Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pat Dye on Condoleezza Rice: 'All she knows about football is what somebody told her'

Started by jbcarol, October 07, 2013, 04:25:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo 28m
Dear Pat Dye & other "formers", just because you played and coached doesn't make you smart or dumb. Just makes you a "former".

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/10/pat_dye_on_condoleeza_rice_all.html

After reports that former Secretary of State and Alabama native Condoleezza Rice would be a member of the upcoming College Football Playoff selection committee, several columnists and analysts criticized the choice, questioning Rice's football credentials.

"All she knows about football is what somebody told her," Dye said. "Or what she read in a book, or what she saw on television. To understand football, you've got to play with your hand in the dirt."

"I love Condoleezza Rice and she's probably a good statesman and all of that but how in the hell does she know what it's like out there when you can't get your breath and it's 110 degrees and the coach asks you to go some more?"

Dye also said that the he (sic) feels addition of Rice...

Seems like they are tore up about it. Dye also thought it might be more about Jimmy's and Joe's and less about X's and O's with Rice on the committee.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Vantage 8 dude

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm not a fan of Dye, never have been, but he does have a point here.  Who's next on the committee?  Donna Shalala?  Elton John?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 08, 2013, 02:48:43 pm
Yep, sounds like a great choice.  Politicians run things very well.

Please show us where she was ever elected to a political office. That's right you can't. Now if you think being politically connected then basically everyone that votes is politically connected. She is more of a scholar and academic person than a politician. 

Hoggie17

October 08, 2013, 03:55:54 pm #7 Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:07:45 pm by Hoggie17
The College Football Playoff selection committee will have Condoleezza Rice?  Interesting!

Fan1958

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 08, 2013, 03:55:54 pm
The College Football Playoff selection committee will have Condoleezza Rice.  Interesting!

Rip Van Winkle just awoke from his slumber.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

Hoggie17

Quote from: Fan1958 on October 08, 2013, 03:58:47 pm
Rip Van Winkle just awoke from his slumber.
I am still asleep, do not know her connection to football?

Fan1958

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 08, 2013, 04:02:08 pm
I am still asleep, do not know her connection to football?

None that I know but when did that ever stop a politician from stepping in something they know nothing about?  Come to think of it, isn't the selection all political anyway. 

BTW, I like her and think she was great in her role.  She will do OK.  She may be an expert for all we know.  She was a concert pianist before she got involved in politics.  I suspect she is more savvy than most people realize.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

Fayettechill14

She is extremely intelligent

She is a big fan of college football and follows it closely

She adds diversity, both gender and race

She has a different football background, so that the committee isn't all ADs, all former coaches, etc.

I don't mind her being on the committee at all. I'm glad they are mixing up the backgrounds of its members.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: Fan1958 on October 08, 2013, 04:08:56 pm
None that I know but when did that ever stop a politician from stepping in something they know nothing about?  Come to think of it, isn't the selection all political anyway. 

BTW, I like her and think she was great in her role.  She will do OK.  She may be an expert for all we know.  She was a concert pianist before she got involved in politics.  I suspect she is more savvy than most people realize.
If you can't drink a beer then scratch your nuts your opinion on sports does not matter. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

CDBHawg

razorson

She's a huge FB fan and a very smart women. She wanted to be NFL commissioner.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on October 08, 2013, 04:10:13 pm
If you can't drink a beer then scratch your nuts your opinion on sports does not matter.

Well then, I'm gonna nominate my Budweiser drinking pet squirrel.

The Artist Yo Huckleberry

Japs Bomb Pearl!

Oh, and this is ridiculous sorry polical bs joke to have her on this committee.

Hoggie17

Erin Andrews, many women that post on this board, my sister all know football. I just was never aware Ms Rice was into sports.

Fan1958

I don't know that doing either makes one's opinion relevant but based upon what I read on this board there are a boatload of folks who are beer drinkers and nut scratchers.

BatesvilleHOG

I have no kids, no wife, and few true friends. I love my country and college football dearly.. Condoleezza Rice has been instrumental in running this country into the ground the past decade. I dont want her breathing or thinking about college football. She's a poison

Fayettechill14

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 08, 2013, 04:17:33 pm
I have no kids, no wife, and few true friends. I love my country and college football dearly.. Condoleezza Rice has been instrumental in running this country into the ground the past decade. I dont want her breathing or thinking about college football. She's a poison

Is that what MSNBC told you?

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: Fan1958 on October 08, 2013, 04:16:48 pm
I don't know that doing either makes one's opinion relevant but based upon what I read on this board there are a boatload of folks who are beer drinkers and nut scratchers.
If you can't figure it out I can only assume you make really good sammiches.

The Artist Yo Huckleberry

How bout Oprah? George Clooney played a football player on e in "Leather Heads", why not him? Billy D Williams, anyone? How bout Ru Paul to represent the transgender community?

Good grief.

kodiakisland

Hey, If you love the choice and think she belongs on there, fine.  I don't.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 08, 2013, 03:55:54 pm
The College Football Playoff selection committee will have Condoleezza Rice?  Interesting!
I prefer Jasmine Rice, but I fail to see what this has to do with Football Playoffs.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Razorfox

I have no kids, no wife, and few true friends.

Why am I not surprised?

Fan1958

Go shoot a few hoops and have a smoke with your boy Barack Hussein Obama.  He ain't got nothing to do right now, apparently has few friends and his wife is on his case for smoking. 

At least he has been stopped, at least temporarily, from completely burying this country.

hobhog

Better than Pat Dye.

She should be fairly impartial. Most can't.

Fan1958

hogcoots

Condi Rice?  She will probably get confused and vote to bomb Syracuse.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Artist Yo Huckleberry on October 08, 2013, 04:15:57 pm
Japs Bomb Pearl!

Oh, and this is ridiculous sorry polical bs joke to have her on this committee.

well, you are an expert at bs, and your opinions are a joke, and most of your posts are ridiculousd,  so I guess in this rare instance you are an expert.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BatesvilleHOG

Quote from: Fan1958 on October 08, 2013, 04:23:14 pm
Go shoot a few hoops and have a smoke with your boy Barack Hussein Obama.  He ain't got nothing to do right now and has been stopped, at least temporarily, from completely burying this country.
Obama is not my boy. He is to this country what Harvey Updyke is to Toomers Corner. I don't understand why anyone with no knowledge of college football would even be a thought to place on this committee. Its a publicity stunt and is embarrassing to college football

Fan1958

Quote from: hogcoots on October 08, 2013, 04:30:04 pm
Condi Rice?  She will probably get confused and vote to bomb Syracuse.

At least she has enough sense to not make an off-the -cuff remark about Syria and let Mr. Pootin' steal her thunder and make her out be be a buffoon to the entire world.

Put ol' Barry in charge of it.  If it ends up like his Unaffordable Health Care Act, University of the South will be playing Slippery Rock in the MNC game.

Southern Hogspitality

So you are saying your opinion, doesn't matter?

hogcoots

Quote from: Fan1958 on October 08, 2013, 04:36:51 pm
At least she has enough sense to not make an off-the -cuff remark about Syria and let Mr. Pootin' steal her thunder and make her out be be a buffoon to the entire world.

Put ol' Barry in charge of it.  If it ends up like his Unaffordable Health Care Act, University of the South will be playing Slippery Rock in the MNC game.

I don't want "ol' Barry" or Condi selecting football teams.  You will find I am an equal opportunity hater of all politicians regardless of party affiliation.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: Rah! Rah! on October 08, 2013, 04:38:13 pm
So you are saying your opinion, doesn't matter?
I was clever and sexist all in one.  You failed at trying a 15 year old style retort.  I win. 

Hoggie17

Reading between the lines, I guess she is a politician.  Just have no interest in that subject.   

grayhawg

All Pat Dye knows is how much you pay a quarterback's dad so he will play for your school.

devildoghawg

Right, because our economic standing and college football have SOOO much in common.  If you really think that she knows nothing about College Football, I think you are a moron.  One of us is right, and one is wrong..pretty sure I'm not wrong.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

woopigsooie1222

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/BMOC131008/playoff-selection-committee-features-broad-diverse-national-minds

A woman named Condoleezza Rice has been added to the college football playoff selection committee.

I hate to come off as a sexist, but why on earth would you pick someone who has never coached, played, or been associated with football?

Just want to hear y'all's thoughts...
The South Will Rise Again!

devildoghawg

Quote from: woopigsooie1222 on October 08, 2013, 05:37:26 pm
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/BMOC131008/playoff-selection-committee-features-broad-diverse-national-minds

A woman named Condoleezza Rice has been added to the college football playoff selection committee.

I hate to come off as a sexist, but why on earth would you pick someone who has never coached, played, or been associated with football?

Just want to hear y'all's thoughts...

This has been discussed about 45 times already.  She probably has more knowledge about College Football than this entire board combined.  She is very intelligent when it comes to the game.  You also get the aspect of her having ZERO bias when it comes to selecting teams.  It is a brilliant choice, and just because you are a slack jawed mouth breather that hates women and kicks his dog when the Cowboys lose doesn't mean that a women isn't qualified to be on the panel.  Grow up and do some fact finding before you post this nonsense.
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HiggiePiggy

I think we should put your avatar in the committee.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: devildoghawg on October 08, 2013, 05:40:29 pm
This has been discussed about 45 times already.  She probably has more knowledge about College Football than this entire board combined.  She is very intelligent when it comes to the game.  You also get the aspect of her having ZERO bias when it comes to selecting teams.  It is a brilliant choice, and just because you are a slack jawed mouth breather that hates women and kicks his dog when the Cowboys lose doesn't mean that a women isn't qualified to be on the panel.  Grow up and do some fact finding before you post this nonsense.

Most recently a couple hours ago.  Everyone thinks they have breaking news and don't bother to scan even the front page.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=550278.0

HiggiePiggy

Just because people play the sport does not mean they will know more about picking between 4th and 5th place.  Look at MJ. Greatest basketball player.  One of the worst ever GMs. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

woopigsooie1222

Quote from: devildoghawg on October 08, 2013, 05:40:29 pm

1. I'm not on Hogville all day, I'm sorry I didn't see that this has been posted earlier.
2. I don't hate women, and I wasn't bashing her, I was just wondering what y'all thought about it. I know she is an incredibly successful woman and has done more in her life than I probably will, but I was just wondering why they would pick someone that has never been a part of football.
3. Before you go telling people to grow up, don't include "you are a slack jawed mouth breather that hates women and kicks his dog when the Cowboys lose" if you want to sound credible at all.

Thanks

B501

devildoghawg

Quote from: woopigsooie1222 on October 08, 2013, 05:45:35 pm
1. I'm not on Hogville all day, I'm sorry I didn't see that this has been posted earlier.
2. I don't hate women, and I wasn't bashing her, I was just wondering what y'all thought about it. I know she is an incredibly successful woman and has done more in her life than I probably will, but I was just wondering why they would pick someone that has never been a part of football.
3. Before you go telling people to grow up, don't include "you are a slack jawed mouth breather that hates women and kicks his dog when the Cowboys lose" if you want to sound credible at all.

Thanks

I don't need to be credible when you, the OP, starts his post with "A WOMAN" and then goes on about how you aren't sexist. 

woopigsooie1222

Quote from: b501 on October 08, 2013, 05:46:07 pm
obama must have lobbied for that one  ;)

Sadly, I actually thought it was Michelle Obama when I saw the picture. Then I read a different name and felt some relief.

devildoghawg

Quote from: b501 on October 08, 2013, 05:46:07 pm
obama must have lobbied for that one  ;)

Right, because she has such a huge affiliation with Obama's party.  You do realize she worked for the Bush Administration first right?