Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1 CENT TAX IN ORDER TO BUILD TRAVS NEW BALL PARK- YEA OR NAH?

Started by hogginuplittlerock, August 09, 2005, 08:34:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogginuplittlerock

like the subject says-would you be willing to pay for extra cent tax in order to not only build the historic travs a new and deserved ball park and bring them to NLR or not? i would say yes.

Porquemada

No. Let the Travelers or the LA Angels pay for their own new park. I've got a problem paying a tax to help such special interests.

Porquemada

Why doesn't central Arkansas just use some of the extra money the Travelers bring to the area and build them a new park? Oh, yeah, that's right, the Travelers don't bring much money into the area.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Have they ever rolled the tax that built Alltell Arena back off?  I lived in LR for 5 years in the mid 90's and I liked that element when I bought a new car in BENTON, but got to pay a 1% surcharge to my county of Pulaski, NOT!  Kick in some starter money, since it is a public type of facility, but this paying of every single cent by the taxpayers, so the club can make money off it is ridiculous.  Now if they want the public to build it, and then pay a hefty rental fee each year that either goes back as a refund to the taxpayers or can be used to properly fund the police department, then go for it.

Otherwise, I hate it.

Slacker

I'm really really REALLY not trying to bring the GSD in here. But LR or NLR, or whoever had better get this stadium done, and do it right. Otherwise, NWA maybe in line to fill in the void. 

pioneerhog

It doesn't matter if you want it or not, i just saw on KATV that it passed 54%for and 46% against.

Porquemada

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on August 09, 2005, 08:53:00 pm
Have they ever rolled the tax that built Alltell Arena back off? 
I've heard both sides of this story today and have yet to receive a definite answer.

Slacker

Quote from: pioneerhog on August 09, 2005, 08:55:55 pm
It doesn't matter if you want it or not, i just saw on KATV that it passed 54%for and 46% against.

Great! Now gitter done Central Arkansas!

pioneerhog

Quote from: Slacker on August 09, 2005, 08:57:46 pm

Now they just need to get that Bass Pro Shops built and I will be happy, I could care less about the ballpark I just want the BPS.

Slacker

Quote from: pioneerhog on August 09, 2005, 08:59:43 pm

Now they just need to get that Bass Pro Shops built and I will be happy, I could care less about the ballpark I just want the BPS.

LOL! Would that be sitcheyated next to the oversized trailer also known as the Clinton Library?  ;)

Porquemada

This is what gets me about the new ball park - the people behind it (Stephens and the Angels/Travelers) all want us, the taxpayer, to help foot the bill for a project that will make THEM money, not us. I believe all the people who want this little project should pony up their own fricking dough and quit riding the backs of the poor to line your pockets. Baseball parks are a luxury. Quit taxing the public for luxuries for the few.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Pork'n Beans on August 09, 2005, 09:04:23 pm
This is what gets me about the new ball park - the people behind it (Stephens and the Angels/Travelers) all want us, the taxpayer, to help foot the bill for a project that will make THEM money, not us. I believe all the people who want this little project should pony up their own fricking dough and quit riding the backs of the poor to line your pockets. Baseball parks are a luxury. Quit taxing the public for luxuries for the few.
There is a reason that these guys you are talking about are multi millionaires.

Porquemada

Quote from: pioneerhog on August 09, 2005, 09:07:14 pm
Exactly. With all this being said, if the Razorbacks could play several baseball homestands a season there and the FB team could play here instead of WMS - I would vote for it, no questions asked. :D :D

Slacker

Quote from: Pork'n Beans on August 09, 2005, 09:10:24 pm
Quote from: pioneerhog on August 09, 2005, 09:07:14 pm
Exactly. With all this being said, if the Razorbacks could play several baseball homestands a season there and the FB team could play here instead of WMS - I would vote for it, no questions asked. :D :D

Now that is forward thinking!  :)

Porquemada

The tax passed. Now NLR has some the highest tax rates in the entire country. 9%!!!

Patch

Quote from: pioneerhog on August 09, 2005, 08:59:43 pm

What's the latest on the Bass Pro. What's the hold up, and is there any word on other stores/restaurants that will be coming with them.

toshortrock

wow,,,i'm from arkansas,,,but memphis is a step ahead of us in all of this,,auto zone park is great,,,,,fed ex forum,,,,well,,about alltell
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Jim Harris

Quote from: Pork'n Beans on August 09, 2005, 08:57:05 pm
Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on August 09, 2005, 08:53:00 pm
Have they ever rolled the tax that built Alltell Arena back off? 
I've heard both sides of this story today and have yet to receive a definite answer.

it was a two-year tax. that's it. it was done and over years ago. It was also a county-wide tax, not a NLR city tax.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: Pork'n Beans on August 09, 2005, 11:12:48 pm
The tax passed. Now NLR has some the highest tax rates in the entire country. 9%!!!

Yeah, but NLR will have some of the best entertainment facilities in the country, maybe the best, for a town its size. Meanwhile, Little Rock has a darn zoo, a decrepit college football stadium, and the River Market, which is nice.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork'n Beans on August 09, 2005, 11:12:48 pm

Still not as high as Fort Smith and we dont have jack to show for our 9.12 or is it 9.25 %
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Extra Point

This is what gets me about the new ball park - the people behind it (Stephens and the Angels/Travelers) all want us, the taxpayer, to help foot the bill for a project that will make THEM money, not us.

Why do you think they are so adament about the Hogs playing at WMS?  I have been saying for years this is their ONLY reason for it.  It is CERTAINLY not for the benefit of the Hogs since those guys stopped giving money to the Razorback Foundation.

Good luck getting rid of that penny sales tax.  All the "temporary" penny taxes they ever passed in Tulsa starting nearly 30 years ago are still with us.

Inigo Montoya

Get rid of the Travelers and the Rimrockers, tear their stadiums down, build a Disney World or a Six Flags.  That's entertainment.  Not a bunch of washed up athletes still trying to make the big leagues.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogginuplittlerock

are you kidding-tear down alltel arena?? rimrockers have some pretty damn fine athletes-otherwise how could they have won there first championship in only there ingaural year? and the travs have developed some of the finest in baseball history-if you need a theme park fix go to magic springs or drag yourself to texass for six flags

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Inigo Montoya

You're right. Don't tear down Alltell.  It still hosts some pretty good concerts.

Swino

If you build it, good things can happen as long as you have good people working hard to make it so.

If you don't build it, you ain't got squat but a gripe about nothing to do and nothing to see. 

NLR is getting a great new park at 1/2 cost, can't beat that in my book.