Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Climbing Treestands

Started by Flying Razorback, October 17, 2010, 12:55:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

Does anyone here use them?  I've been looking at getting more mobile and want to do more than just sit at the base of a tree.  I've been looking at some of the Summit climbing stands as a place to start.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

BlakeHOGfanatic

summit vipers are where its at nothing else comes close in my mind

Flying Razorback

Quote from: BlakeHOGfanatic on October 17, 2010, 01:14:41 pm
summit vipers are where its at nothing else comes close in my mind

That's what I was looking at.  Does it really cause a stir getting up a tree in one?  Should I plan to get in place 30 minutes earlier than my lock on stands?

hogcoots

My son and I bought our first climbing stands this year.  We went with the Summit Viper SS model.  They have backpack straps that allow you to carry them in very quietly.  Once to your location, they are quick to get set up and you climb very quietly.  We are now mobile and can move for each hunt and when we leave there is no trace of our hunting an area. Other hunters can't zone in on your whereabouts.  You couple that with satellite photos of terrain and funnel points and the first time into an area may be a little advantage against that buck.

hogdiggity

I have used climbing stands for about 20 years, all the ones now are much better than they used to be.  I prefer to get my stand on a tree a day or two early if possible, so I'm not fumbling in the dark to get the cables/chains/straps around the tree and connected. 

I prefer a sit and climb model as opposed to the more open and hand climb versions.  Summit makes a great stand.  I have an API and it is very nice, light and comfortable and climbs very quietly especially if you take your time going up the tree.

95_alum

I like having the rail infront of me. Easier to climb with too instead of the open bow hunter model. Good choice with the Summit.

Tusk21

I use the bow hunter model of the summit. I love it. Once you get use to setting it up, it is pretty quick and quiet.

David†

October 17, 2010, 09:48:36 pm #7 Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:50:40 pm by purplehog44
I use the lone wolf sticks and the alpha hang on. You can use them on any tree and are just as light as the climbers. I use it mainly for bow hunting, it doesn't have a rail and is super quiet.

I also have a summit viper and use it when I gun and and want to be mobile.

They are both good choices and can't go wrong either way, just something to think about,

IronHog

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 17, 2010, 12:55:49 pm
Does anyone here use them?  I've been looking at getting more mobile and want to do more than just sit at the base of a tree.  I've been looking at some of the Summit climbing stands as a place to start.

Is there a tree in Oklahoma that you can climb with a climber?

I use one all the time, but this is Arkansas.  Plus I'm not climbing up a tree to hang a death trap hang on stand.  Those are for more agile people than me.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: IronHog on October 17, 2010, 09:52:09 pm

Is there a tree in Oklahoma that you can climb with a climber?

I use one all the time, but this is Arkansas.  Plus I'm not climbing up a tree to hang a death trap hang on stand.  Those are for more agile people than me.

It's tough, but this timber line I have is all oak and provides a haven for everything.

My property, It extends from the N2820 to N2830.  The 'road Y' it shows running through the timber is really just waist high grass that is used by farm equipment twice a year to get between the fields on the property:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=36.13707815817192~-97.97283760074578&lvl=17&sty=h&sp=Point.q0pmrw6v1ybw_My%20deer%20woods%20-%20Hennesy%20Property____

YepItsMe

I like them but I have a Gorilla....I don't like it one bit extremely uncomfortable I got in my stand twice this weekend at 6:45 and was ready to get out at 8 because I was so uncomfortable and hurting.I tried a friend of mine that has a Summit and I haven't had much problems with being uncomfortable.  But if I were you I would get one just stay away from Gorilla

BlakeHOGfanatic

I wouldn't arrive 30 minutes earlier maybe 5 or 10.  They make a little noise setting up but are really quiet going up the tree.  Like someone else pointed out the rail infront is very important to me.  Makes me feel a lot safer in the tree and makes climbing a breeze.  I think you should try one out I don't think you would be dissappointed.

IronHog

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 17, 2010, 10:06:28 pm
It's tough, but this timber line I have is all oak and provides a haven for everything.

My property, It extends from the N2820 to N2830.  The 'road Y' it shows running through the timber is really just waist high grass that is used by farm equipment twice a year to get between the fields on the property:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=36.13707815817192~-97.97283760074578&lvl=17&sty=h&sp=Point.q0pmrw6v1ybw_My%20deer%20woods%20-%20Hennesy%20Property____

Don't overlook a good quality ladder stand for bow hunting.  Deer pay no attention to the ladder and if you have some help the nice, light weight ones are not bad to put in place.

You really need both.  A ladder to leave in your favorite spot and a climber to move to new sign.

The problem with a climber is you've got to basically install a stand everytime you go in the woods.  It is loud, time consuming, hard to hide, and a pain in the neck.  The trade off is any straight tree is game that day and you can get by with one stand.

IronHog

Quote from: BlakeHOGfanatic on October 17, 2010, 10:20:43 pm
I wouldn't arrive 30 minutes earlier maybe 5 or 10.  They make a little noise setting up but are really quiet going up the tree.  Like someone else pointed out the rail infront is very important to me.  Makes me feel a lot safer in the tree and makes climbing a breeze.  I think you should try one out I don't think you would be dissappointed.

I'm with you on that.

Unless you are in really good shape I would want want a sit and climb type stand.  Those hand climbers are for college kids.

pigture perfect

I have used climbers extensively for 15 years. I love em. Go anywhere.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

SultanofSwine

For climbers I own an API and have hunted out of a summitt viper. Both are easy to use and very compfy.

edt

I use nothing but Summit. If you don't want a climber, the Buck Steps by Summit are AMAZING.

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 17, 2010, 01:31:17 pm
That's what I was looking at.  Does it really cause a stir getting up a tree in one?  Should I plan to get in place 30 minutes earlier than my lock on stands?

Maybe in the past, but now with the advent of cables you can be at your stopping point in 10 minutes. I actually got out of my truck at 2:00, walked in to my tree (about 1/2 mile), set up, climbed, shot, retrieved and loaded by 3:30 one day.

HogBreath

They have one at the Sportsman warehouse for like 79 bucks, the wife had got me one at Wal Mart a few years back of the same model, and it is a terrific climber, I also have one of the tree lounges, and actually much prefer the El cheapo, lighter, easier handled, sets up on tree much easier, climbs great, and best of....feels much more safe and secure.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HogBreath

Quote from: BlakeHOGfanatic on October 17, 2010, 10:20:43 pm
^^^^THIS^^^^ 

Obviously Blake has used some climbers before.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

IronHog

Quote from: HogBreath on October 27, 2010, 11:03:02 pm
^^^^THIS^^^^ 

Obviously Blake has used some climbers before.

Blake obviously doesn't need to go on a diet like IronHog.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: IronHog on October 27, 2010, 11:05:30 pm
Blake obviously doesn't need to go on a diet like IronHog.
Just get you an old API and climb a few pine trees. You'll get ripped...

SultanofSwine

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on October 27, 2010, 11:15:59 pm

Definitely get a good ab workout.

IronHog

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on October 27, 2010, 11:15:59 pm

I still use an API.

It ain't that bad, but I'm probably pushing the weight rating with gear.

gotyacovered

i have 3

ole man
api
summit

here are my thoughts on all three:

ole man
quickest/quietest up the tree. easiest to adjust, easiest to pack in by far. (the carbon model). from a comfort level its ok... last compared to both the summitt/api; however, the gap isnt that big. the payoff is the mobility. takes a lot less room to store and in my truck.

summitt viper (i think)
the most comfortable of the three, i cant carry it as well as either model, it is the 2nd from a quiet stand point

api (not sure what model)
this is my second fav, but it and the summit are more or less the same. this is the fastest up the tree, the teeth are offset more, which makes for more stability, but its easier to drag going up the tree, therefore louder.

hind sight, i wish i had three of the carbon ole mans, unfortunately i dont think they make them anymore.

the lone wolf loc on is awesome, when i hunt in kansas its my go to b/c of its ability to adjust/adapt to pretty much any tree; the cottonwoods i hunt out of are the hardest, most broke up trees i have ever seen. kinda like a huge bush.

i have an api loc on i dont care for much, but thats b/c it creaks, and i think its b/c its old. its not as adaptable.
You are what you tolerate.

NuttSu

API .... Get the bigger one and you will sit comfortable for hours. I have a few of them . I use them as lock - ons during the gun hunt.

IronHog

After using my climber for the first time yesterday..........I don't enjoy it like I did 10 years ago.

grayhawg

Have used climbing stands for years, 4 years ago I bought an equalizer stand. I really like this stand because you can level both seat and foot. Also can lock them together making it solid as a rock.

smoked hog

Finally got to try my new summit titan this weekend. Very very comfortable. Just another idea to look at.

gotyacovered

anyone tried any of the millennium stands?

Smitty86

Tried a Summit climber a few years ago and hated it. Stability on oak trees was horrible. I have been using API climbers ever since. They are more stable on hardwood trees IMO. In all fairness, Summit has made some improvements to their stands since I tried them. I have a Millenium Lock-on and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The most comfortable seat on the market. I am seriously thinking about getting the climber model. The one complaint I have about API stands are the sling seats. If you tighten the sling up, the seat is too rigid and makes for a long day. If you loosen the sling up, it squeezes your hips and makes for a long day. The millenium seat is just like sitting in a nice lawn chair. The most important thing to remember, no matter what brand of climber/lock-on you buy, invest in a good, comfortable, easy-to-use safety harness.

IronHog

Just for the record an API climber is more comfortable than a metal folding chair............in case anyone was wondering.

clutch

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 01, 2010, 11:18:25 am
anyone tried any of the millennium stands?

The lock on is freakin awesome. Most comfortable stand I have ever sat in. I also have a gorilla lock on that I like a lot. The thing I like about the gorilla is the bigger platform.

Albert Einswine

I bought a Summit Dagger this fall.  It's a fold flat model that sets up quick, climbs quick and extremely quiet and has no shooting rail/rest which makes it much better for bow hunting.  The seat is extremely comfortable.  Having said all that, I still prefer my 15+ year old Loggy Bayou.  the fold up/down web seat on it makes it just like a lock-on and in no way obstructs your bow limbs on side shots like the Summit does.  The only drawback on the Loggy is the hand climber portion.  It's bulky/unwieldy.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

gotyacovered

Quote from: clutch on November 15, 2010, 11:33:07 pm
The lock on is freakin awesome. Most comfortable stand I have ever sat in. I also have a gorilla lock on that I like a lot. The thing I like about the gorilla is the bigger platform.

so we took a millennium to kansas... this stand is awesome, but it is not very versaile at all, if the tree is straight its a pain in the ass. the lone wolf alpha is still the way to go as far as lightweight/versatility goes...

as long as you are hunting in a straight tree would highly recommend the millennium , very, VERY, comfortable.

clutch

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 16, 2010, 08:22:32 am
so we took a millennium to kansas... this stand is awesome, but it is not very versaile at all, if the tree is straight its a pain in the ass. the lone wolf alpha is still the way to go as far as lightweight/versatility goes...

as long as you are hunting in a straight tree would highly recommend the millennium , very, VERY, comfortable.

I agree on that, but I do love the fact that you can buy multiple attachments to hang on different trees for the Millennium. Makes moving the stand around much easier. As far as lightweight and versatile I can't beat my Gorilla. Light as a feather. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: clutch on November 16, 2010, 12:09:15 pm
I agree on that, but I do love the fact that you can buy multiple attachments to hang on different trees for the Millennium. Makes moving the stand around much easier. As far as lightweight and versatile I can't beat my Gorilla. Light as a feather. 

which gorilla is it? i have one that i like, but i wouldnt describe it as light as a feather for sure!!!

SultanofSwine

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 16, 2010, 12:11:33 pm
which gorilla is it? i have one that i like, but i wouldnt describe it as light as a feather for sure!!!

My Baby Kong's are reasonably light but the Kong is not, not what I would call heavy either though. I use an API climber like several others here and love it but hunt more off of my gorilla's. Working on a stand and climbing system that I hope to get the first prototype on shortly. Gonna hunt it the rest of the season and then make whatever tweaks are needed. Will keep ya'll posted as it comes together.

gotyacovered

Quote from: SultanofSwine on November 16, 2010, 01:34:02 pm
My Baby Kong's are reasonably light but the Kong is not, not what I would call heavy either though. I use an API climber like several others here and love it but hunt more off of my gorilla's. Working on a stand and climbing system that I hope to get the first prototype on shortly. Gonna hunt it the rest of the season and then make whatever tweaks are needed. Will keep ya'll posted as it comes together.

please do, there is a guy around here that makes his own climbers and they are a lott better than anything you can buy... cant get him to make me one tho!!!

SultanofSwine

What I am working on is a lock-on type stand. Hope to get the first one next week.

gotyacovered

Quote from: SultanofSwine on November 16, 2010, 04:27:32 pm
What I am working on is a lock-on type stand. Hope to get the first one next week.
Keep us posted

clutch

If you need a test dummy I'm your man.  :)

IronHog

I want to try one but I'm scare.

God just didn't build me for hang on stands.

clutch

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2010, 08:02:08 pm

I love lock on stands. They are a little scary when you are putting them up, but you can put them in almost any tree you want. Beats the heck out of climbing up and down a tree with a climber every time.

SultanofSwine

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2010, 08:02:08 pm

Dont be scare...wear a harness.

clutch

Quote from: SultanofSwine on November 16, 2010, 08:23:52 pm
Dont be scare...wear a harness.

Speaking of that, I really need to get a new harness. I lost mine so I have been doing without. It's stupid of me for sure. Don't want to be the guy you always hear about falling out of the tree and getting all messed up.

SultanofSwine

I did have a bunch of extras of the not so great ones that come with stands but it beats nothing. If I didnt throw them away, you can have one til you get around to gettin what you want.

IronHog

Quote from: clutch on November 16, 2010, 08:28:16 pm
Speaking of that, I really need to get a new harness. I lost mine so I have been doing without. It's stupid of me for sure. Don't want to be the guy you always hear about falling out of the tree and getting all messed up.

What are you going to buy?

I need a new one.

SultanofSwine

Clutch, just looked and the extras are not where they were. I may have thrown them out or gave them away already but dont remember doing that. Will look some more. I do have an extra linemans belt that would be better than nothing.

B-Sticks

I use a Tree Lounge. They are kinda loud when putting on the tree...but once you are up these in my opinion the comfort cannot be beat ! I bought the tree leveling kit, and adjust mine out to about what it would be like kicking back in the recliner.

I am however not fond of the bowhunting platform on them. I am 6"2..240lbs...and standing up on that thing is like being on a diving board. For gun hunting is perfect.