Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BCS Standings

Started by threeNout, October 12, 2006, 12:42:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugehogsfan

Quote from: ryan_hog on October 12, 2006, 08:10:22 pm
darned USC!!  I Hope we play them in a bowel game and beat the Shlt out of them!!  They cost us the National championship!!!!

I am not buying tickets to a "bowel" game.  That is utterly disgusting.

Hugehogsfan

Although if we start losing again I will go to any bowel.

BigArkyintheRock

Does anyone have a link to ESPN's BCS predictions? Thanks!

WPS! :razorback:
And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

PIGskin Pride

Here is the BCS ranking formula.

Combined age of starting QB and HB.  Divide that by the number of trainers on staff.  Add the age of the athletic director and divide that by the number of luxury boxes in the stadium.  Then you multiply that by the number of airplanes landing at the local airport to court your coach.  The final part of the equation is the one that benefits Arkansas the most.  You take the above result and divide it by the number of times your head coach chews his fingernails on national television. 

From this official BCS formula, we are ranked #1 with an astounding .0023 computer rating...

Peace,
PIGskin

enl35794

I, as many, have high hopes with the projected rankings. The thought of winning out is exciting. But, as we all know, its a long ways off, and will be extremely tough to pull off. I think we'll be right there in the middle of the pack when the actual rankings come out. It is a very long shot of us playing for the title this year, but its possible if we take care of business.

Personally, I see USC goin undefeated. I dont think Cal or Notre Dame will beat them. Also, I think Michigan will win out. They're gonna knock off Ohio State in the Big House this year. So, as I've said from the start of the year, my prediction is USC vs Michigan in the title game, and nothing we can do about jumping either team if we do win out.
"And I took the butcher knife and put it up to her neck. I said if you want to live to see tomorrow, you better start frying them eggs a little bit better than what you frying. I'm tired of eating sloppy, slimy eggs."

Jesco White

Adam Stokes

October 13, 2006, 04:40:35 am #55 Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 04:42:56 am by ajs15razorman
  On Sportscenter Pat Forde just showed the likely BCS rankings next week, he pointed out that computers act alot differently than the humans do.  Either way, they had Arkansas ranked #7!!!  Southern Cal also took the #1 spot away from Ohio State because right now their schedule is better.  Let's hope the rankings are as accurate as Forde says they are,

WOO :razorback: SOOIE

PORK CHOP

Adam Stokes

Quote from: PORK CHOP on October 13, 2006, 04:43:14 am
do you have a link for this

It was on Sportscenter this morning, sorry I don't have a link.

northsidegrizzly06

Just saw on sportscenter that ESPN has the hogs 7 on their BCS predictions

Smiter Man

HogHillbilly

I hope we are 7.................I also hope this isn't the kiss of death
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

OnYourToes

When do the rankings come out and not just speculation?
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

northsidegrizzly06

the official rankings come out sunday but ESPN did say that this is unofficial but its true we were 7

Razorback Jedi

I believe the highest we've ever been was 8th in 1998, the first year of the BCS. To debut at #7 this year would be pretty incredible, even though we're not that good, now.

OnYourToes

Quote from: northsidegrizzly06 on October 13, 2006, 09:53:53 am
the official rankings come out sunday but ESPN did say that this is unofficial but its true we were 7

So this is truely officially unofficial that we are #7 prior to the truely officially official poll which we will see Sunday, still no word of the officially official ranking of the Hogs as it is unofficially official that we may be #7.

Got it.
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

kitshicker

Quote from: Hugehogsfan on October 12, 2006, 09:13:33 pm
darned USC!!  I Hope we play them in a bowel game and beat the Shlt out of them!!  They cost us the National championship!!!!

LOL......the "Mylanta Bowel Bowl"

OnYourToes

Quote from: kitshicker on October 13, 2006, 10:01:34 am
Quote from: Hugehogsfan on October 12, 2006, 09:13:33 pm

LOL......the "Mylanta Bowel Bowl"

LMAO . . . . Brought to you by Turbo Laxx!!!

You sir are a genius!

SteelShot

I saw this morning that Pat Forde predicted Arkansas at No. & when the BCS is released this Sunday.  I am trying everything not to get excited but it is getting harder and harder.

I still say we need to prove we can win consistently and finish what we have started, but I feel like a 16 year old boy at the high school senior prom waiting to leave and go to the after party.  It's hard not to get excited.
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

murray-vegas

Sagarin's rankings under Elo-class (the one used for the BCS) has the Hogs ranked...are you sitting down...5th.

Top 10 is
USC, OSU, FLA, Mich, Ark, Tn, ND, Aub, Iowa, Texas.

jkcrunch

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 07:11:17 pm
Thanks for the info. aaroncooley. Good numbers to know. Would our strength of schedule been higher had we scheduled another Sun Belt Conference team instead of a SE Mizzou State. I am afraid the computers will drop us some over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully the voters will keep moving us up toward the Top 10. Mabye a few teams ahead of us fall. Makes me wonder what our ranking will be when the voters that left us off add us to their ballot this weekend.

I hope we are still in the top 15 BCS rankings when we go to S. Carolina. I still don't see why we scheduled a Missouri High School team for this saturday. We don't have to play a team lie Notre Dame, but Arkansas surely could have selected another D1 school and not a 1-AA.

I understand the frustration about playing a 1AA but this is a financial decision for the program.  To bring a D1 program in you have to give them a bigger payday or a home and home.    It is bad for any program who draws like us to give out home and home against smaller D1.   Lets say we put Toledo on our schedule a mid major that can make money off their own home sched.   To deal a deal with us they have to recoup the revenue from a home or get a home & home series with us.   Ok their revenue for a home is likely twice a D1 AA school hence to play us aty home only they would want that plus travel.   If you play them a home & home series you have to lock up the 3 game deal because it will take two home games to recoup your loss of revenue from the game at Toledo.  This is the gist behind the schedule but you could schedule a local D1 like Tulsa but they are still going to be more expensive especially since they have started to draw better at home.   I wish we had a better game but I underrstand the dollars and cents of why we dont.

hogsanity

Sorry boys, as long as their are human polls involved in the BCS equation, no way Ar gets in the title game.  Even with 1 loss.  No way they jum over USC, MICh, Fl, etc.  I dont know if a team could ever start unranked, loss the opener and still make the BCS CG
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PigPusher

October 13, 2006, 10:34:55 am #71 Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 10:39:13 am by PigPusher
Check this one out.'

http://www.tellshowbcs.com/index.html

Click on "Computer Polls."

Really nice to see Arkansas listed in the top ten again.  I resolve never, never to get complacent about that again.  Promise, promise, promise. We certainly belong there as it makes any top ten look better. :)
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Kevin n Hog Heaven

At the risk of being chastised and made fun of by HIM I thought strength of schedule was no longer a factor with the BCS rankings?

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin n Hog Heaven on October 13, 2006, 10:37:19 am
At the risk of being chastised and made fun of by HIM I thought strength of schedule was no longer a factor with the BCS rankings?

It may not be a computer factor, but human pollsters take that into thir thoughts when they vote.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: PigPusher on October 13, 2006, 10:34:55 am
Check this one out.'

http://www.tellshowbcs.com/index.html

Click on "Computer Polls."

Really nice to see Arkansas listed in the top ten again.  I resolve never, never to get complacent about that again.  Promise, promise, promise. We certainly belong there as it makes any top ten look better. :)

Man the SEC sucks. Only 4 teams in the top 8...

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Kevin n Hog Heaven on October 13, 2006, 10:37:19 am

It's not in the BCS, but it is in the computer polls. The BCS used to have a SOS adjustment separate from the polls...now they don't. But the computer polls take this into account, which is why the Hogs are so highly ranked.

piglett06

Have to love that number 7.  Great response to the great win.

Winner

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2006, 10:34:25 am
Sorry boys, as long as their are human polls involved in the BCS equation, no way Ar gets in the title game.  Even with 1 loss.  No way they jum over USC, MICh, Fl, etc.  I dont know if a team could ever start unranked, loss the opener and still make the BCS CG

Normally I agree with this.  But if we are 7th in the BCS now, the polls right now are bringing us down, since we are 17th and 24th.  Can't get much worse than that for a Top 10 BCS team that isn't named Boise.  I think we have a chance to play for it all if we win out if we start at 7.  The polls will start to reflect the BCS before long. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Winner on October 13, 2006, 11:22:00 am

Normally I agree with this.  But if we are 7th in the BCS now, the polls right now are bringing us down, since we are 17th and 24th.  Can't get much worse than that for a Top 10 BCS team that isn't named Boise.  I think we have a chance to play for it all if we win out if we start at 7.  The polls will start to reflect the BCS before long. 

I think the 7 is a projected computer ranking.  No way a team ranked 17 and 24 is going to be 7th in the bcs.  I don't even think that is possible under the formula that is used to creat the bcs rankings. 

Winner

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2006, 11:24:35 am

I think the 7 is a projected computer ranking.  No way a team ranked 17 and 24 is going to be 7th in the bcs.  I don't even think that is possible under the formula that is used to creat the bcs rankings. 

I understood Pat Forde to say that it was his projected BCS ranking.  Normally they are pretty close if not dead on.  It's very surprising, but if happens on Sunday, we may have a chance. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Winner on October 13, 2006, 11:29:39 am
Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2006, 11:24:35 am

I understood Pat Forde to say that it was his projected BCS ranking.  Normally they are pretty close if not dead on.  It's very surprising, but if happens on Sunday, we may have a chance. 

I hope he is right, and I do not even begin to understand all the stuff that goes into the bcs formula, but I dont see how a team ranked 17 and 24 can be 7th in the bcs.  I know that playing games against teams ranked in the top 5 ( when we played them ) heps, but the spread is so big in the polls right now.

PulledPork

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 04:33:50 pm
Mandel:
National title: Ohio State vs. Florida
Rose: Michigan vs. USC
Fiesta: Texas vs. Louisville
Orange: Clemson vs. West Virginia
Sugar: Notre Dame vs. Tennessee

Winn:
National title: Ohio State vs. Texas
Rose: Michigan vs. Cal
Fiesta: USC vs. Louisville
Orange: Clemson vs. Tennessee
Sugar: Notre Dame vs. Florida

McCartney:
National title: Ohio State vs. West Virginia
Fiesta: Texas vs. Boise State

Beech:

Interesting
No mention of Arkansas.
USC is not in the National title game.
Three of these guys have Tennessee playing Clemson in the Orange Bowl.
All have Ohio State in the National title game.
2 for West Virginia, 1 for Texas, and 1 for Florida to play in the Big one.

Be sweet if USC and Arkansas run the table and play for the National Championship!

If not, could Arkansas go to the Orange Bowl? Miami is nice in January.

because we have only had one significant win, my god people, we are not world beaters yet!!

Pulled out...

fullfan

I did not realistically believe this team would go 9-3 this year at the beginning of the season.  And anyone I spoke with at the beginning would have been happy with 9-3.  Now we are talking 11-1 or 10-2. 

I want finish 13-1 but by George I will not slit the wrists with a 9-3 record and a bowl win.  It sure is nice to talk about being in the BCS picture though.  IMO we will be in this picture/discussion for the next couple of seasons and beyond.

Ahenso

I believe they are talking about us being ranked 7th by the computers which is 1/3 of the total BCS standings...

threeNout

Quote from: Ahenso on October 13, 2006, 11:48:52 am
I believe they are talking about us being ranked 7th by the computers which is 1/3 of the total BCS standings...

I think your right and I jumped the gun on hearing others say it was 7th in an overal BCS projection.

still it's encouraging, because the only thing we lack is the poll numbers, and those will surely rise fast if we keep winning.

bill_bakerDW

Quote from: PulledPork on October 13, 2006, 11:37:03 am
Mandel:

Winn:

McCartney:

Beech:

Interesting
No mention of Arkansas.

Be sweet if USC and Arkansas run the table and play for the National Championship!

because we have only had one significant win, my god people, we are not world beaters yet!!

Pulled out...
No, but that ONE significant win was a BIG one.  Our schedule is so favorable and after beating Bama and now Auburn, things are really looking up.  Dont be so quick to throw away the hope of coming away with a surprisingly great season.

HogFaninGA

I saw last night that Fox Sports Network will be showing live results of the BCS ratings on Sunday.  I think at 8 or 8:30 P.M. EST..

PHill94

I will shoot myself if W. Virginia plays for a National Title.

PulledPork

Quote from: bill_bakerDW on October 13, 2006, 01:14:37 pm
Mandel:

Winn:

McCartney:

Beech:

Interesting
No mention of Arkansas.

Pulled out...
No, but that ONE significant win was a BIG one.  Our schedule is so favorable and after beating Bama and now Auburn, things are really looking up.  Dont be so quick to throw away the hope of coming away with a surprisingly great season.
favorable?  wow, except for SEMO and Miss St, who else is a SURE win?  Remember, you huggers said that anybody can be beat anyday, "that is why they play the game..."  That goes for us, too.  Don't be so quick to put us in the National Championship game over one win!

Pulled out...

bill_bakerDW

Quote from: PulledPork on October 13, 2006, 01:33:39 pm
Quote from: bill_bakerDW on October 13, 2006, 01:14:37 pm
Mandel:

Winn:

McCartney:

Beech:

Interesting
No mention of Arkansas.

Pulled out...
favorable?  wow, except for SEMO and Miss St, who else is a SURE win?  Remember, you huggers said that anybody can be beat anyday, "that is why they play the game..."  That goes for us, too.  Don't be so quick to put us in the National Championship game over one win!

Pulled out...
If you really don't think we can beat La-Mon. then all hope is lost for you, my friend.  While not disregarding Ole Miss, its looking pretty good for us in that game as well.  The rest of out SEC games are winnable, but not to be overlooked.

Oh and don't group me with the huggers. 

PulledPork

my bad, not used to these 12 game seasons....

Pulled out...

hogsanity

Quote from: PHill94 on October 13, 2006, 01:28:32 pm
I will shoot myself if W. Virginia plays for a National Title.

Better pay up the life insurance then.  If they beat Louisville they just might get there (puke ).

GuvHog

I heard talk of Arkansas being ranked #7 in the BCS pole this morning on a sports radio
station in Memphis. The way they talked it seemed to be Legit.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

razorjag

Did anyone else see the BCS Poll today on ESPN? Arkansas is 7th! Thats awesome, I knew I liked the BCS system for some reason. Thats the poll that matters!!! GO HOGS!!!!

1836andon

Wrong.  We're #7 in their computer ranking.  That only accounts for 1/3 of the actual BCS ranking. 

HogFaninGA

I think the official BCS poll comes out Sunday.  I saw that FSN is doing a special coverage on it at 8 or 8:30 EST..

Cajun Hog

Quote from: razorjag on October 13, 2006, 05:08:14 pm
Did anyone else see the BCS Poll today on ESPN? Arkansas is 7th! That's awesome, I knew I liked the BCS system for some reason. That's the poll that matters!!! GO HOGS!!!!

The first BCS poll will be released until Sun. the 15th.   ???

razorjag

OHH OK, I was at the hospital when I saw it, there was no sound. It said BCS POLL, but I couldn't hear what they were saying. Thats still pretty good, and its only gonna get better!!

1836andon

Great to see Arkansas listed at #7 on any list.

GuvHog

Quote from: 1836andon on October 13, 2006, 05:09:12 pm
Wrong.  We're #7 in their computer ranking.  That only accounts for 1/3 of the actual BCS ranking. 

Word has leaked out that Arkansas (If they take care of business) will be ranked #7
in the BCS poll when it comes out, or so it was said by a Memphis sports station talk
show host but you never know what they'll say.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!