Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BCS Standings

Started by threeNout, October 12, 2006, 12:42:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

threeNout

The first BCS rankings will be out Sunday, 10-15

Here's a BCS site that explains alot.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfootball/

It will be interesting how things stack up, will OSU be #1, and by how much? Florida's game against Auburn will improve it's SOS just in time for the 1st ranking, if they paste Auburn, we'll see how far off they are from OSU.

And where will the Hogs be?, a lot has to do with that coaches poll, and the #23 ranking we are currently saddled with, but we may very well be in the top 16 BCS after this weekend.

BloodRedHog

What is the formula now for BCS rankng? I forget. They seem to change it each year.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

BigArkyintheRock

October 12, 2006, 04:33:50 pm #4 Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 04:54:08 pm by BigArkyintheRock
Mandel:
National title: Ohio State vs. Florida
Rose: Michigan vs. USC
Fiesta: Texas vs. Louisville
Orange: Clemson vs. West Virginia
Sugar: Notre Dame vs. Tennessee

Winn:
National title: Ohio State vs. Texas
Rose: Michigan vs. Cal
Fiesta: USC vs. Louisville
Orange: Clemson vs. Tennessee
Sugar: Notre Dame vs. Florida

McCartney:
National title: Ohio State vs. West Virginia
Rose: Michigan vs. Cal
Fiesta: Texas vs. Boise State

Beech:
National title: Ohio State vs. West Virginia
Rose: Michigan vs. USC
Fiesta: Texas vs. Boise State

Interesting
No mention of Arkansas.
USC is not in the National title game.
Three of these guys have Tennessee playing Clemson in the Orange Bowl.
All have Ohio State in the National title game.
2 for West Virginia, 1 for Texas, and 1 for Florida to play in the Big one.

Be sweet if USC and Arkansas run the table and play for the National Championship!

If not, could Arkansas go to the Orange Bowl? Miami is nice in January.

WPS! :razorback:
And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

hogsanity

To make the BCS we have to win the SECCG.  We do not make the BCS with 2 losses.  Sadly, a 1 loss hog team does not make the NCG most likely.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BigArkyintheRock

I think that is correct. Need to win out + SECCG to make it to the BCS (I think).

You see where they have Tennessee playing in the Orange Bowl? What's up with Winn's predictions?  Winn has Texass playing Ohio State in the National title game. Texass already played Ohio State and was beaten. He then has Florida playing in the Sugar, and Tennessee in the Orange. How does all that happen?

And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

BigArkyintheRock

If Texass (per Winn above) has a shot at a rematch game against Ohio State for the National Championship, then I think a 12-1 Arkansas team, fresh off a win over #1 Florida, assuming Ohio State stumbles along the way, would be more deserving than Texass.

Be interesting to see what the final pairings are and then look back at what these guys predicted. Looks like they are assuming Tennessee will beat Arkansas, and Florida will win the SECCG.

aaroncooley

According to how the BCS does their percentages, we would currently have a 0.700% in the computer rankings, a 0.1883% in the Harris Poll, and a 0.1703% in the coaches poll.

This would make our average BCS percentage 0.3529.  Last year, we would have been around 16 or 17 with this percentage.  What's saving us is the computer rankings.  Our average ranking is 9 in the computers.

RebelHawg

I was just watching Sportscenter and the guy on there had Arkansas projected to be #7 in the first BCS rankings.

northsidegrizzly06

HoopS

I saw that too.  Tennessee just ahead of us.   

1836andon

Wow.  Can someone explain this to me?  How would we be ranked #7 when we're only 17 in teh AP?

HoopS

cubbie

If you were a Hotdog would you eat yourself? I know I would.

HoopS

cubbie

MasterChiefHog

I just had a tear roll down my cheek.....
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

hog_fan

AP poll has no bearing on BCS standing. They dropped out of it

Wolfhound05

Am I reading this right?  I think I need to go check my pants!

PHill94

Calling All Hogs

This may help us in the other two polls. Especially the coach's poll. They will look at the BSC ranking. Maybe change
their vote since they apparently don't spend any real time analyzing.

enl35794

Yeah, I couldn't believe when I saw. I Just glanced at the TV, and was like "Did I just see Arkansas on there?". Sure enough. Thats mega-huge for us if we're already ranked.
"And I took the butcher knife and put it up to her neck. I said if you want to live to see tomorrow, you better start frying them eggs a little bit better than what you frying. I'm tired of eating sloppy, slimy eggs."

Jesco White

hog_fan

That was only projected rankings. Chuck said it also heard 20th and 15th.

cubbie

It's ND they will be up there the media loves them so they will always be ranked high.  This just in Charlie Weis just got two bear claws lodged in his throat.

aaroncooley

Quote from: HoopSlap on October 12, 2006, 06:38:08 pm
Computers like us.

yeah, in the 6 computer polls our rankings are:  5, 5, 7, 12, 12, and 20.  But they drop the highest and lowest rankings.

hogchic2001

Go HOGS Go!

WxHog

October 12, 2006, 07:04:26 pm #27 Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 07:14:30 pm by WxHog
         The BCS formula is:    1/3 Coaches Poll   
                                       1/3 Harris Poll
                                       1/3 Computers

Although we are ranked 23rd in the Coaches Poll and the 22nd in the Harris Poll, we will receive a higher ranking because the computers like us.  A couple of the computers rank us #5, the 4 other computers lower.  One of the reasons why the computers tends to like us is because it does not factor in margin of victory.   Therefore, it does not care if we lost to USC by 36 and narrowly beat Vanderbilt and Alabama.

Even though we will rank higher in the computers, given that the 2/3 of the BCS is formula is human polls, i doubt that we will be 7th in the first BCS standings.  Using the current, but uncompleted formula (one computer does not "compute" until after this weekends games) we are ranked 15th.  The unofficial and incomplete BCS Standings can be found in the below link and the BCS rank can be found under the BCS column toward the middle of the page.   

http://www.mratings.com/cf/compsum.htm

mckinneyhog

Quote from: WxHog on October 12, 2006, 07:04:26 pm
         The BCS formula is:    1/3 Coaches Poll   
                                       1/3 Harris Poll
                                       1/3 Computers

Although we are ranked 23rd in the Coaches Poll and the 22nd in the Harris Poll, we will receive a higher ranking because the computers like us.  A couple of the computers rank us #5, the 4 other computers lower.  One of the reasons why the computers tends to like us is because it does not factor in margin of victory.   Therefore, it does not care if we lost to USC by 36 and narrowly beat Vanderbilt and Alabama.

Even though we will rank higher in the computers, given that the 2/3 of the BCS is formula is human polls, i doubt that we will be 7th in the first BCS standings.  One BCS projection has us 17th, and this is probably more realistic. 

http://www.mratings.com/cf/compsum.htm

Seems logical

Zen_Hog

And USC was #1 on the BCS standings too.

BigArkyintheRock

Thanks for the info. aaroncooley. Good numbers to know. Would our strength of schedule been higher had we scheduled another Sun Belt Conference team instead of a SE Mizzou State. I am afraid the computers will drop us some over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully the voters will keep moving us up toward the Top 10. Mabye a few teams ahead of us fall. Makes me wonder what our ranking will be when the voters that left us off add us to their ballot this weekend.

I hope we are still in the top 15 BCS rankings when we go to S. Carolina. I still don't see why we scheduled a Missouri High School team for this saturday. We don't have to play a team lie Notre Dame, but Arkansas surely could have selected another D1 school and not a 1-AA.

HoopS

I saw it but it was brief, I am sure of them "projecting" us at 7 and Tenn at 6.  As to Texas, not sure but I think 4 or 5.  USC was 1, I think Florida 2, OSU 3, Michigan 4, Tex 5.

Again, it was just a projection, but never the less, it looked good to me.

S&W

as long as we are ranked i am one happy PIG.

GHFG

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: HoopSlap on October 12, 2006, 07:11:33 pm
USC was 1, I think Florida 2, OSU 3, Michigan 4, Tex 5.

that's crap... OSU is by far the most dominate team this year.  USC is definitely there but when you barely squeak by Washington you don't get to be #1
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

hogfancb

Once we play SEMO our rankings will fall a little bit in the computers.

HoopS

Carolina, I agree.  Look out for werehog.  I suspect he thinks USC is #1. 

It will work it's way out.

SpiceIslandHog

Having beaten #2 Auburn away, and only having one loss and that loss is to USC, and 5 ranked (top 25) opponents by the end of the year = computer love

1836andon

If the is true, and I say If, would we have a shot of playing in a BCS game if we run the table minus Florida?  Meaning we end up at 10-2 with losses to USC and Florida. 

HoopS

Not with 2, imo.  Win out, I mean seriously, if we win out things could get very interesting. 

*please don't scold me for saying the above.  I know, I know.  Just sayin...

BigArkyintheRock

If Arkansas wins out all the way, 12-1, beating a 12-0 #2 BCS ranked Florida team, I think there is a great chance for Arkansas to get the #2 ranking in the BCS. USC will need to 12-0 IMO for us to have ashot at the #2 spot in the BCS.

Looks like USC is ranked #1 in the BCS.

1836andon

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 07:59:15 pm
If Arkansas wins out all the way, 12-1, beating a 12-0 #2 BCS ranked Florida team, I think there is a great chance for Arkansas to get the #2 ranking in the BCS. USC will need to 12-0 IMO for us to have ashot at the #2 spot in the BCS.

Looks like USC is ranked #1 in the BCS.

I just got chills.  I know it's dreaming but it's certainly fun to do so.

ryan_hog

darned USC!!  I Hope we play them in a bowel game and beat the Shlt out of them!!  They cost us the National championship!!!!

ryan_hog

sorry, I didnt mean to say bowel in my last post

Hogwild63

October 12, 2006, 08:12:51 pm #43 Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 08:32:53 pm by Hogwild63
I paused that and went back and reviewed it.  I think that was the projected COMPUTER ranking...  and as seen above that figures in 1/3 of the equation...... how about a BCS projection thread..... I predict   #16 BCS   !!!!

Go Hogs    Mitch Slap  Red Hawks   !!!

HoopS

Hey Ryan, after 2 yrs in the Toilet Bowl, we can't hold that against ya.  :D

threeNout

Considering ESPN's mock BCS rating at having us at 7th.

There are 6 unbeaten major teams (not counting Boise St and Rutgers)

What ESPN is saying is they consider us to be the best among the 1 loss teams.

I only thought that interesting considering all the speculation of a 1 loss Arkansas team not having much of a shot at the NC game if there was only 1 unbeaten left at the end of the year.

No doubt it's a long shot, especially the part of us winning out, but if that were to happen, and there was only 1 unbeaten team left, I actually think we would have a very good chance of being that 1 loss team to play in the NC game.

ESPN doesn't seem to disagree.

BigArkyintheRock

If USC goes 12-0, and is the only major undefeated team remaining, and we go 12-1, I think we will play USC for the National Championship.

Same thing for Notre Dame. If Michigan and ND run the table, I think they will be #1 and #2 in the BCS Poll.

Same for Texass. If Ohio State and Texass run the table, with a Notre Dame win against USC, I think Texass has a shot at #2 in the BCS.

If Notre Dame and Texass still have a shot at the #2 spot in the BCS, then Arkansas does.

BigArkyintheRock

I think a BCS ranking of #15 or #16 is about right for Arkansas this weekend. I'll go with #15.

threeNout

October 12, 2006, 08:59:15 pm #48 Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 09:01:38 pm by threeNout
(Note: Mods are doing a great job of consolidating threads which should be together, thanks guys!)

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 08:31:16 pm
If USC goes 12-0, and is the only major undefeated team remaining, and we go 12-1, I think we will play USC for the National Championship.

Same thing for Notre Dame. If Michigan and ND run the table, I think they will be #1 and #2 in the BCS Poll.

Same for Texass. If Ohio State and Texass run the table, with a Notre Dame win against USC, I think Texass has a shot at #2 in the BCS.

If Notre Dame and Texass still have a shot at the #2 spot in the BCS, then Arkansas does.

I'll agree with you on this, the way things stand now, a
12-0 USC, coupled with us winning out, appears to be the best formula for us actually getting a crack at the title game.

the way things stand now and as we percieve they'll unfold, which changes from week to week.

The biggest component by far, and the only thing we can control is win out, which I'd expect less than a 10-15% chance of happening, as I percieve things will unfold.

But should we win out, and that's when the converstaion turns to everything else, there are actually a LOT of possibilities of us getting to the NC title game.

We could play USC, OSU, Texas, Michigan, ND or someone else in the NC title game.

Heck, there are probably even a crazy scenario of playing Florida in back to back games, for the SECCG and NC.

Main thing is, win out. If we win out, and also say there is only 1 unbeaten team left. I'd then say our chances of playing for the NC would be around 50%

The encouraginfg thing is, ESPN projecting us to 7th, the HIGHEST 1 loss team, before the stronger half of our SOS has even kicked in yet.

threeNout

I just saw Texas was listed at 5 by ESPN, I guess that would make them the highest ranked 1 loss team in ESPN's mock BCS.

But I'd bet they couldn't hold it that long, being 0-1 against the top 10? With us potentially being 4-1 against the top 10. Our SOS would eat them up, if we were facing only a 1 or 2 spot difference in the polls.