Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Legend in his own mind Jerry Jones

Started by EastexHawg, March 13, 2017, 10:53:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Once again showing his true colors.  He doesn't want Romo to play for him, but he also doesn't want to let him play for anyone else.  It's the same crap the Packers tried to pull with Bret Favre.

If you don't think Romo is good enough to lead your own team to the Super Bowl, why are you scared to let him sign with the team of his choice?  The "I'm going to get a draft pick for him" crap is just that...crap.

Jerry intentionally lost the Eagles game rather than let Romo play on his last day in a Cowboys uniform.  Remind me, Jerry, how did that work out for you in the playoffs?  Or in allegedly trying to increase Romo's trade value, for that matter.

Reportedly Jerry and Romo had an agreement of some sort that Dallas would release him so he could sign and play elsewhere, but as soon as Houston made the Osweiler trade to make room for Tony ol' Jerrah backtracked because he is afraid of the "other" Texas team winning a Super Bowl before he does.  Again, if you think Romo is a legitimate threat to win the title why isn't he playing for you?

Jerry Jones is not only a rotten GM and a fake as a "football guy", having won two or three playoff games in over 20 years, but he is also a manipulative old codger.

Just freaking let the guy go.  You made your choice, now have the balls to live with it.

holeinthewall

He is just killing his own cap space keeping him on the roster.   

EastexHawg

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 14, 2017, 12:08:46 pm
He is just killing his own cap space keeping him on the roster.   

And yet, through all the years of futility since Jimmy Johnson left, Jerry still thinks he is some sort of football master strategist. 

He's just being petty now.

Richard_white

No he is just calling Houston and Denver's bluff.

He won't be on the roster after the draft.

holeinthewall

Quote from: Richard_white on March 14, 2017, 12:29:30 pm

Why would they bluff?  Then they are stuck with the salary. If Dallas releases him they can offer much less for him.  No way I would take him at the cap cost knowing he can't take a hit and more than likely will fall like humpty dumpty.

Richard_white

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 14, 2017, 01:14:15 pm
Why would they bluff?  Then they are stuck with the salary. If Dallas releases him they can offer much less for him.  No way I would take him at the cap cost knowing he can't take a hit and more than likely will fall like humpty dumpty.

Because both Houston and Denver will want him as soon as Dallas release him.

Dallas will have leverage up until the draft.

Dallas can afford to hold on to him until Houston and Denver moves on.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Richard_white on March 14, 2017, 12:29:30 pm

What exactly is their bluff?  The only one bluffing is Jerry Jones.  What is he going to do, keep Romo on the roster this season as a $14 million backup?  Jerry blew that ruse when he never played Romo so much as one play until the final game, then gave him one series in that one.  No one is falling for Jerry's "if we don't get what we want we will just keep him" crap.  He sucks almost as badly as a poker player as he does as an NFL GM.

All he is doing now is trying to screw over Romo, to keep him from going to a good team because he doesn't want to face the possibility of embarrassment if his team has a better year in 2017 than the Cowboys.  Think the Colts and Andrew Luck vs. the Broncos and Peyton Manning.  Jerry may be clueless as a football guy, but he is all world when it comes to pettiness, bravado, and trying to cover his own backside.

If not for Jimmy Johnson his entire NFL resume' would consist of making money.  That's all he has ever been good at doing.  Winning?  LMAO.  Herm Freaking Edwards has won as many playoff games as Jerry in the last 20 years.

bennyl08

Say you have a nice 350 dollar chair but you just got a 500 dollar chair and you can only sit in one chair. Well, you keep the chair you like more and you move on from the old chair. However, you can probably still get 200 for that older chair, and it isn't hurting you to keep it in your living room until you can sell it on craigslist. Sure, you could simply set it outside and let whomever take it off your hands and have the extra room in your house immediately. However, it isn't like you are just waiting to set up a ping pong table where that chair is. You don't have any immediate needs for that space. So, you are basically throwing money away by setting the chair by the curb. Instead, it makes the most sense to keep the chair for a while and get some of your money back.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

EastexHawg

Quote from: Richard_white on March 14, 2017, 02:41:25 pm

And what is the advantage in that for Dallas?  To screw over a guy who took a beating for them for 10 years before they cast him aside?  What did Romo do to deserve Jerry trying to make sure he goes to a crappy situation?  Get his back broken?

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 14, 2017, 02:48:11 pm
Say you have a nice 350 dollar chair but you just got a 500 dollar chair and you can only sit in one chair. Well, you keep the chair you like more and you move on from the old chair. However, you can probably still get 200 for that older chair, and it isn't hurting you to keep it in your living room until you can sell it on craigslist. Sure, you could simply set it outside and let whomever take it off your hands and have the extra room in your house immediately. However, it isn't like you are just waiting to set up a ping pong table where that chair is. You don't have any immediate needs for that space. So, you are basically throwing money away by setting the chair by the curb. Instead, it makes the most sense to keep the chair for a while and get some of your money back.

Except

a.  You are paying $14 million per year to keep that chair; and
b.  No one is going to give you anything for the chair.  You already announced to the entire world that you're never going to use it again, and the whole world knows how much it is costing you to keep it.

Remember Jerry's brilliant strategy of not playing Romo in the Eagles game?  Jerry thought he was doing that to (a) avoid a quarterback controversy and (b) avoid an injury to Romo and thereby keep his trade value high.  All it really did was show that Jerry and the Cowboys will never, ever play Romo at QB again.  They were willing to go into the playoffs on a rotten, losing note against the Eagles with even more rotten loser Mark Sanchez playing quarterback instead of Romo.

Jerry Jones...Real Man Of Genius.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 14, 2017, 02:47:46 pm
What exactly is their bluff?  The only one bluffing is Jerry Jones.  What is he going to do, keep Romo on the roster this season as a $14 million backup?  Jerry blew that ruse when he never played Romo so much as one play until the final game, then gave him one series in that one.  No one is falling for Jerry's "if we don't get what we want we will just keep him" crap.  He sucks almost as badly as a poker player as he does as an NFL GM.

All he is doing now is trying to screw over Romo, to keep him from going to a good team because he doesn't want to face the possibility of embarrassment if his team has a better year in 2017 than the Cowboys.  Think the Colts and Andrew Luck vs. the Broncos and Peyton Manning.  Jerry may be clueless as a football guy, but he is all world when it comes to pettiness, bravado, and trying to cover his own backside.

If not for Jimmy Johnson his entire NFL resume' would consist of making money.  That's all he has ever been good at doing.  Winning?  LMAO.  Herm Freaking Edwards has won as many playoff games as Jerry in the last 20 years.

If you cut him, you get nothing despite him being a very valuable player. Sure, he is taking up cap space, but that space is like the space an unused treadmill takes up in the spare bedroom. Sure, you have to get rid of it before the mother in law moves in, but that isn't for several months. You lose absolutely nothing by holding on to it while you try to sell it on craigslist.

If you cut Romo now, you free up cap space that you weren't planning on spending in free agency in the first place. If you hold onto Romo, you increase your odds that somebody will buckle under pressure and agree to a trade. If nobody does, so be it. You cut him later and you have lost nothing in the process by holding on to him.

Just like the treadmill, the only downside to keeping the treadmill for another month is that it takes up room in your spare bedroom that you never use in the first place. Sure, you are get rid of it regardless, but you have everything to gain by trying to sell it and have zero downside by holding on to it for a little longer.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 14, 2017, 02:55:34 pm
Except

a.  You are paying $14 million per year to keep that chair; and
b.  No one is going to give you anything for the chair.  You already announced to the entire world that you're never going to use it again, and the whole world knows how much it is costing you to keep it.

Remember Jerry's brilliant strategy of not playing Romo in the Eagles game?  Jerry thought he was doing that to (a) avoid a quarterback controversy and (b) avoid an injury to Romo and thereby keep his trade value high.  All it really did was show that Jerry and the Cowboys will never, ever play Romo at QB again.  They were willing to go into the playoffs on a rotten, losing note against the Eagles with even more rotten loser Mark Sanchez playing quarterback instead of Romo.

Jerry Jones...Real Man Of Genius.

a. you aren't going to keep him there for a year in the first place. So yeah, it doesn't hurt the team whatsoever to keep him a little bit longer.
b. False. Everybody knows that if they don't trade for Romo, you will release him before too long, that is true. However, if Houston trades for Romo before the cowboys release him, they don't have to get into a bidding war. They are guaranteed to have him. Sure, it is known that you are getting rid of the chair/treadmill. However, if that happens, there is no guarantee that you will be the first person to drive by the house and pick it up. Is it worth it to you to spend a little bit more money to have one in the hand rather than gamble for two in the bush? The longer you wait, the more the pressure builds up to make sure you have something in your hand.

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 14, 2017, 03:10:20 pm
a. you aren't going to keep him there for a year in the first place. So yeah, it doesn't hurt the team whatsoever to keep him a little bit longer.
b. False. Everybody knows that if they don't trade for Romo, you will release him before too long, that is true. However, if Houston trades for Romo before the cowboys release him, they don't have to get into a bidding war. They are guaranteed to have him. Sure, it is known that you are getting rid of the chair/treadmill. However, if that happens, there is no guarantee that you will be the first person to drive by the house and pick it up. Is it worth it to you to spend a little bit more money to have one in the hand rather than gamble for two in the bush? The longer you wait, the more the pressure builds up to make sure you have something in your hand.

What exactly is it that Jerry (and apparently you) think he is going to get in a trade for Romo?  What round is this alleged draft pick going to be in?  That's worth screwing over a long-term, valuable, and loyal employee?

No one is going to give Dallas anything of any real value.  Jerry is just being a manipulative prick.  He wishes he could trade Romo to Cleveland or Jacksonville so he wouldn't have to hear it if Tony's team, even if in the AFC, has a better season than the Cowboys next year. 

Richard_white

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 14, 2017, 02:49:37 pm
And what is the advantage in that for Dallas?  To screw over a guy who took a beating for them for 10 years before they cast him aside?  What did Romo do to deserve Jerry trying to make sure he goes to a crappy situation?  Get his back broken?

He's getting paid for all the back injuries he has had the last couple years.  He is still being paid millions for only playing one series in the regular season. It wasn't just Romo that got screwed over. Dallas got real lucky in the last draft.  Dak had a great season and he is the starter now and for the future.

I expect Romo to be either release or be traded by the draft or right after the draft. 

Richard_white

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 14, 2017, 02:47:46 pm
What exactly is their bluff? 

They are waiting to see if Houston and Denver will draft a QB or move on.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Richard_white on March 14, 2017, 05:32:32 pm
They are waiting to see if Houston and Denver will draft a QB or move on.

How would that benefit Dallas?  How would the Texans drafting a quarterback affect the Cowboys, other than Jerry making sure Romo doesn't go to a good situation for him?

You've made your choice, Jerry.  Just quit with the manipulation and games and let Romo make his. 

EastexHawg

"Houston needs a quarterback, so I'm going to hold Romo hostage so they will draft one instead of signing him."

How does that benefit the Dallas Cowboys in any way?  Sorry, but the only benefit I can see is to Jerry's ego, trying to make sure the "other" Texas team doesn't get the QB they would like to sign. 

Houston is in the AFC, so they aren't even a conference opponent, much less divisional rival.

Richard_white

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 15, 2017, 11:59:17 am
How would that benefit Dallas?  How would the Texans drafting a quarterback affect the Cowboys, other than Jerry making sure Romo doesn't go to a good situation for him?

You've made your choice, Jerry.  Just quit with the manipulation and games and let Romo make his. 

It may not benefit Dallas but it won't hurt them at all to keep Romo just a little longer and hopefully get something out of him. Dallas will know by the draft.  But as of right now, no one wants his contract with two back surgeries. So more than likely he will be released and someone might pick him up for a backup or even a starter or he may retire as some have suggested him to do.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Richard_white on March 15, 2017, 01:13:13 pm
It may not benefit Dallas but it won't hurt them at all to keep Romo just a little longer and hopefully get something out of him. Dallas will know by the draft.  But as of right now, no one wants his contract with two back surgeries. So more than likely he will be released and someone might pick him up for a backup or even a starter or he may retire as some have suggested him to do.

I think there are at least a couple of teams that would want him, back surgeries or not.  But again, what difference does that make to Jerry?  He has the QB he wants and has made it plain Romo will never have the chance to play for him again.  Just let him go and let Tony and the teams that are interested in him worry about his back, his contract, and everything else.

There is no advantage whatsoever in holding onto him until the draft.  The only reason for doing that is to force a team (like the Texans) that might be interested in him into drafting a QB.  Again...why does Jerry not want Romo to sign with the Texans as a free agent?  Both Benny and you have said exactly what I have, that Jerry isn't going to get anything for him in a trade.  Why would someone trade for him when they know the Cowboys have to release him?

All Jerry is doing now is keeping Romo from being able to pursue the final years of his career and his own deal with the team of his choice.  I wonder what other players like Jason Witten think about that behind closed doors.

EastexHawg

By the way, I will just go ahead and acknowledge the elephant in the room.  There are a lot of people, from the Romo haters to Jerry to probably a few people on this board, who desperately want Jerry to keep him from going to a team like the Broncos or the Texans so they can keep being "right" about Tony.  The last thing they want is for him to sign with the Broncos (or Texans) and get to a Super Bowl.  That would destroy the narrative.  Better for Jerry to keep holding him hostage, hoping he either ends up with a terrible team or retires rather than getting the chance to succeed.

Richard_white

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 15, 2017, 03:03:11 pm
I think there are at least a couple of teams that would want him, back surgeries or not.  But again, what difference does that make to Jerry?  He has the QB he wants and has made it plain Romo will never have the chance to play for him again.  Just let him go and let Tony and the teams that are interested in him worry about his back, his contract, and everything else.

There is no advantage whatsoever in holding onto him until the draft.  The only reason for doing that is to force a team (like the Texans) that might be interested in him into drafting a QB.  Again...why does Jerry not want Romo to sign with the Texans as a free agent?  Both Benny and you have said exactly what I have, that Jerry isn't going to get anything for him in a trade.  Why would someone trade for him when they know the Cowboys have to release him?

All Jerry is doing now is keeping Romo from being able to pursue the final years of his career and his own deal with the team of his choice.  I wonder what other players like Jason Witten think about that behind closed doors.

What does it matter if he is released now or by the draft? If I owned the Cowboys I would do the same.  I would want to see if my QB had value for a trade.....BUT...Romo has no trade value at all. If so he would have been traded by now. Texans and Broncos and even Cleveland needs a QB but yet will give nothing to Dallas.

Heck even Brock had trade value and he sucks.

The only thing Jerry did wrong is that he opened his big mouth and said Romo will be released last Thursday.  If he would have said from the start they wanted to trade him there might be a team or two that might give something for him.

If he is as valued to other teams that need a QB, then he can find a spot on their 53 man roster.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Richard_white on March 15, 2017, 04:24:42 pm
Romo has no trade value at all. If so he would have been traded by now. Texans and Broncos and even Cleveland needs a QB but yet will give nothing to Dallas.

Heck even Brock had trade value and he sucks.

Why would you not release him if you acknowledge he has zero trade value AND you (and everyone else on Earth) know you can't afford to keep him on the roster?  Is it spite?  Is it to make sure he doesn't end up with a contender, even if they are in the AFC?

What is there to be spiteful about?  The guy gave everything he had for a decade, then handled his demotion with class.  You've cast him aside, he didn't quit on you.  So why would Jerry try to keep him from landing in a good situation?

Richard_white

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 15, 2017, 04:35:18 pm
Why would you not release him if you acknowledge he has zero trade value AND you (and everyone else on Earth) know you can't afford to keep him on the roster?  Is it spite?  Is it to make sure he doesn't end up with a contender, even if they are in the AFC?

What is there to be spiteful about?  The guy gave everything he had for a decade, then handled his demotion with class.  You've cast him aside, he didn't quit on you.  So why would Jerry try to keep him from landing in a good situation?

Like I said he had a little trade value before Jerry opened his mouth about releasing him.

Again, what difference does it make to hold him until the draft or release him now?  Do you think Cleveland, Buffalo, Denver and Houston will draft a QB to keep them from signing Romo?  Buffalo who has a QB is looking for a QB in free agency.  Cleveland is always looking for a QB.  Denver who just drafted a QB (Paxton) is looking for a QB until Paxton is ready.  Houston just traded their starter.  It's not going to matter if those teams pick one up in the draft. If Romo has value he will get on with one of those teams.  Now or in April.  What's wrong with Dallas holding on to see if any one of those teams decide to give something up for Romo. 

He will go to one of those teams now or then. 

EastexHawg

It's just manipulative and crappy, that's what difference it makes.  Jerry doesn't want him and because of that Romo doesn't want to be there.  Everyone in this thread has agreed, as has every media site and presumably every franchise out there, that nobody is going to give the Cowboys anything for him.

But let's say someone did trade Dallas a 7th round pick for him.  Would that make being a jerk over this situation worth it?  If I'm not mistaken the Cowboys have had one 7th round pick from the last decade who amounted to anything, Alan Ball.

holeinthewall

Quote from: Richard_white on March 14, 2017, 02:41:25 pm

But not at the 18 million salary he is at.  They can get him for half that if he is released.

Dr. Starcs

I'd still keep him.

You've got your qb, but you're one injury away from being 4-12 ala 2015. He's under contract and you solidify the most important position in the game by bringing him back.

Especially since they haven't done anything too positive defensively this off season.

EastexHawg

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 16, 2017, 02:16:36 pm
But not at the 18 million salary he is at.  They can get him for half that if he is released.

I still haven't figured out the advantage for Dallas in Houston and Denver moving on.  How does that benefit the Cowboys?  They aren't even conference opponents, much less in Dallas' division.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 16, 2017, 09:12:06 pm
I'd still keep him.

You've got your qb, but you're one injury away from being 4-12 ala 2015. He's under contract and you solidify the most important position in the game by bringing him back.

Especially since they haven't done anything too positive defensively this off season.

Gee, I wonder if they might be able to make some moves defensively if they didn't have Romo's contract hanging over their heads. 

I'll tell you exactly what happened.  Jerry saw the Texans trade Osweiler and said to himself, "I'm not about to let Tony go to Houston, with that defense, and maybe get to the Super Bowl.  That will make me look bad and hurt my ego, and when it comes down to it that's really the only thing that matters to me."

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 14, 2017, 03:18:02 pm
What exactly is it that Jerry (and apparently you) think he is going to get in a trade for Romo?  What round is this alleged draft pick going to be in?  That's worth screwing over a long-term, valuable, and loyal employee?

Must not have followed the NFL long. Lets say they get the absolute last pick in the draft as a trade piece for Romo. Guess what? That is something they would not have otherwise gotten. Colts would have tried to trade Manning, but his 28M roster bonus came up before the deadline and he would accept a restructuring of his contract, so they were left with no choice but to cut him.

Name a single team that hasn't screwed over 100 long term and valuable employees. Maybe a Canadian football team, but the NFL is a business. You don't play to make friends in the NFL, you play to win. You can't even count on one hand the number of players that were already in the process of being cut where some team who didn't like their odds to get him in the FA decided that it would be cheaper to send a 6th round pick to trade for the player than it would be to try and woo them on the market.

QuoteNo one is going to give Dallas anything of any real value.  Jerry is just being a manipulative prick.  He wishes he could trade Romo to Cleveland or Jacksonville so he wouldn't have to hear it if Tony's team, even if in the AFC, has a better season than the Cowboys next year.

You are just pulling that completely out your ass. Which isn't shocking. You also think that them treating Romo like a starting caliber qb by playing him until the rust come off and then putting in a red shirt to take over in a meaningless game means they don't value him while simultaneously arguing that because most other team's backup qb's aren't valuable, they should treat Romo like that as well.

You want to an perfect example of a similar situation in the past? Look to the Niners with Montana and Young. Young overtook Montana as the starter in San Fran. What do you do with a star qb who costs too much to keep as a backup? Somebody who was loyal and hardworking for your franchise? Yeah, they held on to him until somebody traded for him and that somebody was KC. While I assume you were alive for that trade, I'll refresh you for what it went for. Niners traded Montana, a 3rd round pick in the next year's draft, and a safety, for KC's first round pick that year at #18.

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 19, 2017, 03:13:11 am
Must not have followed the NFL long. Lets say they get the absolute last pick in the draft as a trade piece for Romo. Guess what? That is something they would not have otherwise gotten. Colts would have tried to trade Manning, but his 28M roster bonus came up before the deadline and he would accept a restructuring of his contract, so they were left with no choice but to cut him.

Name a single team that hasn't screwed over 100 long term and valuable employees. Maybe a Canadian football team, but the NFL is a business. You don't play to make friends in the NFL, you play to win. You can't even count on one hand the number of players that were already in the process of being cut where some team who didn't like their odds to get him in the FA decided that it would be cheaper to send a 6th round pick to trade for the player than it would be to try and woo them on the market.

You are just pulling that completely out your ass. Which isn't shocking. You also think that them treating Romo like a starting caliber qb by playing him until the rust come off and then putting in a red shirt to take over in a meaningless game means they don't value him while simultaneously arguing that because most other team's backup qb's aren't valuable, they should treat Romo like that as well.

You want to an perfect example of a similar situation in the past? Look to the Niners with Montana and Young. Young overtook Montana as the starter in San Fran. What do you do with a star qb who costs too much to keep as a backup? Somebody who was loyal and hardworking for your franchise? Yeah, they held on to him until somebody traded for him and that somebody was KC. While I assume you were alive for that trade, I'll refresh you for what it went for. Niners traded Montana, a 3rd round pick in the next year's draft, and a safety, for KC's first round pick that year at #18.

All this, and yet no team has offered the Cowboys anything.  Yeah, Jerry wants to get something for him, but he is also "managing" the situation to try to determine where Romo ends up.  Don't think so?  Then why is the headline in today's Dallas Morning News "Is It Bad For Business For Jerry Jones To Let Romo Go To Houston"?

But what would the DMN and its writers know about the Cowboys and Jerry Jones?  You're all over it so they should probably call you.

EastexHawg

We'll, well, well.  Look what we have here...
Maybe there's another holdup though. What if, as floated by Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio over the weekend, the reason that Romo hasn't either been released or been traded to the Texans is if Jerry Jones can't handle the idea of Romo playing for another team in Texas?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-the-one-sneaky-texas-based-reason-why-jerry-jones-wont-let-tony-romo-go-yet/amp/

Where have I heard that before?

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 20, 2017, 10:49:49 am
All this, and yet no team has offered the Cowboys anything.  Yeah, Jerry wants to get something for him, but he is also "managing" the situation to try to determine where Romo ends up.  Don't think so?  Then why is the headline in today's Dallas Morning News "Is It Bad For Business For Jerry Jones To Let Romo Go To Houston"?

But what would the DMN and its writers know about the Cowboys and Jerry Jones?  You're all over it so they should probably call you.

That the public knows of.

I love the bit with the newspaper though. Let's dissect that headline shall we?

Dallas has two options. Well technically three, but realistically two. Cut Romo now, not save any money, not get anything back in return. Hold onto Romo until you actually have to start paying that large contract and until he actually becomes a hit on your cap space and try to get something (the other option is to outright keep him). If he gets cut, where would Romo want to go? He's already made a heckuvalot of money. So, I'd guess that isn't his biggest concern. Late in his career with a wallet that would explode if it got any thicker, I'm guessing he wants a chance to win a super bowl ring. If that guess is correct, he might as well go to the Jets or the Jaguars as he would the Texans. The only team that is a qb away from competing for the title is Denver. I suppose he just really really likes Texas and for some godforsaken reason wants to stay in that state over getting paid more elsewhere or trying to win a superbowl.

So, if Jones cuts Romo, the only way he goes to Houston is if he doesn't want to move too far and values that more than winning a super bowl. If that is the case, then any fears about him making the cowboys look foolish are dumb because it means his biggest drive right now isn't to win it all.

What about trades? We've already discussed that Jones "letting" Romo go to Houston by straight up cutting Tony is either not going to happen or if it does, it isn't going to be bad for business. So, if the article is focused on Jerry Jones cutting Tony Romo, that headline is nothing but the print version of clickbait. However, lets assume that article is then serious. That means that Jerry Jones directly has the option of keeping Romo from going to the Texans. Which means, contrary to your stated opinion, the Texans have indeed offered a trade for Romo.

This puts our argument in an interesting position. If the article has merit to it, then that means that Jones has a trade offer for Romo and hasn't accepted it. Thus, you'd be wrong for suggesting that nobody wants to trade for Romo; however, you'd be completely correct that Jones does't want Romo to go there. OTOH, if the Texans don't have an offer on the table, then the article is a joke of an article because if he wants to win a superbowl, Houston is not a threat to get him there, and if he wants to go to Houston over Denver, then winning it all isn't his main priority in the first place and thus is not going to be bad for business.

Finally, and this is the part I think I enjoy the most. You offer a single headline from this article as proof that you are right, and that the writers for this newspaper are going to be better informed than most. Tell me, did you hold that same opinion when they endorsed Hillary over Trump? Or, do you thing this newspaper is right when they agree with you and is trash when it doesn't? Further, the ADG is the biggest newspaper in LR. Yet, Wally Hall and his articles are not exactly revered as being gospel truth.

*EDIT

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/03/20/will-tony-romo-2017-traded-breaking-options-like-broncos-jets

Here is the online version of the article. Zero information that Jones is petty enough to actually not want Romo to do well in Houston, just two people's opinions that are as valid as anybody else's. In that same article, more people talking about how Dallas would love to get a trade offer from either Denver or Houston suggesting that there is feelings of not wanting him to go to Houston. Among the talk in that link about Romo in Free Agency, read one person saying that Houston is where he should go, with the majority of the talk suggesting that Denver is indeed the best place to go.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 20, 2017, 05:26:42 pm
We'll, well, well.  Look what we have here...
https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-the-one-sneaky-texas-based-reason-why-jerry-jones-wont-let-tony-romo-go-yet/amp/

Where have I heard that before?

From yourself. Again, check out the link I posted below from your beloved, Hillary endorsing newspaper.

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 20, 2017, 06:27:14 pm
From yourself. Again, check out the link I posted below from your beloved, Hillary endorsing newspaper.

LMAO.  Apparently you get more inside info from your Pacific Northwest command center than CBS, Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk, and probably Romo himself.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 20, 2017, 07:39:03 pm
LMAO.  Apparently you get more inside info from your Pacific Northwest command center than CBS, Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk, and probably Romo himself.

Learn to read, mate. Nobody out there is saying that Jerry Jones is afraid of Romo going to Houston. Only people saying that they  think that it is a possibility with plenty more saying that Dallas would love to accept a trade offer from Houston.

To that first point about reading comprehension, check out your sources. Mike Florio works for Pro Football Talk. So, it isn't Mike Florio and the entire PFT staff who thinks that, it is Florio and that is the only one there who has commented on that. What about CBS you say? That was a writer commenting on Florios opinion article. The CBS's writer's claim to fame is being on sports illustrated top 100 twitter list. From NC, he previously wrote for a bunch of internet sites. Not somebody who has any inside connections to the cowboys. Somebody who specializes in online writing which usually means getting clicks.

Everything seems to revolve around Florio's article, what did he actually say?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/18/does-jerry-jones-want-to-keep-tony-romo-from-playing-in-houston/

That link is from the online version of the article that you mentioned, so again, everything comes back to this. Nothing saying that there are unnamed sources reporting that Jerry doesn't want Romo going to Houston. The article is pure opinion and just a some guy talking his opinion.

There's also david moore from SportsDay who thinks that Dallas is trying to really put the pressure on houston to make a trade sense Denver is the better option and that Dallas would love to make that trade. Woody Paige from the colorado springs gazzette thinks the same thing. MMQB's albert breer thinks Dallas is trying to put the heat on both teams as well, with houston being more desperate and likely to take the bait, though neither team being super likely. SI's Peter King also agrees with the putting the heat on both teams with neither team wanting to trade but that Houston could very well put up a 6th rounder to make sure they get him instead of Denver. BR's Gary Davenport thinks that Denver will and should offer a late round pick.

I did find Matt Mosley, a special contributor also from SportsDay, who speculates that Jerry might not want Romo to go to Houston, but he is explicit that it is just a thought of his and not something backed up by any amount of evidence.

Sure, maybe the long list of people I mentioned, some of which are highly respected sports journalists that do have a lot of connections, are simply spouting their opinion on what the inner workings are of the cowboys. However, yeah, I do believe I have at least as much inside information and actual proof of what Jerry Jones is thinking on this subject as Florio, which is absolute zero. At least one of the major sites would be talking about this too and wouldn't be tripping over themselves to make sure that people who can read know that this is just their own thoughts with no evidence behind them.

I don't care if that is what you think, in your opinion, that Jerry wants to do. I just find it sad that you think your opinion is absolute fact on this matter. If your little command center in your flat, sulfur tasting water in the shorthorn state gives you more inside information than all the other media outlets out there, let me know. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 21, 2017, 01:32:16 am
I don't care if that is what you think, in your opinion, that Jerry wants to do. I just find it sad that you think your opinion is absolute fact on this matter. If your little command center in your flat, sulfur tasting water in the shorthorn state gives you more inside information than all the other media outlets out there, let me know. 

No, what is sad is that you are some sort of contrarian stalker of mine, from forum to forum, who keeps getting his ass handed to him.  I wrote five days ago that what was really going on was that Jerry Jones doesn't want Romo to go to Houston and possibly show up the Cowboys.  Four days later the DMN runs a headline asking "is it bad for business for Jerry to let Romo go to Houston?"  Why Houston?  Why would the question ever be raised?  Why not "is it bad for business for Romo to go to Cleveland"...or Kansas City...or Denver? 

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that the Dallas Morning News just happened to run a headline intimating that what I came out and stated may be true?

And then, as if that wasn't enough, Florio wrote a story that CBS thought enough of to link not only suggesting that what I flatly said four days earlier, and suggesting from the very beginning of this thread, is true but expounded on the very same reasons WHY it is true.

You know nothing.  Well, you do know one thing, and that is that you like to follow me around Hogville attempting to put up rebuttals to just about everything I say.  And frankly, your record of success sucks.  I have been following the Cowboys since the Ice Bowl.  I know more about the Dallas franchise from memory than you will be able to Google for one of your filibuster comebacks.  But, by all means, carry on.

bennyl08

Haha, seems like you are a legend in your own mind if you think you are worth being followed. I post about football and politics here, and not just football. Every once in a while I'll go to the movie/books/music section of DST, travel, and I made like 2 posts in jump ball during march madness. You will find that the vast majority of your posts I ignore or never even read and the vast majority of my posts have absolutely nothing to do with you. I'm sure you like the idea of being important enough to stalk, but that simply isn't the case.

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that SportsDay, the Colorado Springs Gazette, MMQB, Sports Illustrated, and Bleacher Report all run headlines that what I came out and stated may be true?

Florio's article isn't something different from the Dallas Morning News, it was what was written in t he DMN. Further, I linked Florio's original article and have read CBS's piggy backed article. No, none of them even suggest what you thought is actually true. Read the actual articles. Suggesting it is true would mean they have some evidence that it is. Every article is just saying "suppose that x happens, and then suppose that y happens, and then suppose that z happens, then that would be bad for Dallas and we guess that Jerry wouldn't like that."

Suggesting that what you think is actually would mean "sources inside the organization say that Jerry doesn't want Romo to go to Houston" or that "houston has actually made a trade offer but the cowboys haven't accepted." That is what it looks like for an article to suggest something is true. Not, somebody else has the same opinion that I do, so that means I must be correct.

It's also sad that you think you've ever handed me my ass. Then again, you think somebody having the same opinion as you is evidence that your opinion is the truth and that somebody responding to you in more than one forum that you both frequent means you are being stalked, so I'm not surprised that legend in his own mind eastex thinks he's winner in those outcomes. Remember that time you thought that people built up muscles in their neck and that prevented head injuries? God that was hilarious, or at least it would have been if you were joking.

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 21, 2017, 03:23:05 pm
Remember that time you thought that people built up muscles in their neck and that prevented head injuries? God that was hilarious, or at least it would have been if you were joking.

No, you're not a stalker.  You just remember something I wrote two or three years ago.  Do you know what I remember about you?  That you have the common sense of a coffee table.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 21, 2017, 03:50:53 pm
No, you're not a stalker.  You just remember something I wrote two or three years ago.  Do you know what I remember about you?  That you have the common sense of a coffee table.

Sad that you think having a good memory is an insult. Not sure what coffee tables you've been around, but for your sake, I hope someday you improve to a coffee table level of commons sense and move beyond the throw pillow level.

goodguytex

Dallas may very well get to the super bowl on their own without Romo. Romo certainly didn't get them there for various reasons.

Word I've been reading now is it's down to Houston and retirement with CBS and Fox both talking 2 million a year. If he does or doesn't go to Houston Dallas will or won't succeed either way. I don't think Houston is automatically a super bowl team just because Romo steps in
They still have other issues they need to address.

EastexHawg

Quote from: goodguytex on March 25, 2017, 12:08:06 am
Dallas may very well get to the super bowl on their own without Romo. Romo certainly didn't get them there for various reasons.

Word I've been reading now is it's down to Houston and retirement with CBS and Fox both talking 2 million a year. If he does or doesn't go to Houston Dallas will or won't succeed either way. I don't think Houston is automatically a super bowl team just because Romo steps in
They still have other issues they need to address.

Jerry Jones is trying to do everything he can to ensure Romo doesn't go to Houston.  He doesn't want to take the chance on Romo and the Texans usurping Dallas as the most successful team in Texas over the next couple of years.  There are reports that Jerry has tried to cajole John Elway into giving him something, anything, no matter how miniscule, in a "trade" so that he (Jerry) can save face and keep Romo out of Houston.

Other issues they need to address?  Since everyone on Earth knows Romo is not going to quarterback the Cowboys in 2017, wouldn't releasing him and freeing up a bunch of cap space be a good place to start?

Jerry is willing to cut off his nose to spite his face when it comes to manipulating the Romo situation.  It's yet another example of why the franchise under his control has won two playoff games in 21 years.  He got rich and gained a lot of recognition because Jimmy Johnson did all the football related work for him.  Since he fired Johnson the rest of the world has gotten to see what a great "football guy" Jerry is. 

DeltaBoy

Jerry making too much money off the Cowboys to care if we win another Super Bowl or not.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 13, 2017, 10:53:53 pm
Once again showing his true colors.  He doesn't want Romo to play for him, but he also doesn't want to let him play for anyone else.  It's the same crap the Packers tried to pull with Bret Favre.

If you don't think Romo is good enough to lead your own team to the Super Bowl, why are you scared to let him sign with the team of his choice?  The "I'm going to get a draft pick for him" crap is just that...crap.

Jerry intentionally lost the Eagles game rather than let Romo play on his last day in a Cowboys uniform.  Remind me, Jerry, how did that work out for you in the playoffs?  Or in allegedly trying to increase Romo's trade value, for that matter.

Reportedly Jerry and Romo had an agreement of some sort that Dallas would release him so he could sign and play elsewhere, but as soon as Houston made the Osweiler trade to make room for Tony ol' Jerrah backtracked because he is afraid of the "other" Texas team winning a Super Bowl before he does.  Again, if you think Romo is a legitimate threat to win the title why isn't he playing for you?

Jerry Jones is not only a rotten GM and a fake as a "football guy", having won two or three playoff games in over 20 years, but he is also a manipulative old codger.

Just freaking let the guy go.  You made your choice, now have the balls to live with it.
Man, the way you were going off on Jerry one might have thought you were Tony's agent. As we now know he will doubtless still be making a half a boatload in the booth without getting hit. He can sit back with Nance, offer his insight and commentary, and spend the rest of his time playing golf or whatever else he wants to do. Not a bad gig for a guy whose back and neck were gimpy at best. Just be glad he can walk away without further physical damage. A ton of guys don't necessarily have that option and I'm sure would LOVE the opportunity.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 07, 2017, 05:37:40 pm
Man, the way you were going off on Jerry one might have thought you were Tony's agent. As we now know he will doubtless still be making a half a boatload in the booth without getting hit. He can sit back with Nance, offer his insight and commentary, and spend the rest of his time playing golf or whatever else he wants to do. Not a bad gig for a guy whose back and neck were gimpy at best. Just be glad he can walk away without further physical damage. A ton of guys don't necessarily have that option and I'm sure would LOVE the opportunity.

Really?  That's your take from all this, that Jerry did Romo a favor?  It was obvious Romo still wanted to play.  It was equally obvious that Jerry didn't want him to play, especially for Houston.

So Jerry, being the egotistical and manipulative jerk he is, had his cake and ate it, too.  He chose the QB he wanted for his own team AND basically forced Romo into retirement by refusing to release him in time for him to make a deal and get to work with another team.

Jerry's handling of this situation has been classless and sorry.  I'll never feel the same way about the Cowboys as long as he is around and running the team because I can't root for a man like that.

Dr. Starcs

It's also obvious no other team wanted him bad enough either.

Dr. Starcs

Don't hate seven. Being a qb with that star on the helmet can set you up for life and the fact that Romo is by all accounts a great guy.

EastexHawg

Jerry made his decision but wasn't man enough to live with it, so he hedged his bet by basically ending the career of the guy he cast off, who by the way broke bones and punctured a lung for Jerry and his team.

Jerry was too much of a coward to face the possibility that Romo might overshadow his Cowboys next year or cause any second guessing, so he forced a man out of the league for the sake of his own ego.

Romo never showed anything but class and continues to cover for Jerry even now.  That's the difference between the two men.  Jerry won't learn from the situation because he doesn't have it within him to be anything other than an attention whore and egotistical manipulator.  All his money won't buy him class and decency...or a championship built of his own skill and volition.

Dr. Starcs

Romo was still under contract.
Nobody forced him to do anything.

If Houston wanted him badly enough, they would've made jerry an offer he couldn't refuse.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 07, 2017, 11:46:56 pm
Really?  That's your take from all this, that Jerry did Romo a favor?  It was obvious Romo still wanted to play.  It was equally obvious that Jerry didn't want him to play, especially for Houston.

So Jerry, being the egotistical and manipulative jerk he is, had his cake and ate it, too.  He chose the QB he wanted for his own team AND basically forced Romo into retirement by refusing to release him in time for him to make a deal and get to work with another team.

Jerry's handling of this situation has been classless and sorry.  I'll never feel the same way about the Cowboys as long as he is around and running the team because I can't root for a man like that.
No, I never said or even implied that Jerry did Romo a favor. Then again, not sure he did him a disservice either.  Whatever the case I'm not going to personally get worked up about it. Sorry, but I can't see that Tony is exactly having to go on welfare or food stamps. In the end I honestly can't get wrapped up in the fate of a player, no matter how good or nice, that is still going to be just fine, thank you. And as far as what I think or don't think of how it was handled by JJ, frankly I'm not all that interested one way or another.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 08, 2017, 05:00:58 pm
Romo was still under contract.
Nobody forced him to do anything.

If Houston wanted him badly enough, they would've made jerry an offer he couldn't refuse.

How do you know what anyone did or didn't offer, or what Jerry made known he wanted?

Jerry not only didn't release Romo as he apparently told him he would, he told everyone he might hold onto him until training camp.  That meant (a) other teams couldn't afford to wait for him; and (b) if Romo waited to see if Jerry would let him move on to another team the announcing job opportunity would be past.

Think back to all the "theories" that have been offered on this board to explain Jerry Jones' treatment of Romo, going back to the end of the regular season when he basically threw the Eagles game by playing Mark Sanchez.  Remember how that was going to get the Cowboys the best trade value for Tony?

BS.

In the end, Jerry got what he really wanted.  He forced him of the game so no one would be able to watch Romo with his new team and compare them to the Cowboys and their QB going forward.  That's all he wanted because all that matters to Jerry is Jerry and his ego.

When I was a child I thought the guys with my team's logo on their helmets were always right, always the good guys.  I can no longer convince myself of that, and I don't think I really want to.  Does that hurt my enjoyment of sports?  Yeah, maybe.