Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nate Allen today

Started by bphi11ips, November 22, 2017, 08:32:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Sometimes I have to break down Nate's sentences to understand them, but he also has a way of getting right down to the bone on important stuff:

Few frowns found after Long's ouster

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/nov/22/long-s-ouster-leaves-few-sad-hogs-20171/

"To Arkansas, the Razorbacks aren't a brand, but an essential fabric unifying the entire state."

Amen, brother Nate. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Oklahawg

I agree. Normally, Nate is virtually unreadable. But, it was really well done today.

My favorite quote:
Long didn't win enough hearts.

Bielema didn't win enough games.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Iceman

hawgXi

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 22, 2017, 08:32:58 am
Sometimes I have to break down Nate's sentences to understand them, but he also has a way of getting right down to the bone on important stuff:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/nov/22/long-s-ouster-leaves-few-sad-hogs-20171/

"To Arkansas, the Razorbacks aren't a brand, but an essential fabric unifying the entire state."

Amen, brother Nate. 

well with "brand daddy" long gone, suppose we will see the return of "Ladyback" basketball?

DoctorSusscrofa

The Hogs no longer unify the state though.  Maybe they'll get back to that someday, but that ain't now.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

hogsanity

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 22, 2017, 11:26:28 am
The Hogs no longer unify the state though.  Maybe they'll get back to that someday, but that ain't now.

not until the jealousy shown by some toward NWA goes away, so it aint happenin anytime soon.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: hogsanity on November 22, 2017, 11:28:13 am
not until the jealousy shown by some toward NWA goes away, so it aint happenin anytime soon.

Jealousy and hubris are both equal causes. 
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

31to6

Losing does that.

When I was growing up (Ft Smith) everyone wore Razorback gear. And it didn't matter where you went in the state. Even people who moved into the state got caught up in the atmosphere.

We have to get back to winning.

But also that is why, even though I am not a Central Ark guy (live out of state) and while WMS makes zero sense fiscally, I think it would be good if we could somehow get that stadium up to snuff.

I am in favor of pulling out of the current WMS. It is an embarrassing dump that costs the U a ton of money every game.

But if it were modernized a bit? Sure, why not...

Some of those classic Little Rock games were off the charts. Opponents hated playing there because it was loud and the crowd was crazy, passionate, "fanatical" even.

But if a losing team rolls into WMS and gets stomped by LSU, will that really help the statewide brand? Not really.

Winning is the key.

jgphillips3

Jealousy...toward NWA?  I was thinking more the arrogance of NWA shown toward the rest of the State; something Long only made worse.  Fwiw, I live in North Little Rock and you couldn't pay me enough to leave here and move there.  No jealousy here.  I do like to visit though.

hogsanity

Quote from: 31to6 on November 22, 2017, 11:47:19 am
Losing does that.

When I was growing up (Ft Smith) everyone wore Razorback gear. And it didn't matter where you went in the state. Even people who moved into the state got caught up in the atmosphere.

But also that is why, even though I am not a Central Ark guy (live out of state) and while WMS makes zero sense fiscally, I think it would be good if we could somehow get that stadium up to snuff.

I am in favor of pulling out of the current WMS. It is an embarrassing dump that costs the U a ton of money every game.

Some of those classic Little Rock games were off the charts. Opponents hated playing there because it was loud and the crowd was crazy, passionate, "fanatical" even.

But if a losing team rolls into WMS and gets stomped by LSU, will that really help the statewide brand? Not really.

Winning is the key.

TV sports has hurt the statewide appeal as much as anyting.

When I was goring up ( Ft Smith too btw ) there was very little in the way of sports on tv, and even less college football. We go the ABC game of the week and that was about it. MLB was Sat afternoon on NBC and Monday night on ABC. Then tbs and wgn came along in the 80's and we got the Cubs and Braves 150 times a year each. Pro football was Sun afternoon and Monday night. NBA? NHL? Not much at all.

Fast forward to the last 15  years, there are about 20 games of some sort on every night. My kid is a Dallas Stars fan, and a OKC Thunder Fan, and a Hog fan, and a Braves fan. If one team is not doing well, he has someone else to go root for. He can watch "his team" just about every night in one of the sports. He does not need the Hogs to be doing well to enjoy sports.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 22, 2017, 11:50:35 am
Jealousy...toward NWA?  I was thinking more the arrogance of NWA shown toward the rest of the State; something Long only made worse.  Fwiw, I live in North Little Rock and you couldn't pay me enough to leave here and move there.  No jealousy here.  I do like to visit though.

That is funny because it is the exact opposite for me. fwiw i have lived in both places and i am from southern AR.

If by arrogance you mean that the actual University exists in Fayetteville, then yeah i guess so, otherwise i have not see much else.

DoctorSusscrofa

Even if you don't feel any jealousy it does exist. But arrogance does too. Both are pulling Arkansas fans apart.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: 31to6 on November 22, 2017, 11:47:19 am
Losing does that.

Winning is the key.

Sure it is.  That's what any of us fans want is a winning team.  But there is a rivalry between all parts of the state and WMS represents a partial balance. Winning is a key, but if we win and the Hogs do abandon LR games there still won't be a balance regionally.  Money-wise and home-field-wise playing games in Fayetteville makes the most sense.  But fandom isn't about sense.  It's about personal pride. tradition, and what makes people feel good.

hawginbigd1

From Tusk Till Dawn

NWA is a GREAT place to live, lots of new amenities but still a small town feel for the most part.  However, most of the population growth is due to the big business that takes place here.  Additionally, the influx of people are largely from out of state.  It makes water cooler talk interesting but it doesn't mean that the bigger population support the hogs.

bphi11ips

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 22, 2017, 11:54:42 am
Even if you don't feel any jealousy it does exist. But arrogance does too. Both are pulling Arkansas fans apart.

Jealous of what?  DWRRS? 

Hogsanity is 180 degrees wrong. 311 is 90% right. WMS is not a dump. It is not, however, up to current SEC standards. Nor does it need to be with a capacity of 54,000. It is fine for one game per year with improvements to infrastructure primarily related to wireless communication.

Who knew Central Arkansas generated so much deep-seated resentment in other areas of the state?  Was it all related to football games?  That doesn't make sense. I don't think people from Central Arkansas lorded over the rest of the state in anything. We dominated high school sports for decades. We were the center of state government and commerce, but we just lived there. We loved Fayetteville and everything about it. We loved going to games there. We loved the restaurants. We loved Dickson Street. We couldn't wait to go to school there.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s and haven't lived in Arkansas in twenty-five years. The area of Little Rock I grew up in along Cantrell is not what it used to be. But Little Rock is still a nice city. It needs better leadership.

My impression looking from the outside in, based almost entirely upon what I have read on Hogville for the past 11 years, as well as many trips during that period of time to Central and Northwest Arkansas, is that a certain vocal group of Northwest Arkansas residents and fans long resented games in Little Rock and Little Rock in general. The games I understand. The school was there, but 4 games were in Little Rock most years, and those were often the best games as well.

When DWRRS was renovated and expanded, as NWA's economy boomed, and as Little Rock's economy, education and infrastucture tanked, it seems as if WMS became an easy target for all the pent up frustration being released by NWA fans and residents after years of feeling like a red-headed stepchild. Almost like fans of a team storming the field and tearing down the goal posts after breaking a long losing streak to a bitter rival. At some point the victors realize they still need the goal posts.

That's how I see it anyway. As an alum and lifelong Razorbacks fan, the civil war makes me sad, like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

NotSoFastMyFriend

My only issue with Little Rock games is that you can't use the games to OV prospects to the campus. Big issue for a school already fighting uphill battles every signing period.

bphi11ips

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on November 22, 2017, 12:51:03 pm
My only issue with Little Rock games is that you can't use the games to OV prospects to the campus. Big issue for a school already fighting uphill battles every signing period.

You'd be surprised how few official visits take place during the season.  Visits, yes.  Officials? No. 

cjack

Quote from: hogsanity on November 22, 2017, 11:52:16 am
TV sports has hurt the statewide appeal as much as anyting.

When I was goring up ( Ft Smith too btw ) there was very little in the way of sports on tv, and even less college football. We go the ABC game of the week and that was about it. MLB was Sat afternoon on NBC and Monday night on ABC. Then tbs and wgn came along in the 80's and we got the Cubs and Braves 150 times a year each. Pro football was Sun afternoon and Monday night. NBA? NHL? Not much at all.

Fast forward to the last 15  years, there are about 20 games of some sort on every night. My kid is a Dallas Stars fan, and a OKC Thunder Fan, and a Hog fan, and a Braves fan. If one team is not doing well, he has someone else to go root for. He can watch "his team" just about every night in one of the sports. He does not need the Hogs to be doing well to enjoy sports.

We've got something we agree on 100%.  There's something to be thankful for.  Happy Thanksgiving Hog fan.   WPS
Woooo Pig Soooie!

hobhog

Who would that be?

Hogwaller

Quote from: 311Hog on November 22, 2017, 11:54:36 am
That is funny because it is the exact opposite for me. fwiw i have lived in both places and i am from southern AR.

If by arrogance you mean that the actual University exists in Fayetteville, then yeah i guess so, otherwise i have not see much else.

I think by arrogance, he means you don't realize that despite the fact that "the actual university exists in Fayetteville," a great deal of the money and support comes from elsewhere in the state. I think he means that you don't understand what side your bread is buttered on with just a touch of uppity. Just my interpretation.

IronHog

Quote from: Hogwaller on November 22, 2017, 01:15:14 pm
I think by arrogance, he means you don't realize that despite the fact that "the actual university exists in Fayetteville," a great deal of the money and support comes from elsewhere in the state. I think he means that you don't understand what side your bread is buttered on with just a touch of uppity. Just my interpretation.

NWA just needs to recognize the University is in the most horrible location possible by design

The other 73 counties need to ask for their billions back
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

311Hog

Quote from: Hogwaller on November 22, 2017, 01:15:14 pm

If that is, then he would be wrong.  Maybe 30 years ago sure but NWA is pretty well self sufficient.

I mean i find it pretty hilarious that someone would say another is arrogant because they don't "know what side the bread the butter is on" that is about as arrogant and self entitled a statement as there can be.  It is like "respect your elders son" when you both are the same age. 

It is a threat you do not threaten something you supposedly love and support.

311Hog

Quote from: IronHog on November 22, 2017, 01:20:11 pm

NWA just needs to recognize the University is in the most horrible location possible by design

pssst that is why there are satellite campus's

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Might have impressed me had he wrote that 2 years ago.

Arkansas "sports media" never have the stones to say anything until after the point that it might matter.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

hogsanity

IIRC when the university was founded, it could have been anywhere in the state, LR and FS both turned down the chance to have it.

jvanhorn

Certainly not as much, by a long shot, as in the  "old" days.  In a lot of towns when the Razorbacks played everyone  just shut down basically.  Very little traffic, very little shopping, everyone listening to the radio or tv.  Nowdays business at Wal Mart, etc. doesn't even slow down.  I think it is unrealistic to think those days will come back  any more than black and white tv.  The Razorbacks are still very important to Arkansas, but people lots of other options for entertainment and other teams.  You could erase Arkansas Razorbacks and put in St. Louis Cardinals and it would be the very same post, lol.  It is just a different world and modern technology has made it much different.

dandd TD

I live about as far in south Arkansas as you can get. I
Either drive 2 1/2 or 5 hours. It's really not that big of a difference either way. If I'm wanting to watch my beloved Hogs play ball. I think there are those in positions at the university that should make that decision and be done. Either we are moving all to Fayetteville or we will always keep one in LR. Make that decision and move on. As far as places, I can't see a comparison between LR and Fayetteville. In Fayetteville I ride with my .40 in the car. In LR it is in my lap!!
Like others have posted, if they stay in LR, then the leadership of LR needs to step up and make it nicer.

Potosihog

I grew up in Arkansas but have lived out of state for almost 20 years.  Arkansas has always been a state where you see a lot of Razorback pride (flags, license plates, clothing, etc).  When CBP was in his peak there was a noticeable difference.  When I would come home to visit it seemed like every vehicle, every person had razorback gear.  Not so much over the past few years.

Win again and the state will unite.  Another 5 years like the last, with continuing debate over the stadium and playing instate teams?  The brand may not survive.  At least not with any of the fervor of the past.

SooieGeneris

Back when the University was being planned, Little Rock and the rest of the state had a chance to get it in their locale.They chose not to.

The logical place for it would have been Little Rock or Conway. They didn't want it. Read the history of this state.

NWA had ZERO clout back then and were treated as residents of another state nearly. And I am not from NWA, I grew up in the eastern part of the state.

It would be a lot easier to recruit football players and other athletes had LR wanted the UA.

Now that many want to undo things or have "at least 3 games" in LR, it is too late, that ship has sailed.

Their ancestors should have seized the opportunity when they had the chance. Too late.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Oklahawg

It is neither an excuse nor a fault that UA is located in Fayetteville. It is a fact. Struggling to see why embracing that is a problem. If the argument reverts to NWA vs CentArk that is on us as fans.

If WMS wants games then get creative - bond out significant renovations, lure a bowl game (tie it to the Sun Belt, maybe, or AAC). Give it a way to be financially viable without having to leach on to UA or AState or anyone else.

That way UA is disconnected from the health of WMS.

The Louisiana-Monroe series was brilliant. Good enough to be "worthy" without the emotional baggage of playing instate competition. Close enough to travel some fans to help fill up the stadium.

Cannot hurt the UA in SEC play by giving 7500 tickets (required by the conference) to opposing fans in the smallest stadium in the conference AND move the stadium 3 hours closer to every opposing fan.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 22, 2017, 03:53:30 pm
Back when the University was being planned, Little Rock and the rest of the state had a chance to get it in their locale.They chose not to.

The logical place for it would have been Little Rock or Conway. They didn't want it. Read the history of this state.

NWA had ZERO clout back then and were treated as residents of another state nearly. And I am not from NWA, I grew up in the eastern part of the state.

It would be a lot easier to recruit football players and other athletes had LR wanted the UA.

Now that many want to undo things or have "at least 3 games" in LR, it is too late, that ship has sailed.

Their ancestors should have seized the opportunity when they had the chance. Too late.

Beat me to it!

I don't think Nebraska fans are bothered by NU being in Lincoln, or Florida fans that FU and FSU are not in Orlando. I do get that most states have a centrally located flagship campus but that ship sailed 150 years ago.

IronHog

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 22, 2017, 03:53:30 pm

Just stop

The school was put in NWA as punishment for the civil war....

Has done a great job because UA is just a drain on Arkansas overall
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

CareBear

Amen, brother Nate.
I ran into Nate Allen at IGA last Summer. I introduced myself & told him that I was a friend of a former Arkansas Gazette sports writer's son. Paul Borden was the writer whose son is was buddies with from 8th grade to 10th when they moved back to Mississippi. This was 1989-1992ish. I got into all the basketball home games for free & weezed free pizza & cokes in the media room. We would shoot hoops after every game as the writers were composing their stories along press row. Goodtimes! Back to Nate Allen... Nice & genuine guy. Old school Sports  journalist. I have always enjoyed his stuff. Dudley Dawson has been a favorite of mine as well although I think Bert's hustle even got to him. I'm glad Clay Henry has seemingly come to grips with the sh*t show that we were all sold. He, unlike Bo, stuck up for Arkansas after Dari Nowkah talked some ridiculous sh*t about Arkansas fans & this program. Bo aligns himself with some arrogant fools to say the least 😄

Großer Kriegschwein

Nate nailed it.

But some of you asshats were able to get the GSD in here.

Good job.
This is my non-signature signature.

DeltaBoy

Nate is like the Blind Squirrel he found a golden acorn today!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 22, 2017, 08:17:51 pm
Nate is like the Blind Squirrel he found a golden acorn today!

About like someone borderline illiterate writing a coherent sentence, haiku.
This is my non-signature signature.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 22, 2017, 03:58:27 pm
It is neither an excuse nor a fault that UA is located in Fayetteville. It is a fact. Struggling to see why embracing that is a problem. If the argument reverts to NWA vs CentArk that is on us as fans.

If WMS wants games then get creative - bond out significant renovations, lure a bowl game (tie it to the Sun Belt, maybe, or AAC). Give it a way to be financially viable without having to leach on to UA or AState or anyone else.

That way UA is disconnected from the health of WMS.

The Louisiana-Monroe series was brilliant. Good enough to be "worthy" without the emotional baggage of playing instate competition. Close enough to travel some fans to help fill up the stadium.

Cannot hurt the UA in SEC play by giving 7500 tickets (required by the conference) to opposing fans in the smallest stadium in the conference AND move the stadium 3 hours closer to every opposing fan.

Do I need to remind you of the Razorbacks' record vs. SEC opponents in Little Rock? 

Little Rock is crucial to the health of the UofA, not the other way around. This is what I have been telling posters here for years. You are from Oklahoma and do not understand the issues even though you earned degrees in Fayetteville.

We are where we are today because people who do understand the issues are no longer going to stand idly by while statewide support for the UofA erodes.

Ironhawg

Move it to Little Rock and be done with it. 

j-mann

if i ran for Governor  of this state   i would do 1 basic thing  freeze a-st money have them move to 1-aa  if they do not move to 1-aa  shut down the univ     

yes the num 1 is winning 
but num 2 is  forcing the brand  in NE Arkansas because  in 25 years Jonesboro will have about 120k    we need to make the people that support that other school  realize  we are not gonna sit back  and let them go  try to make us feel guilty for loving Arkansas     
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

j-mann

the jonesboro mayor  hates a-st  is pro hog  we need to strike while the iron is hot   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

MuskogeeHogFan

Amen, brother Nate. 

I think you have to have both. An AD that connects with the people and the fan base and a HC who finds a way to win more than we have. It seems simple, it isn't.
Go Hogs Go!

rwspear

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 22, 2017, 12:46:44 pm
Jealous of what?  DWRRS? 

Hogsanity is 180 degrees wrong. 311 is 90% right. WMS is not a dump. It is not, however, up to current SEC standards. Nor does it need to be with a capacity of 54,000. It is fine for one game per year with improvements to infrastructure primarily related to wireless communication.

Who knew Central Arkansas generated so much deep-seated resentment in other areas of the state?  Was it all related to football games?  That doesn't make sense. I don't think people from Central Arkansas lorded over the rest of the state in anything. We dominated high school sports for decades. We were the center of state government and commerce, but we just lived there. We loved Fayetteville and everything about it. We loved going to games there. We loved the restaurants. We loved Dickson Street. We couldn't wait to go to school there.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s and haven't lived in Arkansas in twenty-five years. The area of Little Rock I grew up in along Cantrell is not what it used to be. But Little Rock is still a nice city. It needs better leadership.

My impression looking from the outside in, based almost entirely upon what I have read on Hogville for the past 11 years, as well as many trips during that period of time to Central and Northwest Arkansas, is that a certain vocal group of Northwest Arkansas residents and fans long resented games in Little Rock and Little Rock in general. The games I understand. The school was there, but 4 games were in Little Rock most years, and those were often the best games as well.

When DWRRS was renovated and expanded, as NWA's economy boomed, and as Little Rock's economy, education and infrastucture tanked, it seems as if WMS became an easy target for all the pent up frustration being released by NWA fans and residents after years of feeling like a red-headed stepchild. Almost like fans of a team storming the field and tearing down the goal posts after breaking a long losing streak to a bitter rival. At some point the victors realize they still need the goal posts.

That's how I see it anyway. As an alum and lifelong Razorbacks fan, the civil war makes me sad, like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

LR fans act like NWA is out to get them. moving games back to the CAMPUS isnt a slight to LR; its a solution to a problem. lots of hog fans live in Tennessee, should we play a game in Memphis too?

Hawg414

Quote from: rwspear on November 23, 2017, 12:01:01 am
LR fans act like NWA is out to get them. moving games back to the CAMPUS isnt a slight to LR; its a solution to a problem. lots of hog fans live in Tennessee, should we play a game in Memphis too?

depends.  did UA rely on Memphis for 50 years to get going?

Inhogswetrust

Amen, brother Nate. 

That is the BEST quote I've ever read on the subject!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: j-mann on November 22, 2017, 09:55:57 pm
the jonesboro mayor  hates a-st  is pro hog  we need to strike while the iron is hot   

I know the mayor there. While I don't think he hates them I think he hasn't catered as much to them as other mayors/politicians in college towns normally do.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

I grew up in central Arkansas and you dang near couldn't pay me enough to live in NLR and I live in the Memphis area! To each his own I guess.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 22, 2017, 11:59:45 am
Sure it is.  That's what any of us fans want is a winning team.  But there is a rivalry between all parts of the state and WMS represents a partial balance. Winning is a key, but if we win and the Hogs do abandon LR games there still won't be a balance regionally.  Money-wise and home-field-wise playing games in Fayetteville makes the most sense.  But fandom isn't about sense.  It's about personal pride. tradition, and what makes people feel good.

Rivalries exists somewhat between "regions" of most states that have different economies, geography, cultures within their respective state. I live outside Memphis and their is a distinct "rivalry" three ways in Tennessee. West Tennessee is generally the odd man out. Central and Eastern Tennessee are more similar but still are "rivals". Very few states other than mono-economic and small sized one's are like that.

Inhogswetrust

A LOT of  "dominant" schools are not the most centrally located in other states. If LR, Hot Springs, or any other city wanted the UA they should have done more to get it when they had the same chance as Fayetteville did. Your post reads more like sour grapes. IF there weren't other schools AND UA campuses all over the state I'd cut you some slack. But there are schools all over the state. They get money as well relative to their size and other measures. One can go to college anywhere in the state and get a degree.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 22, 2017, 05:30:51 pm
Just stop

The school was put in NWA as punishment for the civil war....

Has done a great job because UA is just a drain on Arkansas overall

That punishment sentence is one dumb one. But considering the source it should be expected.