   $700,000.00   2015   Details 
John Brady   Arkansas State University   head mens basketball coach   $338,177.00   2015   Details 
Brian Boyer   Arkansas State University   head coach women basketball   $135,306.00   2015   Details 
Joe Cauthen   Arkansas State University   asst. head football coach   $130,763.00   2015   Details 
Carl Taylor   Arkansas State University   asst. football coach   $105,000.00   2015   Details 
Haralson, Melvin   Arkansas State University   Asst Coach (Mens Basketball)   $86,700.00   2015   Details 
Raffo, Thomas   Arkansas State University   Head Coach (Baseball)   $77,000.00   2015   Details 
Paschall, Lucas   Arkansas State University   Asst Football Coach (Football)   $75,000.00   2015   Details 
Dodd, Daniel   Arkansas State University   Asst Football Coach (Football)   $70,000.00   2015   Details 
Early, Brian   Arkansas State University   Asst Football Coach (Football)   $70,000.00   2015   Details 
Johnson, Allen   Arkansas State University   Asst Football Coach (Football)   $70,000.00   2015   Details 
Tucker, Anthony   Arkansas State University   Asst Football Coach (Football)   $70,000.00   2015   Details 
Rehr, David   Arkansas State University   Head Coach (Volleyball)   $69,300.00   2015   Details 
Patchell, James   Arkansas State University   Head Coach (Mens Track)   $65,000.00   2015   Details 
Kallhoff, Aaron   Arkansas State University   Asst Coach (Womens Basketball)   $64,420.00   2015   Details 
Wilson, Carlos   Arkansas State University   Asst Coach (Mens Basketball)   $58,000.00   2015   Details 
Scutero, Michael   Arkansas State University   Asst Coach (Mens Basketball)   $55,000.00   2015   Details 
Ziyenge, Lincoln   Arkansas State University   Head Coach (Soccer)   $50,000.00   2015   Details 
Johnson, Stephen   Arkansas State University   Head Coach (Mens Golf)   $47,376.00   2015   Details 
Desbiens Shaw, Marie   Arkansas State University   Head Coach (Womens Golf)   $46,589.00   2015   Details 
Tate, Sonja   Arkansas State University   Asst Coach (Womens Basketball)   $46,272.00   2015   Details 
Stewart, Aisha   Arkansas State University   Asst Coach (Womens Basketball)   $40,132.00   2015   Details 
Kostick, Justin   Arkansas State University   Head Coach (Bowling)   $40,000.00   2015   Details 

P.S. Those palaces being built are good but are only for ONE program, football. Yes I've seen all of them except the football one's being built.

Seminole Indian

Speaking of $, rumor is A-State has agreed to the largest $ amount in FBS history for a non-return game. Not suppose to be a SEC team.

Dropkick

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 15, 2015, 12:57:37 pm
Speaking of $, rumor is A-State has agreed to the largest $ amount in FBS history for a non-return game. Not suppose to be a SEC team.

Too bad you aren't a fan of ASU if so that rumor would really get you excited...................

Seminole Indian

Why would it excite me. IMO they should not play 'non-return' games  for any amount.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 15, 2015, 02:53:20 pm
Why would it excite me. IMO they should not play 'non-return' games  for any amount.

Well, they could just cut $1m out of the athletic budget, too.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2015, 04:00:37 pm
Well, they could just cut $1m out of the athletic budget, too.
That or generate more revenue streams.

One of the ways is to play teams like Missouri, and Miami at your place. Generates interest, and  good for fans.

Now if they can beat these non-return teams at their place then by all means play them, if not don't.

The last 5 years has proved that winning is the way to build a program, so schedule your OC games to win.

A-State fans will show up for Tulsa (on their schedule) SMU, Rice, Memphis, La Tech, Southern Mississippi or Memphis. Schedule them home/home.

There is no better example of the benefits of scheduling to win in the OC schedule than the UofA.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 15, 2015, 04:48:14 pm
That or generate more revenue streams.

One of the ways is to play teams like Missouri, and Miami at your place. Generates interest, and  good for fans.

Now if they can beat these non-return teams at their place then by all means play them, if not don't.

The last 5 years has proved that winning is the way to build a program, so schedule your OC games to win, because winning is the ticket to the show for he G5's.

There is no better example of the benefits of scheduling to win in the OC schedule than the UofA.

Or the vast majority of P5's. I guess TCU and Michigan are gimmies in your warped line of thought.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2015, 04:57:38 pm
Or the vast majority of P5's. I guess TCU and Michigan are gimmies in your warped line of thought.

What are you talking about?

Those are home/home games are they not?

Similar resources, right?

You did not mention UTEP, UT-Martin, UNT or Texas State.

You did of course find a way to resort to name calling, right?

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 15, 2015, 05:00:28 pm
What are you talking about? Those are home/home games are they not?

You made the comment that no one benefits like the UofA in out of conference games, I just mentioned those games. Last time I checked, neither TCU or Michigan were in the SEC.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 15, 2015, 05:00:28 pm
What are you talking about?

Those are home/home games are they not?

Similar resources, right?

You did not mention UTEP, UT-Martin, UNT or Texas State.

You did of course find a way to resort to name calling, right?

Have you checked the rest of the SEC teams OOC schedules? They all play a FCS and usually 1 tougher P5.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2015, 05:14:52 pm
You made the comment that no one benefits like the UofA in out of conference games, I just mentioned those games. Last time I checked, neither TCU or Michigan were in the SEC.
First of all i did not mean it as an insult to the Razorbacks, just smart scheduling.

I see you responded to the post I was editing, before I finished so my bad.

A-State scheduling schools like Utah State, UNLV, Memphis, SMU, Rice, Tulsa, LaTech, or Southern Mississippi would be in line with the Razorbacks playing Texas Tech, TCU, and IMO Michigan, and I am in favor of that, a long as they are home/home.

The Razorbacks benefit from the fact they can then add schools with considerable less resources (G5's or FCS), and the FCS schools are the only option for A-State, and they are no longer scheduling FCS.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 15, 2015, 05:26:43 pm
First of all i did not mean it as an insult to the Razorbacks, just smart scheduling.

A-State scheduling schools like Utah State, UNLV, Memphis, SMU, Rice, Tulsa, LaTech, or Southern Mississippi would be in line with the Razorbacks playing Texas Tech, TCU, and IMO Michigan, and I am in favor of that, a long as they are home/home.

The Razorbacks benefit from the fact they can then add schools with considerable less resources (G5's or FCS), and the FCS schools are the only option for A-State, and they are no longer scheduling FCS.

Yeah, well, we have a challenging enough schedule in the SEC, as do the rest of the schools.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dropkick on May 15, 2015, 02:38:06 pm
Too bad you aren't a fan of ASU if so that rumor would really get you excited...................

He might even have a post about it or something.................

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2015, 05:32:28 pm
Yeah, well, we have a challenging enough schedule in the SEC, as do the rest of the schools.
I'm from Tennessee, and knew before many Razorback fans, that playing in the SEC (not even this new on steroids version) is a whole different ball game, so I understand and appreciate why SEC teams schedule the way they do.

I was in no way criticizing the Razorbacks OC schedule, it is a good and necessary balance, to a murderous SEC schedule .

Winning is what got the Razorbacks to where they are, and will keep them there, it will do the same for A-State.

This is the first time in a long time A-State has been in a position to win consistently, AND THEY WILL WIN more if they got rid of the non-return games because 20 million $ athletic budgets don't beat 100 million $ athletic budgets especially at their place. Might have a shot, maybe not much of one, at yours.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 15, 2015, 05:45:25 pm
He might even have a post about it or something.................
I think you are right.

October 3rd is going to be my 'come to Jesus day' as far as having that despised label ever again pined on me.

Seminole Indian

Watched a video on AStateNation.com, and their HC, and AD made it clear that their goal is to be the G5 Representative in the Access bowl. If not this year soon.

So how does a 8 +/- 1 win program get to that level.

The key IMO is recruiting, more specifically how are you are doing compared to your conference mates, scheduling, and coaching.

To get it done they must have the best players, and coaches in the SBC, and a OC schedule that is designed for success, because you will probably need at least 10-11 wins to be the G5 rep.

Think they are getting it done in recruiting compared to the other SBC teams( they IMO have the most talented roster of players in the SBC), not sure how their coaches stack up against the other SBC teams, and still not 100% sure they are where they need to be just yet in scheduling.

Their schedule would have been perfect this year if they were playing their power school (not all P5's are power schools) in Jonesboro, and they did not have any FCS on the schedule.

ricepig

Wow....their stated goal is the same as the vast majority of all teams. What did you expect them to say, I hope we don't pull a UAB? They'll have to win them all to make an Access bowl.

Seminole Indian

Right, but IMO they are now in a strong position to be the SBC Champions, and even stronger going forward, which gives them an advantage, and a chance.

At this point I still don't think they have positioned their program to where 10-11 wins( maybe for multiple years) seems realistic to me, which is what it will take to be that team.

Just not sure yet how good their coaches are, and their schedule is just not where it should be IMO. They are scheduling better, but just not there yet, and not this year for sure.

I like those tangible things, and based on those tangible things I still have them as a 8 +/- 1 win program, which is good.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 15, 2015, 05:26:43 pm

Better wait and see who's on the 2017 schedule before you make such claims.......

Seminole Indian

AStateNation says A-State will play at Nebraska on September 2, 2017 for 1.65 Million.  Moved their scheduled gave against UNLV to 2019.

Also play Miami in Jonesboro in 2017, so that is two power P5's on their schedule for 2017.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2015, 11:19:17 am
Better wait and see who's on the 2017 schedule before you make such claims.......
Why would you attribute what they say to me. I don't care who they schedule, but their AD is on record saying what I have posted about their scheduling philosophy. One 'Advanced Training Game' per year unless home and home, no more  FCS after UCA.

My recommendation is focus on home and home games with the regional G5's, and only one power P5 per year.

I'm also on record saying IMO they are a 8 +/- 1 win program going forward, and primarily because of scheduling. Their AD says they are going to make the Access Bowl, regardless.

I'm also on record saying that for any 20 year period in the future the Razorbacks will be a below .500 SEC team, so Arkansas better schedule their OC games with padding the win column in mind.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 18, 2015, 11:23:47 am
Why would you attribute what they say to me. I don't care who they schedule, but their AD is on record saying what I have posted about their scheduling philosophy. One 'Advanced Training Game' per year unless home and home, no more  FCS after UCA.

My recommendation is focus on home and home games with the regional G5's, and only one power P5 per year.

I'm also on record saying IMO they are a 8 +/- 1 win program going forward, and primarily because of scheduling. Their AD says they are going to make the Access Bowl, regardless.

I'm also on record saying that for any 20 year period in the future the Razorbacks will be a below .500 SEC team, so Arkansas better schedule their OC games with padding the win column in mind.

Getting a little defensive are you, lol. You also are on record to not be a "fan", yet you are so giddy to run here with articles you poached off another message board, so there's that. No one care what you are on record about, except you. They are looking to add UAPB in 2017 it appears, so I wouldn't get on such a high horse about schedules.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2015, 01:05:41 pm
Getting a little defensive are you, lol. You also are on record to not be a "fan", y[b]et you are so giddy [/b]to run here with articles you poached off another message board, so there's that. No one care what you are on record about, except you. They are looking to add UAPB in 2017 it appears, so I wouldn't get on such a high horse about schedules.
Defensive? No really, but your post are intended to be provocative.

You stated   "before you make such claims", I just wanted to point out I did no such thing, their AD did. If they are not scheduling the way their AD said he wanted to then fine, but I would not count on making the access bowl.

As far as poached? Almost everything I know about A-State comes from sources like AStateNation,com, Jonesboro Sun etc., just like almost everything I know about the Razorbacks comes from here. I know longer know anyone employed by A-State, and the only other source are what A-State fans who attend my church tell me.

Obviously any efforts on my part  to give a reason for my opinion, about A-State or the UofA will not wash with you. You simply don't like A-State, and when it comes to the UofA you are a 'fan'.

One of the reasons Lanny created this forum was so that Razorback fans like you who simply did not want to read anything about any other state school could avoid doing so. I will only chime in on the other forums here if someone post something i feel I can contribute too.

No I'm not a 'fan' of A-State or the UofA, but Lanny did not make that a requirement to post on this forum.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 18, 2015, 03:58:11 pm
Defensive? No really, but your post are intended to be provocative.

You stated   "before you make such claims", I just wanted to point out I did no such thing, their AD did. If they are not scheduling they way their AD said they wanted to then fine, but I would not count on making the access bowl.

As far as poached? Almost everything I know about A-State comes from sources like AStateNation,com, Jonesboro Sun etc. I know longer know anyone employed by A-State, and the only other source are what A-State fans who attend my church tell me.

Obviously any efforts on my part  to give a reason for my opinion, about A-State or the UofA will not wash with you. You simply don't like A-State, and when it comes to the UofA you are a 'fan'.

One of the reasons Lanny created this forum was so that Razorback fans like you who simply did not want to read anything about any other state school could avoid doing so.

No I'm not a 'fan' of A-State or the UofA, but Lanny did not make that a requirement to post on this forum.

Just like you are a "fan" of ASU, no matter how hard you try to deny it, lol. Also, where did you say in this quote that the AD stated they weren't playing FCS schools any longer?

"The Razorbacks benefit from the fact they can then add schools with considerable less resources (G5's or FCS), and the FCS schools are the only option for A-State, and they are no longer scheduling FCS."

Also, find me where the AD said this.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2015, 04:07:23 pm
Just like you are a "fan" of ASU, no matter how hard you try to deny it, lol. Also, where did you say in this quote that the AD stated they weren't playing FCS schools any longer?

"The Razorbacks benefit from the fact they can then add schools with considerable less resources (G5's or FCS), and the FCS schools are the only option for A-State, and they are no longer scheduling FCS."
I told you in a followup post that their AD was my source for them not playing FCS, but because he has been on the record so often about not  scheduling FCS after UCA I assumed it was common knowledge.

I did watch a video today where he indicated that dropping FCS would be the trend for everyone, and did not mention plans of scheduling any, although it was posted on AStateNation that he was looking at UAPB.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 18, 2015, 04:17:37 pm
I told you in a followup post that their AD was my source for them not playing FCS, but because he has been on the record so often about not  scheduling FCS after UCA I assumed it was common knowledge.

I did watch a video today where he indicated that dropping FCS would be the trend for everyone.

Yet, I've read where he only said there weren't any on the schedule after 2016, not the same as not scheduling one.

Since he's your source, post it, provide a link.

Seminole Indian

"Terry Mohajir also told the Gazette that Arkansas State will not schedule FCS teams moving forward due to strength of schedule concerns.

"It's about the ratings at the end of the year," Mohajir said. "The way the new selection committee is going to work, if you have an FCS win, it won't help you. It can hurt you, especially when they're getting down to comparing schedules. If you lose to one, it'll kill you."

ASU is currently slated to host Montana State in 2014, Missouri State in 2015, and Central Arkansas in 2016."

http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/05/arkansas-state-iowa-state-schedule-2024-25-football-series/

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 18, 2015, 04:33:43 pm
"Terry Mohajir also told the Gazette that Arkansas State will not schedule FCS teams moving forward due to strength of schedule concerns.

"It's about the ratings at the end of the year," Mohajir said. "The way the new selection committee is going to work, if you have an FCS win, it won't help you. It can hurt you, especially when they're getting down to comparing schedules. If you lose to one, it'll kill you."

ASU is currently slated to host Montana State in 2014, Missouri State in 2015, and Central Arkansas in 2016."

http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/05/arkansas-state-iowa-state-schedule-2024-25-football-series/

Ok, it will be interesting what he says if they schedule UAPB in 2017, as some insiders suggest.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2015, 04:38:24 pm
Ok, it will be interesting what he says if they schedule UAPB in 2017, as some insiders suggest.
Well he originally said he would only schedule one 'money game' a year, which most A-State fans interpreted as only one game against a 'big-time' school a year.

Now he is scheduling home and home against this level of competition, which still leaves them playing two such teams in some years. Most years that will be a default 2 loses.

As far as playing FCS, if the Alabama HC is on record saying  they can not avoid playing them, I don't see how A-State can say they can.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2015, 04:38:24 pm
A-State HC said yesterday he thinks they will play an FCS in 2017.