Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can nutt beat spurrier??

Started by JackJohnson, October 29, 2006, 11:12:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scarolinahog

Spurrier can no doubt out coach Nutt but our O-line will blow SC's front 4 off the ball and when that happens Dmac and Jones will have a field day. The only concern I have is stopping SC's QB. SC's secondary is in for a long day.
I POST IN CAPS CAUSE I LOVE THE JOKES!

hawaiianhogster

Even though Spurrier has Nutts number I hope our new offense and OC can make the difference and smoke them for dinner. I don't see it happening but I would like nothing more than to see us beat them by three touchdowns and dominate them more than we did Auburn.

AltaHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 29, 2006, 03:25:14 pm

As for Spurrier/HDN, If you believe HDn is still calling the plays, then the question is valid, but if Gus is calling them then the ? should be can Gus beat Spurrier?

......with one hand tied behind his back?

That is the question.

Stateline Hawg

I think this years hawgs are light years ahead of last years.
I think this years SC's team is better but not that much.

Hawgs > cocks

dana caldwell

to answer the question of this thread: not in a hugger's wettest of dreams.

but malzahn and the talent that surrounds him may keep him from mucking that up.

Hogphilia

Quote from: dotnet on October 29, 2006, 12:11:11 pm
Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on October 29, 2006, 12:07:53 pm
Oh, and if we lose this game, it is because we are outcoached. That is plain and simple. We have better athletes.

If that is the case then USC, Michigan, OSU, Texas, Florida, Miami, FSU, etc... are out coached about 2-3 times a year. 

Not when they face teams where they are as superior in talent as we are when compared with S. Carolina.

FAT HOG

We are going to come out and early and punch them right in the mouth, and we are going to do it running the ball.  The pass will be there, but as icing on the cake.

Hogs -38   USC -14

Sounds just about right.

BleedRazrBackRed

Quote from: GAMECOCKBOY on October 29, 2006, 12:17:03 pm
Quote from: gopigsgo on October 29, 2006, 12:13:42 pm
I am no college coach, but, Tenn rushed 4 men 5 on occasion made newton the pocket and kept him in it, gave him his 50-70 yards rushing and covered well. Tenn should have won by much more they just let them score using up the clock. The crowd knew with 8 minutes  left  what was gonna happen , they were filing out of Williams Brice just like they will next Sat. Oh yea not only do they have Fla. after us Clemson next. They finish with 4 top 15 teams, we have 2 for sure.

i  bet u were cocky like this last year and the other year and u went home saying u should of beaten the gamecocks but u didnt...

Gamecock, don't even start you pathetic moron, jesus. You are calling us cocky? ROFL, take a look in the mirror. The only thing that saved you last year was NUTT HAD THE REIGNS TO GO FOR IT on 4th down on what was it, our 30 yard line? Oh and the year before that? An inadvertent whistle that saved you. Get a clue.

jkstock04

If our defense has success we will win, I'm not worried about our offense.  I believe we will be able to move the ball on them with our hard nosed running game, and we'll keep them honest with our screens and passes to the flat.  But I'm afraid our pass defense will have a hard time stopping them.  I'm hoping for the d-line to really step up and cause some havac with their pass rush.  Should be a good game, and I bet it'll be decided in the final seconds of the game.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bulldawg88

Razor_back

We will run on them...I'm under the impression that our o line should be able to push em around and create some holes for our backs...and no one has been able to stop our screen passes to jones and hillis, and the defense will be nervous...waitinf for MCFADEN to throw tds on them...

about the o line...i'm right about that...right?
Go Hogs

fortcityhog

the only factor i think arkansas cannot handle is sidney rice... man to man, zone coverage, double team, im just not sure we've seen our secondary elimante a real WR from a game..... and in response to a post by gamecockboy... i hope your rb is physical and likes contact, because our defense has proven to eliminate exceptional rb's (k irons and lester)... and like you said, all questions will be answered for us saturday.

Bill CHILL

Quote from: GAMECOCKBOY on October 29, 2006, 11:21:56 am
Quote from: bigred7987 on October 29, 2006, 11:14:30 am
dunno if Nutt can but Mustain can beat Syvelle Newton and McFadden and Jones can beat, whoever their RB is

could but will mustain he is still a true freshmen and he hasn't been exposed yet and i think we r the right team to do it...he is a throwing qb he isnt a dual threat like newton...rbs u got us but our rb cory boyd is no joke he is physical rb from jersey that will run over u...he loves contact he is a physical running back...

You like the cock. 'Nuff said.
You're born an original, so why die a copy?

hog caller

October 29, 2006, 10:00:22 pm #63 Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 10:02:26 pm by hog caller
you guys haven't seen rbacks with the speed og Dmac or Felix in a while and you have never rushed against gus"s blocking assignments. and your bull for a rb has ner tried to rumn over the LR crushing crew. they aren;t the purple gang but they are close.
and we have some an eating line backers who think they are 800 lb gorillas.

so we welcome the oppertunity to compete with yall. now if we win you promise not to be angry.

GO HOGS! oh' can Nutt beat Spurrier. Hail yes

jamie72921

Quote from: hog caller on October 29, 2006, 10:00:22 pm
you guys haven't seen rbacks with the speed og Dmac or Felix in a while and you have never rushed against gus"s blocking assignments. and your bull for a rb has ner tried to rumn over the LR crushing crew. they aren;t the purple gang but they are close.
and we have some an eating line backers who think they are 800 lb gorillas.

so we welcome the oppertunity to compete with yall. now if we win you promise not to be angry.

GO HOGS!

Sorry those are still Markuson's blocking assignments, zone blocking.
Bless your heart

bulldawg88

HOGPICKER

Seems to me the matchup is Reggie vs Spurrier.  If we don't get a lot of pressure from the front 4, we are going to see out d backs chasing their wides.  We don't get five picks against SC.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."  Joe Theismann

JIHawg

No, Nutt can't beat Spurrier.  But Malzahn can. 

VoR

Quote from: hogsanity on October 29, 2006, 03:25:14 pm
Quote from: JackJohnson on October 29, 2006, 11:12:26 am
i am really nervous about this game.

4) As we saw last night, lack of work on the passing game, even against weaker opponents, has caused our passing game to be exposed as not good, to say the least

Has anyone stopped to carefully consider that our passing game may just not be good, PERIOD.  And that they have not thrown it a ton in the cupcake games because they know it just isnt very good.  Look at the last 4 games.  Aub, under100 yards passing, but very effective.  Semo, decent numbers, but Mitch was off, badly.  Ole Misses, again decent numbers, but most of Mitch's throws were short to Hillis, or screens to Felix and Dmac.  Then last night, Mitch again had uner 100 yards. 

There are 2 ways to look at it:

1.  They see it in practice and know it just isnt very good so they dont use it or

2.  They know what they can do, and will use it if they have too, but until then they are keeping it to themselves. 

As for Spurrier/HDN, If you believe HDn is still calling the plays, then the question is valid, but if Gus is calling them then the ? should be can Gus beat Spurrier?

I think option 2, I don't think we will see much of a passing game until we have to, and I don't think we'll need it against USC-E, we'll know for sure Sat. night though.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

Flatline

I believe it is Herring versus Spurrier.  The offense should do well due to SC's rush defense is horrible.  The key will be containing their QB and great play from the DB's.

Joe Davis (USS Razorback)

Nutt may have a few pounds on spurrier but Spurrier has reach.  A thick noggin counters the reach issue so I say Nutt takes him this weekend.

Scorecard reads:
Nutt 24
Spurrier 17
in four rounds.

HatfieldHog

Nutt has more talent on the field than Spurrier does this year.  But this game will come down to the old College Football intangibles. 

SC needs this game, to help salvage a tough season.
SC is at home.
SC is coming off a loss, and should be up for this game.

All of these put several points in SC's favor.

I look at this game as a toss up.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

hog71762

am really nervous about this game.
1) they play UF after us, what is the odds they lose 3 in a row
--JackJohnson

I'd say the odds is purty good since the Cocks is not that good

Adrenaline_Junkie

Quote from: novack2 on October 29, 2006, 11:48:11 am
The Razorbacks can and will beat the Cocks, but HDN will never beat Spurrier.

how does make any sort of sense.............a team can beat another team but the HC will not beat the opposing head coach

I also saw another guy swaying that HDN has nothing to with this game.................yea a HC of a team will have nothing to do with a win/loss

hogpowr

Arkansas has never beaten a spurrior coached team. 

We WILL on saturday, it won't be close.  Hogs 31  birdpeni 10.

Go Hogs Go!
Welcome Coach Bielema!

Coacht

What a game to watch! No - SS too creative for HDN, however...... He will meet his match with Gus. The Ole' Ball Coach vs. the New Ball Coach...Got a luv it!
Statements of the year - "I think play calling sometimes is overrated." and "I will never hire an offensive Coordinator"

HDN Top 25 finishes....
2006 = 15th / 16th        2001 = nope
2005 = nope                 2000 = nope
2004 = nope                 1999 = 17th
2003 = nope                 1998 = 16th
2002 = 25th

Blyboy205

I'm not worried about anything except our DB's.
HAWGS ALL THE WAYYYYY!!!!!!

lechon

Quote from: dana caldwell on October 29, 2006, 06:41:51 pm
to answer the question of this thread: not in a hugger's wettest of dreams.

but malzahn and the talent that surrounds him may keep him from mucking that up.

;) ;)
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

ClubChubby

We should have beaten sc two years in a row. But nutt found a way to lose those games, even though we had much better talent. He had to really work hard to lose at fayetteville last year, but coach nutt got the job done, no matter the obstacles. Like doubling sc's yardage.

If nutt doesn't make the trip, we win by 30.

Snoot

Should have last year. I don't see Spurrier being the sole reason if the Hogs were to lose this game.

Hogs won't lose this one though. SC doesn't have the horses on defense to stop our running game.

Hawgz4Life

Having Spurrier DOES NOT insure an instant victory in games...everyone said, "Oh, well, the Tenn/SC game is going to be the good one to watch." I watched it and saw inexperienced players and a quarterback who is hit/miss at best. I remember a team who had a QB like that and it eventually blew up in our faces. To put all the team on the shoulders of ONE player is a dangerous thing. Newton will not be able to play like superman from gun to gun. But in order for the Hogs to win Sat night, all they have to do is stay focused and not overlook the chickens. I don't think they will. If anything, they've been quietly eyeballing this stretch of the schedule since the afternoon of October the 7th.

longtimeHogfan

October 30, 2006, 07:01:46 am #82 Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 07:03:56 am by longtimeHogfan
Quote from: GAMECOCKBOY on October 29, 2006, 12:17:03 pm
"You were cocky like this last year and the other year and u went home saying u should of beaten the gamecocks but u didnt." 

The differences are too numerous to mention.  But the main one is:  Gus won't go for it on 4th and 1, in the 1st quarter, on his own 30, or wherever we were.  The resulting TD was the winning margin. 

We're not taking SC lightly...we know Stevie 'Superior' will have his group ready.  Our team has matured, HDN isn't calling the plays and we're coming with a ground attack the likes of which you may not see again all year.  Looks like a long day for the cocks to me.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Michaelt

Quote from: GAMECOCKBOY on October 29, 2006, 11:53:03 am
we have nothing to lose...the hogs will come in favored and ranked...like spurrier said on his tv show today ... we can play loose now since we aren't in the sec east championship running anymore...ya'll have muz, but he is now where  near the level of spurrier....muz has to earn his, him having one good year doesn't make him at the same level as spurrier...
I got two words for ya.................

Spell Checker
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Michaelt

The offensive line will definitely be up for this game. Open holes against the SC defense, and let the horses run loose.

Arkansas         31
South Carolina  14

One more down, three to go.

razor1

Quote from: JackJohnson on October 29, 2006, 11:12:26 am
i am really nervous about this game.

1) they play UF after us, what is the odds they lose 3 in a row

2) what are the odds they lose another night game on primetime, as the stadium will be rocking

3) As we saw on Thursday night, when a run dominated team gets their run stopped, and you have no passing game, what can you do to move the ball

4) As we saw last night, lack of work on the passing game, even against weaker opponents, has caused our passing game to be exposed as not good, to say the least

5) This isn't Tubberville, who Nutt isn't afraid of.  This is the Ole Ball Coach.  Something about having him against Nutt on the sidelines screams mismatch.  He knows our weaknesses on both sides of the ball, and will exploit them.

6)  Will we be looking ahead to Tenn, a possible match up of top 10 teams, and a chance to host gameday

7)  Each time we have lost our first conference game of the year, we immediately lose our next under nutt.  This is not a one time thing, this is 8 straight years.  We play UT after USC.
does anyone know where gameday is this week?

Michaelt

Quote from: razor1 on October 30, 2006, 07:34:52 am
does anyone know where gameday is this week?

The Razorbacks are in Columbia this week. Who cares where Gameday is going to be. :)

kitshicker

SC scares me. They are going to be zeroing in on Dmac and FJ. I'm afraid if we don't have a good passing game, they will be able to key-in on our running game.
That said, I have faith in "Thunder and Lightning", and they will still be able to get it done. Also have faith in Gus. I think he'll pull another trick play or two out of his arsenal.

Nashville Fan

Coach                  SC+
Pass O v Pass D     SC+
Run O v Run D       AR+
Special Teams       AR+

I think the difference is going to be in the red zone. If AR can keep SC from scoring outside the red zone AR will win. SC bogs down in the red. If SC gets the big plays, it will be a long day.
Pittman or Bust!

COCKSman

hey yall. my names dominic and im from Columbia.  thanks for allowing me to post for the week.  hope i can add something to this board for the week. Come to our forum, Cockytalk.com, and post your thoughts as well....
with that said:
i think this is going to be a great game.  Darren scares me.  i hope our LBs step up like i know they can.  Jasper Brinkley is a monster who would take a train head on.  Darren is a physical running back as well and likes to run people over, so that will be fun to watch.  About the wofford game.  we practiced against that run for one day. I def think we under estimated it.
who ever spurrier is a "has been" b.c he lost to a very good tenn team...you are either very naive or you are in willful denail... Our team is extremely young and made a lot of mistakes. The OBC isnt going anywhere,,,sorry my friends...
and as for the fans who left early... i dont know what you saw on tv...but in person.. lots of people were there even untill after the game. ive been to every game for the past 7 years or so...and i dont know if i have heard that stadium that loud, except when we beat florida last year. 
so, sorry for such a long post..but after reading all yall had to say, i had a lot on my mind. 
GO COCKS!!!

Tigerhog14s

Clothes make the man, Naked people have no influence on society. -Mark Twain