Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The World of Beer

Started by Skillet79, January 28, 2011, 07:30:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Skillet79

Interested in starting something:  Since we (the Grunts, Jarheads, Squids and Flyboys) have been around this great blue/green rock, we have come, we saw, we drank and conquered.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but probably the greatest thing we could have taken from our excursions (beside the experience) is the vast variety of beer.  Your mission, should you choose to except, is list any brand beer you have ever had, weird or local or vomit-inducing or heavenly goodness as it was, post it.  This will definitely get my liver jumpin.  Later all.

linuspfs

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

ammohog

I had Turbourg over in Turkey.  That was some stout stuff. It wasn't regulated, but I think that's what made it more interesting. 
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

SteveInArk

Collected cardboard coasters in Germany over the years.  Though there are/were many great ones, these four sum things up for me.  All these logos are from '72-'86.

Top left:  My "home" beer while stationed at Ramstein.  Made in Pirmasens.  Used to say it was as smooth as ice cream.  Will always miss it. Braurei was bought out in recent years.  Don't know what it tastes like today or what the label looks like anymore.  Oh for a case of this stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
Top right:  If you spent any time in Frankfurt you had to have had Henniger. 
Lower left:  BBK, "Bad Bier of Kaiserslautern".  Not really, but BBK is to SW Germany what Henniger is to Frankfurt.  The local beer--but by no means a small braurei, one of the big boys.
Lower right:  Bitburger.  The club in Ramstein has some real rot-gut on tap (the Export style of my top left favorite).  2 to 3 of those and a guaranteed headache!  So ... long before PCS'ing to Ramstein I quit drinking that stuff and changed to bottles of Bitburger Pils at their bar.  It is now the only one I can get in the states that tastes the same. Not great and not smooth -- but great memories!

There are many better biers in Germany (save ParkBrau Pils).  But these summed up my times traveling through, and living in, the FRG.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Old Tusk

Let me addd a couple more German beers:

Kostritzer - an East German black lager
Weihenstephaner - Bavarian wiesin
Schneider - another wisen (probably the better of the two)
1878 - made by Kohrer dark lager my favorite beer

I'm getting thirsty.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

SteveInArk

Quote from: Old Tusk on February 01, 2011, 08:37:52 am

I'm getting thirsty.

Drank pilsner most of the time when there.  But whenever we went to Bavaria, the weizen beers were always the choice.  If we go to brew pub in the states now, and they have a weizen beer, glad to try it.  Great stuff.
;D

Surprised I never see any stateside bars that float that super thin, round slice of lemon on top of their draft weizen beers.  I know it kills the head, but that's not the big deal on wheat beers anyway.  They usually have the proper glasses, but never the lemon.  Guess they need a trip to Bavaria!  ;)
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Old Tusk

Don't forget to put a few grains of rice in the bottom of the glass.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Skillet79

SteveinArk: Good call on the Ol' Bitburger.  Summertime and 2 miles from the brewery was a blast of hops aroma greatness.

Old Tusk

Another fav is Heineken that you get in the Netherlands. Completely different than that found anywhere else,

Skillet79

February 03, 2011, 05:12:09 pm #9 Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:15:34 pm by Skillet79
Yuengling and Warsteiner both rock

Old Tusk

Yuengling is my favorite domestic beer, wish they had it here in arkansas. I have to import it from Memphis.

Shag66

Quote from: Skillet79 on January 28, 2011, 07:30:35 pm
Interested in starting something:  Since we (the Grunts, Jarheads, Squids and Flyboys) have been around this great blue/green rock, we have come, we saw, we drank and conquered.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but probably the greatest thing we could have taken from our excursions (beside the experience) is the vast variety of beer.  Your mission, should you choose to except, is list any brand beer you have ever had, weird or local or vomit-inducing or heavenly goodness as it was, post it.  This will definitely get my liver jumpin.  Later all.

I just made a beer rating thread in the Tav... 

I'd love to have some input from you guys that have been able to try much wider selections...

It is stickied at the top of the Tav..

Calvin N Hawgs

I'm getting thirsty.
Seconded!  Drank that almost exclusively while stationed at Rhein Main 1991-1995.  That is one best memories I have of that place.

On my birthday in 1992 (I was 27) all the teenage kids in the building I lived in in Dietzenbach bought me a case of Warsteiner and I HATED it...but they were so nice to do that for me that I drank it all.  I miss those kids!

cw2

The local town breweries in Germany were all awesome.  My personal favorite is made in the good ole US of A though.  It is called Southern Pecan, brewed by Lazy Magnolia Brewery in Kiln, MS.  They also make an awesome Ale called Indian Summer.

Murr

Quote from: Old Tusk on February 03, 2011, 10:57:30 pm
Yuengling is my favorite domestic beer, wish they had it here in arkansas. I have to import it from Memphis.

From Texas, I have to make a detour to either Memphis or Mobile to get my fix.  My neighbors and I throw Yuengling parties whenever one of us brings back a couple of cases home.  If only they had bought that brewery in Memphis instead of Coors.

H&D

Belhaven Best

Had this in Qatar, it was amazing.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

82abn Ard

Eichbaum from Mannheim Germany!

TexasTransplant

Tried Tiger Beer at the China Fleet Club while on R&R in Hong Kong.  Probably the worst I have ever tasted.

Ragnar Hogbrok

I guess I'm an anomaly.  I don't drink.  I've got nothing against it, but just choose not to.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

WaltKowalski

I never could get into it but the fruit infusion into a Pils was interesting. But banana and beer never did set right with me.

Hudge

The best thing  I have found in AK is their beer. Man, I love the beer here. Alaskan Winter is one of my favorites.

springs03

Been on this forum for a little over a year, mostly just reading...but i saw this and had to comment! One beer that stuck out for me is Carlsberg "Probably the best beer in the world"!

tiber

Quote from: TexasTransplant on November 11, 2012, 07:43:49 pm
Tried Tiger Beer at the China Fleet Club while on R&R in Hong Kong.  Probably the worst I have ever tasted.

Guess you never made it to Olangapo in PI.  You would have found a new low.  :)

Pretty sure they served us artificially flavored formaldehyde in a bottle.  Naturally we drank it. 

SteveInArk

Quote from: tiber on December 20, 2012, 06:47:47 pm
Guess you never made it to Olangapo in PI.  You would have found a new low.  :)

Pretty sure they served us artificially flavored formaldehyde in a bottle.  Naturally we drank it. 

Even San Miquel in the PI tasted like formaldehyde. Nasty stuff.

SC Hogfan

I'm getting thirsty.
Kostritzer is by far my favorite beer I've ever drank. Still looking for a US beer that compares...no luck yet!
American by birth.
Southern by the grace of God.
And a Razorback till I die.
WPS!

Blue35

Wow, I need a beer right now.

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on November 12, 2012, 07:31:02 pm
I guess I'm an anomaly.  I don't drink.  I've got nothing against it, but just choose not to.

I'm right there with you.  I've tried it and enjoy it very much.  Almost too much.  Add to that a high incidence of family members with alcoholism and I stay away.  However, I do enjoy an occasional Miller Lite after mowing the yard or gardening. 
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

porkskin

LightHog

old hog

Quote from: Old Tusk on February 03, 2011, 10:57:30 pm
Do wish they had this in Arkansas.

SteveInArk

Very good beer.  Lived in South NJ for 18 years .... needless to say you could get it on tap in lots of places.  Bottles everywhere.  Oldest son lives in Baltimore.  Usually the beer of choice while visiting there.