Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long selected as one of top ADs

Started by Karma, August 17, 2017, 02:45:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 11:31:07 am
Jeff tell you that?

When a coach gets fired after only his 3rd season on the job, it's as obvious as the nose on ones face that it isn't because of his record.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 10:29:30 am
Firing someone is firing someone, or haven't you ever fired someone that you didn't directly hire? As to others, whomever Dykes replaced, previous softball coach, and any other fired coach I'm not going to look up. So, from your view he doesn't get credit for the firings, just the bad hires? If Bielema doesn't pick up the win total, he won't be here after 2018, I guess you would have fired him in year one.
I don't think he's to fire anyone as long as PC and PR stuff is good. That's what I think. I guarantee you Bielema will never be publicly fired. I would bet you $$ right now that will never happen. We could win 0 games this year and he wouldn't be "fired." He may "resign" or "take another job" but Jeff Long will never stand at a podium and publicly fire Bielema for not winning enough football games. Next time you talk to Jeff ask him hypothetically and see what he says.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 19, 2017, 10:41:19 am
Dykes was fired because he was a terrible coach. You know, reality and all.
Hilarious notion. Not surprised to see you wave this flag though.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 19, 2017, 12:31:31 pm
I don't think he's to fire anyone as long as PC and PR stuff is good. That's what I think. I guarantee you Bielema will never be publicly fired. I would bet you $$ right now that will never happen. We could win 0 games this year and he wouldn't be "fired." He may "resign" or "take another job" but Jeff Long will never stand at a podium and publicly fire Bielema for not winning enough football games. Next time you talk to Jeff ask him hypothetically and see what he says.

So Hugh resigned, right?? You're smarter than this, or I hope you are. You can call it whatever you wish, but it's the same thing, they are let go for not winning enough games. Coaches are given the opportunity to resign in order to help their career, but if they get the severance pay, they're fired.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 12:40:35 pm
So Hugh resigned, right?? You're smarter than this, or I hope you are. You can call it whatever you wish, but it's the same thing, they are let go for not winning enough games. Coaches are given the opportunity to resign in order to help their career, but if they get the severance pay, they're fired.

Technically Hugh resigned but he was told if he didn't resign, he would be fired. He wasn't forced out because of his record though. He won at Ole Miss even though he cheated to do so. He didn't get any severance pay either.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 01:20:38 pm
Technically Hugh resigned but he was told if he didn't resign, he would be fired. He wasn't forced out because of his record though. He won at Ole Miss even though he cheated.

He won at Ole Miss because he cheated.

GuvHog

Hogwild

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 12:40:35 pm

What happen with Robb Smith, did he have to pay the school a portion of his buyout, or did we cut him a check?

I know that him and CBB weren't a good fit together, living out of state, I didn't know how it was resolved.

gchamblee

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 19, 2017, 07:44:46 am
The new Hog logo is another one...I absolutely can't stand it. I think it's the worst logo in our history. Yes worse than popcorn Hog. Compare it to the Arkansas State red wolf logo, looks almost identical. Why am I not surprised Jeff Long had his hands all over that move?

For me it's about our branding. The guy doesn't care about winning...little to no emphasis there. Simply a cherry on top to him if we do win. Bielema has had (and still does imo) little to no pressure to win here...I see that as a problem. Look at the buyout.

Our brand is all about integrity and academics. It's almost like he's trying to turn us into Vanderbilt. Tough for me to get pumped up about that. I know it's an insane idea, but I've always been one to think a sports program ought to be about sports.

lol

gchamblee

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 19, 2017, 09:13:54 am
He's beyond excellent getting people to buy in to his brand...seriously. Think about this, what other fan base in the SEC would be this ecstatic and enthusiastic if they collectively had the last 5 years we had? What they do is deflect away from actual sports and most buy into it. Talking points are $$$$, integrity, game day experience, APR, etc.

I assume that you are smart enough to know that you can't keep posting the trash that you do and expect people to take you seriously. I assume that since you continue to post this trash, knowing the consequences, you are literally only here for the luls. If you are serious about the things you type, I hope you wear a helmet when you leave the house.

gchamblee

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 19, 2017, 12:31:31 pm

I see your problem now lol. You are pissed because he had the balls to fire your hero, while standing at a podium and announcing it. Now, you feel he should fire all coaches that way as retribution. All of your posts now make sense to me. You were a petrino fluffer, long fired him, you wept, and now you want revenge.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on August 19, 2017, 06:29:44 pm
I assume that you are smart enough to know that you can't keep posting the trash that you do and expect people to take you seriously. I assume that since you continue to post this trash, knowing the consequences, you are literally only here for the luls. If you are serious about the things you type, I hope you wear a helmet when you leave the house.

You are a prime example of the people he referred to who have bought lock, stock, and barrel in to what Long is selling. that you would physically threaten someone who disagrees with you is very telling.

Hogwild

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 19, 2017, 07:44:46 am
Our brand is all about integrity and academics. It's almost like he's trying to turn us into Vanderbilt. Tough for me to get pumped up about that. I know it's an insane idea, but I've always been one to think a sports program ought to be about sports.

Considering that Vandy has won more conference games than us over the past 5 years, mission accomplished?

HogHomer

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 06:39:03 pm
You are a prime example of the people he referred to who have bought lock, stock, and barrel in to what Long is selling. that you would physically threaten someone who disagrees with you is very telling.
Umm that wasn't a threat....

GuvHog

Quote from: HogHomer on August 19, 2017, 07:02:49 pm
Umm that wasn't a threat....

Bull. When someone tells someone else that they better wear a helmet if they go outside, that is a threat.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 07:06:06 pm
Bull. When someone tells someone else that they better wear a helmet if they go outside, that is a threat.

Huh? I believe it's a reference to the sky falling, lol....

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 07:07:20 pm
Huh? I believe it's a reference to the sky falling, lol....

Now that you mention it, it could be that too.

HogHomer

I don't know where you are from so maybe it's a regional thing but I have never once heard that as a threat.

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 07:08:58 pm

44,600 posts summed up in 2.

Headhog32

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 11:31:07 am
Jeff tell you that?
no need for the sarcasm rice piggy. if you don't know why dykes was fired then you need to pay attention buddy

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 06:39:03 pm

lol come on man

ricepig

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 19, 2017, 11:49:41 pm
no need for the sarcasm rice piggy. if you don't know why dykes was fired then you need to pay attention buddy

Um....the fact that he couldn't field a roster or a coaching staff because no one wanted to play or be a "yes man" for him? And it isn't sarcasm, if you've been on here long enough, you know Guv always referred to his inside info from a BOT member, I was just asking if Jeff Long had told him that since he didn't give a source.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 11:53:53 am
When a coach gets fired after only his 3rd season on the job, it's as obvious as the nose on ones face that it isn't because of his record.

It can be because of stuff other than the record or it can also be the record for some coaches. Unless Jeff personally told you that, you don't know.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 19, 2017, 07:23:24 pm
44,600 posts summed up in 2.

Guv believes in multiple second chances. Especially for himself.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 07:25:43 am
Um....the fact that he couldn't field a roster or a coaching staff because no one wanted to play or be a "yes man" for him? And it isn't sarcasm, if you've been on here long enough, you know Guv always referred to his inside info from a BOT member, I was just asking if Jeff Long had told him that since he didn't give a source.

Haha! Those former BOT members come at you so fast it just messes you up!

majestic

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 07:08:58 pm
Ever see the disabled kid who had to wear a helmet due to the inability to control his/her movements? That's the reference. (Used to call them retards, if that makes it easier for you to understand)
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 20, 2017, 07:52:24 am
It can be because of stuff other than the record or it can also be the record for some coaches. Unless Jeff personally told you that, you don't know.

Be reasonable. Rarely ever does a coach get fired after his 3rd year because of his record. Former Hog Joe Kleine hit the nail on the head when he said Jimmy Dykes got a dirty deal.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on August 17, 2017, 03:41:32 pm
Am I the only one who likes JL lol?
No there are 4 or 5 others. They post on here all the time. Propaganda machine. Yes sir may I have another. Its all Bobby P. s fault and we been sorry for 25 years and shouldn t expect to win big here and your a dumba$$ for thinkin its possible.......

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: GuvHog on August 20, 2017, 12:27:50 pm
Be reasonable. Rarely ever does a coach get fired after his 3rd year because of his record. Former Hog Joe Kleine hit the nail on the head when he said Jimmy Dykes got a dirty deal.

How can a deadman be expected to successfully coach a basketball team?

Once you disrespect the Flag and National Anthem of this country you are dead to me.

Any person, and athlete, Razorback or not.

hawgon

August 20, 2017, 05:10:46 pm #180 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:54:49 am by hawgon
While the anthem thing didn't help, I don't think Dykes was fired for any other reason than that he was a terrible coach.  And of course, Long hired him.  It was a terrible hire.  I said so at the time.  And it had predictably bad results.  I also said that hiring John L. Smith was a disaster the minute he did it.

Long is an idiot when it comes to hiring and firing.

Inhogswetrust

August 21, 2017, 07:39:10 am #181 Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:39:14 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GuvHog on August 20, 2017, 12:27:50 pm

Of course Joe is going to take up for his friend. I know them both. Both good guys yet different in some ways. The one thing they both have in common above all is great families and being family men.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 21, 2017, 07:39:10 am
Of course Joe is going to take up for his friend. I know them both. Both good guys yet different in some ways. The one thing they both have in common above all is great families and family men.

Say what you want but Joe was right. Dykes got a dirty deal. Unless a head coach has some serious off of the court issues, he doesn't get fired in year 3 before he's had a chance to field a team made up of only his recruits. If Long had done that to Mike Anderson or Bret Bielema, many on here would have pitched a fit.

hogsanity

Only here would "fans" complain when a member of the administration is voted at or near the top of their profession.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 08:34:18 am
Only here would "fans" complain when a member of the administration is voted at or near the top of their profession.

GuvHog

I agree that when it comes to fundraising for the Athletic Department, Long is near the top of his field. I see no reason to doubt that.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: GuvHog on August 21, 2017, 08:47:13 am
I agree that when it comes to fundraising for the Athletic Department, Long is near the top of his field. I see no reason to doubt that.

You have once again absolutely made a fool of yourself in this thread, Guv.

Sometimes it is best to cut your losses and let it go.

bp

GuvHog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 21, 2017, 10:19:30 am
You have once again absolutely made a fool of yourself in this thread, Guv.

Sometimes it is best to cut your losses and let it go.

bp

What did I say in that post that is wrong?? Isn't it true that Long is near the top of his field when it comes to fundraising for the Athletic Department??

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 08:34:18 am

Fans don't typically care about the income statement and balance sheet of their team.  As long as the team has a nice stadium in which to play and the appropriate equipment that's pretty much it for fans.  I've been attending Arkansas football games since 1982.  I never really cared about how the stadium looked or how much money anyone raised or made.  In 2001 the Razorback Stadium construction project was completed and the stadium, Jumbotron, and so forth debuted in for the most part their current configuration. 

Bud Walton Arena was built in the 90s.  The baseball and track facilities were completed more than a decade ago.  You know what all those building projects had in common?  They were done when Frank Broyles was the athletic director.

Fans may mention those things, but for the most part that's not what being a fan is all about.  Fans typically care about one thing...winning.  They yell and jump and stomp and maybe even throw things (hopefully at home) not because a dentist in Fort Smith just upped his donation level, but because the team made a big play or lost the ball.  Fans react because the team won or lost.

We have a unique situation at Arkansas.  Half a decade ago a lot of people pushed all their chips to the middle of the table and staked their positions.  No one, or at least not many, are going to admit they were wrong, so when results on the field are not favorable for supporting those positions alternative arguments are made.  If wins and losses don't make the case maybe finances will.   

That's what this is all about, and we all know it.  There is no mystery.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 21, 2017, 10:52:43 am
Fans don't typically care about the income statement and balance sheet of their team.  As long as the team has a nice stadium in which to play and the appropriate equipment that's pretty much it for fans.  I've been attending Arkansas football games since 1982.  I never really cared about how the stadium looked or how much money anyone raised or made.  In 2001 the Razorback Stadium construction project was completed and the stadium, Jumbotron, and so forth debuted in for the most part their current configuration. 

Bud Walton Arena was built in the 90s.  The baseball and track facilities were completed more than a decade ago.  You know what all those building projects had in common?  They were done when Frank Broyles was the athletic director.

Fans may mention those things, but for the most part that's not what being a fan is all about.  Fans typically care about one thing...winning.  They yell and jump and stomp and maybe even throw things (hopefully at home) not because a dentist in Fort Smith just upped his donation level, but because the team made a big play or lost the ball.  Fans react because the team won or lost.

We have a unique situation at Arkansas.  Half a decade ago a lot of people pushed all their chips to the middle of the table and staked their positions.  No one, or at least not many, are going to admit they were wrong, so when results on the field are not favorable for supporting those positions alternative arguments are made.  If wins and losses don't make the case maybe finances will.   

Except the main focus of the AD is the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPT, and most fans only focus on football.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

100% spot on.  Every word of it.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

The narrative will still come down to wins and losses, it always does. Now, just because others have a different time frame than you, doesn't mean it isn't so. If you don't wish to read about finances or academics, then I suggest you unplug your phone and computer.

Inhogswetrust

Some fans do indeed only care about winning and that's sad BUT not myself and a lot of others, especially Alums like me. I care about the WHOLE University and whether students both athletes and regular graduate, don't embarrass the school and go out into the world to make themselves, their families, their communities, their state, their country, their world and yes their University a better place. Both athletes and regular students do that for their respective schools all over the country without winning a lot in athletic events. Some fans with no overt or concrete connection to the school or didn't play there will never understand that and that's fine. BUT they should give much more credit to those that do in either victory or defeat and especially since those athletes sweated, work extremely hard, have no time for a regular life, risk serious injury and even death to go to school while also entertaining them at the same time. I actually have more respect for those fans that don't wilt through all the bad years and those that root for a program that never really had a lot of winning on the field but continue to be fans without getting all bent out of shape and constantly complaining. How one responds to losing or winning is much more important than the actual win or loss itself. That's obviously true of the athletes but it is also true of fans. 

gchamblee

I'm in it for the wins. I want to win more than we are now. I also want to do it with high quality young men that are good students that represent the university well. In spite of some disappointing seasons, I am so far still happy with what we are doing and who we are doing it with and I really don't give a rats ass who it pisses off on hogville.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 21, 2017, 11:36:55 am
Some fans do indeed only care about winning and that's sad BUT not myself and a lot of others, especially Alums like me. I care about the WHOLE University and whether students both athletes and regular graduate, don't embarrass the school and go out into the world to make themselves, their families, their communities, their state, their country, their world and yes their University a better place. Both athletes and regular students do that for their respective schools all over the country without winning a lot in athletic events. Some fans with no overt or concrete connection to the school or didn't play there will never understand that and that's fine. BUT they should give much more credit to those that do in either victory or defeat and especially since those athletes sweated, work extremely hard, have no time for a regular life, risk serious injury and even death to go to school while also entertaining them at the same time. I actually have more respect for those fans that don't wilt through all the bad years and those that root for a program that never really had a lot of winning on the field but continue to be fans without getting all bent out of shape and constantly complaining. How one responds to losing or winning is much more important than the actual win or loss itself. That's obviously true of the athletes but it is also true of fans. 

Those who are alums have a little different take than those who aren't. We all want more wins, that's why we play the game, but there's more to it than just wins.

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2017, 12:23:44 pm
Those who are alums have a little different take than those who aren't. We all want more wins, that's why we play the game, but there's more to it than just wins.

Nah, give me wins.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 12:36:13 pm
Nah, give me wins.

So you've been disappointed all of your life, unless you were alive in 1964.

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2017, 12:40:23 pm
So you've been disappointed all of your life, unless you were alive in 1964.

No reason to settle.  And, I wasn't disappointed with 22-5.

EastexHawg

Did I miss something?  Was Arkansas formerly known as Thug U?  Were our alums and fans ashamed of the university and its athletic programs before 2007?

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 12:46:58 pm
No reason to settle.  And, I wasn't disappointed with 22-5.

But there were 5 losses, only wins matter, so you statement wasn't correct.