Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How would you feel if GM took another coaching job at the end of this year?

Started by Coacht, October 23, 2006, 03:11:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog_fan

Gus is making i think $125,000 so a new school wouldn't have to pay him $500,000.

Hogalicous

Quote from: Razorback_Z71 on October 23, 2006, 06:29:05 pm
What a shocker it would be if Nutt left and took GM with him.

LOL. I just spit pop all over my monitor. That would be the ultimate insult woudlnt it. The coaching staff leave and all the talent transfer to whatever school they go to.

hog_fan

I can't believe people think this is possible. Nutt never wanted Gus as OC. Do some people really think he wanted him as OC? Position coach yes but not OC.

Hogalicous

Quote from: hog_fan on October 23, 2006, 06:29:46 pm
Gus is making i think $125,000 so a new school wouldn't have to pay him $500,000.

I don't see him leaving for anything less than a HC positon somewhere, and I don't know of any HC positions that pay less than 1/2 M

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: russellclaude on October 23, 2006, 03:19:35 pm
Wouldn't be surprised if Malzahn's already getting offers...
Unnngh!  Dangit Russ, you ruined my evening with that post.

Hogalicous

Quote from: hog_fan on October 23, 2006, 06:31:19 pm

I can't believe people think this is possible. Nutt never wanted Gus as OC. Do some people really think he wanted him as OC? Position coach yes but not OC.

That's some bull, bogus thinking right there. IF Nutt hadn't wanted him as OC, he woudn't have been - period. HDN's ego is WAY too big to allow JFB to force something like that on him. You know the ONLY place that this is even being circulated is on the internet.  Get a [CENSORED] life.

PulledPork

Quote from: Hogalicous on October 23, 2006, 06:35:20 pm

That's some bullcrap, bogus thinking right there. IF Nutt hadn't wanted him as OC, he woudn't have been - period. HDN's ego is WAY too big to allow JFB to force something like that on him. You know the ONLY place that this is even being circulated is on the internet.  Get a ****ing life.
you sir are the ultimate homer, if you believe that!

Pulled out...

Hogalicous

Quote from: PulledPork on October 23, 2006, 06:36:46 pm

That's some bullcrap, bogus thinking right there. IF Nutt hadn't wanted him as OC, he woudn't have been - period. HDN's ego is WAY too big to allow JFB to force something like that on him. You know the ONLY place that this is even being circulated is on the internet.  Get a ****ing life.

Pulled out...

No sir, I'm not a homer. Not a fan of Nutt's at all. I just know that with his big huge head he would have took his money and went home rather than be forced to hire an OC he didnt want. Like I said I'm no homer, but I do think that Nutt was at least smart enough to look around after last season and see that the lanscape of college football has passed him by, and the day when the HC could still call his own offensive plays was long gone. Sure I believe that Broyles was pressuring him to hire an OC, but I am convinced that if he really hadnt wanted to he would have said Frank you frank and that woudl have been that. I'm not even that sure that he would have lost his job over it; I'm about 1/2 convninced that he has nudie pics of lindsey and broyles in bed together with a monkey.

gopigsgo

First off Gus is making much more than 125large, second I believe if Houston was to leave and Gus stayed that you would see a very similar Offense next year as we have now, he is very smart and will take the most advantage of the tools he has.All the numbers will continue to creep upwards(stats) and answering the topic is that I would get physically sick to my stomach like I do when we lose a game we should have won.There are times in life when you stumble into greatness and this is one for all hog fans. I hope he does all his moving up in position and finances and in happiness personally right here with the pigs.

Hogalicous

Quote from: PorkOpine on October 23, 2006, 06:53:07 pm
Quote from: Hogalicous on October 23, 2006, 06:41:54 pm
Quote from: PulledPork on October 23, 2006, 06:36:46 pm

Pulled out...

No sir, I'm not a homer. Not a fan of Nutt's at all. I just know that with his big huge head he would have took his money and went home rather than be forced to hire an OC he didnt want. Like I said I'm no homer, but I do think that Nutt was at least smart enough to look around after last season and see that the lanscape of college football has passed him by, and the day when the HC could still call his own offensive plays was long gone. Sure I believe that Broyles was pressuring him to hire an OC, but I am convinced that if he really hadnt wanted to he would have said **** you frank and that woudl have been that. I'm not even that sure that he would have lost his job over it; I'm about 1/2 convninced that he has nudie pics of lindsey and broyles in bed together with a monkey.

BS.  Nutt's ego ain't too big for him to realize after back-to-back losing seasons he better keep his trap shut.  Who would hire him following that and spouting off to the man (Broyles) that supported him through the tough times?

Secondly, there's a big, fat bonus check awaiting if he hangs around through next season.

You might not be a homer, but you lack some reasoning skills.

The fact is that HDN gets that bonus next year whether he coaches or not, it's called a guaranteed contract.

LHogman2000

I wouldn't want to see him leave but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  If it was a step up, then more power to him and I would feel good for him and his family.  He would have deserved it. I will still buy season tickets, whether he's our OC or not.

Golfer

Quote from: hog_fan on October 23, 2006, 06:15:26 pm
Quote from: Hogalicous on October 23, 2006, 05:46:37 pm
Quote from: SteelShot on October 23, 2006, 04:49:02 pm
I don't think it is a reality that he'll be offered a head job from a D-1 school this year, maybe a program like Harding or another smaller program. The high school thing still scares schools off, even though it didnt phase us one bit.

I think that having your assistants leave and take head jobs other places is a sign that you are hiring the right assistants and they and the team are doing a good job.  If they weren't doing a good job, no one would want them.

Amen, why would you people be pissed if Gus left for another school? (which he wont by the way, no one is going to offer hm a job after one season at UA, get a grip on reality) When your assitant coaches start getting hired by bigger programs or get hired as HC's that is a sign that your program is on the rise. When you can bring in assistants that are hot commodities. Look at how many of Carroll's assistants have moved on the become HC on their own, same thing with Oklahoma when they were good, same thing with Texa$$ now. Even if Gus left, that doesnt mean all the sudden we can't run the plays that the teams spent over a year learning. IF he did for whatever reason leave, Alex would step in as OC, we would hire a new qb coach, and we would run the same damn offense as we are running this season. Some of you people are CLUELESS.

You are the one that is clueless. More then one person has said they are hearing Alex hasn't even unpacked. I  feel he plans on going back to the NFL. He could stay but I don't see it.If Gus goes and Nutt stays he becomes OC again and back to the offense like last year. If Nutt were to hire another OC it would be someone in name only. The man will never hire a true OC(Gus is close as it gets and he doesn't have complete control) He loves play calling to much as he had said. I think Gus is more respected then you give him credit for. Let's hope he gets the raise he deserves as he has a crappy salary to begin with compared to Herring. He has proven he can recruit.

"If Gus goes and Nutt stays he becomes OC again and back to the offense like last year. If Nutt were to hire another OC it would be someone in name only. " 

ANd you know this to be true????? NOT... Now who is the clueless one?

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Golfer on October 23, 2006, 07:26:42 pm
Quote from: hog_fan on October 23, 2006, 06:15:26 pm
Quote from: Hogalicous on October 23, 2006, 05:46:37 pm
Quote from: SteelShot on October 23, 2006, 04:49:02 pm
I don't think it is a reality that he'll be offered a head job from a D-1 school this year, maybe a program like Harding or another smaller program. The high school thing still scares schools off, even though it didnt phase us one bit.

I think that having your assistants leave and take head jobs other places is a sign that you are hiring the right assistants and they and the team are doing a good job.  If they weren't doing a good job, no one would want them.

Amen, why would you people be pissed if Gus left for another school? (which he wont by the way, no one is going to offer hm a job after one season at UA, get a grip on reality) When your assitant coaches start getting hired by bigger programs or get hired as HC's that is a sign that your program is on the rise. When you can bring in assistants that are hot commodities. Look at how many of Carroll's assistants have moved on the become HC on their own, same thing with Oklahoma when they were good, same thing with Texa$$ now. Even if Gus left, that doesnt mean all the sudden we can't run the plays that the teams spent over a year learning. IF he did for whatever reason leave, Alex would step in as OC, we would hire a new qb coach, and we would run the same damn offense as we are running this season. Some of you people are CLUELESS.

You are the one that is clueless. More then one person has said they are hearing Alex hasn't even unpacked. I  feel he plans on going back to the NFL. He could stay but I don't see it.If Gus goes and Nutt stays he becomes OC again and back to the offense like last year. If Nutt were to hire another OC it would be someone in name only. The man will never hire a true OC(Gus is close as it gets and he doesn't have complete control) He loves play calling to much as he had said. I think Gus is more respected then you give him credit for. Let's hope he gets the raise he deserves as he has a crappy salary to begin with compared to Herring. He has proven he can recruit.

"If Gus goes and Nutt stays he becomes OC again and back to the offense like last year. If Nutt were to hire another OC it would be someone in name only. " 

ANd you know this to be true????? NOT... Now who is the clueless one?
Whether he *KNOWS* anything or not, it certainly looks like he has a clue.  He was the HC/OC for 8 years.  Do you doubt he would like to be again?

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

bythelake

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: bythelake on October 23, 2006, 07:53:18 pm
No way does Gus leave, winning is too much fun.
He wouldn't leave for complete control of the O, a HC job at a D-1 school, or alot more $$?  He must not be as smart as I think he is.  How disappointing.

SultanofSwine

hogfan47

Let Nutt stay another year give Gus a big raise then make gus head coach after next year
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

gwddog

Quote from: Nap on October 23, 2006, 03:23:04 pm
Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 23, 2006, 03:15:31 pm
GM is getting great press. I've read articles with him being mentioned in the same sentence with Spurrier and Meyer.

Really?  Let's all take a deep breath and come back to planet Earth.  GM may make a good head coach someday, but anyone seriously comparing him to the likes of Meyer and Spurrier is drinking spiked Kool-Aid.
I'm drinking spiked Kool-Aid.
back 2 back 2 back

werehog

Surprised. How do y'all spell breech of contract. Norm Chow spent years building his reputation culminating in an undisputed National Championship at BYU. Then made a huge error jumping to NC State before being rescued by Pete Carroll. Norm Chow still hasn't gotten a top notch HC offer and this is after being the OC and two national championship schools and developing three Heisman Trophywinning QBs. Carson Palmer had all the tools, but was a train wreck before Norm Chow stepped in. Trust me, Gus is not Norm Chow.

Hawgrox

Oliverhogman

I think I would castrate myself with a dull pair of scissors.  :(

One way or the other, Nutts have to go.   ;D

mykidsdad

I would be upset. It would not be supprised either. I think that if things stay as they are things will change dramatically at the end of the season. Either Nutt is gone, or he is gone alone with Mitch, and a couple of receivers.

Flatfoot

Gus has talent and don't think a hungry school like maybe a NC State, North Carolina, Duke, Baylor, or others wouldn't roll the dice with Gus.  The man has a fresh mind about football.  Somewhere out in the world of college football, don't think that some of the AD's are not looking at the success of Gus.  Some people I know whatever they touch turns to gold.  I think Gus is one of these people.  If the Hogs win the conference I would bet that Gus would get offers soon after, may not take them but the offers will be there. 
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

fortcityhog

in one word "dissapointed".... no... two words "VERY dissapointed" 

rlamb

That would be like the Hog heirarchy not being willing to pay enough to land Bear Bryant after he got back from WW11.

That would be like Frank really not willing to pay enough money to get the
"Bootleggers Boy" back from Oklahoma in the 70's.

That would be like Frank turning down and lying to Jimmy "Jump Up" twice.

That would be like not trying to hire one Joe Gibbs to the Head Job when
he was available.

That would be totally unacceptable to let Malzahn go & keep this fraud Nutt!

Flatline

Brer Hog

The depths of dispair.... Gus is THE difference this year!

Its great that we have the Springdale 5, but Gus has all of our offense playing with a confidence and level of execution, a can do/will do attitude the likes of which I have never seen from an Arkansas offense.  This team believes because Gus has made them aware of their tools. 

WPS!!! These are good times for the Hogs.  Keep Gus around and I think winning becomes a habit, and recruiting becomes automatic.

Arkansas Razorback Head Coach Gus Malzahn has a very nice ring to it. 

Brer Hog

hawaiianhogster

I'm sure he'll get offers. If he leaves it's over for us unless somebody brings in a very good OC. I will Wish Gus the best and will follow his team to see how he coaches them.
I hope he stays and honors his commitment at the least. I would love to see him coach us to another BCS Bowl and most of all SECCG next year. I know the toughest part of our season starts after this Saturday but I feel he and the rest of the coaches will continue to come up with the winning game plans. No more sitting on the lead B.S.

stronguard

Like I did in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005.  Helpless against all teams with head coaches whose IQ is above 70.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Biggus Piggus

Most of these programs looking for new coaches will try to hire an alumnus.  North Carolina is an exception, as they have no tradition.
[CENSORED]!

longtimeHogfan

Sick.  But....

Broyles retires after reaching the 50 year milestone (coaching and AD).
Terry Don Phillips assumes his rightful seat in the Broyles Center as AD.
HDN accepts one of many offers he'll receive after making Coach of The Year (thanks to GM).
Butch Davis is hired to be HC and........
Butch is smart enough to keep GM as his OC.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

ClubChubby

Don't know about head coach, maybe tulsa? Kragthorpe has that program in good shape. Would his players go with him? I think so.
As far as oc goes though, he'll be highly sought. I think if there's an sec oc position open, he'll be offered. If cut leave the vols, I think gus is high on the list.

GorillaJMonsoon

I might let go of the rope, I tell you what.  We were so close to keeping him, so close. 

Coacht

Glad to see GM has such a great fan base and has such good support. Us Arkansans know he is destined for greatness, just hope he does it here. You have to say, even though the offense hasn't shown its full potential, everytime we get the ball there is this excitement, (that wasn't there the last few years), that something great could happen at any moment. The one thing you have to admit, Arkansas football is finally UNPREDICTABLE!
Statements of the year - "I think play calling sometimes is overrated." and "I will never hire an offensive Coordinator"

HDN Top 25 finishes....
2006 = 15th / 16th        2001 = nope
2005 = nope                 2000 = nope
2004 = nope                 1999 = 17th
2003 = nope                 1998 = 16th
2002 = 25th

PAHOGFAN

Like my wife left with my best friend, took the kids, house, all hte money and left me a cardboard box to live in.

excoach

Quote from: KEYS on October 24, 2006, 10:20:03 am
Quote from: longtimeHogfan on October 24, 2006, 08:24:09 am
Broyles retires after reaching the 50 year milestone (coaching and AD).
Terry Don Phillips assumes his rightful seat in the Broyles Center as AD.
HDN accepts one of many offers he’ll receive after making Coach of The Year (thanks to GM).
Butch Davis is hired to be HC and……..
Butch is smart enough to keep GM as his OC.   

:razorback:  8)  :razorback:

I would love to see this play out like you posted. I would hate to loose Gus, he's the reason were where we are today. If he leaves we return to being a average team.