Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thanksgiving eve tidbits

Started by Porkatarian, November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweeter

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: GuvHog on November 23, 2017, 11:07:38 am
Gus isn't worth paying 6.5 Million a year to get.

That's good, Auburn isn't paying him that.

They are paying him $4.725 million a year IAW his contract extension of 2016.
This is my non-signature signature.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 23, 2017, 10:33:05 am
You're probably down into Charlie Strong and Skip Holtz territory.
Yeesh. Not good for Arkansas if this is accurate. Fine time to be in this predicament.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: golf2day on November 23, 2017, 11:00:55 am
I won't lie. I think he's an incredible offensive mind and will probably win anywhere he goes. With that said, I don't want him simply because I can't stand the thought of cheering for a team that does the prairie dog every play.
Why do you say, "I won't lie." Do you usually lie when you say something?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

JaketheSnake

Quote from: elksnort on November 23, 2017, 11:03:48 am
I have yet to hear a rational response about why someone dislikes Gus so much.
Bc he has been winning 7-8 games the last few seasons and IMO underachieving at Auburn, which makes me believe we should not expect anything more than 7 wins per season with him here. I'm not sure the upside is there with Gus.  If he can replicate what he has done at Aub (an apparent real run st the SEC every couple years) then I'd take him... just not sold he could do that here.  Can he get a staff of heavy hittin recruiters to come to UOfA?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: elksnort on November 23, 2017, 11:03:48 am
I have yet to hear a rational response about why someone dislikes Gus so much.
Well the problem there is that you get to decide what is rational.

GuvHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 23, 2017, 11:11:54 am
That’s good, Auburn isn’t paying him that.

They are paying him $4.725 million a year IAW his contract extension of 2016.

They'll likely boost it to above 5 Million a year and give him a hefty buyout if Auburn beats Bama Saturday. He still isn't woth 6.5 Million a year some want to pay him to come to the U of A.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Steef

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 23, 2017, 11:26:04 am
Well the problem there is that you get to decide what is rational.

I was gonna say "because you dont have ears to hear".

But yours is pretty good, too.

SooieGeneris

I have several concerns about Gus myself:

1. The recruiting cesspool that is Auburn. The Barners have made a tradition of cheating.

2. The failure to develop a QB. Newton and Stidham are the only good SEC caliber ones he's had, both were transfers.

3. The sheer hatred that much of the fan base has for him. Yes, it may be irrational in some cases, maybe it's because he rang up 70 points on their HS team years ago, but it DOES exist.

4.In years 2-4, Gus had a record of 23-16, 11-13 in the SEC to Bert's 22-17 and 10-14.

Exactly ONE game better.

I give him credit for getting his defense fixed unlike Bert and having a chance this late in the season to have a special year, but this has to be a concern to all but the most ardent Gus Bussers.

5. Like so many coaches we have had over the years, the longer Gus has been on the SEC scene, the more conservative his offense seems to get.

Of course, Bert went the other way without really being committed to it, so we see what we've been seeing.

Gus had a 5,000 yard passer his first year at Tulsa, it sometimes seems like he hasn't had that in all the year combined since if you take out his 2nd year at TU.

I will support him if he is the guy, but not unconditionally if we come up with a QB like Sean White and throw 10-12 times a game like he did last year.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: GuvHog on November 23, 2017, 11:31:44 am
They'll likely boost it to above 5 Million a year and give him a hefty buyout if Auburn beats Bama Saturday. He still isn't woth 6.5 Million a year some want to pay him to come to the U of A.

I refuse to be sucked into your dimension on Thanksgiving.

Go drink some wine and eat some turkey.

oldhawg

By the numbers:

Gus Malzahn (if he comes to Arkansas next year):
6 years as a head coach.
53 - 23 overall record (including this year so far).
1 - 3 bowl record (left Arkansas State before its bowl game in his one year there, so not included here).

Bret Bielema (before he came to Arkansas).
7 years as a head coach.
68 - 24 overall record.
2 - 5 in bowl games.

IMO, if Malzahn comes to Arkansas next year and is no more successful than, say, Houston Nutt, then it will be harder to terminate his employment than it was Nutt's tenure.  Not sure I want another ten years or so of Nutt-like leadership of the Razorback team. 

Again, IMO, I would prefer a younger, hungry for success, coach that would quietly take the state like a brewing storm and build his own reputation.  Urban Meyer had two years at Bowling Green and two years at Utah before going to Florida; James Franklin had three years at Vanderbilt before walking into a mess at Penn State and righting that ship; Dabo Swinney's first head coaching job was at Clemson (so far 99-29 in ten years); Mark Richt's first head coaching job was Georgia; Bob Stoops first head coaching job was Oklahoma; Gary Patterson's first head coacing job was TCU; Chris Peteron's first head coaching job was Boise State;  And I could go on and on.

I do not understand this insistence on someone with several years of Power Five head coaching experience from the South.  Once more, IMO, Arkansas needs to find someone much like it found Frank Broyles in 1958 who had vision, fire in his belly, and a willingness to work tirelessly.

In spite of mistakes like Jack Crowe, Arkansas's greatest successes have been with coaches with less history and more character such as:
Frank Broyles - 70.8% wins at Arkansas following 1 year head coaching experience at Missouri.
Lou Holtz - 73.5% wins following stints at William and Mary, N.C. State, and the Jets.
Ken Hatfield - 76% wins after five years at the Air Force Academy.
Bobby Petrino - 66.7% wins after four year at Louisville (although Petrino's fire may have been a little lower than his belly, and some would question his character.)

Although ultimately I will be a fan of whomever is hired (at least initially), there are several outstanding young coaches out there that are worth taking a chance on.  No more stale bread.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 23, 2017, 11:19:30 am
Why do you say, "I won't lie." Do you usually lie when you say something?
Never. I always tell the truth on message boards. Since I'm 6'4" 225 with a 6-pack, a plus handicap, a model wife, and a high 6 figure salary I don't ever have to lie.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

ChicoHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 23, 2017, 09:53:02 am
I can think of maybe 3 schools with a boatload of 5*s.

Unfortunately, Auburn ain't one of them.
Ohio st, Bama, Clemson and UGA.  Auburn is in the next tier with USC, LSU, UF, Michigan, Texas and a few more.  Find a great recruiter and you will have a pretty darn good coach. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: golf2day on November 23, 2017, 11:52:55 am
Never. I always tell the truth on message boards. Since I'm 6'4" 225 with a 6-pack, a plus handicap, a model wife, and a high 6 figure salary I don't ever have to lie.

HognotinMemphis

I can envision your 6 pack, under that pony keg of a beer gut.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 23, 2017, 11:59:17 am
Ohio st, Bama, Clemson and UGA.  Auburn is in the next tier with USC, LSU, UF, Michigan, Texas and a few more.  Find a great recruiter and you will have a pretty darn good coach.

Prior to Bielema, Arkansas was one game below .500 against Auburn.

Paul

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 23, 2017, 10:50:00 am
That is not true.  Their rankings according to 247:

2018: 75
2017: 56
2016: 61
2015: 77
Norvell recruited classes 2016 & 2017 which were the highest ranked in Memphis history. Not 40 spots higher tho

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Styflin on November 23, 2017, 11:02:05 am
You will still watch.
I agree it would be difficult to move on from Gus if it didn't work out, but you don't NOT hire the best coach on your board because it might be hard to fire him.

I certainly wouldn't be thinking about how to fire him before he even coaches a game. I would be focused on how to help him be successful.

Well, I'm a Razorback fan and not a coach fan. I'll cheer for the Hogs regardless. I just disagree that Gus is the best option and I think he has a very low ceiling outside of auburn or another easily recruited school.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Paul on November 23, 2017, 12:16:16 pm
Norvell recruited classes 2016 & 2017 which were the highest ranked in Memphis history. Not 40 spots higher tho

The 2016 class was Fuentes. Not to say Norvell isn't a really good recruiter because I'm sure he is, but let's not act like he's solely responsible for the uptick the past two years. Plus, this year's is back to where they usually are so far.

Oklahawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 23, 2017, 10:01:13 am
PS. Not sure NWA and the U of A are ready for Kristy Malzahn unless Gus has figured out a way to muzzle her over the past 5 years.

I think this is a bigger factor (but not an issue) than many consider. Part of the allure of a coach is the excitement of the unknown. Christmas morning as a kid, so to speak. With Malzahn, we already know (or hear rumors) of the weaknesses and problems. Anything short of a historic run of SEC success and we'll sour on Gus quickly. He would have a shorter honeymoon than a complete stranger would enjoy.

Or, am I seeing this the wrong way?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 23, 2017, 12:51:37 pm
The 2016 class was Fuentes. Not to say Norvell isn't a really good recruiter because I'm sure he is, but let's not act like he's solely responsible for the uptick the past two years. Plus, this year's is back to where they usually are so far.

Not a Norvell apologist here, but I suspect that Memphis does a lot of its recruiting in December and January once they know who the P5 schools are signing.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 23, 2017, 12:53:28 pm
Not a Norvell apologist here, but I suspect that Memphis does a lot of its recruiting in December and January once they know who the P5 schools are signing.

Probably so. This year's class very well may end up ranked higher. I'm more concerned that Fuentes built that program and Norvell is simply maintaining.

BR

If Gus get's the job, so be it.... Not my Choice...  Will never sell my Hog Gear, will have to Support our School's Leaderships choice..  Hopefully whatever they decide we can go back to being a consistent football team.. Every team we play will know they were in a dog fight, I am fan that 8 wins every year is a great thing... Hopefully some 9-10, but anything is better than being last in this SEC West..  I just don't trust Gus, no reason why. Just a feeling he/Jimmy Sexton are playing us. Whoever we pick 100% of the fan base is not going to be happy about..   Wish their was a Coach who had Chad Morris's recruiting of Texas, Mike Leach's offense, Brent Venables "D", and Lane Kiffin's attitude on Life.....  Not sure that person is out there.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 23, 2017, 12:52:42 pm
I think this is a bigger factor (but not an issue) than many consider. Part of the allure of a coach is the excitement of the unknown. Christmas morning as a kid, so to speak. With Malzahn, we already know (or hear rumors) of the weaknesses and problems. Anything short of a historic run of SEC success and we'll sour on Gus quickly. He would have a shorter honeymoon than a complete stranger would enjoy.

Malzahn will have a very short leash with one segment of the fanbase and an extremely long one from another. As you say, we already know what we're getting with Gus. There won't be a whole lot of lets-wait-and-see. People have already decided, and since its not entirely about on the field results, winning and losing is only part of the equation.

Tusks

8-4, 8-4, 11-1, 8-4, 8-4, 8-4, 11-1 .....

I'm ok with this.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

grayhawg

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 23, 2017, 01:24:04 pm
Malzahn will have a very short leash with one segment of the fanbase and an extremely long one from another. As you say, we already know what we're getting with Gus. There won't be a whole lot of lets-wait-and-see. People have already decided, and since its not entirely about on the field results, winning and losing is only part of the equation.
After the last 5 years of losing, winning will help heal differences.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 23, 2017, 01:24:04 pm

And that likely will be true with Norvell as well.

ricepig

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 23, 2017, 01:29:52 pm

Or Saban............well, maybe not him, but we all agree, the honeymoon will be short for those whose guy isn't chosen.

Hogs-n-Roses

I just wonder where all the1) takes time to rebuild,wait till he has all his players in here, stepping into a trainwreck, cupboard was bare,is bare, no proven SEC QB, Did you see the pic of the stands last Sat.........
2) would Gus,Norvell,Leach.....not deserve the same grace. IE Many on here told us all we needed to shut up til year 5-6 as any coach taking over a dumpster fire deserves that.
3)Jeff Long has left us in more of a dumpster fire than any coach ever did. That Pic of our crowd last Sat. proved that.How long before most folks sour on this guy. Hopefully that propaganda machine has been terminated also.

Paul

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 23, 2017, 12:51:37 pm
incorrect. Google Mike Norvell on 2016 recruiting class & you'll find links to Memphis Business Journal & GoTigersGo article of him discussing particulars of his recruiting his 1ST Class.

Paul

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 23, 2017, 01:29:52 pm
i disagree:  if Gus comes having taken a team to the N.C. game before & being paid $6 mil or more some will want results fast & be less patient. If Norvell or another up & comer comes in at 1/2 to 2/3 Gus's salary, the fan base will likely be much more patient.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 23, 2017, 12:03:46 pm
Ask your wife about it. Or your daughter, if you're an old fart.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

WilsonHog

Quote from: Paul on November 23, 2017, 01:48:27 pm
i disagree:  if Gus comes having taken a team to the N.C. game before & being paid $6 mil or more some will want results fast & be less patient. If Norvell or another up & comer comes in at 1/2 to 2/3 Gus's salary, the fan base will likely be much more patient.

Having come this close, those who want Gus will not.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Paul on November 23, 2017, 01:48:27 pm
The fan base will not be very patient no matter the coach. 

Hawg Life

Quote from: Paul on November 23, 2017, 12:16:16 pm

Which recruiting service did you use?

Hawg Life

Quote from: tusked on November 23, 2017, 01:27:30 pm

8-4, 8-4, 11-1, 8-4, 8-4, 8-4, 11-1 .....

I'm ok with this.

With 5 top ten recruiting classes and a $180k QB.. I think he's underachieved.

ricepig

Scanlon is still a candidate for AD, his wife hasn't/isn't stopping him from acceptance, if he is offered the position.

jgphillips3

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 23, 2017, 12:03:46 pm

He's just a bit off on the measurements but he does have a pretty wife, no beer gut and I have seen him carrying a 6 Pack or four.

cjack

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 02:29:37 pm
Scanlon is still a candidate for AD, his wife hasn't/isn't stopping him from acceptance, if he is offered the position.

Thanks for the Thanksgiving update rice. We were just wondering about that at our Thanksgiving gripe session.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 02:29:37 pm

I sense a smoke screen.

huntindoc

I was believing every word until the plus handicap.  😁

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: huntindoc on November 23, 2017, 03:25:20 pm

Bruh,

That was funny

I still wanna play a round of golf with Irwin. Match grandpa's version of things to his.

Paul

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 23, 2017, 02:12:40 pm
Which recruiting service did you use?
it was a Commercial Aapeal article which I linked in another thread.  I seem to remember they were using 247 Sports

Hawg Life

Quote from: Paul on November 23, 2017, 03:50:04 pm
it was a Commercial Aapeal article which I linked in another thread.  I seem to remember they were using 247 Sports

I don't remember which service I used, but they had Fuente's last class @ 90 and Norvel's @ 50. If I get a chance later I'll provide a link.

bphi11ips

You're seeing this the wrong way. This is why we didn't hire Malzahn when we should have.

I doubt he'll come anyway. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

seasonhog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 23, 2017, 02:03:50 pm
The fan base will not be very patient no matter the coach.

To many of our fan base sure was patient with Bielema.....who has destroyed our program..

bphi11ips

Quote from: huntindoc on November 23, 2017, 03:25:20 pm

Yep. Too big to repeat a plus swing.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Smashmouth2004

If the day comes that we hire Mike Leach as our HC I will officially turn in my Razorback stuff!! We don't need another clown who does and says strange things. If they are set on hiring Gus or Norvell then fine although in my 60+ years of experience the best hire to give our program a shot in the arm would be Kiffin.

ricepig