Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QB question after watching Morris' interview by Tony Barnhart

Started by Con el Cerdos, March 03, 2018, 02:57:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Con el Cerdos

March 03, 2018, 02:57:02 pm Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:18:14 am by Con el Cerdos
Barnhart, I think, asked who the starting QB would be.  Obviously Morris didn't commit to naming a starter after only the first day of spring practice.

What CM did say that about the starter, his words now, "the trigger puller (QB) has to be able to move the chains with his feet, not just his arm."

Who do we have on campus or the two coming in this summer that best fit the description of the QB he wants?

RebelW

Hyatt fits more than the other 2 that are working for reps right now

WJBilly

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on March 03, 2018, 02:57:02 pm
Barnhart, I think, asked who the starting QB would be.  Obviously Morris didn't commit to naming a starter after only the first day of spring practice.

What CM did say that about the starter, his words now, "the trigger puller (QB) has to be able to move the chains with his feet, not just his arm."

Who do we have on campus or the two coming in this summer that best fit the description of the QB he wants?

I think it all depends upon his definition of what "moving the chains with his feet" means to Morris.

Most of the time last season, when Kelley was in and we needed to move the chains with the QB, we did. Not every time, but he gained more positive yards rushing than the negative yards found with a traditional drop back QB. Of course, you would have to go game-by-game to determine how many yards were subtracted because of Sacks (which in truth should be subtracted from passing yards, not rushing yards, to be more accurate) but since the NCAA doesn't record some stats accurately it remains a point of opinion in the absence of the research.

I think that what most will think of when discussing what Morris stated is that he is referring to a traditional Dual Threat QB, and I can see where those folks might go in that direction, though I am not sure that is accurate. Obviously having someone like Alabama has, Hurts who rushed for an average of nearly 62 yards p/gm last season or Tagovailoa who rushed for nearly 15 yards p/gm is a different thing...having the best of both worlds depending on your situation and need at the time.

Perhaps Morris is looking for someone who is primarily a passer, who can execute the RPO and when doing so or scrambling, can pick up an average of 5 yards p/rush, while being someone who can average 13.5 yds p/compl passing and over 8 yards p/passing attempt with a 60%+ completion percentage?

It's too early to tell who this will be. Could one of the young ones step up after they hit campus? You never know, but I would suggest that they might need time to matriculate at recognizing and calling SEC defensive alignments, adjusting blocking schemes, changes in patterns, etc., before they are ready to go. I think we need to look at who is on campus right now. The future will come from those that we recently signed.
Go Hogs Go!

aloha_kid

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 03, 2018, 03:25:41 pm
I think it all depends upon his definition of what "moving the chains with his feet" means to Morris.

Most of the time last season, when Kelley was in and we needed to move the chains with the QB, we did. Not every time, but he gained more positive yards rushing than the negative yards found with a traditional drop back QB. Of course, you would have to go game-by-game to determine how many yards were subtracted because of Sacks (which in truth should be subtracted from passing yards, not rushing yards, to be more accurate) but since the NCAA doesn't record some stats accurately it remains a point of opinion in the absence of the research.

I think that what most will think of when discussing what Morris stated is that he is referring to a traditional Dual Threat QB, and I can see where those folks might go in that direction, though I am not sure that is accurate. Obviously having someone like Alabama has, Hurts who rushed for an average of nearly 62 yards p/gm last season or Tagovailoa who rushed for nearly 15 yards p/gm is a different thing...having the best of both worlds depending on your situation and need at the time.

Perhaps Morris is looking for someone who is primarily a passer, who can execute the RPO and when doing so or scrambling, can pick up an average of 5 yards p/rush, while being someone who can average 13.5 yds p/compl passing and over 8 yards p/passing attempt with a 60%+ completion percentage?

It's too early to tell who this will be. Could one of the young ones step up after they hit campus? You never know, but I would suggest that they might need time to matriculate at recognizing and calling SEC defensive alignments, adjusting blocking schemes, changes in patterns, etc., before they are ready to go. I think we need to look at who is on campus right now. The future will come from those that we recently signed.

Moving the chains with his feet could also mean the Pro-Style QB that can step up or move around in the pocket.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: aloha_kid on March 03, 2018, 03:45:16 pm
Moving the chains with his feet could also mean the Pro-Style QB that can step up or move around in the pocket.

I agree, which is why I mentioned the "scrambling" effect.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

I agree that it's likely too early to know exactly what CMM's definition for such a QB might be. I'm sure (or at least assume) that over next few months we'll be able to more firmly grasp on what he's precisely looking for.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 03, 2018, 03:48:17 pm
I agree that it's likely too early to know exactly what CMM's definition for such a QB might be. I'm sure (or at least assume) that over next few months we'll be able to more firmly grasp on what he's precisely looking for.

Personally, I think that in this first year he is going to be looking for the guy that can move the offense progressively with the fewest stalled drives that result in zero points, whomever and whatever that may be. It may be less than his personal "ideal" for that position, but that may be what you get in year one. We will see who that winds up being.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgphat

It is my general impression that Coach Morris desires to have a mobile QB who is not inclined to wait too long to pull the trigger - in either throwing to a receiver or throwing the ball away in order to prevent a loss of yardage - and is highly capable of scrambling to avoid a sack.  That proposition seems reasonable to me.  Even a very accurate passer can have a somewhat limited value if he is routinely unable to avoid a defensive rush.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: aloha_kid on March 03, 2018, 03:45:16 pm

Reading between the lines?  Maybe, but it seemed pretty clear that he was describing a QB who understands his role as a runner as well as a passer.  And even further, understanding when it is time to pull the ball down and get the yardage with his feet, necessary for the first down.

Now, will there be lots of designed running plays for the QB?  Surely don't know.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgphat on March 03, 2018, 04:53:04 pm
It is my general impression that Coach Morris desires to have a mobile QB who is not inclined to wait too long to pull the trigger - in either throwing to a receiver or throwing the ball away in order to prevent a loss of yardage - and is highly capable of scrambling to avoid a sack.  That proposition seems reasonable to me.  Even a very accurate passer can have a somewhat limited value if he is routinely unable to avoid a defensive rush.

Truth is, this is what we should have had in the recent past when it comes to passing. If a QB is getting to his third read/progression (third receiver) in a passing situation, he is coming precariously close to one of three things...having someone in his face while he releases, someone on him while he releases, or an actual sack. Any of the three can be bad for a QB unless he has steel running through his veins. Few have that. Not a knock on any of our QB's, just a statement of truth.

If this tends to be the Morris philosophy you may see many who protest that we are "throwing the ball into the stands" instead of "throwing a receiver open", which are two entirely different things given the situation and opportunity at the time. There will be times that we should throw the ball into the stands, despite the protest of many uneducated fans.

Bottom line is that there is a lot of responsibility on behalf of the receivers to break-off/bend designated routes and find an open spot between coverage levels so that we have an opportunity for a completion that otherwise might not exist. You can't just run strict routes that don't allow for free-lancing as the situation dictates.

I believe that Morris will bring all of this and more to the Arkansas offense, but time will tell.
Go Hogs Go!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Don't be surprised if Hyatt isn't the best QB on the roster.

From watching the little bit of footage they put out of the first practice he looked to have the better/quicker release, made a better variety of throws and looked better on the move.

Kelley is a lot of fun but I have a feeling in the end Hyatt is best suited for the offense we'll be running.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

lakecityhog

Storey may be playing pretty good ball right now, seems that it was him that led the scoring drive in the final series 2-minute drill today.
This O may suit him better and new eyes may see him differently???

Hawgphat

Unless I'm mistaken (a distinct possibility), we have at least one - and possibly two - additional freshmen QBs who will arrive on campus in June; - - Connor Noland and perhaps one other QB.  Since the new arrivals will have missed Spring Ball, they will (naturally) be behind on the learning curve, - - - but with enough potential talent and dexterity in the mold that Coach Morris prefers, do you think that the QB race could perhaps still prove to be a wide-open four-way shoot-out come early August?

fieldturf

The newcomer from Greenwood can move his feet also.  And throw!!!!! WOW

moses_007

Quote from: Hawgphat on March 03, 2018, 08:59:32 pm
Unless I'm mistaken (a distinct possibility), we have at least one - and possibly two - additional freshmen QBs who will arrive on campus in June; - - Connor Noland and perhaps one other QB.  Since the new arrivals will have missed Spring Ball, they will (naturally) be behind on the learning curve, - - - but with enough potential talent and dexterity in the mold that Coach Morris prefers, do you think that the QB race could perhaps still prove be a wide-open four-way shoot-out come early August?
Jerry Jones' grandson is a hot shot QB coming in this summer too.

Hawgphat

Quote from: moses_007 on March 04, 2018, 11:12:12 pm
Jerry Jones' grandson is a hot shot QB coming in this summer too.

Thanks for the memory jog.  How could I have forgotten Jerry Jones' grandson?

We may witness a spirited, wide open QB rivalry before the final pecking order is firmly established.  It could prove to be very exciting; - - as indeed I'm pretty sure the other positional battles will be.

presidenthog

I'm actually really excited to see how the depth chart shakes out with a brand new set of eyes.

CCM said nate daulton stuck out to him. I literally was telling a friend he may be one to transfer! I only said this because he was getting older and had never really seen the field. I swear if jalen merrick gets on the field as a starter I will 100% say Bert played favorites to the chagrin of his team and school fanbase.

RebelW

Kelley is going to have to be more aware and more accurate. He missed wide open guys with his eyes and his arm last year. Honestly, I didn't see him complete much more than the dump off screens we lived on.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

A qb that can move the chains with his feet, huh? I remember Bielema getting onto Kelly last season for running TOO much because he was taking too many hits. Kelly can move! Don't let his size fool you, his stature just makes him harder to bring down
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jgphillips3

Personally, after seeing his Clemson and SMU tape, I think he means, as Petrino used to say, that a QB must be willing to run.  I.e. when they leave the middle of the field wide open, take it.  Plus they should have the ability to scramble in general to get a first down or keep a play alive.  If you run the QB too much, he won't last long in the SEC.

blu

I think Kelley can move the chains with his feet despite his lack of speed. We shouldn't forget walkon Austin Aune who was a fairly highly recruited Texas QB four years ago, and signed a baseball contract and is currently enrolled.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: blu on March 05, 2018, 07:19:46 am
I think Kelley can move the chains with his feet despite his lack of speed. We shouldn't forget walkon Austin Aune who was a fairly highly recruited Texas QB four years ago, and signed a baseball contract and is currently enrolled.
Thanks fobringing that up. I'd completely forgotten. He enrolled or was going to enroll with TCU, correct?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jkstock04

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on March 03, 2018, 02:57:02 pm

That's interesting....because according to what basically everyone has said on here was that this system does not require a mobile qb.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Mike Irwin

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on March 03, 2018, 06:59:45 pm

From watching the little bit of footage they put out of the first practice he looked to have the better/quicker release, made a better variety of throws and looked better on the move.

Kelley is a lot of fun but I have a feeling in the end Hyatt is best suited for the offense we'll be running.
I will be surprised.

DeltaBoy

When you run a 11 offense system you QB got to have the ability to hurt the D with his feet.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

swinemaster

Didn't watch SMU but Clemson ran called running plays for the QB pretty regularly.  They even ran QB power runs with a lead blocker.  Granted, it was with Taj Boyd and Deshaun Watson.  But the QB needs to be athletic and skilled at running the ball for his offense to be running at it's highest level.  I think Cole will be the guy this year.  He's not fast and isn't going to make chunk play runs.  But he is an effective runner who can "move the chains".  Especially in the red zone.

presidenthog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 05, 2018, 08:14:48 am

I will be surprised.

I have heard from a couple people that he is not very accurate, and was sailing balls left and right during his RS year during practice.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RebelW on March 03, 2018, 03:15:41 pm
Hyatt fits more than the other 2 that are working for reps right now
He is an ESPN top 150 kid. I dont get how the fanbase missed him being here. People always instantly elevating a 3 star above a top 150 ESPN kid is mind boggling to me, but this is Hogville, so...

DALTON HYATT will be the starter, y'all.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on March 03, 2018, 06:59:45 pm

and he's a much higher rated recruit. And he doesnt already have a DWI as a freshman...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

swinesation

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 06, 2018, 08:05:10 am
He is an ESPN top 150 kid. I dont get how the fanbase missed him being here. People always instantly elevating a 3 star above a top 150 ESPN kid is mind boggling to me, but this is Hogville, so...

I agree. I thought it was significant that Morris said Kelley is #1 right now and Hyatt is #2. I'm surprised there hasn't been more comment on this. Hyatt leap-frogging Storey on the first day of practice seems like kind of a big deal to me.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: swinesation on March 06, 2018, 02:12:55 pm
I agree. I thought it was significant that Morris said Kelley is #1 right now and Hyatt is #2. I'm surprised there hasn't been more comment on this. Hyatt leap-frogging Storey on the first day of practice seems like kind of a big deal to me.

We have two QBs coming in June.  Both were very good in high school, regardless of their respective ratings.  And either could fill in an emergency.

Saying that to say this: I expect that Storey (first) and Kelley will eventually transfer.  JMO.

Pork Ranger

Why do you always feel the need to speak in absolutes? You're almost never right and increasingly more annoying with every post

Con el Cerdos

I agree.  Just don't think Cole has the quickness that Morris appears to want in his QBs.

RME

How's your boy and former 4* Army All-American Bowl participant Ricky Town doing these days?

liljo

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 06, 2018, 08:06:38 am
and he's a much higher rated recruit. And he doesnt already have a DWI as a freshman...

...and Ty Storey was even higher rated, at least by 247sports (4*, .9088) than Daulton (3*, .8774) over Kelly (3*, 8485).

I think by the time fall camp rolls around, the top two will be pretty clear cut. I trust the coaches in place now will base their judgments purely upon who is more effective (assuming there are no other off-the-field issues to deal with).
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Mike Irwin

His downfield throws were mostly on target today. However there was a 10 minute session where the QBs were throwing swing passes to the running backs and tight ends and Hyatt was missing badly. Like out of reach passes. Three feet too high. Two feet too much in front. Four feet behind. It was really noticeable since none of the other QBs were struggling like that.

lakecityhog

I guess I missed Morris saying that Hyatt was the clear #2 and Storey is the #3 guy. I would hate to think that Morris has made such decisions based on 1 walk thru and 1 day in pads! Now if Storey was a senior or even a true junior I could see Morris being reluctant to put him in as #1 and having to start over again so soon, but with 3 season to play he can afford to invest.

With a LOT of Razorback fans stars ONLY matter in recruiting and certainly not in playing. Experience means nothing, being untested is a HUGE plus!!

MuskogeeHogFan

It's very early. Morris said he was going to be switching guys around from #1 to #2 to #3 to see how they would react when not playing with the 1's. or at least whomever was designated as the 1's on any given day. I think he also said that within a week or two things would begin to work themselves out and you would see more realistic depth chart positioning of players. Even then, I've got a feeling that this won't be the end, but instead the beginning of even more competition. Most of these kids aren't going to like being relegated to 2nd or 3rd team especially if they feel that they have more in them to give, and we have to hope that all of them feel this way. Competition makes everyone better.
Go Hogs Go!

threeNout

it's all about making the D respect the fact the QB can hurt them running, and hopefully you don't have to do it too much to prove the point.

3rd and 3 with CK in the shotgun, you want the D worried the QB will just keep it and get the 3 yards.

that makes everything else easier.

twistitup

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on March 06, 2018, 02:50:01 pm
I agree.  Just don't think Cole has the quickness that Morris appears to want in his QBs.

What if he looses 30#?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Mike Irwin

Two quarterbacks spoke after practice today. Kelley and Storey.

FSHog67

Story, Hyatt, Nolan, Jones, and Kelly.  In the games that Kelly started his completion ave. was in the
50%s not good enough with as many screens as he threw.  I think he will transfer.  If not Ty Story then
I will go with Nolan he has the entire range of throws and an excellent athlete.  I'm just not sure he can
win the position missing this spring.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 08:00:27 pm
What if he looses 30#?

Twist, I see where your're going, and although I don't know how much, Cole has certainly dropped some weight judging by the looks of his mid section.

I'm just going by what I observed last year when he got pressure on passing downs.  Just did not appear to have the quick moves in the pocket to scramble.

At the end, Morris may not have another choice.  Cole may rise to the top.  Probably goes without saying, IMO, that won't be a good thing for the Razorbacks.  Tackles, LBers, and outside rushers are just to quick and fast in the SEC.

DeltaBoy

This is something to watch through the Spring..
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bennyl08

Good points. Just reminding that typing "p/" is akin to typing atm machine or scuba apparatus.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Swine-as-wine

(which in truth should be subtracted from passing yards, not rushing yards, to be more accurate) but since the NCAA doesn't record some stats accurately it remains a point of opinion in the absence of the research.

that's just plain stupid lol

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on March 14, 2018, 01:23:36 am
that's just plain stupid lol

That's how they do it though. A Sack (Sack yardage) is subtracted from rushing yards. The more accurate measure would be to subtract it from the passing yards of the QB that was the subject of the Sack.
Go Hogs Go!

ArkansasI

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 14, 2018, 07:04:41 am
That's how they do it though. A Sack (Sack yardage) is subtracted from rushing yards. The more accurate measure would be to subtract it from the passing yards of the QB that was the subject of the Sack.
Should they then add yards gained scrambling to passing yards?

greasy_corner

Quote from: ArkansasI on March 14, 2018, 07:58:38 am
Should they then add yards gained scrambling to passing yards?

What about rushing yardage gained by a receiver on a designed running play?