Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Beebe talking about Arkansas State football

Started by Seminole Indian, April 20, 2015, 06:46:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Mike Beebe on The Drive on KNEA talking about Arkansas State, and a little about himself.

http://www.953theticket.com/?p=9029

I think depth at corner is the biggest issue, he thinks depth at linebacker.....whatever.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

DeltaBoy

Good to see the Gov. being so proud of his school.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 28, 2015, 03:16:22 pm
Good to see the Gov. being so proud of his school.

Being proud is great except he isn't the Gov.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 30, 2015, 07:41:29 am
Being proud is great except he isn't the Gov.

He earned the title even though no longer in office.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

April 30, 2015, 11:14:52 am #4 Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:52:21 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 30, 2015, 09:10:42 am
He earned the title even though no longer in office.

I've never believed in that type of salutation after someone is no longer in a specific job. One should not be greeted as from their former job. IF so then everyone should be given that. My brother inlay recently retired from the military. Should people address him as Sergeant? I do believe it is fine and appropriate to use Mr. or Ms. I do that with everyone I don't know unless that say otherwise after meeting them. Heck I'm 57 and still call my In-laws Mr. and Mrs. (she prefers Mrs. over Ms.) always have and always will. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

razorbacker3

It is considered rude and even an insult to NOT address a former President and/or Governor as such. Not that way with most other elected officials .

ricepig

Quote from: razorbacker3 on April 30, 2015, 02:43:19 pm
It is considered rude and even an insult to NOT address a former President and/or Governor as such. Not that way with most other elected officials .

http://www.emilypost.com/forms-of-address/titles/118-addressing-a-former-us-president

Seminole Indian

Little additional information.

"Former officials who hold a position of which there is more than one at a time -- retired judges, retired ambassadors, retired generals, retired senators, retired bishops etc. -- use their "title" in every situation for the rest of their lives.

But officials of which there there is only one at a time (The Governor, ThePresident of the United States, The Speaker of the House, The Secretary of State,The Surgeon General ...) don't continue use of their former title. "

http://www.formsofaddress.info/former.html#128
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2015, 03:23:05 pm
http://www.emilypost.com/forms-of-address/titles/118-addressing-a-former-us-president

I don't necessarily agree with that and what law makes Emily Post the expert? However that does leave room for a little interpretation. I will never think it is only right to use their "former" job title. IF true everyone should be addressed that way. We are suppose to be living in a society where one's livelihood is no more exalted than another's.   

Quote from: ricepig on May 01, 2015, 07:22:30 am
You don't buck Emily......

Bucking tradition is how our country was founded and being diverse is how we live. Sometimes being so "rigid" and "starchy" about things is not such a good thing. Formality is good but shouldn't have hard and fast rules attached to it. IF it was so then we would all still be wearing formal hats and suits and ties to sporting events and in public. Times change.

Inhogswetrust

May 01, 2015, 07:50:10 am #10 Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:03:34 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 30, 2015, 03:52:49 pm
Little additional information.

"Former officials who hold a position of which there is more than one at a time -- retired judges, retired ambassadors, retired generals, retired senators, retired bishops etc. -- use their "title" in every situation for the rest of their lives.

But officials of which there there is only one at a time (The Governor, ThePresident of the United States, The Speaker of the House, The Secretary of State,The Surgeon General ...) don't continue use of their former title. "

http://www.formsofaddress.info/former.html#128

I know what it has been historically and such but I don't agree with it and there is no law that says I have too. I know others like that as well. Thank goodness we live in a country where IF I disagree with those that have a "title" they can't have me executed. I know some people that never use formality in greetings even such as Mr. or Mrs. They generally use only a persons first name. We have become less formal in society as a whole and maybe I like that. There are jobs and business and social settings where we no longer dress up in suits and ties and I like it. I'm not bowing down to anyone because of their title. I don't mean that as a sign of disrespect and if they take it that way then that tells me a little bit about them.

Seminole Indian

I think most people probably share your opinion, and I to like the fact we live in a less formal society. Think the internet will insure we continue in that mode.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 01, 2015, 07:38:12 am
I don't necessarily agree with that and what law makes Emily Post the expert?

Mrs. Manners did.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 01, 2015, 12:39:42 pm
Mrs. Manners did.

Times change..................As I've said there are situations where formality is less today than before and that don't mean it is disrespectful.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 01, 2015, 05:17:00 pm
Times change..................As I've said there are situations where formality is less today than before and that don't mean it is disrespectful.

All I posted was it was correct to call him Mr. Beebe, not Gov. Beebe. It has nothing to do with respect.