Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miami vs FIU fight

Started by The Hog, October 15, 2006, 09:28:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HatfieldHog

The NCAA will show the entire nation just how "powerless" and pathetic that they actually are.  Just wait and see.

Fact is:  Both Teams should have the remainder of their seasons cancelled!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

HatfieldHog

They suspend these players "one game."  Look at this quote!

"These suspensions send a clear and definitive message that this type of behavior will not be tolerated," said Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford.

If this guy, ACC commissioner John Swofford, is not the worst example of being an idiot that I've ever seen, then he's in the top 5.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

the donger

What fine young men. And that announcer is just a class act. I better stop my comments now.

Hog in MO

The NCAA needs to pull an "SMU" on that bunch of inmates in training.  Butch Davis brought them back from the dead and now Coker has taken them back to their roots.  You can't spell "THUG" without the "U".   

LZH

Quote from: razorbackid on October 15, 2006, 07:07:21 pm
Suspend both teams for the remainder of the season.  Make both schools pay their opponents the lost revenue.  Send a messege, this behavior will not be tolerated ever. 

I like the idea.  That kinda stuff can't happen.

True Story:
In the 1984 AA state quarterfinals at Dermott, the very same thing happened.  We were trying to run out the clock with about 2:00 to go (up 21-7, I was taking a knee).  Long story short, when the fight started, both benches cleared, both stands cleared.  It was bad, very bad.  It's a thousand wonders that no one got killed that night.  The PB Commercial (Wadie Moore) estimated there was 2500 people at that game, and most of them wound up on the field (fighting).  The Chicot County Deputies, Dermott Police, and the Arkansas State Troopers jumped in and eventually stopped the riot (after about five minutes).  That's the short version.

LRCentralTiger

If you suspend both teams Madre Hill may be out of a job at FIU.  He is the running backs coach.

Side note:  I was listening to the Show with no name this AM.  The discussions about replacements have began for the Miami job.  Here is the discussion list.

Mark Richt
Butch Davis
Tommy Tuberville
and Houston Nutt

kitshicker

I thought it was a disgusting display.......I was watching it with my son, who plays HS football, and we were talking about it. The whole time I was thinking of the kind of message that it was sending to young players across the nation.

Calling All Hogs

I can't help but wonder. Would Butch Davis or any other respectable coach want the Miami job now? It's one thing to clean up a school on NCAA probation. It's another to clean up a players that should be on 5 year criminal probation.

STRILE

Miami is a classless group of future felons.  Pure and simple.  And their standards are dropping fast if FIU is worthy of consideration for "Rivalry Status".  That is so sad.  Did you hear the broadcaster.  He is a former player and was proud of the fight.  They are the OU of the 70's and 80's
"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

Nutts and Bolts

Quote from: Arkanian on October 15, 2006, 09:41:38 am
WOW...listen to the announcer about midway and to the end.

That announcer should NEVER be able to EVER call another game
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

hogfan064

Did anyone watch this game?  I turned to it as soon as the fight broke out.  Lamar Thomas was the Color commentator and he was awful.  He was saying things like "You don't bring that stuff to the OB" and "Let's settle this in the parking lot"  Thomas sounded like your typical Miami thug

ThunderHog

Neither Larry Coker or Don Strock should be fired over this, although one of them may very well be used as the sacrificial lamb for PR purposes.  Hand out some player suspensions and move on.  This sort of thing is ugly but it can happen on any given Saturday.  Remember Holtz's South Carolina team and Clemson or how about the bench clearing brawl a few years back between the Arkansas and Alabama baseball teams that ESPN replayed for two days.

jm

You are right, these things do happen sometimes. But the coach has to take some sort of action when a player uses his helmet as a club, or tries to destroy someones knee on video. Coker has already said he has no plans for discipline.
Quote from: ThunderHog on October 16, 2006, 10:27:37 am
Neither Larry Coker or Don Strock should be fired over this, although one of them may very well be used as the sacrificial lamb for PR purposes.  Hand out some player suspensions and move on.  This sort of thing is ugly but it can happen on any given Saturday.  Remember Holtz's South Carolina team and Clemson or how about the bench clearing brawl a few years back between the Arkansas and Alabama baseball teams that ESPN replayed for two days.

hogfan064

Quote from: ThunderHog on October 16, 2006, 10:27:37 am

Clemson and USC both banned themselves from bowls that year.  I think that really made a statement.  Before their game the following year all players met at midfield and shook hands.  This was between 2 very hated rivals.   Miami and FIU aren't rivals.

Anyone remember the Oregon-Oregon State game a several years back where a bench clearing brawl led to riots in the stands?

Arkstfan

Fighting 1 game suspension is appropriate punishment.

Using a weapon (helmet or other object) or attempting to hit or kick an opponent who cannot escape (stomping on a guy on the ground) ought to be three games.

strawhog

I just dont see why everyone is making a big deal out of this.  They got in a fight big deal seperate them and play football.

UAbandalum

With all due respect to Butch Davis, the Miami Hurricanes were thugs, criminals, and morons when he was the coach, too.  Like I said before, NO Miami Hurricanes coach (Erickson, Johnson, Davis, Coker, etc) has EVER had control of their prison inmate gang banger players - PERIOD.  Let's just hope Donna Shalala and the univerisity administration do something meaningful because we all know the NCAA won't . .  . . .

Hogeye_Pierce

Forget the NCAA. They need to get these guys into this and start handing out some prison sentences.

Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

strawhog

You guys have lost it "handing out prison sentences" holy crap get real

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Arkstfan on October 16, 2006, 11:33:17 am
Fighting 1 game suspension is appropriate punishment.

Using a weapon (helmet or other object) or attempting to hit or kick an opponent who cannot escape (stomping on a guy on the ground) ought to be three games.

It ought to be jail time.

Hogeye_Pierce

Listen, that was UGLY. I'm really surprised some of the "fans" didn't pour onto the field and get into that melee.

Okay, maybe the prison sentences stuff was over the top, but that was SCARY looking.

strawhog

"jailtime" more craziness
you guys are ridiculous

hydrophonic

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 16, 2006, 09:23:49 amLamar Thomas was the Color commentator and he was awful.

I sent an email to one of the sports talk radio guys here in Tulsa with the youtube link.  Here is what he sent back:
Quote from: PoplinThe announcer that says that is Lamar Thomas who played in the early 90's.  Here is
his rap sheet.

* Arrested and jailed for aggravated battery for attacking his pregnant fiancee with
a deadly weapon.

* Arrested for violating probation.

* Detained for brandishing a handgun and threatening suicide, prompting authorities
to check him in to a mental institution.

* Did jail time for again violating probation related to the battery charges, when
he was arrested for choking
his fiancee. His six-month old son was present at the scene.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

THROWITDEEP

Quote from: hydrophonic on October 16, 2006, 12:37:21 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on October 16, 2006, 09:23:49 amLamar Thomas was the Color commentator and he was awful.

I sent an email to one of the sports talk radio guys here in Tulsa with the youtube link.  Here is what he sent back:
Quote from: PoplinThe announcer that says that is Lamar Thomas who played in the early 90's.  Here is
his rap sheet.

* Arrested and jailed for aggravated battery for attacking his pregnant fiancee with
a deadly weapon.

* Arrested for violating probation.

* Detained for brandishing a handgun and threatening suicide, prompting authorities
to check him in to a mental institution.

* Did jail time for again violating probation related to the battery charges, when
he was arrested for choking
his fiancee. His six-month old son was present at the scene.

Well...there you go.  That explains it.

bill_bakerDW

ESPN just released an article saying the Miami Trustees have already met and Coker's job is "safe for now"

bill_bakerDW

Quote from: bill_bakerDW on October 16, 2006, 01:13:59 pm
ESPN just released an article saying the Miami Trustees have already met and Coker's job is "safe for now"
Sorry, forgot to put the link on as well:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2628132

bdutt

"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who usually do."

311Hog

Quote from: strawhog on October 16, 2006, 11:45:12 am
I just dont see why everyone is making a big deal out of this.  They got in a fight big deal seperate them and play football.

Anyone got a pic of Saddam Hussien from South Park saying " Its not a big deal guy? " thats what i see when i read this guy's post.

Did you even see the fight? there are parts of it where 4 to 6 players are gangland style STOMPING on another person curled up in the fetal position. Are you **** serious? the game tape should be reviewed and anyone seen fighting as in throwing punches, stomping on people, kicking, using their helmet as a weapon should be banned from NCAA athletics period.

Getting into a brawl is one thing, hell fighting is one thing worthy of  a game or 3 suspension but what i saw in this instance was something that bordered on attempted manslaughter.

cbjagman

The fight, what ever the cause and whoever started it, was a total disgrace to both teams. Yes, football is a physical and violent game, however, there is not excuse for such behavior, particularly of the magnitude that we saw the other night. What I find really sad is Coker from Miami talking about what good, no, "great", kids he has and how they've really cleaned up their act from a few years ago. Okay, coach I would ask you this one question: if this was the action of "great" kids what could we have expected if you still had your past criminals? Instead of kicking folks or using helmets as weapons I suppose they could have broken out their AK47s or Uzis and started blasting away. Thank goodness your great" kids were under total control the other night.

strawhog

Quote from: 311Hog on October 16, 2006, 01:21:42 pm

Anyone got a pic of Saddam Hussien from South Park saying " Its not a big deal guy? " thats what i see when i read this guy's post.

Did you even see the fight? there are parts of it where 4 to 6 players are gangland style STOMPING on another person curled up in the fetal position. Are you **** serious? the game tape should be reviewed and anyone seen fighting as in throwing punches, stomping on people, kicking, using their helmet as a weapon should be banned from NCAA athletics period.

Getting into a brawl is one thing, hell fighting is one thing worthy of  a game or 3 suspension but what i saw in this instance was something that bordered on attempted manslaughter.
So much whining who cares they got in a fight. Its football.  Judging from your post you were the kid who got his ass whooped repeatedly in high school.  Quit being such a cry baby " oh they got in a fight they should go to jail and the head coach be fired"  This is just ridiculous.  Attempted manslaughter are you kidding me.

Tideboy

The commentator was Lamar Thomas.  In addition to his rap sheet posted earlier, he was on the receiving in of one of the greatest come-uppance in a national title game in 1992 after trash talking for a week prior to the Sugar Bowl.  George Teague shut him up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL5THVgV8hk
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/Tideboy/tideboy1.jpg

"For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another" (Job 19:25–27).

311Hog

October 16, 2006, 04:27:46 pm #81 Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 04:31:34 pm by 311Hog
Quote from: strawhog on October 16, 2006, 04:20:10 pm

So much whining who cares they got in a fight. Its football.  Judging from your post you were the kid who got his ass whooped repeatedly in high school.  Quit being such a cry baby " oh they got in a fight they should go to jail and the head coach be fired"  This is just ridiculous.  Attempted manslaughter are you kidding me.

Now i know you didnt watch the fight, because people wearing 2 inch cleets were stomping down on helpless people on the ground, swinging a helmet around like a bat? tell me there tough guy go grab a helmet go down to dickson street and start swinging it at people and then come back here or post from prision telling the rest of us what you were charged with.

strawhog

Yes I've seen the fight several times and it aint no big deal.  Being on dickson street and playing football are entirely different things.  Football promotes violence this is something that happens.  You are out of line, and the rest of the country agrees with me by just suspending players for 1 game.   Not a big deal just 1 game.

Immensehog

Quote from: strawhog on October 16, 2006, 04:20:10 pm

The NHL has even set precedent on "malicious attacks".  A player whose name escapes me, was charged last year with assault.
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

Richard_white

Quote from: strawhog on October 16, 2006, 04:54:37 pm
Yes I've seen the fight several times and it aint no big deal.  Being on dickson street and playing football are entirely different things.  Football promotes violence this is something that happens.  You are out of line, and the rest of the country agrees with me by just suspending players for 1 game.   Not a big deal just 1 game.

It's not a big deal when you take your helmet off and start swinging it at players head or body. 

I am a big Miami fan and if I was the coach I would kicked those players off the team.  Send a message to the players and future recruits.  If you want to play football and win a NC, come to Miami.  If you want to act like a thug, then go hang out on the streets. But your not welcome to Miami if you disgrace the University.

311Hog

Yes I've seen the fight several times and it aint no big deal.  Being on dickson street and playing football are entirely different things.  Football promotes violence this is something that happens.  You are out of line, and the rest of the country agrees with me by just suspending players for 1 game.   Not a big deal just 1 game.

You couldnt be more wrong, 1 game? that NFL player that kicked the guy ONCE or was it twice? while he was down and then humbley apologized afterwards got more then ONE GAME, and we are talking players that have shown no remorse what so ever, and i played football yes it is a violent game and yes i have been involved in "football fights" both against a teammate and against an opponent and NEVER did it cross my mind to stomp down on a person's head with my kleets once much less over and over while 5 to 10 of my teammates joined in.  If you subtract the pads and place these ppl on a street corner you have 25 future felons on your hands.

The simple fact you are on a football field does not give you permission to act that way.  I guess by your rational it is ok for a hockey player to get into a fight take off his skate and begin to stab his opponent, or a baseball player to rush the mound with bat in hand, the line isnt blurry at all it is quiet clear what is acceptable violence and what is criminal.

kitshicker

Yes I've seen the fight several times and it aint no big deal.  Being on dickson street and playing football are entirely different things.  Football promotes violence this is something that happens.  You are out of line, and the rest of the country agrees with me by just suspending players for 1 game.   Not a big deal just 1 game.
Did you think it was "no big deal" when the guy from Tennessee stomped the head of the Cowboys lineman?? that earned him a lot more than a 1 game suspension....and yes, there were multiple players stomping heads and getting their heads stomped.

strawhog

The rest of America agrees with none of you.  If they did there would be more than just one game suspensions. 

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: Tideboy on October 16, 2006, 04:25:20 pm
The commentator was Lamar Thomas.  In addition to his rap sheet posted earlier, he was on the receiving in of one of the greatest come-uppance in a national title game in 1992 after trash talking for a week prior to the Sugar Bowl.  George Teague shut him up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL5THVgV8hk

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed that game just seeing your guys put the smack down on those thugs that night.

I also remember the Bama cheerleaders taunting Gino Toretta with their "Heisman" poses. Loved it any time those thugs got tromped.

Richard_white

Quote from: strawhog on October 16, 2006, 05:04:40 pm
The rest of America agrees with none of you.  If they did there would be more than just one game suspensions. 

What does America have anything to do with agreeing on the decision?  Does the NCAA or Miami FB program ask the American population on what kind of penalty those players should receive? 

kitshicker

Quote from: strawhog on October 16, 2006, 05:04:40 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if there were more suspensions handed down before it was over.

strawhog

My point is that you guys thinking is way out of line.

evangelist

I bet Daniel Stegall from Greenwood is glad he didn't go to Miami!

Richard_white

I guess it doesn't matter.  Larry Coker and Paul Dee is gone before the season or after the season is over with.

hogsanity

The Miami analyst was just fired.  Cries of racism soon to follow.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

strawhog

Why should coker be fired because of what happened this weekend?

Richard_white

Quote from: strawhog on October 16, 2006, 05:22:10 pm
Why should coker be fired because of what happened this weekend?

It's not a question it's a fact.  Coker is gone.  He will be followed by Paul Dee as well.

strawhog

I didnt ask if it was a fact I asked why should this weekend have any influence over whether he stays or goes Miami won the game.

Richard_white

Quote from: strawhog on October 16, 2006, 05:25:17 pm
I didnt ask if it was a fact I asked why should this weekend have any influence over whether he stays or goes Miami won the game.

This alone would not get him fired but it's just the nail in the coffin.  This has happened twice since Coker was HC.  The first fight wasn't as big as this one but it shows how much control that Coker has on his team.  That is none.

Oh by the way, Reddick was just suspended indefinitely.  One down more to come later.

H&D

And to think acouple of weeks ago people on hogville were wondering if it would be possible for Coker to be in the running for the head coach job here next year.  Well I for one can do without that type of coaching, I mean did he even see the gang style beat-in his players were dishing out?  This guy is a joke.  He has taken one of the easiest schools to get recruits and turned it into a shell of its past glory.  I had rather hire some highschool coach (Gus) than this moron.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"