Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Okay, Rumor time!

Started by Hogeye_Pierce, October 09, 2006, 01:41:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swynler Durden

I think there's a great deal to be said for the fact that he wants to call his own plays. He knows what is happening with the fan base and if he has the opportunity to go elsewhere with a fresh start and no forced hire OC, he'll at the very least give it a good hard look. Say what you will about the talent we have but the schedule gets tougher the next few years as well and HDN knows it.

Reb-87

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 09, 2006, 01:46:11 pm
Nutt won't leave for a few reasons

1) Mitch is a freshman, he wants to work with this man

2) DMac and Felix

3) He loves the helmet

4) He will be our next AD

couldnt have said it any better

Hog Fan 51

Yea we are stuck with him until Frank dies.
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

Factual Fiction

I heard he's looking at two options:
1. Head coach of the Cowboys
2. Take over the #6 car when Mark Martin retires......................................

mbgrulz

miami is reportedly a suck azz job as far as fan support and having a convinient stadium go. UF is dominating the talent pool right now and nutt loves the raahhh raaahh stuff too much to leave this small town that adores its razorbacks.

NC state may be unable to fire its coach if he keeps winning like he is right now. i like amato, and i hope he does well, but i dont think success on a BCS level is really feasable at NC State.

frank beamer took 8 years before he got VA Tech rolling, they wanted him fired before that. houston (without control of the offense) is the right guy for the job. i think a lot of people on here need to appreciate the work he is doing for this FB program and give him a little more support. he is passionate about the hogs, and you cant buy that. frank broyles may be old, but i will guarantee you that he has more football sense in his 80's than any of us have in our prime.  frank will keep HDN here if he has to, but i dont think he'll have to do any keeping.

pigfoot

Quote from: HawgBall06 on October 09, 2006, 01:59:23 pm

2) DMac and Felix

3) He loves the helmet

I believe you are correct.

2) DMac and Felix

3) He loves the helmet

I don't know about #1 and/or #2, but you could be right on with #3 and #4.  If we continue to have a good season, I don't think he will be going anywhere so long as he believes there is a shot at being AD.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

Richard_white

October 09, 2006, 05:01:22 pm #56 Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 05:04:23 pm by Richard_white
Quote from: pigfoot on October 09, 2006, 04:59:46 pm
Quote from: HawgBall06 on October 09, 2006, 01:59:23 pm

2) DMac and Felix

3) He loves the helmet

I believe you are correct.

2) DMac and Felix

3) He loves the helmet

I don't know about #1 and/or #2, but you could be right on with #3 and #4.  If we continue to have a good season, I don't think he will be going anywhere so long as he believes there is a shot at being AD.

If #4 happens I believe a certain booster will stop donating.  IMO

Pork Twain

Either way we win.  HDN does such a great job MANAGING this year that we are set for years to come.  Then he either leaves and we get a BD type of coach or he stays and Gus continues to grow.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

musiccityhog

I predict he will not go to NC ST , but to Chapel Hill instead. The reason that I think this is because all of this OC stuff has been forced on him, and if we win big this year Gus is getting most of the credit. Period!
Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on October 09, 2006, 01:41:42 pm
Hot off the rumor mill:

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Scroll down about a third of the way.

Pull quote: "Early word out of Arkansas is that Coach Houston Nutt -- who led the Razorbacks' to a 27-10 thrashing of No. 2 Auburn today -- has elevated himself to being one of the prime candidates for upcoming head coaching vacancies after the 2006 season -- especially those expected at Miami, N.C. State (which we first reported several weeks ago) and Mississippi State."

Wooo Hooo!!!  Best news I've heard today!!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

HogDodging

He wouldn't last more than one season at Miami.  That program has expectations never dreamed of at Arkansas.  8-3 or 8-4 doesn't cut it there.  They'd bust their Nutt and get a good coach.
I can see Nutt thriving at Mississippi State.  Their expecations are even lower than Arkansas'.  He delivers exactly what is expected of him, as long as it's not too much.
NC State?  Hmm.  He might do well for two or three years, but that's all.

PiggyBack

Quote from: Hawgasaurus on October 09, 2006, 02:18:41 pm
Nutt is on a gravy train with biscuit wheels, ain't no way he's jumpin' off now... Unfortunately...

Nice Buck Strickland reference there.....
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

The real Hogules

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 09, 2006, 01:43:52 pm
Quote from: Count_Porkula on October 09, 2006, 01:43:13 pm
This is believable, but why go to those schools?

We need to lock Coach Nutt into a long term, lucrative contract. He should be one of the top 5 highest paid coaches in the college ranks.
Drop the crack pipe and slowly back away!

A freaking men!
We can only hope that the Hogs continue to win and HDN's rep. continues to grow and HDN's head continues to swell until he starts believing ALL of this B.S. and does us a big favor and jumps ship!
His team wins ONE SINGLE GAME in THREE years that they are expected to lose and that somehow transforms Nutt into a prime candidate for Miami and NC State?
Talk about going from the hot seat to hot commodity!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

gopigsgo

Actually you can IM me and I can get you a bed in a facility fairly fast, probably 4 to 24 hours but you must not have recently hit the pipe and you must throw it down up the street somewhere. God grant me the serenity .....

dbaileyway7

Quote from: williamsB on October 09, 2006, 03:36:08 pm
Can not blame HDN if he tells us to stick it after what I have seen here and if Shula gets thumped by Tenn and Auburn, I believe Alabama would LOVE coach Nutt (since he beat them and Auburn)
I hope you are right.

WoooPigSooie

October 09, 2006, 06:18:56 pm #65 Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 09:06:21 pm by WoooPigSooie

We need to lock Coach Nutt into a long term, lucrative contract. He should be one of the top 5 highest paid coaches in the college ranks.

You been main-lining kool-aid??
"The Heisman is supposed to define college football's most outstanding football player.

I saw him here Saturday night. Darren McFadden."

EastexHawg

There is absolutely no way he goes to Miami...for two reasons:

1.  Miami would never hire him.  Their fans would burn the athletic offices to the ground if they hired a coach who was 5-6 and 4-7 the last two years (before this one)
2.  Nutt would never go there because he knows he couldn't get away with eight years and no conference championships at Miami.  He knows that not only would 6-6, 7-5, 9-5, 9-4, 5-6, and 4-7 not cut it there...but that he would never get the chance to get to the 5-6 and 4-7 part of that sequence at Miami.  He would be fired within three years if he went 6-6, 7-5, and 9-5 with the 'Canes.

grego5075

Before we start singing HDN praises lets play the rest of the schedule and base his sainthood on the last 8 years not one game. I can't see him as a AD when so many really think hes more suited for band director.

Hognoxious

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 09, 2006, 02:06:11 pm
1. Mitch has expressed absolutely no desire to work with Dale.  He came here because Gus was hired as the OC.

When was this?
Is there a source better than a "sister of a cousin"?

WilsonHog

Everyone back slowly away from the ledge.

We still have two outstanding teams to play in Tennessee and LSU and a pretty good one in South Carolina.

We have a land mine game coming up against Ole Miss. All of the good that was done last weekend would be completely reversed with a loss at home to a bad Ole Miss team.

Now, I think we'll beat the two chumps, plus Ole Miss, Carolina, and Mississippi State. Then again, I was sure, as many of you were, that we would beat Vanderbilt at RRS last year.

There are no gimmees in the SEC.

I believe Nutt will be back next year if he wants to be. He may not want to be. He understands as well as anyone that he is on an extremely short leash. I'm reminded of a quote from Kenny Hatfield after he left for Clemson on the heels of consecutive 10-win seasons and SWC Championships. When asked why he left, Hatfield said, Because I knew that I would be fired the first time I went 7-4."

That's the nature of coaching; it's a "what have you done for me today?" business. The truth of the matter is that HDN has been here for nine years and, as the old saying goes, "Familiarity breeds contempt." We could go 9-3 this year, and the first time we play badly and lose next year it'll be like this year never happened.

That's coaching.

94 Hawg

I'll wager all my earthy possessions and future earnings that Nutt will NOT be the HC at Miami next year.

that's just stupid.
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Talon

We need to lock Coach Gus into a long term, lucrative contract. He should be one of the top 5 highest paid coaches in the college ranks.

There you go Count.  I fixed it for you.  We all make typos sometimes.

HOGBLOODED

He WON"T go to Miami, he WILL stay here for a few more years. We're ranked and he hasn't done anything to deserve the blame

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Hognoxious on October 09, 2006, 08:16:26 pm
1. Mitch has expressed absolutely no desire to work with Dale.  He came here because Gus was hired as the OC.

When was this?
I'd have to say his decision to not honor his commitment at Arkansas followed by his decision to come after all when Gus was hired is all we need to verify this one.  But I know logic and reason don't work for some posters.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: BILLYBOB on October 09, 2006, 03:28:13 pm
He will leave at the end of this season.  Book it.  He's gone.

FREE ADVICE.............. Don't write a check your butt can't cash...........

msudawgs64

Quote from: Deep Shoat on October 09, 2006, 05:31:31 pm
I can see Nutt thriving at Mississippi State.  Their expecations are even lower than Arkansas'. 

not true..our expectations are always high but then reality sinks in.  Truth be told, I expect us to compete in every game and win so don't confuse expectations with actual results.  Arkansas fans expect to win the SEC and go to a BCS bowl and compete for the NC every year, correct?  Every fan of every SEC school does, it may be a pipe dream but that is what expectations usually end up as anyway.

BTW, there is no opening at State unless Croom resigns.  He is on contract until 2008 and unless someone steps up and buys out his contract, he ain't going anywhere via a firing so this is really a rumour.

Also if Nutt cannot recruit here, only going by what I have read on this board about his recruiting, ain't no way in hell he will thrive as the hc at State, he has to compete with another SEC in state school plus Bama about 60 miles away and Southern Miss. He would have to work his butt off on the trail there. 
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

chromehog

rumor notshavin replaces nutt as headcoach.

Adrenaline_Junkie

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 09, 2006, 01:43:52 pm

Drop the crack pipe and slowly back away!

holy darn that's hillarious

Adrenaline_Junkie

Quote from: Hog1961 on October 09, 2006, 09:13:33 pm

well said

chromehog

you need to turn me on to your dealer cus I got to have some of that!!!

wallyhog

Interesting that most football people in the country consider Nutt to be a very good coach but he hogland he sucks. Just plain interesting.

Wooisme

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 09, 2006, 07:13:56 pm

1.  Miami would never hire him.  Their fans would burn the athletic offices to the ground if they hired a coach who was 5-6 and 4-7 the last two years (before this one)
2.  Nutt would never go there because he knows he couldn't get away with eight years and no conference championships at Miami.  He knows that not only would 6-6, 7-5, 9-5, 9-4, 5-6, and 4-7 not cut it there...but that he would never get the chance to get to the 5-6 and 4-7 part of that sequence at Miami.  He would be fired within three years if he went 6-6, 7-5, and 9-5 with the 'Canes.

East is, of course, correct.  But the riots in Miami at the prospect of a Nutt hire might be offset by the non-stop celebrations at Florida State,  Clemson, Georgia Tech & many other ACC sites.  After all, folks do like a party. 
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: wallyhog on October 10, 2006, 06:11:28 am
Interesting that most football people in the country consider Nutt to be a very good coach but he hogland he sucks. Just plain interesting.
I think the talk of HDN as a good coach is mainly a media driven phenomenon.  Read the MBs of other SEC teams, or teams that are rumored as HDN destinations.  They don't consider him a good coach anymore than we do.  The national media buys into the "more with less" theory.  We know better.

wallyhog

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 10, 2006, 08:09:19 am
Quote from: wallyhog on October 10, 2006, 06:11:28 am
I think the talk of HDN as a good coach is mainly a media driven phenomenon.  Read the MBs of other SEC teams, or teams that are rumored as HDN destinations.  They don't consider him a good coach anymore than we do.  The national media buys into the "more with less" theory.  We know better.
Yes message boards are certainly where all the knowledge lies, Lord where is the sarcasm tag when I need it!!!!!

PulledPork

wally, your time is better spent fighting with Fatty.  Since when did the media now everything about who is good and who is not?

Pulled out...®

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hognoxious on October 09, 2006, 08:16:26 pm

When was this?
No joke...Mitch was firmly commited to the Hogs until Wittke was let go.  Losing the QB coach is a big deal but that's ok because I think we upgraded both OC and QB coach.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Idahog

3.5 million reasons to finish out '07 for HDN.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

hogfan064

Quote from: Wooisme on October 10, 2006, 06:52:20 am
Quote from: EastexHawg on October 09, 2006, 07:13:56 pm

East is, of course, correct.  But the riots in Miami at the prospect of a Nutt hire might be offset by the non-stop celebrations at Florida State,  Clemson, Georgia Tech & many other ACC sites.  After all, folks do like a party. 

Miami doesn't have fans.  The only games they sell out are against FSU or another school like Clemson that will bring 20,000 with them.  The fans in the stands that do pull for Miami are all bandwagon jumpers who go to the games as something to do.   While Miami is a great CFB program, the rabid fan support doesn't exist.  Yes, you do have a few select fans that have $$$ and can be vocal, but if Miami isn't doing good few care.  They just go to the beach or play golf.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Count_Porkula on October 09, 2006, 02:00:02 pm
Uh, if we hired a new coach (lord forbid) and NewCoach told Mitch, "Well boy, we're going to run the option from here on out. Hope you like the scout team." I don't think I'd blame him for finding a place he'd have a chance to play.

I'm pretty sure neither Barry Switzer or Ken Hatfiled are in line to be our next coach.  :D

bill_bakerDW

Is it really possible to judge Nutt's future on ONE victory?  I'll agree it is a pretty important one, but we really can't start talking about salary increases, possible coaching changes, or anything like that until the end of the season.  If we win out (which does include SC, Tenn, and LSU AND then SEC champ game), then yes, let the rumors fly.  But until then we wont know if we are really heading in the right direction or if we just beat an "off-week" Auburn team.

WILL CLINTON

Free advice........Use the correct terminology when trying to OWN a poster.  I believe it's "Don't let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash."

I don't think I have ever seen as much hugging as I have on this thread.  It is almost nauseating.  I don't remember who the poster was who said it best, but huggers want to keep Nutt because of this one game, but don't understand how we want him fired for years of screwups. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

OnYourToes

Quote from: dubyacee on October 10, 2006, 10:00:06 am

Free advice........Use the correct terminology when trying to OWN a poster.  I believe it's "Don't let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash."

IMHO
The quote from TOP GUN is,
"Your ego's writting checks your body can't cash."
If that's what your reffering to.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

ScottS

2) DMac and Felix

3) He loves the helmet

No way on number 4. Terry Don Phillips will be the next AD.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: OnYourToes on October 10, 2006, 10:07:05 am
Quote from: dubyacee on October 10, 2006, 10:00:06 am

IMHO
The quote from TOP GUN is,
"Your ego's writting checks your body can't cash."
If that's what your reffering to.

Not what I was referring to.  I have never and will never see the movie that is Top Gun. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

hogfan064

Quote from: ScottS on October 10, 2006, 10:18:22 am

2) DMac and Felix

3) He loves the helmet

No way on number 4. Terry Don Phillips will be the next AD.

Why would TDP leave Clemson for Arkansas?  Clemson is about to make a great run in football, is improving in basketball, and has always been a power in baseball.  He's got a rabid fanbase that isn't afraid to spend its $$$

Snouty

No doubt the Auburn win is huge for the Razorbacks, and maybe huger for Houston Nutt.   However, it is only one win.   We have seven regular season games to go, plus, in all likelihood, a bowl game.   If the coaches can get the team up for every game the rest of the year and we win, I believe HDN will get a free pass for another 3 seasons or so.  

If we go 10-2 or 9-3 and either win or play respectably in a bowl game, IMHO Nutt's got a pass for the next two seasons, anyway.  Barring injury, Mitch should be better next year and even better the year after that, and McFadden & Jones have to remain one more year.   McFadden doesn't strike me as one who will choose a college degree and a senior season over megabucks.  [Can't say I would, either.]

If Nutt has several 11+ win seasons over the next few years, it seems to me that Arkansas would have to offer him the athletic director's job.

On the other hand, I just can't see Nutt doing a Joe Pa or Bobby Bowden and staying here for 40 years.

MHHog

Did anyone else notice that on the Heisman List it had Kenny Irons as like 2nd for recieving votes and DMac wasn't even on there?

OKhogfan1959

I have no idea what Nutt will do? If this season ends up being a 9-10-11 win season he will probably try to get something like a longer contract or more money. I have no problem if he produces the rest of the season and we look like we're getting the passing game going. If heshops around again he needs to get out and get out quick! I have had enough of his looking around!

We have Mitch, DMac, Jones, Monk and lots more coming back if he wants to look then fine..Just don't come back to Hogland..

Hog Fan 51

They don't run the ball at Miami, but MIS STATE WOULD BE A GOOD FIT.
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

NEAHawgfan

Leave Arkansas and go to Mississippi State? That would be a great career move. Ohhhhhh, maybe then we could get Croom! It'd be just like the Hatfield Danny Ford fiasco. :puke: