Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it possible we could be the best team in the SEC next year?

Started by -Blu, March 09, 2014, 07:01:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

Quote from: olivebranchhog on March 10, 2014, 02:00:25 pm
Need dynamic guards that can shoot and play great d. Beard, Bell, Wagner are all guys that can score, but they don't play great d and they are all streaky.  We'll be about what we are right now.  Which is actually a good thing when you realize we're losing 3 players that got a lot of PT this season. 

Ok now that we've all made ourselves prophets, can we move on to discussions about this year? This team still has 4-10 games to play.

??? :-\ ::)

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: olivebranchhog on March 10, 2014, 02:47:31 pm
Good point. I just see Qualls and Madden getting better with the press and they are both big enough to guard any pg-sg. If Beard can play D against SEC guards the way he locks down guys in AAU, I'll be really excited. Just not often a freshman comes in and plays lock down D. Especially a 3star guy against the guard heavy league of the SEC.

Qualls is effective at times off the ball in the open court because of his athleticism and length for who he guards. 

Lock down is another level.  That rep has to be earned.  We just need someone who can stop the ball consistently and not allow so many layups and good looks from our opponents as a result of not being able to stop the ball. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

mhuff

Hate to lose Clarke.... He is money and a team player. His coach in Juco said he could play any position. I have really enjoyed watching him. Hope all of them are successful in life.

jry04

Quote from: olivebranchhog on March 10, 2014, 02:18:41 pm
I'm going to let him guard a D1 pg before I call him the best on ball defender.  You forget that Ricky Scott was locking guys down in AAU-Prep. When he got into SEC play he was just too slow and couldn't work the press against speedy guards. I think it'll take Beard a full year to come into his own. Not often you get a 3 star guy that is your best defender in year one. Wade wasn't even the best defender his freshman year. Big difference in "the best" and "one of the best".
Not true. Scott was a really good defender, and solid player his first year here when he got on the floor. Then he had the season ending injury and wasn't really the same.

olivebranchhog

Quote from: jry04 on March 10, 2014, 04:24:44 pm
Not true. Scott was a really good defender, and solid player his first year here when he got on the floor. Then he had the season ending injury and wasn't really the same.

You're  remembering the good times.  The guy got outrun a fair amount if times on the full court press.  He could guard guys in the half court but he couldn't do anything against guys on the move.  Don't confuse the words, not great, and bad.  These freshmen have their fair share of hbonehead plays.  We tend to forget about them 3 years later. 
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

olivebranchhog

Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

Temprees

Quote from: Wahls on March 10, 2014, 05:53:37 am
I just hope he finds a more consistent shot.
Madden's 3 point shot is very consistent when he is set.  He doesn't shoot the three very accurately when he tries to create his 3 ball off the dribble, or when he is running to a spot, catches and shoots.