Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Beer Really That Bad When Trying To Lose Weight?

Started by SwazyHog, June 08, 2010, 10:17:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SwazyHog

I've heard that it's not necessarily the beer that gives guys the "beer Belly" it's the food that they eat when consuming beer on a regular basis. The reason I ask is cause my friends and I tend to drink a good amount of beer on the weekends but I still workout for at least an hour 3-4x a week and struggle tighten up my mid section. Any thoughts?
"I felt like I owed it to the state. They let me come in and transfer here to Arkansas, and I felt like it wouldn't be fair after one year to just up and leave."

"This is your Public Service Announcement  for 2010: Remember, No One's Buckass Snitshit Crazier Than Arkansas Fans."

CurDog64

Quote from: SwazyHog on June 08, 2010, 10:17:01 am
I've heard that it's not necessarily the beer that gives guys the "beer Belly" it's the food that they eat when consuming beer on a regular basis. The reason I ask is cause my friends and I tend to drink a good amount of beer on the weekends but I still workout for at least an hour 3-4x a week and struggle tighten up my mid section. Any thoughts?

Heres how I look at it, right or wrong.  Light Beer, Miller or Bud, is about 100 calories per.  I usually just incorporate that as food calories.  If im going to get drunk, or have more than 6 beers in a night, I will eat breakfast, lunch, an afternoon snack, and nothing for dinner but beer or alcohol.  Usually equals the same amount of calories total.

Now buck has mentioned several times about beer being an estrogen metabolite, that I have no idea of, so maybe he can go more in depth than I can

Buck Ocean

Quote from: CurDog64 on June 08, 2010, 02:37:29 pm
Now buck has mentioned several times about beer being an estrogen metabolite, that I have no idea of, so maybe he can go more in depth than I can

I'd be delighted.  I would like to find you guys some hardcore, iron ripping article out of Muscular Developement.   But since I know we may have people who really don't care about the bodybuilding side it seems most people are concerned about weight management.  So in this case, here you go:

http://www.andropausecanada.com/when.php
Think like a Jedi

Buck Ocean

And if you want to know what i think about it, i'll give you that take as well.  If you have personal goals you want to achieve, ditch the alcohol.   Also try and ditch the dope and pills because this can cause setbacks. 

Here's a pretty good cardinal rule I'll tell you from my own experience and lots and lots of research.  And perhaps i'm a pioneer with this statement:

Extreme liver usage will cause high estrogen, no matter what the drug (steroids included) or liquor of choice is.
Think like a Jedi

hostilehog

what kind of workouts are you doing? beer certainly wont help but anything in moderation is OK...I've dropped from a 36 inch waist to a 32 inch waist in about 5 months mostly by starting to run.  I run about 20-25 miles a week and I usually have at least a couple of drinks a night (Crown and diet). If I'm going to drink beer, I drink Becks Premium light (my favorite light beer...only 63 calories and tastes like beer instead of that watered down domestic stuff). If I had to drink domestic, I'd go with the new Bud Select 55. Diet also  plays a huge part in tightening up the midsection..tons of articles out there about belly busting foods.
The gene pool around here could use a little chlorine

HamminItUp

I really don't have any knowledge about the general impact of beer on your waist.

But coming from a guy who consumes a ton of beer on the weekends....A trainer at the gym I just signed up for explained the importance of keeping my heart rate at a fat burning level during cardio. He suggested maintaining a heart rate of 135 to 145 after 35 minutes of weight lifting. He said if you work your cardio at a harder rate you are going to break down the muscle you're trying to build.

After three weeks this seems very accurate. As previously stated I drink a lot beer on the weekends. I also eat out for lunch everyday but eat reasonably healthy at home for dinner 5/7 nights a week. Combining this with good water consumption has helped me trim my stomach down pretty well in a short time.

In summation, I'm able to drink plenty of beer and cut fat during the week. Obviously a lot of other factors such as age impact your ability to do this. Just my 2 cents.

hawgrunner

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/fitness_top_ten/35b_fitness_list.html

QuoteNumber 4

Reduce your alcohol intake

Although there is conflicting evidence as to whether or not alcohol causes weight gain, alcohol does contain a lot of "empty calories." And since men tend to deposit extra calories as fat in their bellies, drinking alcohol may contribute to those dreaded love handles. I'm not saying to pour all your beer and liquor down the sink, but drink alcohol in moderation if you're trying to lose weight, or try "light" or low-carb versions.

CusefaninAR

Well, I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis...

hogfan064

July 07, 2010, 04:21:02 pm #8 Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:23:14 pm by hogfan064
Quote from: CurDog64 on June 08, 2010, 02:37:29 pm
Heres how I look at it, right or wrong.  Light Beer, Miller or Bud, is about 100 calories per.  I usually just incorporate that as food calories.  If im going to get drunk, or have more than 6 beers in a night, I will eat breakfast, lunch, an afternoon snack, and nothing for dinner but beer or alcohol.  Usually equals the same amount of calories total.

This certainly isn't healthy.

As someone who is 31 and has worked out for 17 years I can tell you that no good comes from being a drinker. 

If you just want to be an average guy, workout a few times a week, and look decent then stick with the beer. 

If you would like true results and would like to live a much healthier life then stop the drinking.

I drank beer just like any college kid back in the day or someone in their early 20's.  Since then I have dramatically cut down the drinking.  In 2010 I haven't had a single beer and I am in the best shape of my life.  My workouts are much better and I feel great.

Beer, sodas, chips, cookies, and cakes are the worst things to consume when trying to get in shape.  Very little positive comes from eating/drinking these things.

SwazyHog

Quote from: hogfan064 on July 07, 2010, 04:21:02 pm
This certainly isn't healthy.

As someone who is 31 and has worked out for 17 years I can tell you that no good comes from being a drinker. 

If you just want to be an average guy, workout a few times a week, and look decent then stick with the beer. 

If you would like true results and would like to live a much healthier life then stop the drinking.

I drank beer just like any college kid back in the day or someone in their early 20's.  Since then I have dramatically cut down the drinking.  In 2010 I haven't had a single beer and I am in the best shape of my life.  My workouts are much better and I feel great.

Beer, sodas, chips, cookies, and cakes are the worst things to consume when trying to get in shape.  Very little positive comes from eating/drinking these things.
Good advice. Sounds like I might just want to be an average guy. I likes my beer.
"I felt like I owed it to the state. They let me come in and transfer here to Arkansas, and I felt like it wouldn't be fair after one year to just up and leave."

"This is your Public Service Announcement  for 2010: Remember, No One's Buckass Snitshit Crazier Than Arkansas Fans."

hogfan064

Quote from: SwazyHog on July 07, 2010, 04:40:10 pm
Good advice. Sounds like I might just want to be an average guy. I likes my beer.

Nothing wrong with that at all.  I'll never get on anyone for enjoying things they like.  If you like drinking Mountain Dews 4-5 times a day that's fine as well. 

But if you ever want to see some fantastic results cut out those things. 

If you are in your 20s then drinking a few times a week isn't going to hurt you too much(won't help either), but I know few guys in their 30s and 40s that look great when living this kind of lifestyle.  It catches up to everyone eventually.

SwazyHog

Quote from: hogfan064 on July 07, 2010, 04:44:51 pm
Nothing wrong with that at all.  I'll never get on anyone for enjoying things they like.  If you like drinking Mountain Dews 4-5 times a day that's fine as well. 

But if you ever want to see some fantastic results cut out those things. 

If you are in your 20s then drinking a few times a week isn't going to hurt you too much(won't help either), but I know few guys in their 30s and 40s that look great when living this kind of lifestyle.  It catches up to everyone eventually.
Yea well hopefully the fact that I don't ever drink soda will help me out. I generally drink water or juice during the week with the occasional beers after work then I tend to drink a little more on the weekends. I'll just continue the weekly workouts and drink my cold beers  ;)

HogPride

Once I dropped the beer it helped a surprising amount, those calories add up more than you relaize most of the time.

Blutoblutarsky

yea beer all night then 3,000 calories at T-bell at 2 a.m. won't be to your benefit.

TX HOG

I just started lifting weights.  Trying to look good next summer and drop about 30lbs.  this thread is kinda a bummer for me since im gonna be a weekend drinker...

hawgrunner

Quote from: TX HOG on August 31, 2010, 09:08:54 pm
I just started lifting weights.  Trying to look good next summer and drop about 30lbs.  this thread is kinda a bummer for me since im gonna be a weekend drinker...

Shouldn't be a problem if you know what the priority is...

TX HOG

Quote from: rock642 on September 03, 2010, 04:57:13 pm
Shouldn't be a problem if you know what the priority is...

gotta have my weekend beverages...lol

twistitup

Go with clear liquors

Less calories, less drinking, more drunk
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

TX HOG

Quote from: twistitup on September 03, 2010, 06:47:21 pm
Go with clear liquors

Less calories, less drinking, more drunk

i usually drink more whiskey and diet soda than beer now.  beer just feels me up doesn't get me to that "level" easy anymore. I rarely drink clear liquors, mostly whiskey, some beer

hawgrunner

Buck Ocean

Think like a Jedi

Buck Ocean

Quote from: TX HOG on September 03, 2010, 06:44:17 pm
gotta have my weekend beverages...lol

I'm with you.  But if I really want something bad enough, I have to do what it takes to achieve that condition.  My mind is way stronger than anything else.  I simply tell myself "no liquor" from November to May.  I may have one drink or a beer once in between.  Its not just the pleasure of enjoying a drink you are giving up.  Especially on the schedule of a weekend drinker, like myself.  When I drink, I skip meals.  I stay up late.   I end up getting hungry and eat whatever comes in front of me.  I sleep in the next day.  I miss my training.  It literally has a catabolic effect on my physique and schedule.  Sure i still do it....but only in the summer and football season. 
Think like a Jedi