Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Ruston Rifle is Moving Up

Started by Mike Irwin, April 15, 2016, 09:28:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

Another link bomb, duck and cover!!   ;)

PP

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WizardofhOgZ

April 18, 2016, 02:54:33 pm #3 Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:02:51 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 15, 2016, 09:28:38 pm
http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/thurman-promoted-to-assistant-coach-on-andersons-staff

Mike, you should know better.  The "Ruston Rifle" was and is B*e*r*t (for some reason, this frickin' site keeps changing it to "Bret"??) Jones, the former LSU and Colts QB.  He had that moniker 20 years before Scotty showed up on campus with Corliss and the rest of that 1992-93 recruiting class.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Jones

I'm a BIG Scotty fan . . . just "keeping it real" . . .

Mike Irwin

And Oscar Robertson was "The Big O" 30 years before Oliver Miller. So what? You go tell Scotty he's not the Ruston Rifle. I'll pass on it. It's his Twitter handle which is good enough for me.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2016, 07:11:27 pm
And Oscar Robertson was "The Big O" 30 years before Oliver Miller. So what? You go tell Scotty he's not the Ruston Rifle. I'll pass on it. It's his Twitter handle which is good enough for me.

You're right - he can call himself anything he wants to.  But to most people of our age (you and I are within a year or two of each other, I believe), that nickname evokes memories of Jones at LSU.  Especially since that was the era (later 60's) that Louisiana was generating NFL quarterbacks like clockwork.  In Shreveport, Woodlawn HS spawned Terry Bradshaw and Joe Ferguson right around that time as well.

FWIW, I never have heard or thought of Thurman as anything but "Scottie".  I knew he was from Ruston but never heard him referred to as the Ruston Rifle in the 3 years I watched every game he played with the Razorbacks.

HogBreath

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 19, 2016, 06:12:40 pm
You're right - he can call himself anything he wants to.  But to most people of our age (you and I are within a year or two of each other, I believe), that nickname evokes memories of Jones at LSU.  Especially since that was the era (later 60's) that Louisiana was generating NFL quarterbacks like clockwork.  In Shreveport, Woodlawn HS spawned Terry Bradshaw and Joe Ferguson right around that time as well.

FWIW, I never have heard or thought of Thurman as anything but "Scottie".  I knew he was from Ruston but never heard him referred to as the Ruston Rifle in the 3 years I watched every game he played with the Razorbacks.

Joe Ferguson???  Wasn't he known as the Bossier Buffalo?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: HogBreath on April 19, 2016, 06:48:20 pm
Joe Ferguson???  Wasn't he known as the Bossier Buffalo?

Actually, Joe's nickname was the "White Knight" . . . http://nvanthyn.blogspot.com/2012/10/always-white-knight.html

You're thinking of Tyler Wilson and "Turbo Buffalo". . .  ;)