Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BCS Standings

Started by threeNout, October 12, 2006, 12:42:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mtown_hogs

fox is having the first release during the post game show of their first game on sunday.

YodaHog

it seems like we would need to be higher in the coaches poll to be #7.

ryan_hog

Are there any links to these so called.....CPU rankings, in which we are 7th?

HogFaninGA

The BCS Standings will be issued on Sundays Oct. 15, Oct. 22, Oct. 29, Nov. 5, Nov. 12, Nov. 19 and Nov. 26. On Sunday, Dec. 3, during a special prime time BCS SELECTION SHOW, live from 8:00 – 8:30 PM ET on FOX, the final standings for the year will be announced, and America learns which schools will square off in January's five BCS Bowl games.

WxHog

Quote from: YodaHog on October 13, 2006, 05:40:31 pm

Yeah, although the computer average has us as #7, that will probably go down a little when we play SEMO.  Combine that with the two human polls (Coaches and Harris), I would expect Arkansas to someone in the neighborhood of 15-17 in the first BCS standings. 

GuvHog

Quote from: YodaHog on October 13, 2006, 05:40:31 pm

I thought the Coaches poll and the AP pole were no longer part of the BCS process.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogFaninGA

The BCS Standings are determined each week after the BCS Committee tabulates scores from the 63-member USA Today Coaches Poll, the 114-member Harris Interactive Poll and six computer rankings. Champions from the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-10 and the SEC qualify for the BCS, as does Notre Dame as long as it finishes in the top eight of the BCS Standings. Other conferences, like the Mountain West or WAC, can earn a BCS invitation by placing a team in the top 12, or in the top 16 if they are ahead of a BCS conference champion.

GuvHog

Quote from: HogFaninGA on October 13, 2006, 05:49:22 pm
The BCS Standings are determined each week after the BCS Committee tabulates scores from the 63-member USA Today Coaches Poll, the 114-member Harris Interactive Poll and six computer rankings. Champions from the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-10 and the SEC qualify for the BCS, as does Notre Dame as long as it finishes in the top eight of the BCS Standings. Other conferences, like the Mountain West or WAC, can earn a BCS invitation by placing a team in the top 12, or in the top 16 if they are ahead of a BCS conference champion.

Got it! Appreciate the Info!

WxHog

Quote from: ryan_hog on October 13, 2006, 05:43:03 pm
Are there any links to these so called.....CPU rankings, in which we are 7th?

http://www.mratings.com/cf/compsum.htm

The ratings of the six different computers are on the right side of the page.   The computer average is taken from the six computers with highest and lowest rankings removed.  I guess thats how the computer composite ranks us as #7.   

WxHog

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on October 13, 2006, 05:53:35 pm
Looks like those ratings have us 15th in the BCS.
Thats how I interpreted it, too.  I guess the number under the BCS column would be if there was a standings this week. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on October 13, 2006, 06:00:35 pm
Quote from: GUVHOG on October 13, 2006, 05:34:56 pm
Quote from: 1836andon on October 13, 2006, 05:09:12 pm
Wrong.  We're #7 in their computer ranking.  That only accounts for 1/3 of the actual BCS ranking. 

Word has leaked out that Arkansas (If they take care of business) will be ranked #7
in the BCS poll when it comes out, or so it was said by a Memphis sports station talk
show host but you never know what they'll say.

Link please?  There is one at the bottom of the page.  How come you don't have one Guvy?

Like I said, I heard it today on a sports radio station out of Memphis. One never knows what they'll say. I'll believe it when I see it happen.

RedRiverHog

God, it's great to be a HOG FAN!!!

HOGS #1
Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

The Hog

October 13, 2006, 06:48:25 pm #112 Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 07:01:36 pm by The Hog
Here is a link that explains exactly how to figure the BCS ranking.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bcs_explained.html

Site list the various components of the BCS.  Which computer services and which polls.
Automatic RUN!

PigPusher

I got to wondering how many teams in front of us from our position of 17 position in this 2006 schedule.  The rational being that they will be fighting it out among themselves to our benefit by our moving up in the polls. That is of course that we can take care of business ourselves.  This is a little simplistic, but still interesting.

Did a little research on who in the top 17 have to play each other and this is the way it looks.  It starts from number 1 and progresses downward.  Let me know if I have missed something.

1. Ohio:   Michigan

2. Florida:  Auburn & Georgia

3. USC:  California and Notre Dame

4. Michigan:  Iowa and Ohio State

5. West Virginia:  Louisville

6. Texas:  None

7. Louisville:  West Virginia

8. Tennessee:  LSU and Arkansas

9. Notre Dame:  USC

10. California:  USC

11. Auburn:  Florida and Georgia

12. Clemson:  Georgia Tech

13. Georgia Tech: Clemson and Georgia

14. LSU: Tennessee and Arkansas

15. Iowa: Michigan

16. Georgia:  Florida, Auburn and Georgia Tech

17. Arkansas: Tennessee and LSU
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PulledPork

yeah, we deserve it for beating A$$burn..... :puke:

Pulled out...

piglett06

Way to go PP. You going to turn into an analysis on us?  Interesting info.

aaroncooley

Your BCS percentage is actually pretty easy to figure out.

For the computer polls, you take the six rankings and drop the highest and lowest ones.  For Arkansas, our rankings would be 5, 7, 12 and 12.  Then you assign that ranking with a number (ex. #1=25, #2=24 and so on).  Then you add those numbers together and for Arkansas it would be 68.  Then you divide that number by 100 and that is the computer percentage.  Arkansas would be .6800.

For the Harris poll, you figure how many points the team received in the latest poll. For Arkansas it would 532.  You then divide that number by 2825 (the total amount of points), and that is the percentage.  For Arkansas it would be .1885.

For the coaches poll, you do the same thing as the Harris poll except you divide the point total by 1550.  Arkansas has 264 points in the coaches poll.  The percentage would be .1703.

Then you find the average of the three percentages and that is your official BCS percentage.  This week, Arkansas's percentage would be .3463.  This time last year, that would have put as at around 18.  But Sunday, I say we'll be around 15 or 16.

The Snatch

Quote from: northsidegrizzly06 on October 12, 2006, 06:35:05 pm
yea, i seen that just now

You seen it, huh? I sawed it.

Anyway, all this talk about playing for the National Championship is moot. We will lose to Tennessee and LSU. Book it.

1836andon

Snatch, you're a bad person.  I hope you choke up on your toothbrush tomorrow morning.

PulledPork

at least he is grounded in some type of reality....

Pulled out...

1836andon

Being pessimistic while others are high on their team is not necessarily being grounded

The Snatch

Quote from: 1836andon on October 13, 2006, 10:01:31 pm
Snatch, you're a bad person.  I hope you choke up on your toothbrush tomorrow morning.

I won't, but thanks for thinking of me.