Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jamario Bell

Started by lakecityhog, January 01, 2018, 10:22:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

A consensus four-star prospect by Rivals, ESPN, Scout and 247Sports ... Ranked the 172nd-best player in the nation, the No. 17 defensive end and second-best player in the state of Arkansas by Scout ... Listed at No. 238 in the Rivals250, the No. 4 player in Arkansas and No. 11 weak side defensive end in the country according to Rivals ... ESPN ranked him at No. 274 in the ESPN 300, the No. 24 defensive end nationally and the No. 4 player from Arkansas ... Ranked the No. 4 player in Arkansas and No. 15 strong side defensive end in the nation by 247Sports ... The No. 219 player nationally, No. 13 strong side defensive end and No. 4 player in Arkansas according to 247Composite, a combined index of national recruiting rankings

Freshman (2015)
Transitioned from defensive line to tight end during 2016 spring workouts ... Redshirted as a true freshman.

Redshirt Freshman (2016)
Moved from tight end to linebacker during 2017 spring workouts ... Didn't see any game action.

How many of you expect to see this kid blossom into something special in the next year or so? Could a new staff be the shot in the arm that he needs to turn it on?

How about Nate Dalton? Could he become a QB converted to LB? He is 6'3" and nearly 200 pounds.  Nate was a QB/Safety in HS and is listed as a DB currently. Maybe not quite fast enough for Safety, but plenty fast enough for LB???

I am really excited to see what some of these kids can do with a new staff and a new opportunity!

Peter Porker

For some athletes it's between the ears and in the chest.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

lakecityhog

So your first response is to judge these kids?? You must be one hell-of-a coach!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 01, 2018, 10:25:15 am
while this is true it is THE COACHES job to fix what's in between the ears. This staff was led by a bozo and it was amatuer hour personel wise. Just look how they wasted Jamario Bell. Hell, we are in dire need of a pass rushing DE and we leave the #11 WDE on the bench as a 3rd string OLB or as a 5th string TE smfh.

Fatbert will never have a good job again. If anybody hires him it'll be a small school. I doubt he could get the K State job at this point.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bulldog04

Or the coaching staff not utilizing the athletes appropriately

Kevin

With a new coaching staff, hopefully, some long lost talent will be found again
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Deep Shoat

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 01, 2018, 10:28:23 am
So your first response is to judge these kids?? You must be one hell-of-a coach!
Aren't you judging them? 

Facts are, we will see.  Odds are, some young players will "get it" this year and the geniuses on Hogville will blame the old staff.  When in reality, most kids take a season or three to adjust from high school to the SEC.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

Quote from: bulldog04 on January 01, 2018, 10:31:08 am
Or the coaching staff not utilizing the athletes appropriately

New day, new start for this team. First, it will be interesting to see who leaves before semester starts on January 16th, and after spring practice.

bulldog04

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2018, 10:33:33 am
New day, new start for this team. First, it will be interesting to see who leaves before semester starts on January 16th, and after spring practice.
Yep for some players it will be breath of fresh air and renewed energy

RaisinHog

Jamario also played in 2a football in Arkansas there is quite a curve from there until the SEC .. his measurable were off the charts .. but when he played in HS he wasn't the most physical guy ..

lakecityhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 01, 2018, 10:33:21 am
Aren't you judging them? 

Facts are, we will see.  Odds are, some young players will "get it" this year and the geniuses on Hogville will blame the old staff.  When in reality, most kids take a season or three to adjust from high school to the SEC.

Really?? Please explain the judgmental part of my post cause I really want to hear this.
You are still defending BB at the expense of the players!

I can feel fine with myself over BB leaving, I have never called him names, never commented on his weight and never intentionally misspelled his name in order to down him. I have simply NOT liked the way he coached the team, treated the players and his TERRIBLE roster management. It's not personal, the guy just did not get the job done and there wasn't even a glimmer of hope that he would get any better in the future.

You are correct, only time will tell on any of the kids on the roster and the same goes for Morris and his staff. IF they all get the same opportunity and fail then it is on them. It is the fair opportunity that I think some kids could get this spring and summer, at least I hope.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 01, 2018, 10:31:01 am
while this is true it is THE COACHES job to fix what's in between the ears. This staff was led by a bozo and it was amatuer hour personel wise. Just look how they wasted Jamario Bell. Hell, we are in dire need of a pass rushing DE and we leave the #11 WDE on the bench as a 3rd string OLB or as a 5th string TE smfh.

Fatbert will never have a good job again. If anybody hires him it'll be a small school. I doubt he could get the K State job at this point.
How was a player who is about to be a redshirt SOPHOMORE wasted? 

You're just as big a dumbass when there isn't a coaching search as when there is.
All Gas, No Brakes!

pigbacon

I can only imagine that a new coaching staff will study and evaluate every single returning player individually to study strengths, weaknesses, potential and even personality to get acquainted with what they have on roster.

One thing about it, there is no status quo going into spring ball.

Hoot72

Isn't the reason that Bell didn't play in 2017 because of an injury in fall camp.  If it is, then I don't really know that you can call that year "wasted".

ricepig

Quote from: Hoot72 on January 01, 2018, 10:50:20 am
Isn't the reason that Bell didn't play in 2017 because of an injury in fall camp.  If it is, then I don't really know that you can call that year "wasted".
Yep, the dreaded broken foot......

Deep Shoat

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 01, 2018, 10:44:57 am
Really?? Please explain the judgmental part of my post cause I really want to hear this.
You are still defending BB at the expense of the players!

I can feel fine with myself over BB leaving, I have never called him names, never commented on his weight and never intentionally misspelled his name in order to down him. I have simply NOT liked the way he coached the team, treated the players and his TERRIBLE roster management. It's not personal, the guy just did not get the job done and there wasn't even a glimmer of hope that he would get any better in the future.

You are correct, only time will tell on any of the kids on the roster and the same goes for Morris and his staff. IF they all get the same opportunity and fail then it is on them. It is the fair opportunity that I think some kids could get this spring and summer, at least I hope.
You are judging them as SEC level players.  But you have no clue.  Bell was highly rated, but he came from a tiny little school.  Dalton is transitioning from QB.  Sometimes, things don't work out.  And sometimes they take more than two seasons. 

I don't give two craps about Bielema.  He's not our coach.  But i do find it the height of arrogance for idiot posters on message boards to think they know more than experinced college coaches.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Hoot72 on January 01, 2018, 10:50:20 am

Yes he was injured. As I recall he was running first team at the HOG position, which was the weakside hybrid DE/OLB. If a guy like Bell can reach his 4-star potential our defense will start coming around a lot sooner. He's got two years left and apparently Steve Caldwell as a position coach, so lets hope for the best.

TexArkHogFan

Coming from a small school does not disqualify someone.  If they have the talent it will eventually, like cream,  rise to the top.  Billy Simms came from a small 2A school called Hooks, about 15 miles from Texarkana.  Of course he excelled in high school, but it didn't hold him back in college or the NFL.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

ricepig

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on January 01, 2018, 11:12:47 am
Coming from a small school does not disqualify someone.  If they have the talent it will eventually, like cream,  rise to the top.  Billy Simms came from a small 2A school called Hooks, about 15 miles from Texarkana.  Of course he excelled in high school, but it didn't hold him back in college or the NFL.

Well, to be honest, one of them won the Heisman and played RB, but each player finds their level at their own pace.

Maybe, just maybe, the Freshman RS can gain another year due to the foot injury.  I don't know the rules.

But as for Bret, who some on here keep bellowing that all should, MOVE ON, do we move on from a U S President that folks felt screwed by, during his time and going on and on about how it affects us today, right now.  Bret is a fact of the Razorbacks history, will be in the history books, set several records that will be there, I hope forever.  I certainly don't want many of those records broken, including the latest, the coach paid the most for accomplishing the least. 

Back on the thread, IF this staff does their job, every player on this team will be evaluated, likely interviewed by at least their position coach and hopefully the HC before 2-1-18.  This staff has the responsibility of correcting this teams mental approach to football first and foremost.  The Bell's on this team need to be listened to and find out what their attitude and intent is.  What are they expecting of themselves, the team and the staff.  And they need to hear, clearly, what this staff intends to do for them and the team.  Each of these players need to know what the hell this staff has planned for them assuming they do their part.  I doubt most 4 star players dream about coming to a middle of the road team, as a DL, getting moved to TE, then redshirted, (as a 4 star on a middling team), then moved to LB and then getting injured.  Think this Kid's head is on straight.  Biggest job for this staff is clearing the mindset of 100 players, second is getting them to speed weight, gaining their trust and all this before they even consider seeing a football field.

Smashmouth2004

If there's anyone on the current roster who can be a monster, it's Bell. He needs to settle at a position and the new coaches need to give him the confidence he is lacking!

lakecityhog

Guys, the OP wasn't just about Bell, it was about a lot of guys that could get a new lease on life with a new staff.
Kids like Bell, Dalton, Merrick, Gragg, Wallace and Rogers that in my own opinion may not have been given a really fair shake could see their fortunes change. Maybe we see some kids that were expected to be good actually be good.

I am certain that we have LOTS of SEC level players on the roster, can Morris and staff identify them and prepare them to play like SEC players? I sure hope so.

rude1

Aren't you judging them? 

Seriously? So you bought the idea that in year 5 a walk on true freshman was the best we could find to start on the O-line? That right there is all I need to know to understand the fat man was choosing players not based on anything pertaining to football.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2018, 12:47:24 pm
Seriously? So you bought the idea that in year 5 a walk on true freshman was the best we could find to start on the O-line? That right there is all I need to know to understand the fat man was choosing players not based on anything pertaining to football.

I wasn't the least bit enthused about this season for the first time in my memory this season, but when Bert did that move with Clary, I had a gut feeling it was going to be a looooooong year.

I understand the need to let upperclassmen know that jobs aren't just handed to them based on seniority, that they must work for it and keep their nose clean. But,  then the HC hands a starting job to a true freshman who is not even on scholarship yet?

That was insane! Idiocy such as that sends a message of desperation, not to mention that it seemed like Bert was just throwing darts at a dart board to determine starters at that point. When the player was demoted right after that when he was so obviously unprepared, what was the message then?

A redshirt year was wasted, the player didn't play that much the 2nd half of the season. It just had the appearance of chaos and smacked of desperation.

After the TCU 4th quarter meltdown which gave us the feeling of having seen that movie so many times before came the New Mexico State humdrum performance. Some of us tried to warn that this team was in serious trouble.

That Grant Morgan INT in the endzone possibly saved us from a Coastal Carolina situation, having to come from behind to win or barely hanging on to a lead vs a lower tier team with a 2nd string QB.

The A&M game was deja vu all over again as we watched the team lead almost the entire game only to melt down in the 4th quarter and OT yet again for the 3rd time in 4 years vs the Aggies.

Yet, it wasn't until the USCE game that many fans started to realize that this was a lost season with a bad coach on his way out the door. My time as a Hog fan goes back to the late 60s. Never in my time following this program can I recall a HC making as head-scratching a move as that one at the start of a season, before things went south..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

rude1

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 01, 2018, 01:31:16 pm
I wasn't the least bit enthused about this season for the first time in my memory this season, but when Bert did that move with Clary, I had a gut feeling it was going to be a looooooong year.

I understand the need to let upperclassmen know that jobs aren't just handed to them based on seniority, that they must work for it and keep their nose clean. But,  then the HC hands a starting job to a true freshman who is not even on scholarship yet?

That was insane! Idiocy such as that sends a message of desperation, not to mention that it seemed like Bert was just throwing darts at a dart board to determine starters at that point. When the player was demoted right after that when he was so obviously unprepared, what was the message then?

A redshirt year was wasted, the player didn't play that much the 2nd half of the season. It just had the appearance of chaos and smacked of desperation.

After the TCU 4th quarter meltdown which gave us the feeling of having seen that movie so many times before came the New Mexico State humdrum performance. Some of us tried to warn that this team was in serious trouble.

That Grant Morgan INT in the endzone possibly saved us from a Coastal Carolina situation, having to come from behind to win or barely hanging on to a lead vs a lower tier team with a 2nd string QB.

The A&M game was deja vu all over again as we watched the team lead almost the entire game only to melt down in the 4th quarter and OT yet again for the 3rd time in 4 years vs the Aggies.

Yet, it wasn't until the USCE game that many fans started to realize that this was a lost season with a bad coach on his way out the door. My time as a Hog fan goes back to the late 60s. Never in my time following this program can I recall a HC making as head-scratching a move as that one at the start of a season, before things went south..
Good summation to an awful season. Like you when I seen him trot a walk on true freshman offensive line starter, I knew he had officially lost what little mind he had. As you perfectly analyzed, he seemed to spend the season throwing darts, forced to play players he didn't like because of injuries, those kids perform, quickly banish them back to the bench so no one would keep asking why they aren't playing. I seriously believe the fat man didn't care, knew he was done, and knew he had the University bent over the barrel for a load of cash.

thebignasty

Bell was looking like he might have figured defense out before he got hurt last year.  I hope he comes up big for us. We need defensive playmakers.

rtr

Aren't you judging them? 

What is easy to judge with certainty is that Bielema was completely over his head. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

IronHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 01, 2018, 10:54:25 am
You are judging them as SEC level players.  But you have no clue.  Bell was highly rated, but he came from a tiny little school.  Dalton is transitioning from QB.  Sometimes, things don't work out.  And sometimes they take more than two seasons. 

I don't give two craps about Bielema.  He's not our coach.  But i do find it the height of arrogance for idiot posters on message boards to think they know more than experinced college coaches.

Bell came from Junction City.  Many years most of their starters would start at any 7a school in state

Truth is B.B. was biased against certain rural kids.  Look for lots of new faces while certain favorites get playing time cut.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

pigbacon

Quote from: IronHog on January 01, 2018, 02:30:02 pm

Bell came from Junction City.  Many years most of their starters would start at any 7a school in state

Truth is B.B. was biased against certain rural kids.  Look for lots of new faces while certain favorites get playing time cut.

Now you're just making stuff up.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Wonder what the boards will look like if all of the "favorites" this year are the starters next year?  Should be fun to watch.

seasonhog

Quote from: rtr on January 01, 2018, 02:13:05 pm
What is easy to judge with certainty is that Bielema was completely over his head.

Bielema was not a good manager......team was not tough enough....poor play calling , defense would just give up at times...there has been & still are some talent on this team ....over 5 years how many games did we lose after leading which most teams would have won.....

For some reason Bielema never had full control of his teams.

Arkiebarkie

Nate Daulton is not transitioning over from a QB
To CB.  He's always been in the secondary.

Daulton Hyatt is the QB from Alabama, he may be a player in this offense.

IronHog

Quote from: pigbacon on January 01, 2018, 02:33:56 pm
Now you're just making stuff up.

You ever been to a Junction City game when they're good?

rtr

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on January 01, 2018, 02:43:43 pm
Wonder what the boards will look like if all of the “favorites” this year are the starters next year?  Should be fun to watch.
I don't think that will happen, the change in scheme if nothing else means some personnel are different.  Bell, though, needs to see the field.  So does Will Gragg.

IronHog

Wonder what the boards will look like if all of the "favorites" this year are the starters next year?  Should be fun to watch.

Think a walk on OL from Fayetteville  will start 1st game?

rtr

Quote from: IronHog on January 01, 2018, 03:02:03 pm

I just want to see the best athletes out there, no matter where they are from.

ricepig

ricepig

Was he starting at the end of the year?

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2018, 03:04:58 pm
He's very good at that.

Y'all yuppies have no idea what kind of athletes play for Junction City

rtr

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2018, 03:05:40 pm
Aside from this tit for tat.  The fact that he was starting was indicative of some big roster management issues.  A lot things wrong with this. I do think because scholarship limitations, a lot of small HS talent get overlooked.  Have to find a way to overcome that.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2018, 03:05:40 pm

He was injured. Hopefully he gets to redshirt this year and develop. No reason to bash the guy for working hard and getting pushed onto the field by his coach as a freshman, whatever the reasons were. He should be a contributor for several years.

rtr

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on January 01, 2018, 03:13:05 pm
He was injured. Hopefully he gets to redshirt this year and develop. No reason to bash the guy for working hard and getting pushed onto the field by his coach as a freshman, whatever the reasons were. He should be a contributor for several years.
Oh, I agree, he will develop.  He just shouldn't have been put in the fire this early. 

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on January 01, 2018, 03:06:51 pm

Y'all yuppies have no idea what kind of athletes play for Junction City

Yuppie... as usual you have no idea what you're talking about.

ricepig

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on January 01, 2018, 03:13:05 pm

He also had been replaced as a starter before that. He didn't play between the Auburn game on Oct 21 and the LSU game on Nov 11th in which he sprained his MCL when he had come in for the injured Froholdt.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 01, 2018, 10:38:55 am
Jamario also played in 2a football in Arkansas there is quite a curve from there until the SEC .. his measurable were off the charts .. but when he played in HS he wasn't the most physical guy ..
Good points. Lack of physicality is why he was moved from DE to TE.

lakecityhog

Dalton played QB in High School up until his senior year. It was then that he made the switch to DB. Can he continue to move a bit? Maybe bulk up a few pounds and become a fast linebacker?

BB's love affair with walk-ons is well documented and it hurt the program. I don't care if a kid is from FHS or Tuscaloosa High I don't want a true freshman O'Lineman starting game 1 of a season. People hacked on the Allen brothers for 5 years because they were "awarded" a starting position yet very few had issues with other players being given starting jobs regardless of performance.

Zack Rogers is probably the worst screwed over kid to ever put on a Razorback jersey. BB absolutely wasted this kid's entire career and all because he's a couple of inches too short. Our O'Line could have been lightyears ahead if he had started Rogers at center in the spring with Wallace and Ragnow at the tackles.

It just makes it hard to not wonder how many guys are really good players that just flat out got left behind due to some really stupid thinking.

Cinco de Hogo

Well I've been on the player bandwagon from the start and I blamed the poor performance on the coaching staff so if a lot of those players show improvement it will just prove me right and I hope they do for their sake more than my personal karma.  Some who stayed on the coaching staff bandwagon might get a surprise and once again for the players sake I hope they do.  I warned all year that the players they were bashing would be the same players they might be cheering next season.

Under Bret, we had too many things happen for it all to be bad luck or poor recruiting or some of those once in a great while bad luck situations. 
Let the 2nd string QB get away, seemingly unexpected, his first year here, with very little time to do decent replacement work for another. 
Played injured personnel always with the explanation that they gave us the best opportunity to win. 
Too often was surprised at the ability of some second team player when forced to use said player
Though we were stinking up the league with lopsided losses, we had several highly thought of players warming the bench.
We played without real success really, several players out of their element when they did get to play.
Let the 2nd team QB get away a second time, seemingly unexpected without time to do decent replacement.
At one time we had 5 rated QBs on hand and yet we name the starter half way through Spring training.
We didn't just lose games, we often lost lopsided games. 
Even when we won, often it was a near loss and often against a team we used to beat as bad as we wanted to.
Bret was worse than Nutt in running the play everyone in Americas knew was coming and most often to failure.

We were just smelly bad

From Tusk Till Dawn

If he is better than the others I hope so.  Baker Mayfield is doing ok.  I'll trust the coaches to make that call but just don't subscribe to alot of the conspiracy stuff.  If there are not substantial changes made to the lineup, it will be interesting to watch unfold on the field and in HV. 

Piglet

In my opinion Jamario was not a dominating player even in 2A football.  He had all the measurements coaches like, but his play was not always consistent.  Junction City had really good teams during his high school years, but from watching them play my hometown, I did not see him as the difference maker on their team.  He was good but not as good as he could have been with the physical advantages he had.  Of course I did not see all his games so maybe I am misjudging him on just a couple of games.

I am hoping he will catch fire and play up to his potential this year under a new coach.  From what I was reading, I thought he was finally beginning to turn the corner last year before he got hurt.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.