Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Iron Bowl will probably decide our coach

Started by tomarkansawyer, November 15, 2017, 10:21:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tomarkansawyer

If Auburn loses the Iron Bowl, the Aubbies will go right back to their hate of Gus and want him gone and he will be happy to slide over to Arkansas. But if they upset Bama and handle Georgia again, there is no way he can leave a team in the playoffs and no way Arkansas will wait till after the playoffs to name a coach.

Funny how history can repeat itself. Houston Nutt topples #1 LSU and gets pushed over to Ole Miss. Will a similar scenario happen for the Gus Bus? Beat #1 Georgia late in the season and get pushed out to a rival school in the SEC West.

If true, let's hope the repeat stops there and if Gus is our new coach, doesn't go 0fer in the SEC his last two years.

Interesting days ahead in the next few weeks.

Drop the Mike

Well that means for one day of my life I'll be saying roll tide

The real Hogules

And for me, I'll be saying "War Damn Eagle" for the first time.............................., EVER!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

NuttinItUp

What if he beats Bama, then loses to Georgia in the SECCG?

They would still be out of the playoffs in that scenario as well.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 15, 2017, 10:24:18 am
And for me, I'll be saying "War Damn Eagle" for the first time.............................., EVER!
THIS RIGHT HERE
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

cosmodrum

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 15, 2017, 10:24:18 am

Honestly.
Go away, batin'

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 15, 2017, 10:25:20 am

If he does this... Hell, even I'd be on board if he beats two #1 teams then leaves to come home lol.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 15, 2017, 10:25:20 am

Yeah, I don't think AU is making the playoffs, so I expect GM's seat to get hot again very soon.  Not sure if hot enough to make him leave, though.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Yamahog

I would prefer a coach with NO baggage, but whatever works.

Gonzo

I'm hoping the next coach is a fresh start with no ties to any recent tenure at the UA, brings too much room for divisiveness from the start otherwise.

Go Hogs!

tomarkansawyer

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 15, 2017, 10:26:44 am

If he does this... Hell, even I'd be on board if he beats two #1 teams then leaves to come home lol.

Timing is everything, will Arkansas wait till after the SEC championship to name a coach? I'm not sure. That's why I think if Auburn loses the Iron Bowl, it may be a lock for Gus to come home. If not, it may push the timetable to far. Like I said, it's going to get very interesting over the next couple of weeks. Let the speculation begin!

tomarkansawyer

Quote from: Gonzo on November 15, 2017, 10:27:55 am
I'm hoping the next coach is a fresh start with no ties to any recent tenure at the UA, brings too much room for divisiveness from the start otherwise.

Go Hogs!

Mike Irwin just said on KARK that the big money people want Gus. He's got to be their first target, especially for Mr. Irwin to mention on air as just a matter of fact.

Gonzo

Quote from: tomarkansawyer on November 15, 2017, 10:34:17 am
Mike Irwin just said on KARK that the big money people want Gus. He's got to be their first target, especially for Mr. Irwin to mention on air as just a matter of fact.

Certainly could be, I just don't think it's the best move. But of course they haven't asked me, and certainly won't ;)

Go Hogs!

lakecityhog

IF you guys are right and Gus would be on the hot seat with a loss to Bama with a 9-3 record why on earth would ANYONE want to coach at Auburn?

Auburn Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2013–present)
2013   Auburn   12–2   7–1   
2014   Auburn   8–5   4–4   
2015   Auburn   7–6   2–6         
2016   Auburn   8–5   5–3   
2017   Auburn   8–2   6–1   (Western)         
Auburn:   43–20   24-15

With a likely 9-3 record this year, a major bowl game and a GREAT outlook for 2018 most places would kill for that kind of record.   Think about this, his 3 "down" years were 8-5, 7-6, 8-5 and now a 9 or 10 win season.

I know that I wouldn't want to try to survive under that kind of pressure.

rljjr

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tomarkansawyer on November 15, 2017, 10:31:43 am
Timing is everything, will Arkansas wait till after the SEC championship to name a coach? I'm not sure. That's why I think if Auburn loses the Iron Bowl, it may be a lock for Gus to come home. If not, it may push the timetable to far. Like I said, it's going to get very interesting over the next couple of weeks. Let the speculation begin!

Well if it is pushed back a week, we would probably be waiting on Norvell too as he will likely be in the AAC CG.

The thing with Gus is if they beat Bama and UGa, they will be in the playoff.  So we could wait a week only to see Gus' AU season extended another month.  I doubt he would pull a Bill Frieder and leave AU before the playoff. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

kinghog

where did the "Gus to Arkansas" narrative begin?  Was this something created on a message board or is there something in the media that he could leave Auburn or be forced out?

JonesboroHogFan

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 15, 2017, 10:44:43 am
IF you guys are right and Gus would be on the hot seat with a loss to Bama with a 9-3 record why on earth would ANYONE want to coach at Auburn?

Auburn Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2013–present)
2013   Auburn   12–2   7–1   
2014   Auburn   8–5   4–4   
2015   Auburn   7–6   2–6         
2016   Auburn   8–5   5–3   
2017   Auburn   8–2   6–1   (Western)         
Auburn:   43–20   24-15

With a likely 9-3 record this year, a major bowl game and a GREAT outlook for 2018 most places would kill for that kind of record.   Think about this, his 3 "down" years were 8-5, 7-6, 8-5 and now a 9 or 10 win season.

I know that I wouldn't want to try to survive under that kind of pressure.

If Gus wouldn't have played Clemson last year and this year then he would more than likely have two more wins.  Playing Clemson both years is like playing Alabama twice each year.  He more than likely would have been 9-4 in 16' and currently 9-1.

buldozer

I have never been a huge fan of Gus but I'm ready for him to be our coach after the last two debacles. At least he is from Arkansas! We might even get Gerry Bohanan to be our QB....

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ReservoirHog

Quote from: kinghog on November 15, 2017, 10:51:00 am
where did the "Gus to Arkansas" narrative begin?  Was this something created on a message board or is there something in the media that he could leave Auburn or be forced out?

Jim Lindsey and John Tyson among others are pretty outspoken Gus supporters. So the chatter is likely coming from folks connected to the heavy hitting donors.

jmark

i hoping they let gus go as far as he can with this aubie team. 

i would hope the ptb would not force gus to leave a championship team in order to take ours.
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Hogwild

Quote from: rljjr on November 15, 2017, 10:48:21 am
Only if he brings his DC with him.

Doubtful, I think Steele will be in the state of Alabama for at least a few years, he is really close to qualifying for an Alabama state pension.  He paid a nice buyout to leave LSU to go back because of the pension issue a couple of years ago.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Supermark101

Gus would not do any better than CBB here. The defense mist get better. If you want someone woth Arkansax ties hire a defensive guy like Butch Davis or Charlie Strong. I would hire Butch myself.

tomarkansawyer

Quote from: ReservoirHog on November 15, 2017, 11:00:39 am
Jim Lindsey and John Tyson among others are pretty outspoken Gus supporters. So the chatter is likely coming from folks connected to the heavy hitting donors.

Also from big time media personalities like Mike Irwin. There has to be something to it or he would not mention it. I don't know Mr. Irwin personally, but I don't think he blows smoke.