Jeff Long

Started by Hogs-n-Roses, September 10, 2017, 01:38:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is he the man for the AD job at Arkansas

Yes , And needs to keep Bret B.
72 (14.3%)
Yes, just needs to hire a new head coach
103 (20.5%)
No, he is on a seperate page from the fanbase,hire someone new.
327 (65.1%)

Total Members Voted: 501

gchamblee

Quote from: tusked on September 12, 2017, 11:34:03 am
If this is all it takes to be given the keys to the Razorback Bugatti then that's why the hogs are in the athletic mess they're in.

I don't know you or many of your post, not meaning to knock you but I just don't get it.

A man of your stature should have some pull up on the hill. Can you wade in and offer some help? Please update us on the progress.

Tusks

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 11:39:17 am
A man of your stature should have some pull up on the hill. Can you wade in and offer some help? Please update us on the progress.

You have a little JL in you.  You deflect away from problems with the program to go after and question the credentials of the posters questioning the problems.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 12, 2017, 11:37:24 am
I think Long did the right thing with Petrino. I also think he has done a pretty good job of bringing "name" coaches to Arkansas in difficult circumstances. But you might have a point (or you might not). The problem at Arkansas, especially in football (and I think the Anderson hire falls into an entirely different category), is recruiting. This is argued back and forth endlessly on this site partly because, as another poster suggested, it can't be fixed (or easily fixed) so many don't want to acknowledge the fact ("diamonds in the rough" "coach-em up" "player development").

If that problem is acknowledged then Long's argument would be that the people in the best position to overcome it are "name" coaches. Now he might be wrong- you might be right- another more intuitive AD might see something in a small school coach or a coordinator and that might be a better hire than a name head coach. But how many ADs can you name who have done that in a situation like Arkansas? And just how do you think it would go down with the fan base if a John Pelfrey-type hire was made in football? This board would be howling for Long's scalp if that type of hire failed. This is a difficult job because the coach is caught between a rock and a hard spot- the somewhat unrealistic demands of the fan base and the realities of recruiting to Arkansas in the SEC
It would go down in flames, yes. If Long hired an unproven guy and he didn't work out, he would be hung in effigy.
He knows that and in my opinion goes the 'safe' route by only targeting known commodities for the major sports.
The bottom line is, though, he gets paid to make the right and best decisions for the UA's success. If that means the best choice is a proven guy, great. If it's the more unknown guy, he gets paid to make the tough decisions and have his neck on the line. That's exactly his job.

I agree that Arkansas job is a tough one. I'm on record many times in the past that the Ark football coach cannot be merely 'good', he must be 'great' at his job in order for Ark to hang in the SEC. We've had two exceptional coaches at Ark, Broyles and Petrino. We've had several 'good' coaches, but only two 'great' ones in my opinion.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 11:33:14 am
Reply #32 in this thread...

Jeff Longs notes regarding the Petrino incident...

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jeff-long-notes.pdf

Bobby Petrinos Personnel file

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/bobby-petrino-personnel-file.pdf

John Fagg's notes

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jon-fagg-notes.pdf

Jessica Dorrell's Personnel file

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jessica-dorrell-personnel-file.pdf

There aren't any pictures so you might need to get someone to read it to you.

Like I said, you just believe Jeff Long when he saiys he didn't know about the affair. Keep kissing his backside, you'll learn the hard way.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

gchamblee

Quote from: tusked on September 12, 2017, 11:44:03 am
You have a little JL in you.  You deflect away from problems with the program to go after and question the credentials of the posters questioning the problems.

Thank you. That is very flattering.

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 11:44:50 am
Like I said, you just believe Jeff Long when he saiys he didn't know about the affair. Keep kissing his backside, you'll learn the hard way.

So I give you notes of public record as evidence and you dismiss it in favor of your personal opinion which is EXACTLY what I accused you of. You just confirmed it. Now continue brigading like I also predicted.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

redneckfriend

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 12, 2017, 11:44:11 am
It would go down in flames, yes. If Long hired an unproven guy and he didn't work out, he would be hung in effigy.
He knows that and in my opinion goes the 'safe' route by only targeting known commodities for the major sports.
The bottom line is, though, he gets paid to make the right and best decisions for the UA's success. If that means the best choice is a proven guy, great. If it's the more unknown guy, he gets paid to make the tough decisions and have his neck on the line. That's exactly his job.

I agree that Arkansas job is a tough one. I'm on record many times in the past that the Ark football coach cannot be merely 'good', he must be 'great' at his job in order for Ark to hang in the SEC. We've had two exceptional coaches at Ark, Broyles and Petrino. We've had several 'good' coaches, but only two 'great' ones in my opinion.

To give the devil his due Petrino is a "great" coach (I'm not sure I'd put Broyles in that category but that's my opinion). I am absolutely sure that when Jackson leaves the pocket EVERY wr knows exactly, to the yard marker and to the second, where he is supposed to be and Jackson knows exactly where they will be. That was the way Bobby made up for his talent deficits at Arkansas- obsessive attention to detail on offense and I doubt any other coach in the country can equal it. The problem, as has been pointed out over and over, was that Bobby thought that his ability as a football coach placed him above the standards applied to others (and let's face it, it does, no other coach would have gone from disgrace to national prominence so quickly without the history even being mentioned on Saturday by the broadcasters). That is part of the reason I have such very firm opinion about him- a society cannot allow different rules and standards based abilities unrelated to the issue at hand. It seems a small thing ("just forgive Bobby, just this one time, because he brings us so much." And of course the next time and the next time). Even worse are the rationalizers ("he really didn't do anything more than a lot of people do and they aren't punished like he was". Except he used money that wasn't his to do it and lied about it and on and on). But to give in to that kind of thinking opens the door to a slippery slope where some are privileged and others are not.

RME

Quote from: tusked on September 12, 2017, 11:53:35 am
To some not all.

Who on this board wouldn't wanna be the AD for the University of Arkansas and make a cool $1.015 million a year?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 12, 2017, 01:29:05 pm
To give the devil his due Petrino is a "great" coach (I'm not sure I'd put Broyles in that category but that's my opinion). I am absolutely sure that when Jackson leaves the pocket EVERY wr knows exactly, to the yard marker and to the second, where he is supposed to be and Jackson knows exactly where they will be. That was the way Bobby made up for his talent deficits at Arkansas- obsessive attention to detail on offense and I doubt any other coach in the country can equal it. The problem, as has been pointed out over and over, was that Bobby thought that his ability as a football coach placed him above the standards applied to others (and let's face it, it does, no other coach would have gone from disgrace to national prominence so quickly without the history even being mentioned on Saturday by the broadcasters). That is part of the reason I have such very firm opinion about him- a society cannot allow different rules and standards based abilities unrelated to the issue at hand. It seems a small thing ("just forgive Bobby, just this one time, because he brings us so much." And of course the next time and the next time). Even worse are the rationalizers ("he really didn't do anything more than a lot of people do and they aren't punished like he was". Except he used money that wasn't his to do it and lied about it and on and on). But to give in to that kind of thinking opens the door to a slippery slope where some are privileged and others are not.
My personal opinion is that I do not fault Jeff Long either way for Petrino.
A pretty good case can be made that Long should have realized the talent Petrino had and gone to any length to keep him while punishing him and not tolerating what he did. We'll never know what all was discussed there. It's also easier to feel when you're #5 in the country that you can get rid of the problem and someone else can come in and keep the ball rolling. And it just doesn't work like that.
But I for one cannot bring myself to fault Long for firing him. He had grounds.
It's just one of those things that stinks for Razorback fans.

About Broyles, I consider him 'great' because he built Razorback football as we know it, and took it to its highest level in 1964. And played for another in 1969. Only two programs were better in that decade(Tex and Alabama). Fayetteville really was the end of the earth back then, so remote, so what Broyles did was a remarkable job in my opinion. Since he started it all, I still consider him the greatest Hog football coach ever.

This is my current list:
1)Broyles
2)Petrino
3)Holtz
4)Nutt
5)Hatfield
6)Bielema
7)Ford
8)Crowe

The Hawg Marshal

I'd put Hatfield ahead of Nutt.

Hogdomer

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 12, 2017, 11:44:11 am

Does it take a a good or a great coach to beat TCU, Texas Tech and Toledo at home?  How about Texas A&M?  Maybe the coach we have is neither good nor great.

redneckfriend

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 12, 2017, 02:12:24 pm
My personal opinion is that I do not fault Jeff Long either way for Petrino.
A pretty good case can be made that Long should have realized the talent Petrino had and gone to any length to keep him while punishing him and not tolerating what he did. We'll never know what all was discussed there. It's also easier to feel when you're #5 in the country that you can get rid of the problem and someone else can come in and keep the ball rolling. And it just doesn't work like that.
But I for one cannot bring myself to fault Long for firing him. He had grounds.
It's just one of those things that stinks for Razorback fans.

About Broyles, I consider him 'great' because he built Razorback football as we know it, and took it to its highest level in 1964. And played for another in 1969. Only two programs were better in that decade(Tex and Alabama). Fayetteville really was the end of the earth back then, so remote, so what Broyles did was a remarkable job in my opinion. Since he started it all, I still consider him the greatest Hog football coach ever.

This is my current list:
1)Broyles
2)Petrino
3)Holtz
4)Nutt
5)Hatfield
6)Bielema
7)Ford
8)Crowe

Yes, you are right about Broyles and what he did for Arkansas football. He had a little easier time of it in the SWC but still he made Arkansas football relevant. In my mind the distinction between him and Petrino is that, like Nolan Richardson in basketball, Petrino brings a dimension to football that is unique, especially as a head coach- so many of whom, even the successful ones, are just "managers" (and I would include Sabin there although he does bring the "no excuses" standard to a new level). And like someone else posted, I think you underrate Hatfield. He was a pretty good coach, maybe better than either Nutt or Holtz (who seems to get a lot of mileage out of his Orange Bowl win).

hobhog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 01:31:30 pm
Who on this board wouldn't wanna be the AD for the University of Arkansas and make a cool $1.015 million a year?

I thought everyone on here WAS the AD?

hoghearted

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 12, 2017, 01:29:05 pm

You keep saying this, and it still isn't true. She was on the payroll of the Foundation. She resigned some two weeks after she was hired. We've already established that she met the qualifications, and though she was 'knocking boots', that doesn't mean she wasn't doing her job.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on September 12, 2017, 02:47:48 pm
I thought everyone on here WAS the AD?

I thought everyone made $1.05m, we aren't doing anything productive.......

The real Hogules

Quote from: lefty08 on September 12, 2017, 10:24:54 am
Its because Bjelema was a good hire at the time, they just dont want to admit it.mi have no clue why people hate Long short of ignorance. The dude does his job as well as anyone for what he has to work with
He had Bobby freaking Petrino to work with!
If he doesn't screw the pooch Petrino's still here! The $#!t would have blown over and we could have moved on.
Instead he fires the best damn head football coach to ever coach at the university of Arkansas.
I'm ALL for athletes making their grades, going to class and staying out of trouble, but why does having those types
of things have to come at the cost of victories on the gridiron?
Why can't we have both good kids and victories?
Jeff Long makes it sound as if it's and either/or type of situation, but I think he's dead wrong.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on September 12, 2017, 02:15:16 pm
I'd put Hatfield ahead of Nutt.
I love Hatfield, one of my favorite people, and very good coach.
The reason I put Nutt slightly ahead was because of SEC vs SWC. They both did some very good things at times, and you could argue Nutt had a little more difficult road.

EastexHawg

I said it at the time Long fired Petrino and hired Smiley and I will say it again.  We should print bumper stickers and t-shirts that proclaim our (actual) motto:

"Arkansas - Too Stupid To Win"

Does anyone think Bama would fire Saban for what Petrino did?  For that matter, does anyone think any of us would ever even know about it?  The girl would be paid off and sign the equivalent of a gag order, the AD would tell everyone to keep his mouth shut, and the program would roll right along. 

Long had his Jerry Jones-Jimmy Johnson moment when he decided any ol' coach could win at Arkansas.  That's because he doesn't understand Arkansas football and all the factors that surround it, doesn't understand what it takes to win in the SEC, and wouldn't know the right football coach for the situation if he tripped over him.  If Bielema leaves and Long gets the chance to hire his replacement, it will be pure luck if we end up any better off than we are right now.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 12, 2017, 03:24:34 pm
I said it at the time Long fired Petrino and hired Smiley and I will say it again.  We should print bumper stickers and t-shirts that proclaim our (actual) motto:

"Arkansas - Too Stupid To Win"

Does anyone think Bama would fire Saban for what Petrino did?  For that matter, does anyone think any of us would ever even know about it?  The girl would be paid off and sign the equivalent of a gag order, the AD would tell everyone to keep his mouth shut, and the program would roll right along. 

Long had his Jerry Jones-Jimmy Johnson moment when he decided any ol' coach could win at Arkansas.  That's because he doesn't understand Arkansas football and all the factors that surround it, doesn't understand what it takes to win in the SEC, and wouldn't know the right football coach for the situation if he tripped over him.  If Bielema leaves and Long gets the chance to hire his replacement, it will be pure luck if we end up any better off than we are right now.
You cannot let this man hire the next coach here. Maybe he'll resign.

DeltaBoy

Jeff is Long on Fund raising but SHORT on RESULTS!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

gchamblee

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 02:49:37 pm
You keep saying this, and it still isn't true. She was on the payroll of the Foundation. She resigned some two weeks after she was hired. We've already established that she met the qualifications, and though she was 'knocking boots', that doesn't mean she wasn't doing her job.

He supplemented her salary with his personal money which was a breach of contract.

Gonzo

"Supplemented her salary"? Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Go Hogs!

Hello Ryan MalletsEgo.  I am going to remove one of your bucket list items.  I was never ever behind BB as the HC.  Didn't know he was available when hired.  If i was the absolute authority and could have solely made the pick for our new HC, BB would not have been chosen, period.  Just one reason, his choice of style.  It goes to the old axiom, you cannot out BAMA, BAMA.  Arkansas will never be successful trying to power run the ball against SEC competition.  We do not get the personnel to power run the ball that well.  Case closed, No doubt in my mind. Ain't gonna happen.  No to BB, period.  And after I decided  what I know about running the ball in the SEC, my second reason for not hiring BB would be, why hire a power running coach who will be forced to eventually operate a system he doesn't believe in when I can hire someone who is OK with a passing and running attack and is willing to do either in a split second.

Now, the big moment.  Is the bucket list ready:::::I would have offered the job to Gus Malzahn first and he would taken it in my opinion.  If not, my second choice would have been Butch Davis and I believe he would have taken the job.  I would have gone after an up and comer before BB.  BB was never a fit here, never.  And I say that and said that long before I realized the personality he has and the poor developer of attitude he is.  BB never, ever stood a chance with his style of play if winning games was important.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 03:56:34 pm
He supplemented her salary with his personal money which was a breach of contract.

Not true. He gave her the money as a gift (which was a stupid move). It had nothing to do with her salary. He gave it to her while she was working for the Razorback Foundation which is separate from the University.

redneckfriend

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 02:49:37 pm

That is about as weak as it gets. Let me make myself clear. He hired her with money that wasn't his as a reward for her letting him bang her- not because she was so damn good at her job ("player development coordinator"- whatever that was supposed to be). If you want to idolize Bobby go ahead but don't fudge the facts of what happened as if there is some mitigating excuse hidden there. Petrino's abuse of power was breath taking for the sheer arrogance and for the disregard of everyone around him it betrayed.

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 06:50:06 pm
Not true. He gave her the money as a gift (which was a stupid move). It had nothing to do with her salary. He gave it to her while she was working for the Razorback Foundation which is separate from the University.

i really cant unstupid you.

hoghearted

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 13, 2017, 12:11:17 am
That is about as weak as it gets. Let me make myself clear. He hired her with money that wasn't his as a reward for her letting him bang her- not because she was so damn good at her job ("player development coordinator"- whatever that was supposed to be). If you want to idolize Bobby go ahead but don't fudge the facts of what happened as if there is some mitigating excuse hidden there. Petrino's abuse of power was breath taking for the sheer arrogance and for the disregard of everyone around him it betrayed.

who is fudging facts? I've already said his hiring of her was stupid dumb. And I don't idolize him. Neither do I make him out to be on par with Pol Pot. You seem to have taken the whole incident entirely too personal, and sound like a jilted lover. Maybe you are the one who set him on a pedestal, and when he fell off, had to overcompensate.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

HoggyCat

No one GAF about grades until Long fired Petrino, which led to ESPN glorifying us, which led to the sheep falling for everything that self-supporting ego maniac said, which led to a fan base that thinks he's something he's not. Jeff Long is only worried about Jeff Long. He lied to support his cause to her Petrino out (he didn't want to hire him, he was mad because he got his toes stepped on and forced to hire Petrino instead of Grobe), he dismissed a rape scandal instead of doing what was truly honorable and full of integrity. He has as much honor and integrity as Bill Clinton. Which ironically, he put that piece of trash on a pedestal in front of the fans at Bud Walton as well. 
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 12, 2017, 03:31:44 pm
Jeff is Long on Fund raising but SHORT on RESULTS!

Raising funds is a result. Just not the one some get all emotional about.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HoggyCat

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 09:58:27 am
You didn't read his notes did you. I posted them a few posts up to answer that question for you. You guys can stop speculating if you would just read the notes, but you don't have the attention span to read them. It is easier to act pissed over a Jeff Long lie while defending many Bobby Petrino lies. You guys can see in the notes that he asked Bobby to help him find  way to defend his actions and act like Bobby is the lesser of the 2 evils here.

This thread is an example of how many win at all costs fans we have, and how stupid they are willing to act to justify that position.

You want to bring Long's notes into it? Let's do it.  I have 200+ pages of everything that went down during that ordeal. I can show you COUNTLESS lies but that POS AD. So if you or anyone else want to sit down and go through it, message me.

And maybe Long didn't know, but everyone else up there did; including his right hand man Chris Wyrick. 

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hoghearted on September 13, 2017, 06:48:17 am
who is fudging facts? I've already said his hiring of her was stupid dumb. And I don't idolize him. Neither do I make him out to be on par with Pol Pot. You seem to have taken the whole incident entirely too personal, and sound like a jilted lover. Maybe you are the one who set him on a pedestal, and when he fell off, had to overcompensate.
Just keep up your game in the way you do. All these few folks on here are going to do is keep calling you names and charging you with the BP thing. Its weak and all they got. This is a poll about Jeff Long and I'm not sure but think he prolly is the one who technically hires and fires them. Either way the other side of this thing , we'll call them the Jeffies, are going to bring Bobby into it cuz its all they got.

This Poll was about choices 1),2) or3). I actually considered asking for no comments to be made but deferred as now the Jeffies have become entertaining. Always remember they are Jeff fans not Hog fans. No real Hog fan would ever be OK with this buyout,the company line being"its not about wins and losses but grades and uncommonness, or the big thing which is the product on the field and asctally the idea of it taking 5-7-9 years to get your system in.

redneckfriend

Quote from: hoghearted on September 13, 2017, 06:48:17 am

You may have something there- let's break it down. Petrino was (is) a damn good coach- very possibly the best coach Arkansas will ever have. Petrino, based on his actions, is also a poor excuse for a human being and not a person worthy of representing the state. If he hadn't betrayed the school, players and fans for his own selfish indulgencies he might still be the coach and we might have a decent football team. But his narcissism was such that the school, the players and the fans just didn't matter enough in something as ethically clear as not using money that wasn't his to hire his mistress to a sham job, I assume partly so that she would be available on trips (and partly as a reward for "services rendered").

Now arguments have broken out on this site (again) regarding culpability and a lot of fans posting here seem to want to place blame on Jeff Long for firing Petrino. There are a number of arguments but they break down into categories: 1) I don't care what he did all I care about is winning; 2) what he did wasn't so bad- a lot of men cheat on their wives and that is between them; 3) he might have made a little mistake but Jeff Long could have overlooked it; 4) Jeff Long knew what was going on all of the time and is a hypocrite and a martyr to "integrity" and look where that has gotten us.

Bobby just gets a free pass from these fans. The embarrassment caused the school and the state are nothing compared to winning. Being an honest, ethical person is okay but not too important in the great scheme of things. Is that really the standard you and others want to hand down to your children? Is that the Christian standard? Jackson Browne had a line in a song once that sums it up pretty well "Nothing survives but the way we live our lives".

HoggyCat

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 03:56:34 pm

Wrong.  Go review your notes from Jeffi and you will see the truth. The money he gave her was at Christmas.  She was hired the following March. ANOTHER lie Long told.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

I can't stand Long. He is overrated imo. Not sure why he gets the praise he does.

GuvHog

Quote from: HoggyCat on September 13, 2017, 09:41:52 am
Wrong.  Go review your notes from Jeffi and you will see the truth. The money he gave her was at Christmas.  She was hired the following March. ANOTHER lie Long told.

Exactly! +1000!

Kevin

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 11:47:02 am
So I give you notes of public record as evidence and you dismiss it in favor of your personal opinion which is EXACTLY what I accused you of. You just confirmed it. Now continue brigading like I also predicted.

long might not have known, but I find it hard to believe that nobody in the athletic department knew of the affair before the wreck
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hoglady

I would wager that if Broyles had been AD he would have known what was going down.
And it would have been addressed long before that motorcycle ran into the ditch.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

gchamblee

Quote from: HoggyCat on September 13, 2017, 09:41:52 am

So if I wanted to hire someone for more money than they could be paid for the university, and gave that person a supplement right before they got hired, that's cool? Ya ok. You love your loopholes don't ya.

HoggyCat

And we're nowhere near the top of the SEC in grades. So at what cost are we below mediocre??   

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/05/2017-ncaa-academic-progress-rate-football-apr-rankings-by-conference

HoggyCat

Quote from: gchamblee on September 13, 2017, 10:58:37 am
So if I wanted to hire someone for more money than they could be paid for the university, and gave that person a supplement right before they got hired, that's cool? Ya ok. You love your loopholes don't ya.

Right before??? Three months isn't "right before". Hell, the position she applied for wasn't even available at the time of the gift.  Geez. Quit believing everything you're told by Jeffi by and his media.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 10, 2017, 01:38:16 pm
I voted #3 as he has a 19-43 record in the SEC and I think he's the wrong person for the job in other ways. Such as the constant pumping up of the grades and graduation rates like they are as important as winning games and not being embarrassed regularly.I think the grades and graduation issues are important but as long as we're within NCAA limitations,I'm fine. For example. In all the years and games I went to I never looked down there and said" Boy ole #73 has a 3.99 overall GPA" WOW, I'm proud of that. If he has a 2.6 and is wrecking backfields from the DT spot, I'm just fine.

He. Ant even really use it since we're 10th in SEC in academic progress.

bigeasyhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 12, 2017, 09:20:11 am
Lol wow. Hell of a time to double down on the winning doesn't matter stuff. Wow wow wow.

I miss Frank Broyles. For all his faults...you never would've heard him relate to fans this message that winning doesn't matter or is secondary. Especially the day or so after a terrible loss at home.

Personally, I find it extremely weak on Jeff Longs' part to make the quick leap to the " win at all costs.." comment. Clearly, he's insinuating, by this somewhat veiled comment, that either you have to be willing to cheat in order to win at a high level, or our conference rivals sell out to that in order to achieve high level winning results. Actually, I think it's probably both.
That said, outside of Ole Miss currently, I'm not aware of any other SEC program under serious investigation? Although, I have always considered Auburn to be the SMU of the SEC ( no , I can't prove anything).

What's strange is, I hadn't noticed any chatter about fans or alumni promoting a " win at all costs..." agenda prior to his remarks earlier this week.
The last time I can even recall us having any issues was at the end of the Ford tenure. There was an alum in the Dallas area that was employing some players, and apparently, he was being a little generous with the compensation.
When I look back to various periods under coaches like Holtz, Hatfield and even Nutt and Petrino, we have been able to win , at times, at a high level ad garner national recognition. And, for the most part, we've done it the right way.
I don't think it's unrealistic to have higher expectations than what we are receiving. I believe Arkansas is a program , with the right coach, that can compete and should be able to be in the running for the division occasionally , and actually get to the tote game, which we've already done three times.
( que the excuse makers here with rival issues, etc in 95 or 02, whatever)
Lastly, if we're going to place academics over on the field success, then why are we investing top 20 finances in coaches and facilities? And in that vein, it appears that if our priority is on academics, etc there's half a dozen conference rivals beating us there AND on the field, so apparently we're not that competitive in any arena. Jeff Long is not, and never will be"fully invested " personally in our program, because,simply he's not one of us; he's not a native or an alum. It's just a career position for him. He doesn't have to walk out of the luxury box during a close game like Broyles did, because he doesn't live and die with every play, nor will he ever.

Uberanubis

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 10:49:47 am
It shouldn't have been necessary to make a hire then because there shouldn't have been a vacancy. Firing BP was a major mistake. A competent AD doesn't fire a Head coach who just led his team to a #12 and #5 final national ranking in back to back seasons while running a clean program that isn't even close to being investigated ny the NCAA, he handles it in house. Suspend him for a couple of months and dock his pay? Yes, but don't fire him.

IF YOU HIRE YOUR Frank BUDDY AS A COWORKER YOU ARE MAKING THE INSTITUTION LIABLE FOR A LAW SUIT. it is against federal law because it violates the EOA. knuckle daggers just don't understand. HE HAD TO BE FIRED.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Hoggie17

Jeff Long hung CBB around our necks with the Hugh buyout. It was not in the best interest of Arkansas football.  We need an AD thinks or our program first and his friends much further down the page. How many more mistakes will Long continue to make.

I don't trust him to do what is right for our athletic department, and for that reason I want another AD. It should be someone that bleeds Razorback Red. It would be much better if he came in with the attitude of making Arkansas a national power. It can be done, Broyles did it.  Winning can be done, BP did it.

BigE_23

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 11:33:14 am
Reply #32 in this thread...

Jeff Longs notes regarding the Petrino incident...

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jeff-long-notes.pdf

Bobby Petrinos Personnel file

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/bobby-petrino-personnel-file.pdf

John Fagg's notes

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jon-fagg-notes.pdf

Jessica Dorrell's Personnel file

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jessica-dorrell-personnel-file.pdf

There aren't any pictures so you might need to get someone to read it to you.

If you scroll down in Bobby's personnel file you'll find several memos that indicate CBP was paid bonuses for good APR numbers. That's not possible though, right?

Jeff told us that the program was in the tank just a few months later! We needed Bert to come rescue us from the sins of Bobby Petrino's reckless leadership. We needed someone who would build "the program the right way" and didn't care about "winning at all costs".

Perhaps Bobby wasn't the one entirely responsible for the drop in numbers, and maybe the bulk of that dipped under Smiley??

hoghearted

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 13, 2017, 09:40:41 am
You may have something there- let's break it down. Petrino was (is) a damn good coach- very possibly the best coach Arkansas will ever have. Petrino, based on his actions, is also a poor excuse for a human being and not a person worthy of representing the state. If he hadn't betrayed the school, players and fans for his own selfish indulgencies he might still be the coach and we might have a decent football team. But his narcissism was such that the school, the players and the fans just didn't matter enough in something as ethically clear as not using money that wasn't his to hire his mistress to a sham job, I assume partly so that she would be available on trips (and partly as a reward for "services rendered").

Now arguments have broken out on this site (again) regarding culpability and a lot of fans posting here seem to want to place blame on Jeff Long for firing Petrino. There are a number of arguments but they break down into categories: 1) I don't care what he did all I care about is winning; 2) what he did wasn't so bad- a lot of men cheat on their wives and that is between them; 3) he might have made a little mistake but Jeff Long could have overlooked it; 4) Jeff Long knew what was going on all of the time and is a hypocrite and a martyr to "integrity" and look where that has gotten us.

Bobby just gets a free pass from these fans. The embarrassment caused the school and the state are nothing compared to winning. Being an honest, ethical person is okay but not too important in the great scheme of things. Is that really the standard you and others want to hand down to your children? Is that the Christian standard? Jackson Browne had a line in a song once that sums it up pretty well "Nothing survives but the way we live our lives".

Point 1: Bobby did not 'betray' the school, the players, or the fans. He betrayed his wife, which is reprehensible. However, he did embarrass the school, which violated his contract, and left him subject to dismissal.

Point 2: I don't know that it is a 'sham' job. Is it a position common to collegiate sports? Certainly it made their liasion more convenient.

Point 3: Certainly Long was within his rights to terminate him. However, I think he handled it badly, insofar as how it impacted Razorback football. He deserved an Oscar for that tear filled press conference. It shone a bright light on an event that probably would have dropped off the media's radar within a couple weeks. The program still hasn't recovered from it. Instead, Long, being a marketing genius, used it to burnish his image as some sort of superior, moral authority. Even going so far as to sign off on those ridiculous t-shirts. Why else do you think he was selected to chair that committee?

So to sum up: what Bobby did was not only bad, but incredibly stupid. Long was within his rights to terminate, but could have handled it in a way that was more beneficial to the program. He ended up using it for his own ends (not that I think it was some kind of master plan, it just fell in his lap).

GuvHog

Quote from: Kevin on September 13, 2017, 09:52:44 am
long might not have known, but I find it hard to believe that nobody in the athletic department knew of the affair before the wreck

Long knew about it as did everyone in the BAC. The Long huggers are scared to death that the truth will come out and Long will be exposed. Hoggycat has them on the run though. Notice that None of the Long huggers have bothered to accept his offer to buy their lunch and look at the evidence he has.

bigeasyhog

It's really pretty simple we made a mercenary hire in Long. He's not a native or an alum. Now, it can work with a "hired gun", but you have to acknowledge it for it is going into that type of transaction. Further, you have to understand that not all mercenaries are equal, and able to perform and excel the same. Knowing that, you have to have the mindset, going in, that if said hired gun can't accomplish the mission, you terminate the relationship and its next up.
There's no doubt in my mind an AD with ties to the school is going to work a little harder, a little longer and be more invested in the end product day in, day out.

bigeasyhog

Also, what kind of legacy hire did he make while at Pitt? Again, a mercenary post for him. Bet Pitt wouldn't be falling over themselves to get him back either.