Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most underrated RB in Razorback history

Started by redleg, March 05, 2018, 03:17:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

So, who would make your personal Top 5 most underrated running backs in Hogs history?

1. Barry Foster - solid pro career, imagine the backfield Arkansas might have had in 1990 if Coach Hatfield had stayed...Foster at TB, Juju Harshaw at FB, Grovey at QB!
2. Oscar Malone - came close to 1,000 yards in 1996, second most productive Arkansas RB of the 1990s after Madre Hill. 12th in career rushing yards. Led team in rushing in 1993, 1994, & 1996. Too bad he wasn't healthy in 1995...a Madre Hill-Oscar Malone duo would have been formidable!
3. E.D. Jackson - over-shadowed early by Barry Foster and James Rouse. Solid starter at TB and FB for three seasons. Led team in rushing from 1990-1992. Edward Donald (Extremely Dangerous)!
4. Fred Talley - Led team in rushing from 2000-2002. 1,000 yard rusher and All-SEC in 2002!
5. Marshall Foreman - powerhouse RB in the mid-1980s. Led team in rushing in 1984.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

#1 STUNNA

If only Knile Davis could have stayed healthy.

Pudgepork

island hog

Quote from: redleg on March 05, 2018, 03:17:07 pm
So, who would make your personal Top 5 most underrated running backs in Hogs history?

1. Barry Foster - solid pro career, imagine the backfield Arkansas might have had in 1990 if Coach Hatfield had stayed...Foster at TB, Juju Harshaw at FB, Grovey at QB!
2. Oscar Malone - came close to 1,000 yards in 1996, second most productive Arkansas RB of the 1990s after Madre Hill. 12th in career rushing yards. Led team in rushing in 1993, 1994, & 1996. Too bad he wasn't healthy in 1995...a Madre Hill-Oscar Malone duo would have been formidable!
3. E.D. Jackson - over-shadowed early by Barry Foster and James Rouse. Solid starter at TB and FB for three seasons. Led team in rushing from 1990-1992. Edward Donald (Extremely Dangerous)!
4. Fred Talley - Led team in rushing from 2000-2002. 1,000 yard rusher and All-SEC in 2002!
5. Marshall Foreman - powerhouse RB in the mid-1980s. Led team in rushing in 1984.
Malone and Foreman are 1 and 1a... good list. 

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

redleg

Quote from: island hog on March 05, 2018, 03:24:54 pm
Thanks!
#1 STUNNA is right, if Knile Davis had stayed healthy for 2011, maybe the Hogs could have won another game!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Hawgboy64

Gary Anderson  was Arkansas's version of Gayle Sayers.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

mevskithog

Personally, I've never thought Dennis Johnson gets the credit he deserves.

Republican Lard

Letsroll1200

liljo

I think you have compiled a nice list. And I love the mention of Gary Anderson.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

PorkSoda

Quote from: mevskithog on March 05, 2018, 03:45:50 pm
my first thought, before his injury that caused knile to take over, he was on the verge of a breakout season.

his other problem was staying out of the dog house long enough to get carries.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LZH

Quote from: liljo on March 05, 2018, 03:52:36 pm
I think you have compiled a nice list. And I love the mention of Gary Anderson.

He was something to watch.

Calling All Hogs

This. Dennis ran crazy hard each play and often looked like a man against boys including when playing SEC teams like Florida.

PorkSoda

as an honorable mention, David Williams was underrated by everyone last year and ended up being our best back.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

mevskithog

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on March 05, 2018, 03:56:15 pm
This. Dennis ran crazy hard each play and often looked like a man against boys including when playing SEC teams like Florida.
We haven't had another kick returner like him since either.

Busta_Nutt

Peyton Hillis. He could do it all - solid back, punt returner, and great pass catcher...averaged nearly 7 yards per touch. Guy even made the cover of Madden for Pete's sake!

zebradynasty

Quote from: redleg on March 05, 2018, 03:17:07 pm

Pretty good list and I agree we never talk much about Barry Foster.

Nouston Hutt

TexHog188

I think McFadden was underrated.  Should have won 2 Heisman's.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

HogBreath

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on March 05, 2018, 03:43:47 pm
Gary Anderson  was Arkansas's version of Gayle Sayers.
It was Gale, not Gayle.  lol

I used to work with a crusty ole dude named Gale, he was uber sensitive about his name.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hawgboy64

Quote from: HogBreath on March 05, 2018, 05:13:23 pm
It was Gale, not Gayle.  lol

I used to work with a crusty ole dude named Gale, he was uber sensitive about his name.
You're right, I wish I could type as well as Gale ran.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

elksnort

I am not sure if he was under rated or not, but I really liked Ben Cowins.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: island hog on March 05, 2018, 03:24:54 pm

good call

and david williams of this last cursed year will soon be forgotten. he can be added to a similar list 10 years from now.
The rest of the frog.

GoHogs1091

Jeff Savage.

Savage was a big reason why we won at Knoxville, TN in 1992 during Joe Kines' interim tenure.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

supersaint

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 05, 2018, 05:37:27 pm
Jeff Savage.

Savage was a big reason why we won at Knoxville, TN in 1992 during Joe Kines' interim tenure.

Jeff was a freak of nature.  Struggled with injuries and grades.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

HogBreath

A healthy Jerry Eckwood would have won the Heisman.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Swestwill66

Steef

HogBreath

Quote from: tusked on March 05, 2018, 05:40:17 pm
Ike Forte
Great choice, Ike was a great player, met him once, he was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.  Just a heck of a nice guy.

supersaint

I wouldn't call him under rated because he left Fayetteville, but Jerry "Bruiser" Pryor from Barton was another freak athlete that could have become a phenomenal hog RB. I was sad when he decided to call it quits.  Super nice guy.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

oldhawg

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 05, 2018, 03:36:28 pm
Michael Smith
This... The guy followed McFadden, Jones and Hillis without the benefit of having any of them to help carry the load. He was undersized and over worked, but won us a few games while Petrino recruited his big backs. The dude did MAN WORK..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

26.2Hog

Another one is Bill Burnett. 

Get to the two yard line or closer and he could go airborne over the pile and get a touchdown.

Every. Single. Time.

SoCal Hog

Quote from: 26.2Hog on March 05, 2018, 07:25:06 pm
Another one is Bill Burnett. 

Get to the two yard line or closer and he could go airborne over the pile and get a touchdown.

Every. Single. Time.

We also can't forget Bill's fullback Bruce Maxwell. He paved the way with some great blocks.

Bill's older brother Bobby wasn't bad either. Scored the winning touchdown against Nebraska in the '65 Cotton Bowl. Drafted by the Bills and got hurt but was pretty good until his injury.
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

hawgdavis

razorbacker3

Quote from: SoCal Hog on March 05, 2018, 07:29:59 pm
We also can't forget Bill's fullback Bruce Maxwell. He paved the way with some great blocks.

Bill's older brother Bobby wasn't bad either. Scored the winning touchdown against Nebraska in the '65 Cotton Bowl. Drafted by the Bills and got hurt but was pretty good until his injury.
I believe he was AFC rookie of the year!

26.2Hog

Quote from: SoCal Hog on March 05, 2018, 07:29:59 pm

Thanks for remembering Maxwell, he was a stud.  Coach Broyles always said Maxwell was the only player he ever coached that never missed an assignment.

txkhog

Jerry Eckwood was amazing until he tore his knee up. Foster, Morton, Cowins and Gary Anderson.

Captain Morgan

this is the most accurate

texhog22

texhog22

Got another since I jumped the gun with Mike Smith. How about Joe Johnson from Longview Tx. scored a bunch of TDs

arsuperhog

Brandon Holmes. Dude could of been a stud under a different coach. He was our only offense against Ole miss in 2003 until he tore his ACL on special teams. That was another Houtson Nutt head-scratcher.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

DENNIS JOHNSON. You guys remember that time we went to Florida and they couldn't stop him? He had more rushing yards than their entire team!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hawghiggs

SPAL

Quote from: arsuperhog on March 05, 2018, 09:33:35 pm
Brandon Holmes. Dude could of been a stud under a different coach. He was our only offense against Ole miss in 2003 until he tore his ACL on special teams. That was another Houtson Nutt head-scratcher.

I liked Brandon. The ultimate team player. He got switched at least 4 times over his career.

alohawg

Quote from: LZH on March 05, 2018, 03:55:43 pm
He was something to watch.

Sure was, as were Ike Forte and Jerry Eckwood in that era. All electric backs that got the crowd on their feet almost every touch.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 05, 2018, 05:37:27 pm
Jeff Savage.

Wow.!! He was a really great dude. I had a class with him at OBU. He dated the prettiest young lady from Boonville. I wonder if they ever got married..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.