Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Johnson Just Said!

Started by BigoBoys, October 22, 2006, 07:02:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

THAWG

There is no national championship in college football - never has been, and there won't be in the forseeable future.  I can remember a time whe TV announcers used to recognize this - Chris Shenkel and others properly referred to the "mythical" national championship.  Championships are decided in tournaments.  Every other NCAA sport that crowns a national champion has one.  Every other level of football - high school, S-1AA, D-2, D-3, NAIA, NFL, AFL, AFL2, whatever league the Rhinos are in - every other level of football has a tournament to pick a champion.  Every other sport has one.  There is no national championship in college football.

chirohog

Quote from: hogfan98 on October 22, 2006, 07:38:09 pm
Quote from: wooo on October 22, 2006, 07:28:10 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_NCAA_University_Division_football_season

:o

don't validate your argument by citing wikipedia.  i could go change it right now to say that arkansas state won the '64 championship by winning a hotdog eating contest if i wanted to.

No doubt!  I love when buddies of mine start citing wikipedia as an authority on ANYTHING.  If widipedia is an authority on anything it is misinformation.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BPPig

Oh this 1964 poop again. We were the only undefeated team that year. We were not voted the national champion except by the sports writers and a lot of polls I have never heard of before. The whole state was in a huge uproar. Bear Bryant was not a popular man in the state that year. The AP and UPI polls were by far the two everyone followed back then and the football writers was consider a smaller poll. The uproar did cause the AP and UPI to change their systems and include the bowl games which ironically enough could have cost AR the 1965 national championship since the hogs lost the bowl game that year.

So the truthis . AR was the only undefeated team but there were multiple national champions in 1964 and AR was one of them. No matter what the argument is the fact is that while we proud of our team the controversy eroded away much of what should have been unbridled joy over the season. The state got the "they done it to us again" attitude. My family moved to MS after the season and from all the grief I took I promise you that no one in the SEC thought AR was the NC and made sure I knew their opinion on the subject and I was a HS kid. It ended up not being a positive event overall at that time, especially compared to the 1994 championship.

SO, to review. AR was the only undefeated team. There were two major polls and we were awarded the NC by one but not the other two. Only in AR did anyone feel like AR was the national champion. The state got hosed and felt that way. Made for a strange 1965. That was the way it was.

If anyone would really care we were the real 1965 champs. We won our bowl game played in 1965 and all our regular season games. We weren't the 1965 national champs because of a game played in 1966 that we lost. We could use conjecture for ages. I know it ended up being a very difficult time in my life. After the move to MS the only positive thing that happened was my street fighting got much better due to the constant reps I was getting. The whole subject is almost painful.

There is no cut and dried answer despite all ponificating about how it was ridiculas and that AR was obviously the NC. It was not that easy. The 1963 AR had been poor and we played a weak schedule compared to the other teams. I argued vehemently against that last statement but it was the truth. We hadn't been hammered week after week like the others had. I am absolutely poistive that I enjoyed 1994 so much more it would be put into words. It's time to move on. I have.

HoggerNocker

Quote from: BigoBoys on October 22, 2006, 09:27:07 pm
Quote from: RazorHawg on October 22, 2006, 09:25:08 pm
Quote from: BigoBoys on October 22, 2006, 07:02:58 pm
While discussing the latest BCS polls he commented that West Virginia might get in or "could a 1 loss team from the SEC like Auburn or Florida get in".  Why didn't he say "my Hogs are in the mix again and should they win out have to be considered"  Why doesn't he support the team that got him his start?
You have taken Johnson's comments out of context.  They were talking about a Sec team that could jump USC with one loss.  Obviously Arkansas could never jump USC even if it loses a game.
Is that you Jimmy?  I heard what I heard.  My problem with him is that he wore the HELMENT and sung the fight song.  All of the national media is in love with Auburn and Florida.  My team in undefeated in the SEC.  Go Hogs!
I agree with you on the point that the national media is in love with Auburn and Florida.  There is no reason to be mad at Jimmy for what he said, he was correct.  There is no way the Hogs will jump USC if USC loses a game.  Auburn or Florida could jump USC if USC loses a game.  I wish that he would have acknowledged the Hogs, but he didn't.

Quote from: drakehog on October 22, 2006, 07:23:38 pm
Quote from: wooo on October 22, 2006, 07:14:36 pm
Arkansas never has won a NC in football. Alabama won it that year--and lost in the bowl game. BUT Alabama is the NC for that year. That bowl loss did change the way they determine NC's from that point on, the team is not named until after the bowl game.

The Football Writers Assocation of America says differently, and the name on the Grantland Rice Trophy for 1964 national champion says Arkansas.

Yup.  And the rings the players wear from that NC year look pretty real to me.
Proud member of the War Memorial Mafia

Hog Fan 51

Maybe Jimmy Jo Does not beleive in the coaching staff, I can't blame him there
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

Quote from: sowsmilk on October 23, 2006, 08:39:06 am
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on October 23, 2006, 07:03:22 am
Quote from: ThunderHog on October 22, 2006, 08:25:46 pm
http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html
As Tim Brando has stated on his radio show, there has never been a true champion in Div 1A football because there is no tournament trail.

And Tim Brando is exactly correct.  The whole "national championship" in college football is a myth, and no school has really ever won it.  It's existence is subjective and based largely upon opinion.

A tournament solves it, and I believe it should start with 32 teams.

32 teams? - that's six more weeks of football

The thought of that makes me born-again hard.

October 23, 2006, 09:45:58 am #58 Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 09:48:10 am by 1964
Quote from: Hog Fan 51 on October 23, 2006, 09:40:54 am
Maybe Jimmy Jo Does not beleive in the coaching staff, I can't blame him there

Jimmy's a jerk, always has been.  He makes no bones about it either. 

He cares about two things:  Football and winning.  Regardless of his personality, he's got the hardware to prove he's good at both.

Nashville Fan

He did not mention TN either. I don't think he slighted them. He mentioned the two highest ranked sec teams. The two teams that have been in the top 25 the entire year.
Pittman or Bust!

wooo

Quote from: BPPig on October 23, 2006, 09:14:18 am
Oh this 1964 poop again. We were the only undefeated team that year. We were not voted the national champion except by the sports writers and a lot of polls I have never heard of before. The whole state was in a huge uproar. Bear Bryant was not a popular man in the state that year. The AP and UPI polls were by far the two everyone followed back then and the football writers was consider a smaller poll. The uproar did cause the AP and UPI to change their systems and include the bowl games which ironically enough could have cost AR the 1965 national championship since the hogs lost the bowl game that year.

So the truthis . AR was the only undefeated team but there were multiple national champions in 1964 and AR was one of them. No matter what the argument is the fact is that while we proud of our team the controversy eroded away much of what should have been unbridled joy over the season. The state got the "they done it to us again" attitude. My family moved to MS after the season and from all the grief I took I promise you that no one in the SEC thought AR was the NC and made sure I knew their opinion on the subject and I was a HS kid. It ended up not being a positive event overall at that time, especially compared to the 1994 championship.

SO, to review. AR was the only undefeated team. There were two major polls and we were awarded the NC by one but not the other two. Only in AR did anyone feel like AR was the national champion. The state got hosed and felt that way. Made for a strange 1965. That was the way it was.

If anyone would really care we were the real 1965 champs. We won our bowl game played in 1965 and all our regular season games. We weren't the 1965 national champs because of a game played in 1966 that we lost. We could use conjecture for ages. I know it ended up being a very difficult time in my life. After the move to MS the only positive thing that happened was my street fighting got much better due to the constant reps I was getting. The whole subject is almost painful.

There is no cut and dried answer despite all ponificating about how it was ridiculas and that AR was obviously the NC. It was not that easy. The 1963 AR had been poor and we played a weak schedule compared to the other teams. I argued vehemently against that last statement but it was the truth. We hadn't been hammered week after week like the others had. I am absolutely poistive that I enjoyed 1994 so much more it would be put into words. It's time to move on. I have.

thank you BPPig! Finally someone that can actually read history and understand what he read.

Amazing

wooo

It appears that none of you guys that have quoted that I am an idiot for siting wikipedia have read the article; I will cut and paste it for you. It is written nicely and can be understood by most that will attempt to read.

After reading, go back to my original statement and re-read it before calling me an ass hole again

thanks
In 1964, seven entities named college football champions, due to the fact that there is no NCAA playoff for Division 1-A football. At the time, the two most notable polls, the Associated Press and United Press International, named national champions after the completion of the college football regular season, but before teams competed in Bowl games. Due to this, both the Associated Press and United Press International named the University of Alabama as National Champions. However, the Crimson Tide lost to the University of Texas at Austin in the Orange Bowl, to finish the season with a 10-1 record.

The University of Arkansas completed a 10-0 regular season in 1964. Additionally, Arkansas defeated the University of Nebraska 10-7 in the Cotton Bowl, to go through both the regular season and the bowl game as the only undefeated team in Division I football (11-0). Two less notable groups than the Associated Press and United Press International waited until after the bowls were complete to name their own National Champions. By virtue of Alabama's bowl loss to Texas and Arkansas's win over Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl, the Football Writers Association of America and the Helms Athletic Foundation both named the University of Arkansas Razorbacks as 1964 National Champions. Notre Dame and Michigan were also named National Champions by even lesser known entities.

As a direct result of the 1964 season, the Associated Press changed its practice of naming National Champions after the regular season beginning with the 1965 college football season. United Press International changed their practice of doing so in 1974.

Both the University of Arkansas and the University of Alabama claim National Championships for the year 1964. However, by the standards of today and by the standards adopted by the Associated Press for the 1965 season, the University of Arkansas would be recognized as National Champions. Further, the fact that Arkansas was the only undefeated team of the 1964 season has caused many to recognize the University of Arkansas as the 1964 National Champions, despite the fact that the most recognizable organizations did not award their National Championship designation to Arkansas for that year. It also interesting to note that only four teams that Arkansas beat that year had winning seasons.

Notable members of the 1964 Arkansas National Championship team include Jerry Jones, billionaire owner of the Dallas Cowboys of the NFL; Ken Hatfield, who went on to coach the University of Arkansas, Clemson University, and Rice University in football; Assistant Coach Johnny Majors, who went on to coach both the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Tennessee in football; Jimmy Johnson, who went on to coaching success at Oklahoma State University, the University of Miami, and with the Dallas Cowboys; and Jim Lindsey, a well-known real estate developer and businessman in the state of Arkansas.

demonHOG1013

While discussing the latest BCS polls he commented that West Virginia might get in or "could a 1 loss team from the SEC like Auburn or Florida get in".  Why didn't he say "my Hogs are in the mix again and should they win out have to be considered"  Why doesn't he support the team that got him his start?

He probably doesn't give any love to the Hogs because Frank promised him the Head Coaching job, then reneged on it just like he later did with Joe Kines.

arkjay19

Nobody not in Arkansas or not visiting Hogville believes Arkansas can make it to the SECCG or even have a chance of winning it.

wooo

October 23, 2006, 02:01:22 pm #64 Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 02:09:06 pm by wooo
Red razor

Please read my post

It states:

1. Arkansas did not win the national championship in 1964
2. It states that the AP and UPI changed their practices after 1964 because Arkansas should have won it in 1964 (but didn't)
the quote that you so eagerly jumped on as proof that I am wrong states:
"However, by the standards of today and by the standards adopted by the Associated Press for the 1965 season, the University of Arkansas would be recognized as National Champions. Further, the fact that Arkansas was the only undefeated team of the 1964 season has caused many to recognize the University of Arkansas as the 1964 National Champions"

this states from 1965 until today, we would have been national champions, BUT we are talking about 1964

Again if you would read all of the posts and not pick little portions out it would be greatly appreciated. I will summarize my point for you again, (remember to read it)

1. Arkansas did not win the NC in 1964, AP and UPI WERE the big two
2. The AP and UPI both changed the way they named the NC based on what happened in 1964 (your qoute from my post)
3. Arkansas should have won it, but they did not

If this is not clear enough for you then I don't know of any other way to make this more simple.

REMEMBER, the key is to read the entire post and not that I say "Arkansas did not win the NC "and start typing.

jackwalker

If alabama was the 1964 national champion then they are the only national champion I've ever heard of that LOST it's bowl game.

I have never seen a thread hijacked into so stupid a topic.

Woo gets a mythical -10000 smites from me.
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

wooo

October 23, 2006, 02:24:43 pm #66 Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 02:26:23 pm by wooo
thanks Jack-but again, it would be great if you could only read

-and this thread was hijacked as you put it because the mods decided to delete my post about it in less than 10 seconds

Hogeye_Pierce

Hey, you wanna know how many National Championships either Arkansas or Alabama actually have? Look at this site to find your answer:
http://www.ncaa.org/

Hint: We've BOTH won the same number. ;D
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

dana caldwell

you're kidding, right? read JJ's autobiography.

and no team can overcome 50-14 to make the title game, unfortunately.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on October 23, 2006, 02:38:43 pm
Hey, you wanna know how many National Championships either Arkansas or Alabama actually have? Look at this site to find your answer:

Zero I presume.

Bacon out...

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on October 23, 2006, 04:59:20 pm
Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on October 23, 2006, 02:38:43 pm

Zero I presume.

Bacon out...

Correctamundo Bacon. Until we get some sort of legitimate playoff system we will ALWAYS be dealing with this sort of argument.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

Jim Harris

Quote from: dana caldwell on October 23, 2006, 03:00:06 pm

you're kidding, right? read JJ's autobiography.

and no team can overcome 50-14 to make the title game, unfortunately.

No, but one team may overcome a 47-21 loss (that looked even more one-sided than UA's loss to SC) at home in September to make the title game, if everything fell right. It's always the good luck of the Irish.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson