Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You guys gonna be ok pulling for MIZZOU

Started by tigerinhogtown, March 04, 2014, 05:59:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

osumed14

Quote from: Rawker on March 08, 2014, 11:29:53 am
I personally think that is wrong.  A win against Auburn or SC does absolutely nothing for the RPI and makes the Hogs lose their legs that much more.  In terms of resume aesthetics, being a 3 seed looks WAY better than beating either of those 2.

Agree!!  Not only does it do nothing for our rpi to beat one of those teams it would be a big negative in committee eyes if we lost it.  It's a NOTHING to gain and everything to lose matchup!!  But of course all that really matters is winning today!  Go hogs!!

RazorFlix

Vegas has Tennessee favored by  9.5  to 10 pts over Mizzou depending on the book.  Would be a pretty big upset for Mizzou to win. Georgia favored to lose by 7 to LSU.

Rawker

Quote from: osumed14 on March 08, 2014, 11:50:51 am
Agree!!  Not only does it do nothing for our rpi to beat one of those teams it would be a big negative in committee eyes if we lost it.  It's a NOTHING to gain and everything to lose matchup!!  But of course all that really matters is winning today!  Go hogs!!

Word.  Win today and the SECT is like a participation trophy.  But Hell, so many teams right there....what do any of us really know?  It's like a figure skating competition right now....committee could decide based on the color of the outfit in that 35-50 RPI range.

SPAL

Quote from: mbonner on March 08, 2014, 11:39:34 am
We shouldn't be scared to play anyone. They should be scared to play us!!!

This isn't the point, really.

Some think we need a win in the SECT. With a win today, I think we are in. Auburn/South Carolina is an easier match than tamu/Missouri. That's not feR, it's just reality.

PygmalionEffect

Are the scenarios in an article somewhere?

I tried to figure it out myself and came up with this which is unconfirmed:

If Arkansas wins today:

We are  #3 seed if Tennessee losses and Georgia losses

We are a #4 seed if Tennessee wins and Georgia losses

We are a #5 seed if Tennessee wins and Georgia wins

I want the 3 or 4 seed, preferably the #3 seed but I don't see missouri beating tennessee at tennessee.

lsu never comes through for us when we need them to, but we need to root for lsu today.  :puke:

This idea of playing on Thursday to get an easier matchup is NIT thinking.  We're past that.  We're playing with the big boys and need to set our sites a little higher in order to get where we want to go.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

The real Hogules

Not that I think it will matter, but I'm rooting for Missouri today.

I totally expect Tennessee to spank that Tiger butt on Sr day in Knoxville.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

PygmalionEffect

It's not pretty if Arkansas losses today.  Too many scenario's to figure out where we would be in the seeding but just know it's not pretty.

Today is a very big game for us.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

The real Hogules

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on March 08, 2014, 01:24:28 pm
It's not pretty if Arkansas losses today.  Too many scenario's to figure out where we would be in the seeding but just know it's not pretty.

Today is a very big game for us.

Yes, it goes without saying that if our Hogs lose in Tuscaloosa today it really doesn't matter what anyone else does. lol

Hopefully the Razorbacks team that showed up for Sr night in Fayetteville will show up this afternoon (fingers crossed)!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

jkhamhog

I heard an NCAA committee member say that they treat conference tournament byes like a win...so it doesn't help us to get a 5 seed and beat a bottom scraper. We get credit for simply not having to play that game.
Kirk Lazarus: I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!

pigbacon

We need to win today first and take care of our own business. But doesn't a double bye kind of count as 2 W's to the NCAAT selection committee?

Heard that somewhere.

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on March 08, 2014, 10:51:05 am
NO

We need to win at least one game in Atlanta. Getting the 5-seed gives us the best opportunity to get one (Auburn/Carolina winner). If we end up with the 3 seed then we've got a tough matchup against Texas A&M or Missouri in our very first game.

We DO NOT WANT a double bye.
I'm with you 100% Fayettechill

razorback1829

I'd rather take the double bye and just beat everybody. Who needs a meaningless win when we can just win them all? Have some confidence!

hldstdy

Quote from: Rawker on March 08, 2014, 11:29:53 am
I personally think that is wrong.  A win against Auburn or SC does absolutely nothing for the RPI and makes the Hogs lose their legs that much more.  In terms of resume aesthetics, being a 3 seed looks WAY better than beating either of those 2.

Totally agree.  The committee doesn't care if we beat Auburn/SC, but a bad loss to them could possibly put us on the outside looking in.  Getting the double-bye and losing to TENN wouldn't do that much damage. 

Kevin

Win. Let other bubble teams have to battle
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

gmarv

something about ole haith at mo. losing makes me smile.
so no, lose mo. lose. i think as fans we have a tendency to
over think things. we just keep winning we,ll be fine.

HogFanatic

Personally I hope we get Missouri in the tournament. No way they beat us a third time in a single season. I think the hogs would curbstomp them this time around.

popcornhog

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on March 08, 2014, 10:27:11 am
According to Jay Bilas, they(Missouri) are going to win the sec tournament

They have the talent. I think they're the third most talented team in the conference, maybe 2nd.

Coaching is another story.

That said -- they could make a run and win it.

I believe that the most likely teams to win it are UF, Arkansas, and Mizzou.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: HogFanatic on March 08, 2014, 01:50:45 pm
Personally I hope we get Missouri in the tournament. No way they beat us a third time in a single season. I think the hogs would curbstomp them this time around.

Agreed.
WPS

Fayettechill14

Quote from: jcworm on March 08, 2014, 11:10:32 am
At this point we shouldn't be afraid to play Missouri or A&M.....They would have played a game the previous day the double bye helps us get into a teams legs and wear them down which is to our advantage and a 3rd place finish in the SEC looks better on your tournament resume.

We're a team struggling for an NCAA Tournament bid. We're not really in a position to let our ego decide who we shouldn't be afraid to play. Over the last two years, we are 2-5 against Texas A&M and Missouri, with a loss on our homecourt and losses of 18, 18, and 30. Our top three worst conference losses over the last two years have come against those two. We don't match up well with A&M and Missouri always plays their best basketball against us. That is NOT a good first game. Georgia or a low seed is MUCH preferable, especially since all the experts are saying we need one win to lock up a bid.

Quote from: hldstdy on March 08, 2014, 01:47:46 pm
Totally agree.  The committee doesn't care if we beat Auburn/SC, but a bad loss to them could possibly put us on the outside looking in.  Getting the double-bye and losing to TENN wouldn't do that much damage. 

I can't speak for the committee, but everyone from Joe Lunardi to Jerry Palm to Jimmy Dykes is saying that 23 wins locks up a bid. Doesn't matter who the 23rd win is. It could be Champion Baptist, Auburn, or Florida. I'd prefer the path of least resistance.

Danny J

We want the 3 or 4 seed for sure. We don't want to play the winner of Auburn or Carolina. That is a lose/lose for us. It won't help us to win against either of those teams and just imagine if we lost. We need to beat Bama and hope for either UGA or Tenner to lose.

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: popcornhog on March 08, 2014, 01:57:32 pm
They have the talent. I think they're the third most talented team in the conference, maybe 2nd.

Coaching is another story.

That said -- they could make a run and win it.

I believe that the most likely teams to win it are UF, Arkansas, and Mizzou.
They won't beat us a third time around if we played them again.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on March 08, 2014, 10:51:05 am
NO

We need to win at least one game in Atlanta. Getting the 5-seed gives us the best opportunity to get one (Auburn/Carolina winner). If we end up with the 3 seed then we've got a tough matchup against Texas A&M or Missouri in our very first game.

We DO NOT WANT a double bye.

Careful what you wish for.

thegrizz

Quote from: mbonner on March 08, 2014, 11:39:34 am
We shouldn't be scared to play anyone. They should be scared to play us!!!

I will say my tigers are not afraid to play anyone. Because you have to care to be afraid, and this bunch quit half way through the season. If we play you guys again and you dont destroy us then you need to worry.  I hate to slam my own school, but this is a team of quitters with a coach who doesnt know how to change them. I will be pulling for you guys against everyone but mizzou cuz i like a team that plays hard.