Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TOP 32 Ranked BCS Teams To Settle It On The Field For National Championship

Started by BigArkyintheRock, October 12, 2006, 12:07:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigArkyintheRock

Some good discussion on this topic today. +1 to everyone that participated.

I like the BCS Bowls in AZ (Fiesta) CA (Rose) LA (Sugar) and FL (Orange). By all means, keep them in the playoff.

The other teams that don't make the playoffs can play in their respective bowl games.

In addition to the BCS Bowl sites, to make travel a bit easier for some schools during the playoffs, and to help even out a home field advantage, one could use the BCS Bowl sites, plus add some sites like Minneapolis (Dome), Indianapolis (Dome), Atlanta (Dome), San Antonio (Dome), Dallas and/or Houston to the mix of possible regional playoff sites for the mid to late rounds of the playoffs.

The thing is, there are some good teams playing good football at the end of the year that are snubbed by the BCS during some years, and don't make it to the big games.

That's why I think we need more than just a playoff of the BCS Bowl game winners. What do the big guys have to lose by playing a lower ranked team in the playoffs? Money? Nah...big money can be pumped into the playoff system easily. Ratings would be HUGE.

I think one reason we don't have a playoff system for D1 college football is because the cats at the head of the line want to keep the status quo going. They like the way things are, snubbing out the little guy. They must be afraid to lose.

A real playoff of 32 teams is the ultimate equalizer to the games of politics and subjective opinion that floods the current poll/BCS system. Surely they can do better. A playoff greatly benefits a team like Arkansas. I guess that's why I like it so much. :)

WPS! :razorback:
And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

hogfan 4 life

The only way I see is to have the conference champion and the runner up to have automatic bids, with the champion getting a first round bye. Limit it to the 7 top conferences and 2 at large bids (notre dame) and someone else (Boise State). The Elite Eight would be played New Years Day and thus still keep the money making big bowls happy. This way the football purist would see which conference runner up team was better than a other conference champ(maybe). Just a idea that wouldn't happen for a long time.

Go Hogs

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: hawgabilly on October 12, 2006, 03:41:17 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 12, 2006, 02:51:03 pm
Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 12, 2006, 02:48:31 pm
Quote from: Feralhog on October 12, 2006, 02:28:16 pm

If you have a playoff, you can kiss the bowls goodbye because no bowl would be interested in having second rate teams matching up.

Why do you think this? About 80% of all bowls now seem very interested and content to have 3rd and 4th rate teams: 6-5, 7-5, 6-6 teams. Why would they object to having "second rate" teams matching up in their bowls?
Considering we now have 32 bowl games (64 teams for the math impaired), most bowls are obviously matching up far worse than 2nd rate teams.  that is 64 teams out of 119, or more than half of D-1 playing in bowl games.  Considering the poor quality of even the lower Top 25 teams, the bowl system is a joke.
What about the NIT didn't stop that when the NCAA's went to 64.
And everyone is soooooo excited to get their NIT invitations aren't they.

HogNuttz

Quote from: hogfan 4 life on October 12, 2006, 04:10:26 pm
The only way I see is to have the conference champion and the runner up to have automatic bids, with the champion getting a first round bye. Limit it to the 7 top conferences and 2 at large bids (notre dame) and someone else (Boise State). The Elite Eight would be played New Years Day and thus still keep the money making big bowls happy. This way the football purist would see which conference runner up team was better than a other conference champ(maybe). Just a idea that wouldn't happen for a long time.

Go Hogs
That still adds 4 games to the schedule for Championship participants, 3 games for an additional 2 teams.  I don't think that will ever happen unless conferences give up championship games, and that won't happen.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

enl35794

I figure eventually, not this year, maybe next, the NCAA will go to a "playoff" format, which is just the top 4 BCS teams, 1 and 4 play each other, 2 and 3, and the winners play for the title. Hopefully that happens, it would be the best way to really determine who is the best team, IMO.
"And I took the butcher knife and put it up to her neck. I said if you want to live to see tomorrow, you better start frying them eggs a little bit better than what you frying. I'm tired of eating sloppy, slimy eggs."

Jesco White

cardinalhawg

I like the 32 team format as well, and that is the number that I have envisioned as a good number.  I would not have it be based entirely on the top 32 BCS teams, because I would allow for some various conference champions to make the field.  I believe that the weaker conferences could have tie in games, where the winner of game between two conference champions makes the fields.  Still, I would want to make sure that the SEC and other big conferences get a number of teams in, with the teams from those conferences being better.

I think that with 32 teams, that whoever wins the tournament, deserves to be the National Champion regardless of won/loss record.  If one of those undefeated superpowers got upset in a game, then so be it, because if a 7-5 team made a run through a 32 team tournament, then they deserve to be national champions.  It would be much harder to pull this off in football, because scoring touchdowns can be much tougher, than getting hot from three point range and beating a higher ranked team in the NCAA college basketball playoffs.

I think that 4 or 8 teams is a way too short of a number, and leaves too much room for debate on who should be in the field.  A 16 team field is better, but I still like the idea of the 32 field as mentioned by the original poster of this thread.

Feralhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 12, 2006, 02:48:31 pm
Quote from: Feralhog on October 12, 2006, 02:28:16 pm

If you have a playoff, you can kiss the bowls goodbye because no bowl would be interested in having second rate teams matching up.

Why do you think this? About 80% of all bowls now seem very interested and content to have 3rd and 4th rate teams: 6-5, 7-5, 6-6 teams. Why would they object to having "second rate" teams matching up in their bowls?

Well, the bowl Match-ups starting with the 33rd best team in the country, ummm, I'm a college football junkie and it really doesn't matter to me if Colorado St. is playing ULM on blue turf, the day after Christmas.  I'll watch it.  But have that crummy of a match be a marquee game for say the Cotton Bowl, No thanks.  Having a playoff would turn the bowls into the equivalent of the NIT Tournament in Basketball.  If the playoff is run through the conferences via a championship game like I've been saying, it addresses just about every major issue.  Now excuse me while I finish my email to Moshe Katsav.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

AFWarrior83

I think each conference champion should do a playoff for the NC.

SEC vs Sun Belt
BIG 10 vs Independent
BIG 12 vs Conference USA

BIG EAST vs Mid American
PAC 10 vs Mountain West
ACC vs WAC

The winners play again, they should do the bracket based on SOS.
1 vs 6
2 vs 5
3 vs 4

all the way till it's the final 2!!
Hogville member since 2005.

Pork Twain

Top four is plenty...  Has the number five team EVER bitched because they thought they deserved a chance to play for the NC???
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/