Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auburn fans comparing Dmac to Bo Jackson...

Started by clemensrules01, October 09, 2006, 12:10:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on October 10, 2006, 06:30:43 pm
Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 09, 2006, 04:24:54 pm
I read somewhere that Adrian Peterson is a high 4.5 guy. If that is the case, it may explain why NFL scouts would pick DMac over him.

Peterson ran a 4.37 in the preseason OU camps.

Dmc is very very good but IMO he's not as good as AP......yet.
Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the country,  DMac is the best back in the SEC.  The drop off is quite a bit further than most here will credit.  AP is the next Walter Payton.  DMac is the next Eddie George.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 09, 2006, 12:26:43 pm
Felix=All American Potential

DMac=All decade potential

Kenny Irons=System RB and a potential 3rd round NFL pick.  Will be forgotten and become another Madre Hill.  Except Hill has class

Who knows what Madre might have been without the knee injuries. He is a class act.

I will go back a little farther -------> DMac reminds me a lot of O.J. the way he patiently waits for the hole and then blows into it. Felix migh be compared to a Marcus Allen in that he is not the bruiser DMac is but dang, he can come up with the yards when you need them.

This season suddenly has become a lot more fun!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

rlamb

McFadden is more like the Great Jimmy Brown who most on here are
too young to really remember. He was the greatest football player of time and McFadden runs a lot like Brown and everyone is forgetting like Bruce James recently said, he's got the best stiff arm in football, pro or college!

whatsshakinbacon

DMac has the unique combination of size and speed, with a dash of acceleration and cutting ability, that will make him an All Pro back on down the road.  Mark my words when I say we've not seen this "total package" running back on the hill, maybe ever.

What we don't need to do is overuse him in some of these gimmes coming up.  Save him and keep him healthy and strong for the games that will be close.

Malzahn is just now getting a handle on what all he can do, and I suspect that you'll see him emerge as a Heisman candidate in 2007...possibly the frontrunner for what will prove to possibly be a great swan-song season for him.

I like playas who only plan on being Hogs for 3 years...we need more of them.

Bacon out...

sooielord

When you consider the injury, and the speed of recovery (wouldn't most agree that an injury such as the one DMac had would end most backs careers?), there is almost something super natural about this guy in the same thread of a Lance Armstrong-type athlete. 

Except, of course, Armstrong is a prick.  From Austin.

Seriously, I think DMac's potential is clearly unlimited.  Every week, I think to myself, "what's he going to do this week?"

zwhogfan

D-Mac and Jones are both great backs. D-Mac is definitely one of the best in the nation, but he is more of a traditional back than is Felix Jones. D-Mac is more in the mold of a Bo Jackson or a Herschel Walker. Felix Jones is, if I may say, a poor man's Reggie Bush. I don't know if he will ever be as good as Bush but he does the same type of things for us and is a threat every time he touches the ball, just like D-Mac. With both of them on the field at the same time it creates havoc for opposing defenses and I have no doubt that if they stay healthy, then before all is said and done, they will possibly be considered one of the greatest 1-2 punches of all time. I will say right now that IMO, they are better than the Cadillac/Ronnie Brown backfield Auburn had a few years ago. Both of those guys were good players, but IMO they were both overhyped.

Candon Bolinger

enl35794

I'll make one statement that means absolutely nothing. Bo Jackson is my favorite athlete of all time, any sport. The guy was incredible. He was a stud in baseball. A stud in football. That doesnt happen. People dont excel in two pro sports. Some play two, but nobody is that good in both. I love me some Bo Jackson and the sports world lost a great one when he got injured and wasn't ever Bo agaiin.

DMac could be somethin real special when its all said and done. Will he ever surpass Bo, doubtful, but who knows.

Cedric Cobbs was awesome. Cedric Cobbs still could be awesome if he'd stay healthy, or just play though it. I thought he might finally get his shot this year at Denver. Negative. Cedric can play. Always could. He was going to be one of the very best backs Arkansas had ever seen, but the injuries changed him. But he still has it in him. I'm still a major fan and I'm still pullin for him.
"And I took the butcher knife and put it up to her neck. I said if you want to live to see tomorrow, you better start frying them eggs a little bit better than what you frying. I'm tired of eating sloppy, slimy eggs."

Jesco White

Vito Porkleone

Phil Mickelson is the new Nuke LaLouche - million dollar swing; ten cent head...

arkjay19

McFadden needs to stay away from off the field issues, minor or not because everything he does is amplified and publicised.  Just like they said the future is his for the taking.

whatsshakinbacon

Rzrbckr

Quote from: Vito Porkleone on October 10, 2006, 07:59:26 pm
Just to remind you guys where the bar is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NooANnr23e8&NR
Haven't seen those in a while. Reminds me why i liked him so much back in the day.

LRPig

WOW!  That man had some awesome breakaway speed and power.  Almost forgot how good he was.

Mordekai

Great to have a debate on whether our not D-Mac is comparable to Bo. 

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Mordekai on October 10, 2006, 09:14:23 pm
Great to have a debate on whether our not D-Mac is comparable to Bo. 
DMac is probably more comparable to Eric Dickerson, although he has a long way to go in either case.  He certainly has talent, but I'll need a bit more evidence before I crown him.

enl35794

Bo was definitely the greatest pure athlete pro sports has ever seen.
"And I took the butcher knife and put it up to her neck. I said if you want to live to see tomorrow, you better start frying them eggs a little bit better than what you frying. I'm tired of eating sloppy, slimy eggs."

Jesco White

Brand X Hog Fan

Now how did I know that Seattle clip would be in there?

Bo Jackson's "Tunnel run"

Dave Krieg's 7 fumbles in a game

Derrick Thomas's seven sacks of Dave Krieg in one game

Its fun to be a Seahawks fan! Any chance D-Mac will go to Seattle?
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

dewayne

Quote from: r-neezy on October 10, 2006, 06:09:17 pm
[quote ]
McFadden made that one long run pretty much with the whole AU defense either running the wrong way, blitzing or standing around playing tag. He's good, and will probably will get better. He ended up with about 150 yards yesterday. That little running back for Northern Illinois could have run for that much against our defense yesterday.

Bo would have had 4 or 5 TDs and about 250 or 275 yards against our defense yesterday. Bo has no equal.

who remembers tally runnign for 250 yards against auburn..what..3 or 4 years ago?

clemensrules01

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on October 10, 2006, 09:36:15 pm

i dont think so. unless seattle does horrible in two years.  he will be a top 5 pick, seattle wont have a shot at him.

maybe felix jones will go to seattle. that'd be sweet.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: clemens on October 10, 2006, 10:50:03 pm
Quote from: Seahawk4ever on October 10, 2006, 09:36:15 pm

i dont think so. unless seattle does horrible in two years.  he will be a top 5 pick, seattle wont have a shot at him.

maybe felix jones will go to seattle. that'd be sweet.

I figured someone would say, "Sure, he'll be in Seattle every time the Rams come to town, running down the Tunnel just like Jackson and the Raiders."

D-Mac is gonna be a great one, probably beyond compare.

GuvHog

Quote from: cubbie on October 09, 2006, 04:08:25 pm
Jones can out run D-Mac. I would be close but jones is faster.

DMac has the faster 100 meter time.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

SwinerBock

With all due respect, AP and DMac are slightly different runners.  AP is more physical, while DMac is a tad faster.  AP still has speed, and DMac can still mix it up, but that is not their main strength.

For what it is worth, AP has yet to have a carry over 37 yards this season.  DMac has popped two 60+ runs this year.  AP is toting the rock 28 times per game, DMac 20.  Yet both are hitting around 5.0+ yds/carry.

Ahenso

Now how could you possibly know that cubbie.  Have you personally seen them race a 100 meter dash.  They are probably the same speed.  And Dmac is much stronger

werehog

The best back since Barry Sanders is Reggie Bush. Reggie is gifted in every face of the game. What he can do that backs like even Bo Jackson couldn't do is change both pace and direction. He also has great hands. It may surprise most on this board but Reggie Bush is 6-1, 205. That is very close to DMac. LenDale White when in shape is a tall 6-2 in stocking feet and very solid 230-235.

What Reggie Bush can do is only approached by a handful of players who ever played the game. At USC, with its continuing tradition of fab tailbacks that goes back as least as far as Jaguar Jon Arnett, Only O.J. compares with him. The Juice ran on a world record setting 400-meter relay team and ran the 100 meter and sometimes 200 meter sprints while at USC. Bush isn't quite as fast but consistently runs 4.25 - 4.28 forties. Bo Jackson had that kind of speed but he couldn't begin to weave in and out of tacklers like Bush.

Looking at the modern history of the NFL, very few backs had the broken field running ability of Bush. Sanders, Hugh "The King" McIlhenny and Gayle Sayers are the ones that come quickly to mind. DMac is a very good running back but we need to wait a few years before we call him great.

Chief Mac

Quote from: werehog on October 11, 2006, 03:00:55 am
The best back since Barry Sanders is Reggie Bush. Reggie is gifted in every face of the game. What he can do that backs like even Bo Jackson couldn't do is change both pace and direction. He also has great hands. It may surprise most on this board but Reggie Bush is 6-1, 205. That is very close to DMac. LenDale White when in shape is a tall 6-2 in stocking feet and very solid 230-235.

What Reggie Bush can do is only approached by a handful of players who ever played the game. At USC, with its continuing tradition of fab tailbacks that goes back as least as far as Jaguar Jon Arnett, Only O.J. compares with him. The Juice ran on a world record setting 400-meter relay team and ran the 100 meter and sometimes 200 meter sprints while at USC. Bush isn't quite as fast but consistently runs 4.25 - 4.28 forties. Bo Jackson had that kind of speed but he couldn't begin to weave in and out of tacklers like Bush.

Looking at the modern history of the NFL, very few backs had the broken field running ability of Bush. Sanders, Hugh "The King" McIlhenny and Gayle Sayers are the ones that come quickly to mind. DMac is a very good running back but we need to wait a few years before we call him great.

Actually, Bush is 6-0, 203 according to the Saints Official site.  He looks more like 5-10 to me.  DMAC is looks a legit 6-2. 

But that's all beside the point.  Bush is a rare player.  He and DMAC are two totally different type players.  Dmac is a running back, a great running back.  Bush is not in any mold and shouldn't be pigeon holed into any position.  The guy is a great football player.

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

chillinhoggie

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 09, 2006, 12:26:43 pm
Felix=All American Potential

DMac=All decade potential

Kenny Irons=System RB and a potential 3rd round NFL pick.  Will be forgotten and become another Madre Hill.  Except Hill has class
Brilliant^^^^^^^

Count_Porkula

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 10, 2006, 06:37:43 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on October 10, 2006, 06:30:43 pm
Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 09, 2006, 04:24:54 pm
I read somewhere that Adrian Peterson is a high 4.5 guy. If that is the case, it may explain why NFL scouts would pick DMac over him.

Peterson ran a 4.37 in the preseason OU camps.

Dmc is very very good but IMO he's not as good as AP......yet.
Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the country,  DMac is the best back in the SEC.  The drop off is quite a bit further than most here will credit.  AP is the next Walter Payton.  DMac is the next Eddie George.

Wow. Savor the flavor, we agree on this.

Peterson is probably the next Jim Brown. DMac is the next Jamal Lewis.

THHAWG

Have you guys actually watched Saints games?  I watch them every week.  Reggie is a very gifted athlete but he is rarely turning the corner iagainst NFL defenses and has not yet proved he can run between the tackles.  Where he has been a huge assett is as a receiver, out of the backfiled and out wide.  He is getting about 10 catches and 70 yds a game and helps keep the chains moving.  Deuce is an NFL back and is seriously underrated.  NFL defenses are too fast even for Reggie.  At that level you have to make you living between the tackles.  D-Mac has the size for this.  Only complaint tih D-Mac is that he needs to let the play develop a little bit.  He often hits the line before holes have opened up.

chillinhoggie

So I was youtubing Bo Jackson and came across the 83 Auburn Alabama game and I swear Frank Broyles is doing the color commentary... I know he used to do that but I didn't know what years.... and I've never heard him   anyone have a clue if it's him? The video and audio isn't that great but it sure sounds like him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ygJzg71e4Y
I tried to provide a link I'm not sure if it will work but if you youtube Bo Jackson it's not that hard to find.

werehog

Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch are the best two running backs in college football this season and Cal's Justin Forcette may be #3. DMac is certainly in the top five, but I'm not sure he is any better than the kid from Nothern Illinois.

snag

Quote from: clemens on October 09, 2006, 12:56:18 pm
Quote from: Count_Porkula on October 09, 2006, 12:48:39 pm
Look, I said he's the best back in the sec.

I'm just not ready to declare him the next Jim Brown yet.

As far as what's been done on the field, he's still behind Reggie and Adrian. He still has a lot of college ahead of him though. I think he would probably draft in the first 3 rounds if he went out this year and he's way better than Cobbs was.
mcfadden is a top 10 NFL pick. book it.

I agree. If they held the draft TODAY, McFadden would be top 10.

Root Hog

Quote from: clemens on October 09, 2006, 02:36:06 pm
Quote from: Root Hog on October 09, 2006, 01:19:38 pm
Quote from: joedirt on October 09, 2006, 12:24:31 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on October 09, 2006, 12:13:07 pm
Thanks.  I agree with them.  I also wouldn't put Felix far behind him, and to have both in the same backfield is just awesome.

I like Felix too and think he's a great back, but sometimes it just seems like he has 1 speed and it isn't very fast.  May be deceiving, I don't know.  I notice it more in kick off returns, and he seems to go down on the first hit whereas McFadden bowls over a few people before going down.

Not sure what you are watching.  Couple of facts for you:

1.  Felix gets 3 more yards than DMac does every time he carries the ball.  
2.  Felix Jones is the First Team All America Kick Returner.
not sure what your watching:

1. felix ALMOST ALWAYS has a bigger whole than dmac because the defense is always keying in on dmac.
2. several of felix's big plays have been after fakes to mcfadden, which opened the defense up big time.
3. felix has gotten a lot of good ones, but he has yet to prove he can break the big one like dmac.
4. dmac was All-SEC 1st team in the preseason and will be in the postseason as well.
5. felix has not impressed as a kick returner this year.

IMO, #5 will change within the next three games.

Who owns the longest run from scrimmage for the Hogs in the last 30 years?  DMac?  Gary Anderson?  Talley?  Cobbs?  Barry Foster? 

Nope.  Felix Jones, 85 yards Saturday. 8)

clemensrules01

Quote from: Root Hog on October 17, 2006, 06:58:28 pm
Thanks.  I agree with them.  I also wouldn't put Felix far behind him, and to have both in the same backfield is just awesome.

I like Felix too and think he's a great back, but sometimes it just seems like he has 1 speed and it isn't very fast.  May be deceiving, I don't know.  I notice it more in kick off returns, and he seems to go down on the first hit whereas McFadden bowls over a few people before going down.

1. felix ALMOST ALWAYS has a bigger whole than dmac because the defense is always keying in on dmac.
2. several of felix's big plays have been after fakes to mcfadden, which opened the defense up big time.
3. felix has gotten a lot of good ones, but he has yet to prove he can break the big one like dmac.
4. dmac was All-SEC 1st team in the preseason and will be in the postseason as well.

Who owns the longest run from scrimmage for the Hogs in the last 30 years?  DMac?  Gary Anderson?  Talley?  Cobbs?  Barry Foster? 

Nope.  Felix Jones, 85 yards Saturday. 8)
haha. against SEMO. he also broke an 80 yarder against missouri state last year. dmac is out big play threat. he would have had a couple runs over 50 if he would have played a half against SEMO.

besides k-jack's interception return, dmac's touchdown run was the best of the night. he broke four tackles and stiff-armed one guy to the ground. felix wasn't touched. he had perfect blocking, as is to be expected against SEMO.

Root Hog

For those of you who like to make bold comparisons.  This video has Jim Brown, Bo, Dorsett, Emmitt, Sanders, Sweetness, and the greatest running back ever, Earl Campbell.    LANGUAGE WARNING : The first song in background is Rap and a little rough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdmxC1qB4hE

rlamb

Cubbie, since you are the one that laser timed Jones & McFadden,
Jones must run a sub-4.26 40 because that is what McFadden ran
in the Spring posted on this Board? Come back.

Hog Fan from Camden

I think one of this years potential recruits put it best, after watching the Auburn game.  "DMac and Felix are the truth!"

PORK CHOP

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on October 09, 2006, 12:34:32 pm
i believe ex-auburn coach pat dye made the same comparison last season.  he said mcfadden was the best freshman running back he had seen since bo jackson.

further praise last year...legendary georgia bulldog commentator larry munson said mcfadden was the best running back he had seen play in their stadium since herschel walker.

not only is mcfadden just a sophomore, but he's young for his age.  i believe he just turned 19 a month ago.

a young 19 year old thats classic

Bill CHILL

Just some more facts: Felix Jones had the longest run from scrimmage for any Razorback in almost thirty years. He's had numerous 90+ yard kickoff returns and quite a few hundred yard games on much fewer carries than Darren. Defenses don't forget about Felix just because McFadden is in. You seem to think that Darren is the sole focus of every defense our O faces. This is not true, but I'm glad you fall for that train of thought because it probably means others do as well. The person who posted in defense of Jones earlier had very good points. For those of you who read this, I'm not dumping on DMac. I'm just sick of people NOT talking about Felix, as if he's completely inferior to DMac. Sure he's not got the same features, but it's an 8.5 ypc versus a 5.5 ypc any way you slice it. DMac probably is the best back we have ever had, but if you think defenses don't prepare for Jones almost equally, you're blind. I'm going to research the both of their two year stats as Hogs and post them. Later!
You're born an original, so why die a copy?

clemensrules01

Quote from: Bill CHILL on October 18, 2006, 07:59:18 pm

Just some more facts: Felix Jones had the longest run from scrimmage for any Razorback in almost thirty years. He's had numerous 90+ yard kickoff returns and quite a few hundred yard games on much fewer carries than Darren. Defenses don't forget about Felix just because McFadden is in. You seem to think that Darren is the sole focus of every defense our O faces. This is not true, but I'm glad you fall for that train of thought because it probably means others do as well. The person who posted in defense of Jones earlier had very good points. For those of you who read this, I'm not dumping on DMac. I'm just sick of people NOT talking about Felix, as if he's completely inferior to DMac. Sure he's not got the same features, but it's an 8.5 ypc versus a 5.5 ypc any way you slice it. DMac probably is the best back we have ever had, but if you think defenses don't prepare for Jones almost equally, you're blind. I'm going to research the both of their two year stats as Hogs and post them. Later!
less carries in the first three quarters vs. more carries in the fourth quarter (last year) equals ypc for felix.

almost all of felix's big runs (with the exception of the run against the high school team last week) have been on end arounds and reverses.

im not dogging felix either. he is the third or fourth best RB we have had in the nutt era. dmac will go down as the best player of the nutt era or maybe any era.