Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TOP 32 Ranked BCS Teams To Settle It On The Field For National Championship

Started by BigArkyintheRock, October 12, 2006, 12:07:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 01:18:42 pm
Why does Notre Dame get the freebie?

THERE SHOULD BE NO AT LARGE BIDS FOR NOTRE DAME OR ANY OTHER SCHOOL!!

Too much politics in at large bids. Notre Dame is a media darling. They should have to earn their spot in the playoff like everyone else and just go strictly by the rankings.

For a team like Boise State, if they go undefeated or just have one loss, no big deal, they likely will be in the top 32, as would a one or two loss Notre Dame team.

If not a 32 team format, then a 16 team playoff.

WPS! :razorback:

So 1 loss Boise is put into the 16 team playoff, but 4 loss Arkansas who beat Boise by 5 TDs is left out?  This is what would've happened in 02

Feralhog

Would one of you guys please point out what the hell is wrong with my solution?
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

hogfan064

Quote from: Feralhog on October 12, 2006, 01:25:20 pm

I just did.  Why would you let a 4 loss FSU team play for the NC?  FSU was the ACC Champs last year you know.  Do they deserve it over 2 loss LSU? 

sooie dog

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 12, 2006, 01:14:27 pm
Quote from: sooie dog on October 12, 2006, 01:07:13 pm

16 just runs too long.
Do you like even like watching football?
Yes, I do...I also like to watch basketball and give my team time to recruit and figure out where they are for the upcoming season.  16 teams is too many.  noone outside the top 10 has any reason to be in the discussion anyway.
[/quote]

So let's say the playoffs started last Saturday. We were around number 31 playing number 2 at number 2.  That's the way it would probably be set up.  In your opinion Arkansas was left out b/c noone outside the top 16 deserved to be considered anyway.  Is that right?  I think that's the way I understood it. 

BigArkyintheRock

LOL! Glad you asked!

Arkansas 51-USC 13

Mitch threw for 2 TDs and had 275 yards passing. Mitch also had a TD receiving on the trick play pass from DMAC!!

DMAC ran for 2 TDs and 205 yards.

FJ ran for 135 yards and scored his TD on a 34 yard run.

We also made 3 FGs (29 yds, 36 yds, and 52 yds...against the wind!!)

:)

As for Texass...they scored more on us, but we still pounded them!

Arkansas 63-Texass 17

And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

hogfan064

Also,please find me a #5 team that deserved a shot at the NC.  Unless you can do that then there is no need for a 8 team playoff and definitely not for a 16 team.

BigArkyintheRock

This is 2006. There's always a few rare case scenarios that are out there. But in the end, let's just go by the numbers. I am for a 32 team playoff system. Teams not making it in the top 32 don't make the playoffs.

And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

hogfan064

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 01:30:16 pm
This is 2006. There's always a few rare case scenarios that are out there. But in the end, let's just go by the numbers. I am for a 32 team playoff system. Teams not making it in the top 32 don't make the playoffs.

Teams not in the top 4 don't deserve a shot at the NC either. 

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: sooie dog on October 12, 2006, 01:26:18 pm

16 just runs too long.
Yes, I do...I also like to watch basketball and give my team time to recruit and figure out where they are for the upcoming season.  16 teams is too many.  noone outside the top 10 has any reason to be in the discussion anyway.

So let's say the playoffs started last Saturday. We were around number 31 playing number 2 at number 2.  That's the way it would probably be set up.  In your opinion Arkansas was left out b/c noone outside the top 16 deserved to be considered anyway.  Is that right?  I think that's the way I understood it. 

[/quote]I have no clue what you are getting at.  The playoffs didn't start last Saturday.  Arkansas beating Auburn has no bearing on how many teams should be in the playoffs.  After 10-12 games, we know who the REALLY good teams are.  There is no reason to include teams who would have to go on an amazingly lucky run to win the NC.  It takes too long that way, and it makes the regular seson useless.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 12, 2006, 01:32:28 pm

16 just runs too long.

I have no clue what you are getting at.  The playoffs didn't start last Saturday.  Arkansas beating Auburn has no bearing on how many teams should be in the playoffs.  After 10-12 games, we know who the REALLY good teams are.  There is no reason to include teams who would have to go on an amazingly lucky run to win the NC.  It takes too long that way, and it makes the regular seson useless.
[/quote]And please learn to use the quote function correctly, it is impossible to follow our discussion unless you know who posted what.

BigArkyintheRock

Do you think there has ever been a 1 loss team that played for or deserved to play for the National Championship?

OK then, a playoff system is needed.

Feralhog

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 01:26:18 pm

I just did.  Why would you let a 4 loss FSU team play for the NC?  FSU was the ACC Champs last year you know.  Do they deserve it over 2 loss LSU? 

It's called Shiite happens!  The Conference Championship game acts as the first round of the tournament. The Cinderella Story in Sports.  Happens in the basketball tournament all the time.  A few years ago, K-St kicked the ever loving Shiite out of OU in the Big 12 Championship game and if that happened again, you bet.      
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

BigArkyintheRock

Does the regular season and conference tourney matter in College Basketball? Yes.

Football would be the same with a playoff. The regular season and conference championship games would still matter because it helps your final ranking in december before the playoffs begin.

hogfan064

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 01:34:27 pm
Do you think there has ever been a 1 loss team that played for or deserved to play for the National Championship?

OK then, a playoff system is needed.

Find me one that deserved it.  Please find that team that finished the year ranked 5th and should've played for the NC.  I'm still waiting on this. 

James K. Pork

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 01:28:58 pm
Also,please find me a #5 team that deserved a shot at the NC.  Unless you can do that then there is no need for a 8 team playoff and definitely not for a 16 team.

Where was West Virginia ranked before they beat the SEC champs?  That demonstrates the need for at least an 8-team playoff.  The Mountaineers were one of the best in the nation at the time they beat Georgia.  Under a 4-team system, they would never get the chance to show it.  But Georgia, a team they beat, would've gotten an invite.

There are teams who lose their first game or two who end the season being among the best in the nation.  Under a I-AA playoff system, those type of teams get more of a chance to prove it.  Under the current system, you are screwed unless you're a Notre Dame, a Michigan, a Southern Cal, or a Texas getting pimped by the media for inclusion in the BCS title game in spite of a loss.

For the reasons you mentioned in an earlier post, the I-AA system isn't perfect.  But it is far superior to a system that allowed a program that didn't even compete in its conference championship game a shot at the BCS Championship.

hogfan064

Quote from: Feralhog on October 12, 2006, 01:37:42 pm

It's called Shiite happens!  The Conference Championship game acts as the first round of the tournament. The Cinderella Story in Sports.  Happens in the basketball tournament all the time.  A few years ago, K-St kicked the ever loving Shiite out of OU in the Big 12 Championship game and if that happened again, you bet.      

If you've lost 4 games you don't deserve a shot at the NC in football. 

Juboar

sooie dog

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 01:40:52 pm

Post that 5 or 6 more times and maybe you will get your point across
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 12, 2006, 01:33:15 pm

16 just runs too long.

I have no clue what you are getting at.  The playoffs didn't start last Saturday.  Arkansas beating Auburn has no bearing on how many teams should be in the playoffs.  After 10-12 games, we know who the REALLY good teams are.  There is no reason to include teams who would have to go on an amazingly lucky run to win the NC.  It takes too long that way, and it makes the regular seson useless.
And please learn to use the quote function correctly, it is impossible to follow our discussion unless you know who posted what.
[/quote]

I cut out the other quotes to get to the point.   Rather than having 5 other posts in the quote I wanted to single yours out. 

Feralhog

Look guys.  you can't have an at large tournament where teams are invited.  It was pointed out yesterday that it destroys the regular season.  If you had a 16 team Playoff, teams like OU, Bama, LSU to name a few would have their seasons, in effect, be over before the 2nd week of October!

My scenario settles it on the field, with the exception of extending one at large bid for the 8th BCS spot.  It preserves the bowl games and regular season games.  It places a high level of importance on Conference games thus allowing teams to schedule a tougher non conference schedule without risk of having a non conference loss ruin their chances.  A playoff where you invite teams to participate does just the opposite.  It places the same value on non conference games AND the chances are slim and none for schools to risk a loss by scheduling a tough non conference opponent.  My solution ain't perfect, but it addresses every obsticle and provides a decent solution for each of those obsticles.

hogfan064

Quote from: James K. Pork on October 12, 2006, 01:39:51 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 01:28:58 pm

Where was West Virginia ranked before they beat the SEC champs?  That demonstrates the need for at least an 8-team playoff.  The Mountaineers were one of the best in the nation at the time they beat Georgia.  Under a 4-team system, they would never get the chance to show it.  But Georgia, a team they beat, would've gotten an invite.

There are teams who lose their first game or two who end the season being among the best in the nation.  Under a I-AA playoff system, those type of teams get more of a chance to prove it.  Under the current system, you are screwed unless you're a Notre Dame, a Michigan, a Southern Cal, or a Texas getting pimped by the media for inclusion in the BCS title game in spite of a loss.

For the reasons you mentioned in an earlier post, the I-AA system isn't perfect.  But it is far superior to a system that allowed a program that didn't even compete in its conference championship game a shot at the BCS Championship.

So you honestly think that a WVU team that was blown out by ACC runnerup VT should've been in the NC game over Texas or Southern Cal? 

DeltaBoy

This plan proves it can be done even on a large scale  The University Presidents and the NCAA need to get their collective heads out of their collective 6's and get us a real playoff system instead of this crap we have now.  NO ONE will convince me that USC would have beat Auburn a couple of years ago.  GIVE ME A PLAYOFF !!!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BigArkyintheRock

Look at 2003.

Several teams besides the top 4 deserved a shot at a National Championship that year.

The polls are very political and subjective. The top 4 ranked teams are not always the best 4 teams in the country.

A real playoff format allows the teams to actually settle it on the field, and not by some voter sitting at his desk filling out a ballot to decide who they think the top 4 teams are.

hawgabilly

Never work, BUT

ANYTHING that has the HOGS Beating
IOWA
OHIO ST.
NOTRE DAME
USC
and TEXAS in a row.

Can't be Bad.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: sooie dog on October 12, 2006, 01:45:52 pm

Post that 5 or 6 more times and maybe you will get you poi

16 just runs too long.

And please learn to use the quote function correctly, it is impossible to follow our discussion unless you know who posted what.

I cut out the other quotes to get to the point.   Rather than having 5 other post in the quote I wanted to single yours out. 
[/quote]You screwed it up badly.  It is unreadable now.

Ross U (HDHF)

Feralhog

A playoff that utilizes an invitation format will RUIN COLLEGE FOOTBALL!

BigArkyintheRock

I just found a good website on this. It has a 16 team playoff bracket for 2003. Not bad, but probably better if it was expanded to 32 teams so there would not have to be at large bids for some of the spots.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/

This would have been better than what happened that year.

Feralhog

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 01:51:05 pm
I just found a good website on this. It has a 16 team playoff bracket for 2003. Not bad, but probably better if it was expanded to 32 teams so there would not have to be at large bids for some of the spots.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/

This would have been better than what happened that year.

There are 116 teams in Div. 1 football.  Two losses for most schools would mean the death nail, and you'd have scores of schools have their season's be shot to hell before the middle of October.  It would ruin the game.

Feralhog

You guys can ignore the answer if you wish, but I'm moving on.  Maybe I can solve the mid east crisis now that I've solved College football's division one playoff.

BigArkyintheRock

A playoff would make the game better...much better. It would take more control out of the hands of the silly voters, and put more control in the hands of the teams that actually play the game.

As it is now, the voters decide who the top teams are. the top 10 right now is a very subjective ranking. It should be settled on the field in a playoff format. the more teams, the better.

4 is too little. 16 is better, but still allows for favorites to stay ahead of other teams that are probably more deserving.

64 would be too many. So that leaves 32 teams for the playoffs.

sooie dog

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 12, 2006, 01:48:16 pm
Quote from: sooie dog on October 12, 2006, 01:45:52 pm

Post that 5 or 6 more times and maybe you will get you poi

16 just runs too long.

I cut out the other quotes to get to the point.   Rather than having 5 other post in the quote I wanted to single yours out. 
You screwed it up badly.  It is unreadable now.
[/quote]

yep

hogfan064

Quote from: Feralhog on October 12, 2006, 01:59:20 pm
You guys can ignore the answer if you wish, but I'm moving on.  Maybe I can solve the mid east crisis now that I've solved College football's division one playoff.

You might have better luck getting Jews-and Muslims to agree than non playoff and playoff folks. 

BigArkyintheRock

Take the hunt for the national championship out of the hands of the voters, and let the teams settle it on the field in a playoff format!

A real playoff will happen one day. Too many flaws in the current system.

Poorboyjr

Let's be honest...

A 32-team playoff makes the Hogs a legitimate choice every year to make the tourney.

16? Maybe.

8?  No frickin' chance.

4?  Once every 30 years.

I would like to see a playoff....but the fatcats that run the college football world will never let it happen.

Wolfhound05

I'm down with the 32 team playoff.  Looks like you spent a lot of time working on that.  I love football!

BigArkyintheRock

Those fatcats will get a trimming when the playoff drum beat catches on. Until then, you are right, they pretty much have the playoff format in a deathgrip. But, over time, we'll get there.

It's Evolution.

Change can be a good thing.

Poorboyjr

I'm thinking Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, and USC fans like the 8-team playoff.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 12:56:38 pm
Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 12, 2006, 12:51:39 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 12:20:37 pm
Quote from: sooie dog on October 12, 2006, 12:16:53 pm
Quote from: RazorRedneck on October 12, 2006, 12:13:02 pm
I will agree that 32 teams is excessive, but I would go for a 8 or 16 team playoff.

Why is it excessive?  You would have a lot more meaningful games.  Once they go to a playoff format the bowls will be about like making the NIT. 

The regular season would become meaningless if there's a 32 team playoff.  Do you really want a 7-5 team playing for the NC?

How is a team with 5 losses going to make it all the way to the NC game in this 32 team playoff scenario? I'd say that would be highly unlikely...not impossible but very low chance of a 5 loss team suddenly kicking ass 4 straight games in 32 team playoffs.

If you don't think a 5 loss team could do it then why have a 32 team playoff?  Its not needed.  A 2-5 loss team didn't prove themselves in the regular season and don't deserve a chance at the NC

If that is supposed to be an answer to my question, you failed. I wasn't asking what teams deserve a shot at the NC. I asked how probable, if possible at all, is it for a 5 loss team to make it to the NC game in a 32 team playoff.

Besides, why do you not think it fair to have a 32 team playoff when college bball has a 64 team playoff?  Do you want to take away Villanova's NC in '85 just because they had 10 losses in a 34 game schedule?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Feralhog

It needs to be run through the BCS bowls, in conjunction with conference championship games.  There are too many teams in Div. 1 and there's no way in hell anybody would be for a system that had scores of teams season end there season before the 2nd week in October.

In the SEC, If there were a 32 team playoff, you would have 5 teams still alive and only 3 teams alive after this weekend.  That means 75% of the conference would have their games be meaningless after the 2nd week of October.  Yeah, that'll fly.

If you look at my solution where the conference championship is the first round game, there are currently 10 teams still alive.   Plus once the teams are eliminated from the conf. championship game, they still have the bowls. 

If you have a playoff, you can kiss the bowls goodbye because no bowl would be interested in having second rate teams matching up.

Now I'm going to go solve the middle east crisis.

BigArkyintheRock

The BCS Bowls (neutral sites) could host the semi-final and final games in Bracket 1 and Bracket 2.

The National Championship Game could then be played at one of the BCS Bowl sites or perhaps at an NFL Stadium on a rotating schedule.

BigArkyintheRock

If anyone thinks the current system is fine and/or a playoff format of more than 4 teams is not needed, then please check this out:

http://www.sportsfansofamerica.com/FansInAction/Football/playoffs1.htm

Do you still feel the same way? I just read it, and now more than ever, I want a playoff format!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Feralhog on October 12, 2006, 02:28:16 pm

If you have a playoff, you can kiss the bowls goodbye because no bowl would be interested in having second rate teams matching up.

Why do you think this? About 80% of all bowls now seem very interested and content to have 3rd and 4th rate teams: 6-5, 7-5, 6-6 teams. Why would they object to having "second rate" teams matching up in their bowls?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 12, 2006, 02:48:31 pm

Why do you think this? About 80% of all bowls now seem very interested and content to have 3rd and 4th rate teams: 6-5, 7-5, 6-6 teams. Why would they object to having "second rate" teams matching up in their bowls?
Considering we now have 32 bowl games (64 teams for the math impaired), most bowls are obviously matching up far worse than 2nd rate teams.  that is 64 teams out of 119, or more than half of D-1 playing in bowl games.  Considering the poor quality of even the lower Top 25 teams, the bowl system is a joke.

BigArkyintheRock

A 32 Team format would allow every conference champion a shot at the National Championship.
The current system does not. The way things are this year, if a small conference team like Boise State was to go undefeated, or say a team like Mizzou from the Big 12...should they run the table...those kind of teams will not be ranked #1 or #2 by the voters. The teams won every game and still got the shaft. They can't do any better than beat every team on their schedule and win their conference championship.

The current system is flawed.

HogNuttz

That is quite possible the worst format I have heard of yet for a football playoff.  8 teams is an absolute max and the whole odd and even thing is crazy.  Making it to, and playing in the national championship game would require 5 additional games.  They just need to take the 4 original BCS bowls + the new championship game and use them as the tournament games for a 6 team tourny. 
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

BigArkyintheRock

The regional site idea for hosting some of games is a good one to think about. All in all, it would probably allow the fans of the lower ranked teams a shorter travel distance, and take away the big home-field advantage.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HogNuttz on October 12, 2006, 03:05:47 pm
That is quite possible the worst format I have heard of yet for a football playoff.  8 teams is an absolute max and the whole odd and even thing is crazy.  Making it to, and playing in the national championship game would require 5 additional games.  They just need to take the 4 original BCS bowls + the new championship game and use them as the tournament games for a 6 team tourny. 

Get thee grammar and spelling lessons.

HogNuttz

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 12, 2006, 03:21:17 pm
Quote from: HogNuttz on October 12, 2006, 03:05:47 pm

Get thee grammar and spelling lessons.

Other than using possible instead of possibly, what is wrong with it?  Besides, I didn't realize this was the "Help with your spelling forum."  I think the idea is easily understood.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

hawgabilly

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 12, 2006, 02:51:03 pm
Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 12, 2006, 02:48:31 pm

Considering we now have 32 bowl games (64 teams for the math impaired), most bowls are obviously matching up far worse than 2nd rate teams.  that is 64 teams out of 119, or more than half of D-1 playing in bowl games.  Considering the poor quality of even the lower Top 25 teams, the bowl system is a joke.
What about the NIT didn't stop that when the NCAA's went to 64.