Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Short List for Basketball Coach

Started by Razorback7, January 29, 2006, 08:53:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

chillinhoggie

Quote from: pfrg999 on January 30, 2006, 12:08:53 pm
Quote from: chillinhoggie on January 30, 2006, 11:36:59 am
Anyone but Huggins or Calipari those are the 2 worst choices.... except Heath.    McHogfan- you may be on to something there with Rick Barnes.... even Bobby Knight is starting to sound interesting....

Yes Barnes... I would Rather cut off my Scrotum with Fingernail clippers that have Knight be the Coach of the Hogs

Ouch! that's the same way I feel about Thuggins and Calpari

Sanctified Swine

I live in Austin and I can tell you this.... Rick Barnes is very frustrated with the lack of support the horns get here. It is amazing, I go to longhorn games all the time just to cheer for the other team and despite the quality team that Rick puts on the floor consistantly, the place is never jacked up for the team. Its sad really. If the hogs had anything close to that product - it would be packed out with THE HOGWILD NATION.

I think if the package were right, Rick would come to Fayetteville and kick butt in the SEC

hogtheball

Is John Wooden still alive?  Maybe Red Auerbach wants a chance to coach NCAA
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Vanilla Sty

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 30, 2006, 08:22:34 am
To all of you saying you don't want Calipari to replace Heath, I will tell you that is a moot point...Calipari doesn't want you. He would never come to be the head coach at U of A. He's got way too good a thing going here in Memphis.  I'm not being mean, just stating fact.

By the way, Calipari is a good man. Not sure what makes some of you who don't know much about him think he is a cheater.

How about bearing witness to an actual conversation where he offers illegal incentives to a recruit?  Does that qualify me as being in the know?  I think it pretty much does.  I can provide explicit details about the recruiting process of Darius Washington as well as others in my area.  Calipari has a great reputation among high school coaches for his antics. If you knew as many as I do, you'd retract your post pretty quickly.

three

k, couple things, a few names are being mentioned without anyone really considering if they would come here.

Mark Few, the guy loves Gonzaga, he's not coming from the Pacific Northwest to the southeast.  Did we not learn our lesson in Stan Heath?  Don't take someone away from all they know and expect them to be happy.

Rick Pitino, much respect, and HE may consider coming to Arkansas, but HIS WIFE thought Lexington was too small, what do you think she would say about Fayetteville?  Pitino is a VERY OUTSIDE SHOT.

Larry Eustachy?  WTH!  For the sake of all our Sorority girls, let's stay away from him.  Besides, Nutt goes and plays with his players, and it hasn't worked well for him, do we want our basketball coach running around and partying with his players.

Here's who I WANT:  Jamie Dixon, Head Coach at Pittsburgh, 40 yrs. old, his hometown is out in California somewhere.  He's been the HC at Pitt for 2+ seasons, and is, counting this year, 68-15, and I don't think it would be easier to out-recruit kids from Georgetown (given their history), UConn, Villanova (who's been strong lately), etc. than it would be to bring kids to Fayetteville.  He's a TCU alumn, which means he's lived in the south, and would appreciate Fayetteville.  You wouldn't have the problems you've had with Heath not liking it here.  On top of that, the guy's a good coach.  I really like him, and I think there's a good chance we could get him.  If you're curious, watch Pitt against UConn tonight.  ESPN probly wont show it down here, but I'm sure they'll break in with highlights.  Don't be surprised if Dixon goes into Hartford and beats them.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

bcdeputy

How about a top assistant with a big time winner like UConn? 

The Coletrain

January 31, 2006, 05:57:16 pm #58 Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 05:59:43 pm by The Coletrain
If we're going to talk about up-and-comers - particularly from the Missouri Valley - the only guy that needs to be mentioned is Greg McDermott from Northern Iowa.  That is a program with a century of losing (never been picked to win any conference since the program's inception in 1900 until this year).  The guy's had them in the dance two years in a row and now they have their first Top 25 ranking in school history.  And he's beaten either Iowa or Iowa State every year he's been there (five straight years).  Missouri and Minnesota already have him on their short list. 

So no offense to Turgeon or Moser, but I gotta pick McDermott if I'm taking anyone from the MVC. 

FYI - they beat LSU in the Bayou earlier this year.  Not bad for a team recruiting in the shadows of Iowa, Iowa State, and Minnesota. 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

sowmonella

No short list is complete without...Jeff Van Gundy (5'6"), Mike Fratello (5'5") and Wally Hall (4'3"). :P
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

The_Bionic_Pig

Tony Brown - currently a asst. coach for the Boston Celtics
(Arkansas Alum)

Overall Brown has spent seven seasons as an NBA assistant coach, most recently as Kevin O'Neill's lead assistant in Toronto, and has advanced to the playoffs in six of those seasons. Prior to joining the Raptors, Brown spent two seasons as an assistant coach for the Detroit Pistons from 2001-03. During his time with the Pistons, the club recorded a 100-64 (.610) regular season record, registered back-to-back 50-win seasons, captured two Central Division titles and advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2003.  He has been a member of the Celtics staff since May 27th of last yr.

Sidney Moncrief - Two-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year, Four-time All-NBA First Team, Five-time NBA All-DefensiveTeam, Five-time All-Star. during his last season what he'd like his legacy to be, Moncrief replied simply, "I'd like to be remembered as a consistent player."  That is what this current (Hog) Team is lacking at the moment under Coach Heath. Moncrief left Milwaukee as the franchise's second-highest scorer, behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He ranked second in assists and games played, fourth in rebounding, and first in free throws made and attempted.

Darrell Walker - In the 1999-2000 season, Walker served as head coach of three different
franchises. He began the season on the sidelines with the Rockford
Lightning of the Continental Basketball Association before being named as
the interim head coach of the Washington Wizards on Jan. 29. He guided the
Wizards to a 15-23 record after taking over and was named the team's
director of player personnel in May. In July 2000, he stepped in once
again as an interim head coach, this time with the WNBA's Washington
Mystics. He remained in Washington as director of player personnel in
2000-01, was head scout and special assistant in 2001-02 and a scout the
last two seasons before joining the Hornets.

Stewie - Personally I think the above candidates would bring much more to the table than recycling current or past college coaches due to NBA experience and VERY CLOSE TIES to the University of Arkansas  The reason I emphasis the phrase close ties is if success comes their loyalty will not be lured away by $$$ from another major University.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogtheball

None of these guys (NONE) have had success as head coaches, and Mocreif and Walker have had their chances.  Sidney Moncrief is the reason I've been a Hog fan all my life and I wouldn't want him to be the head coach. It was just be too upsetting if he failed.  I had to watch it at UALR and it wasn't pretty.  Walker was a head coach in the NBA and never got close to anything resembling success.  Tony Brown has had no experience as a head coach at any level.  I'd love to see them all as assistants, though. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HairyHog

Bingo... Woo Pig hit a homer....  Darrel Walker is my choice, with Joe Klein as assistant.  Can they start tomorrow?  Sidney is a great guy, but didn't win at UALR.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: bcdeputy on January 31, 2006, 05:46:45 pm
How about a top assistant with a big time winner like UConn? 

That is what happened the last time we looked for a coach, you happy with the results??
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

hogtheball

Walker coaching record in NBA:

1997  TOR  NBA    30   52  .366
1998  TOR  NBA    11   38  .224
2000  WAS  NBA    15   23  .395

3 Seasons        56  113  .331

wrightobe

Steve Alford, who played for Bobby Knight at Indiana, and coached at Southwest Missoui State, now Missouri State in Springfield, MO, and now is Head Coack at Iowa in the Big Eight.
I surely did like Stan Heath, and have really pulled for him, but he does not seem to be able to adjust to the other teams adjustments to our team play.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogtheball on January 31, 2006, 06:39:25 pm

1997  TOR  NBA    30   52  .366
1998  TOR  NBA    11   38  .224
2000  WAS  NBA    15   23  .395

You can't equate NFL or NBA success (Or lack their of)  -vs- a  D-1 College.  Look at John Calapari & Steve Spurrier both flopped at the professional level.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogtheball

Alford always has solid teams. He's had a few big years this year against Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky.  His team did get destroyed on ESPN by Michigan State (85-55) last week.  We could do worse than Alford.

hogtheball

That's very true.  I just thought if we were using Walkers NBA experience as a qualifier for his getting the job, we should look at his job performance. He might be a great NCAA coach - it's just a big risk, with so many coaches out there who have a winning record.  I like Walker. REmember when he wore the socks that said "SKY" on one and "WALKER" on the other.  He is one of my favorite Razorbacks.

Soooie21

Steve Alford...get him before Ind..does..

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 31, 2006, 06:45:29 pm

1997  TOR  NBA    30   52  .366
1998  TOR  NBA    11   38  .224
2000  WAS  NBA    15   23  .395

You can't equate NFL or NBA success (Or lack their of)  -vs- a  D-1 College.  Look at John Calapari & Steve Spurrier both flopped at the professional level.

One trait that did carry over for Calipari, he can still pay players at Memphis.....
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

The Coletrain

Iowa fans will give you Alford if you want him.  They've been crying for him to get out of there for 3+ years.  But his buyout is so expensive they can't afford it.  I think we can do better.

hogtheball

What about Bruce Weber at Illinois or Bo Ryan at Wisconsin?

hogtheball

Any chance Mark Few would leave Gonzaga?  He'd be my #1 choice!!!

mountainhog

Quote from: mizzouman on January 29, 2006, 10:27:50 pm
You guys can have Quin Snyder, we don't want him.
Ha Ha , now thats funny!

VoR

While Knight certainly would not be my 1st choice for coach, for that matter even 6th on a 5 man list I really for the life of me couldn't see him losing to MSU or choking with Ala. or KY the way we did either. What I want to see from whoever the coach may be is some intensity, I want to see a team out on the floor that doesn't look lost for 5-10 minute stretches. Everytime I watch or listen to a game it almost feels as if 1 or more of the players just shrug their shoulders as to say "Coach, they just took my ball" and I keep waiting for Heath to say "GD it, go kick his butt and take it back then" but it never happens.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

hawkeyefan17

Alford, should have been fired after last season with the Pierre Pierce fiasco and the team finishing 7-9 in conference. He is a good x's and o's coach and he always gets his teams ready to play (especially in tournament game situations)

Alford doesn't have many fans among the Hawkeye faithful (too many disappointments, especially off the court to count) that have made it so he doesn't have many people in his corner, off the court in terms of mostly transfers.

Alford has yet to prove he can recruit on the Big Ten level except for getting Iowa and a few Indiana boys to play for him. If you want a national recruiter Alford is not your guy. Stan Heath is 1,000 times the recruiter Alford is.

So what's the difference between Iowa and Arkansas now? The guy can coach and he is probably saving his job this year. His teams generally are well prepared and execute well. Heath is the recruiter, Alford is the coach.

I personally like Alford as the coach at Iowa but he still has a lot to prove. Some of my opinion is colored by the fact that I lived in the Branson area while Alford was at Southwest Missouri State and I really liked his Bears teams.

Alford talked about bringing championships to Iowa when he took the job and he has yet to deliver.

I loved last years team and love this years team. The guys never quit and they play hard...hardnosed I guess. This team has played very well most of the year (16-5 5-2) After loosing the leading scorer last year the team rallied to make th tournament when they could have folded the tent and went home. I really hope this team has a great year and I hope Alford can deliver on his promises.

So all of this adds up to me having a mixed bag of feelings for Alford. He will continue to have good teams at Iowa and he will do well wherever he goes once he leaves Iowa.

Iowa can afford his buyout but I think Bob Bowlsby (athletic director) is going to give him an extension after this year to keep him from going to Indiana. Hopefully the drama of the Alford era is over and good basketball can come.

Iowa fans have put up with a lot of crap with Alford so he'd better deliver...and he knows it.

Alford at Arkansas? I wouldn't be against it but I think I would start suffering from "Alford Fatigue" SMS (my local team for many years, Iowa (I'll always be a die hard fan) and then Arkansas ( my local team now)...yeah I like the Hogs.

Here's another Iowa name for you....How about Greg McDermott at Northern Iowa?

HognotinMemphis

You guys are as stupid as Broyles and White. Stop settling for up can comers and/or 2nd tier coaches who will be another Heath.

I would attempt to bring in Bill Self or the UCONN coach, or Calipari, or Willams at NC, or someone of their ilk and stature.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogtheball

Are any of those guys better than Mark Few?

hogtheball

He had 159 wins in hist first six seasons - the most ever in NCAA history (tied with Roy Williams).  Of course, he's on contract through 2015 and every  other team in the country with a vacancy has tried to hire him already.  How is Bill Self more qualified than Mark Few?  His record isn't as good.  He's been coaching nine years to Few's seven.    Certainly not a difference worth calling me stupid for.

Boner

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 01, 2006, 12:53:31 pm
You guys are as stupid as Broyles and White. Stop settling for up can comers and/or 2nd tier coaches who will be another Heath.

I would attempt to bring in Bill Self or the UCONN coach, or Calipari, or Willams at NC, or someone of their ilk and stature.

Well, why not just go for Coach K or Red [CENSORED] Auerbach?

I hope you're being sarcastic.

pfrg999

Quote from: The Coletrain on January 31, 2006, 05:57:16 pm
If we're going to talk about up-and-comers - particularly from the Missouri Valley - the only guy that needs to be mentioned is Greg McDermott from Northern Iowa.  That is a program with a century of losing (never been picked to win any conference since the program's inception in 1900 until this year).  The guy's had them in the dance two years in a row and now they have their first Top 25 ranking in school history.  And he's beaten either Iowa or Iowa State every year he's been there (five straight years).  Missouri and Minnesota already have him on their short list. 

So no offense to Turgeon or Moser, but I gotta pick McDermott if I'm taking anyone from the MVC. 

FYI - they beat LSU in the Bayou earlier this year.  Not bad for a team recruiting in the shadows of Iowa, Iowa State, and Minnesota. 

That is A good one I forgot about.... They are TOUGH...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hogtheball

What if John Wooden and Auerbach were co-coaches?

pfrg999

1997  TOR  NBA    30   52  .366
1998  TOR  NBA    11   38  .224
2000  WAS  NBA    15   23  .395

That like our SEC Records... But c'mon look at the teams
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

johnny cash

Hopefully Pitino, but I would like to see Tater Salad as the ring leader.

hogtheball

Why not Merle Haggard just to finish out the rest of the season? He wouldn't take any crap from refs.

Roadrunner

Quote from: tacomahog on January 29, 2006, 10:06:59 pm
How bout David Hobbs?

Was fired from alabama for losing and being a poor coach.
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Cresthog

Coaches we have no chance with:

Few(Gonzaga)
Self(Kansas)
Calipari(Memphis) who would want him here anyway?
Pitno(Louisville)

Im sure there are many others that belong in that section but I just couldnt think of them. Mike Anderson....man Im not so sure about him, he may want to come back just to prove a point but then again he may rub it in our faces and go somewhere else.

Majerus...we have a real shot at i believe. Even though his health is an issue, he still wants to coach. But what it all comes down to folks is that Arkansas basketball is not what it used to be. Yeah, it can be what it once was again someday but not until a few more years. The job isnt as attracting as it once was when it first came open when Nolan hit the door.

IMO forget Huggins...he's a joke

hawkeyefan17

The Coletrain,

Thank you for mentioning Greg McDerrmott at Northern Iowa. I have mentioned him a few times in some recent posts with no response. McDerrmott has built a solid program at UNI. Many Hawkeye fans (because his teams beat Iowa frequently) wish this guy would get hired very soon by someone.

I, however see some benefit for the state of Iowa to have UNI as a consistent winner. It says something about the state of Iowa to have 3 winning basketball school in division I (considering the size of the state) supporting 3 winning schools is amazing. Iowa and Northern Iowa are filled with Iowa boys. Iowa State has some Iowa kids but the bulk of their success has come from national recruiting.

UNI now winning raises the profile of college basketball in the state as does Iowa kids (or kids who went to Iowa schools)  in the NBA  (Raef Lafrentz, Ricky Davis, Jamaal Tinsley, Kyle Korver, Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich, Reggie Evans, Kelvin Cato, some others I could be leaving out.

Anyhow, Greg McDerrmott will be a great hire for someone in the near future...I can only hope.

Tater Salad

JustoHogFan

Here is what I believe is the best short list.... Let us have a moment of silence first so that we may pray that the Ass of a basketball coach Stan Heath IS FIRED............

1. Mike Anderson, WTH Frank Broyles why the hell did u let him go... everybody knew he was waitin around to be the coach after nolan anyway...and to all you Anderson haters look what he did to UAB....did u hear me I said UAB!!!
They have the #23 recruiting class at UAB!!! Good job Frank... U F#@%%* I dont really believes its possible to get him but if we could it would be, what should have been.

2. Rick Barnes, I keep hearing alot about how Texas doesnt really support Rick, and look what hes done for that crap team. He is a good recruiter and has Texass ties which would really help at recruiting that huge state of texas. Plus dont forget how awesome it would be to take a coach from TEXASS!!! SOOIEE PIG!!!

3.Bob Huggins, who cares if he has thugs damnit look at our team right now I wish they had a thug instead of a bunch of wusses and a wuss coach that cant be physical enough to finish a game out. Who cares if he doesnt graduate players neither did Nolan and he was a great coach and nobody was complaining when we were winning and Bill Clinton was comin to see us win championships. He can recruit, he can coach and win and everybody has problems, and if Bobby Knight and Eustacy can have a second chance so can Bob.

4. Tubby Smith, this would be an awesome pick up if somehow Kentucky missed the tourney and got fired. Seriously, how stupid would Kentucky be to fire this great fiery coach that can recruit and win the big one. Plus he is a black coach like anderson, nobody could bite franks old prejudice ass about being racist....again and YES Frank is racist its as obvious as the O.J. Simpson verdict.

BossHog13

JustoHogFan, you were right on!, especially points 1 about Mike Anderson and 4 when you said:"and Yes Frank is a racist its as obvious as the O.J. Simpson verdict!" You took the words right out of my mouth, brother!!!

hawkeyefan17

What about Doc Sadler? I am sure he would love to come back to Arkansas...didn't he coach at UAFS?

dhornjr1

Quote from: Vanilla Sty on January 29, 2006, 10:30:43 pm
I believe Bobby Knight would love the job.  He's about done with Lubbock.

And all of you would be INSANE not to want him.

Certifiably insane.

You mean INSANE like Bobby "INSANE" Knight? And you for mentioning it? And INSANE like whoever mentioned John Calipari? OR Mark Few? Or Bill Self? Bill Self turned us down, the elitist bastard!!!JESUS H. CHRIST!!!!

mchogfan

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on February 03, 2006, 11:13:44 am
What about Doc Sadler? I am sure he would love to come back to Arkansas...didn't he coach at UAFS?

I love Doc....went to high school with him.  Supported him while at Westark (now UAFS).  Followed him most of his career.  Despite that fact that I think he's a fine coach, I don't think that he is what we're looking for.  I would care to think that our program can command a better hire.  Someone that has established a Top Twenty tradition.  I still like Barnes.  Wouldn't have a problem with Mark Few, but I just think from what I've heard that Barnes would embrace the job.
California...they tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: mchogfan on February 03, 2006, 09:58:01 pm

I love Doc....went to high school with him.  Supported him while at Westark (now UAFS).  Followed him most of his career.  Despite that fact that I think he's a fine coach, I don't think that he is what we're looking for.  I would care to think that our program can command a better hire.  Someone that has established a Top Twenty tradition.  I still like Barnes.  Wouldn't have a problem with Mark Few, but I just think from what I've heard that Barnes would embrace the job.

We should never hire a head coach who goes by "Doc".
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

mchogfan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 03, 2006, 10:04:39 pm
Quote from: mchogfan on February 03, 2006, 09:58:01 pm

We should never hire a head coach who goes by "Doc".

That makes a lot of sense.
California...they tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember.

The Coletrain

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on February 02, 2006, 11:24:17 pm
The Coletrain,

Thank you for mentioning Greg McDerrmott at Northern Iowa. I have mentioned him a few times in some recent posts with no response. McDerrmott has built a solid program at UNI. Many Hawkeye fans (because his teams beat Iowa frequently) wish this guy would get hired very soon by someone.

I, however see some benefit for the state of Iowa to have UNI as a consistent winner. It says something about the state of Iowa to have 3 winning basketball school in division I (considering the size of the state) supporting 3 winning schools is amazing. Iowa and Northern Iowa are filled with Iowa boys. Iowa State has some Iowa kids but the bulk of their success has come from national recruiting.

UNI now winning raises the profile of college basketball in the state as does Iowa kids (or kids who went to Iowa schools)  in the NBA  (Raef Lafrentz, Ricky Davis, Jamaal Tinsley, Kyle Korver, Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich, Reggie Evans, Kelvin Cato, some others I could be leaving out.

Anyhow, Greg McDerrmott will be a great hire for someone in the near future...I can only hope.

You're absolutely right, hawkeye.  Mac's an unbelievable leader.  He coached me for two years when I was in college, and I was the color commentator on the radio for his last three years at Wayne State.  UNI is very fortunate to have him, but I don't think he'll be there forever.  It'll truly be a tough decision for him when other majors come offering as his family is from the area and he played at UNI.  But it's going to be tough to turn down the money considering what he's making at UNI.  But I don't think he'll go just anywhere.  It'll have to be the right situation.  But he's definitely an up-and-comer in the coaching ranks.  Schools know about him.  There's no doubt about that.   

hoggystyle78

Maybe we get lucky and Louisville runs Pitino off. I'm not so sure he would come here though, I hear his wife is an east coast gal. If not Pitino, then how about the guy from Washington, his name escapes me at the moment, helluva BB coach.

bald hog