Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

are you in favor of eliminating the SEC championship game?

Started by JJHog, November 01, 2006, 10:36:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

Hawgon

I think we need to go to more than one of them a decade before we are entitlted to have an opinion.

JDHogg

Quote from: Hawgon on November 01, 2006, 10:37:57 am
I think we need to go to more than one of them a decade before we are entitlted to have an opinion.

I think every conference should have one.
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

dewayne

no, it gives more games and that can help get teams into the NC

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: JDHogg on November 01, 2006, 10:38:50 am

I agree, if we have one then every other conference should have one.  Why is this fair that we have to play another game at the end of the season, while Big East teams don't?  Doesn't make sense
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

bill_bakerDW

With SEC being the toughest conference, it would be too close to call when crowning the SEC champ without it.  On the other hand, b/c SEC is so tough, its just one more game that puts an undefeated season at risk, thus giving said team less of a chance to make it to the NC.  Double-edged sword for a crappy BCS system.

Carolinas Hog

I'll take this a step further.  If your conference doesn't have a championship game, your team is not eligible to play in the BCS.  This would solve the "at'large" debate over who gets in.  Of course, the NCAA would have to make an exception for ND.
If the Hogville is a representative sample of Hog fans, then I am several deviations from the mean.

I hate that Hogville is the only Razorback message board not blocked by my employer.

razorpimp

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 01, 2006, 10:43:15 am

I agree, if we have one then every other conference should have one.  Why is this fair that we have to play another game at the end of the season, while Big East teams don't?  Doesn't make sense

Or Pac-10 or Big 10(err 11)

SemperHawg

only thing I would change about with the SECCG is, it should be in different locations every year instead of always in Hotlanta.

Go Hogs Go...Beat Da Cocks!!!

bigdaddyhawg

I was actually thinking this very thing last week.  I'm not sure it really accomplishes anything, except to bring down one of our teams.  Still, it makes no difference if it kills every single conference team in terms of a nat. champ., the money will always make the decision, and the SEC champ. game makes the conference money.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HogFaninGA

Quote from: Carolinas Hog on November 01, 2006, 10:45:05 am

I'll take this a step further.  If your conference doesn't have a championship game, your team is not eligible to play in the BCS.  This would solve the "at'large" debate over who gets in.  Of course, the NCAA would have to make an exception for ND.

I agree 100%.

razorpimp

Quote from: SemperHawg on November 01, 2006, 10:47:21 am
only thing I would change about with the SECCG is, it should be in different locations every year instead of always in Hotlanta.

I agree, too much of an advantage to the Eastern schools.  Should alternate between New Orleans, Birmingham, Atlanta, and maybe Jacksonville?

1stwordswerewoopig

Quote from: SemperHawg on November 01, 2006, 10:47:21 am

Go Hogs Go...Beat Da Cocks!!!
Agree and good point.

demonHOG1013

I agree

MR.SOOIEESIDE

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 01, 2006, 10:43:15 am

IMO no.  All the other teams went through the regular season and won the CG and so should we.  There hasn't been any upsets in the CG IMO.  All the teams that were suppose to win have won.  One could argue the UT/LSU match-up but LSU had a ton of talent and had finally gotten a coach (Saban).
"Nothing is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientous stupidity." - MLK

Trashed Hog

i think every conference should have a championship game and then we need to make changes to the BCS system accordingly so there won't be the same arguments every year about a team being cheated.  WPS

Arkstfan

Just because the SEC found 12 schools that want to hang out together doesn't mean there are 12 that the Pac-10, Big 10, or Big East want to hang out with.

As to mandating a title game for BCS auto qualification, there are six leagues with full votes, three don't have 12 football members. Some how I don't see a 3-3 vote carrying the day.

More importantly no one other than a few media nerds actually believes the BCS is designed to crown a national champion. It is designed to maximize bowl revenue. One thing that has been consistent over the years is that the Big 10 and Pac-10 have shown that they don't like being pushed into anything. They refused to join the old CFA TV agreement and they were hold-outs on the old Bowl Alliance that existed before the BCS.

They wouldn't think twice about about walking away from the BCS if someone tried to make them go to 12 and take three of the top 8 rated programs in the BCS with them along with the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 19th, 23rd, 25th and 26th largest TV markets.

blake

IMO all conferences should play one, right know its not a even playing field.

Arkstfan

Quote from: blake on November 01, 2006, 11:01:35 am

Not supposed to be. It's supposed to wringe the most possible dollars out of the bowls and television.

HawgAlumn

NO.. reduce NON conference games by ONE. All regular season games must finish at least 2 weeks before the SEC championship to allow the 2 divisional winners 1 off week before teh championship.  
Since MOST schools schedule cup cakes out of conference this shouldn't hurt and might actually HELP SOS.
OH and move the championship game between SEC member states !!!!! So that the championship is always in a State that is NOT playing for the championship, so if Georgia  and Auburn are in the game, then those 2 states could not 'host' the game because it gives one team home field advantage.

Then on to the Bowl Championship series, which is an 8 or 16 team playoff system.

Nashville Fan

[Arnold Schwarzenegger voice] Only girlly-man conferences don't have a championship game.
Pittman or Bust!

sooie dog

Quote from: Carolinas Hog on November 01, 2006, 10:45:05 am

ND should have to play in the Big 10 or be excluded from the BCS. 

raiseherback

No way.  then we leave it up to the same people that think the Conference isn't as tough as we actually are.
I am easily satisfied with the very best! 
- Winston Churchill

sportscrazy

If they did eliminate it then add one more conference game to the each team's schedule.  But I am not in favor of it.  Actually I think every major BCS conference should have a championship game to get an automatic bid to the BCS.  It really seems to be the only fair way to do it under the current system.  Just my opinion.

hogsNbeer

Agree....All BCS conferences should have a championship game.....  Also, I think the BCS made a change after Oklahoma didnt' win their conference championship and went to the national title game......I think now that won't happen....... I think the conference championship winner gets an extra bump in points(calculation) in BCS standings...........   Teams playing for the championship will have to be conference winners....and that's how it should be......... You shouldnt' be playing the in the national title game if you can't win your conference.....Common sense........ Again, I think the BCS has been tweaked for this...

Nap

Quote from: HawgAlumn on November 01, 2006, 11:03:38 am
NO.. reduce NON conference games by ONE. All regular season games must finish at least 2 weeks before the SEC championship to allow the 2 divisional winners 1 off week before teh championship.  
Since MOST schools schedule cup cakes out of conference this shouldn't hurt and might actually HELP SOS.
OH and move the championship game between SEC member states !!!!! So that the championship is always in a State that is NOT playing for the championship, so if Georgia  and Auburn are in the game, then those 2 states could not 'host' the game because it gives one team home field advantage.

Not sure that would work, because by elminating a non-conference game, the majority of SEC schools would only finish with 11 games.  Only the two teams in the championship would have 12 games.
I still can't believe that Fuzzy's is gone...

enwhog

No.  Look at the Big 10.  I believe Wisconsin avoids either Oh St or Mich or both this season.  We don't have Fl on our sched but the SEC Ch game makes it impossible for us to avoid them to win the SEC Ch.  Its necessary unless we at least go to a 9 game conf sched which is not a real possibility.

hogblade

Forget eliminating games. The NCAA needs to mandate that every BCS conference has a championship game.

Big 10 can add Notre Dame, because they are already at 11 teams. Just call them the Big 10+2 or something.

Big 10 North could be:
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Northwestern

Big 10 South
Ohio St
Notre Dame
Penn St.
Purdue
Indiana
Iowa

Pac-10 could add Fresno St. and Boise St. or just stay the same.

Pac-10 North
Washington
Washington St
Boise St
Oregon
Oregon St.
California

Pac-10 South
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Arizona
Arizona St.
Fresno St.

Big East can add a couple Conf. USA teams who would fit right in the with competition level to make it 10 teams,split up. Boom or just add Army and Navy.

If Big East takes two teams from Conference USA, they can just add like TCU and Troy or something.

If only the NCAA could work this out. right...

Hawgvillain

Some conferences having a championship game and some not is ridiculous.    I think it's stupid that we already know one of the two teams (OSU or Michigan) in the BCS championship game because their schedules from here on out are so weak that no one can fathom them losing to anyone except each other.  And we've even known it for a few weeks now.  In the middle of October, you should not be able to tell who is going to be in the BCS championship game.  A conference championship game eliminates that possibility.  So either the SEC should quit doing it, or all the conferences should have to do it (which is what I'm in favor of).

lawdog

Quote from: Arkstfan on November 01, 2006, 11:02:14 am
Quote from: blake on November 01, 2006, 11:01:35 am

Not supposed to be. It's supposed to wringe the most possible dollars out of the bowls and television.

Bingo!
South Carolina: The Palmetto State
Home of the Fighting Gamecocks!

HoopS

I would like to see all conferences have one.   They add a lot of excitement.  They are a big $$$ maker.  And this year, ours may very well keep Florida or us or Auburn out of the national championship game.    Going into last weekend, the odds on favorites for the title game were the OSU/Mich winner and Souther Cal.  West Virginia was hanging right outside of that group just waiting to pounce on it's chance.  Ironically, Auburn (who may not even win it's own conference) was positioned quite well.  So we could have had:

1.  The Big Ten Champ (without a championship game) vs
2.  USC (without a championship game) but now
3.  West Virginia (weak conference and no championship game) or possibly
4.  Auburn (2nd place in the SEC West) or
5.  The winner of the SEC Championship game (us vs Florida, the loser is out of the BCS) or
6.  Texas (if they run the table and win the Big 12 Championship game) or as always
7.  Notre Dame  (no conference affiliation, thus no conference championship game) and potentially
8.  Cal (if it runs the table, no conference championship game) or
9.  Louisville (if they win out, no conference championship game) or heaven forbid, and it could happen
10. The loser of the OSU/Michigan game.

So yes, I love the Championship game, but do you see the benefit as far as making the title game goes?  I just see it as a risk.  But I still like it.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

If a conference doesnt have its teams play ever other team in the conference then there should be a championship game. Right now there is no reason for the Big East to have a Champ Game. They only have 8 teams. And Notre Dame should be forced to join the Big 11 so they have to play a real schedule every year. That would make the Big 10 have to play the champ game.

Jim Harris

I'm in favor of not only eliminating the championship game, but going back to six conference games a year like the old SEC days.  (sorta joking here, but those were the days ....)
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

skinnypig

I THINK EVERY CONFERENCE SHOULD HAVE ONE OR NONE OF THEM SHOULD

cityhog

No.  Make the other BCS conferences employ a Championship game though.  And I say screw the NCAA.  The Major university AD's and Presidents should get together, and form the 4 superconferences, have a playoff, and have a real NC.

RBLtoHOG

Quote from: Tomcat on November 01, 2006, 12:02:04 pm
Pick the bowls before conference championships...

On the other hand, the only way we make a BCS bowl this year is to win the SECCG...

If you do that, you run the risk of having someone who didnt even with their CCG playin for the National Title.
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

HoopS

Can you say OU 7 KSU 35, OU advances for National Title?

Carolinas Hog

Quote from: Arkstfan on November 01, 2006, 11:00:53 am
Just because the SEC found 12 schools that want to hang out together doesn't mean there are 12 that the Pac-10, Big 10, or Big East want to hang out with.

As to mandating a title game for BCS auto qualification, there are six leagues with full votes, three don't have 12 football members. Some how I don't see a 3-3 vote carrying the day.

More importantly no one other than a few media nerds actually believes the BCS is designed to crown a national champion. It is designed to maximize bowl revenue. One thing that has been consistent over the years is that the Big 10 and Pac-10 have shown that they don't like being pushed into anything. They refused to join the old CFA TV agreement and they were hold-outs on the old Bowl Alliance that existed before the BCS.

They wouldn't think twice about about walking away from the BCS if someone tried to make them go to 12 and take three of the top 8 rated programs in the BCS with them along with the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 19th, 23rd, 25th and 26th largest TV markets.

Good thoughts...you do realize this is a hypothetical question right.  Or maybe you're woman...stereotypically speaking, women do not do well with hypothetical situations.
If the Hogville is a representative sample of Hog fans, then I am several deviations from the mean.

I hate that Hogville is the only Razorback message board not blocked by my employer.

DeltaBoy

YES  because we always get screwed in Atlanta. Keep it only if the SECCG moved to a differant site annually.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogDodging

Keep the SECCG, but play it on a natural grass field. 

Arkstfan

Quote from: cityhog on November 01, 2006, 11:59:12 am
No.  Make the other BCS conferences employ a Championship game though.  And I say screw the NCAA.  The Major university AD's and Presidents should get together, and form the 4 superconferences, have a playoff, and have a real NC.

You do understand that the "Major university" AD's and presidents hold the majority on the NCAA Management Council and Board of Directors and those presidents are the ones who said "Hell no" to authorizing a single game playoff after the bowls and have repeatedly said they are opposed to a playoff don't you?

Arkstfan

Quote from: Carolinas Hog on November 01, 2006, 12:30:39 pm
Good thoughts...you do realize this is a hypothetical question right.  Or maybe you're woman...stereotypically speaking, women do not do well with hypothetical situations.

Actually it would be a woman who would pose a hypothetical ignoring facts. Sort of like thinking that buying $500 shoes for $300 is making money.

Proud member of the War Memorial Mafia

SpiceIslandHog

Absolutely not. The NCAA needs to come out and demand that all BCS confrences should install a confrence championship game, or at least set up the BCS so that teams in light weight, limp wristed, panty waste confrences are penalized for wanting to "work the system" instead of wanting to beat the best.

LZH

I love the SECCG.  Great drama if one of the teams has no chance of a BCS bowl other than winning the SECCG.  That scenario could very well happen this year.  And yeah, every BCS bowl should only 'invite' teams from leagues that have a championship game.