Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watched first half replay of last year's OU & TCU game after I got home today

Started by hoghevn, July 12, 2016, 09:26:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoghevn

- and a commentator said that TCU had 15 players that were either true freshman or redshirt freshman and that next (now this) year they'd have a lot of experienced players.  Now like us their QB will be new, and even moreso than ours, but this should be a great game.  What do you see as pluses and minuses?  I believe they're still young and our D will be the difference.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

PorkSoda

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/jun/14/former-aggie-under-center-tcu/?f=sports

"TCU is coming off an 11-2 season that was capped by a dramatic 47-41 triple-overtime win over Oregon in the Alamo Bowl, in which it trailed 31-0 at halftime. The Horned Frogs went 7-2 in Big 12 play, finishing tied for second in the conference.

They were No. 7 in the final Associated Press poll."

going to be a tough out anyway you look at it.

"While TCU must replace its top quarterback, wide receiver and running back, it will have some firepower back on offense.

Wide receiver KaVontae Turpin is arguably the Horned Frogs' most explosive returning player. As a true freshman, he finished second on the team with 649 receiving yards and eight touchdowns, while also rushing for 116 yards on 20 carries. Turpin is also valuable in special teams, returning 17 punts for 181 yards and one touchdown and 27 kickoffs for 729 yards last season."
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PORKULATOR

They throw a butt load of screens.  You stop that and block their stud Lb and we win with a 4th quarter of Razorback pounding...  I mean running all over em.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

regi

They lost a great QB, top 2 rushers, top 2 WR, 4 starting o-linemen, Their defense is where all or most of their young guys played last season. Two good defenses against two young offenses lead by RJR QBs. Should be interesting. Sprinkle, Reed, J. Corn, K Hatcher and Drew will need to be huge for us early this season.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PORKULATOR on July 12, 2016, 09:46:37 pm
They throw a butt load of screens.  You stop that and block their stud Lb and we win with a 4th quarter of Razorback pounding...  I mean running all over em.
yeah they do, and we have always sucked at defending it. here's to hoping that changes with paul rhoads here and them replacing all those lineman, backs and recievers (the screen game personel).
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

jgphillips3

They will have a hard time dealing with our size and power for 60 minutes.  We will have a tough time dealing with their style of offense and speed.  If we are close or ahead going into the fourth quarter, I see us winning it.  If they come out and blitz us for a bunch of points, it will be harder for our young offense to come back than it was last year.  If we play fundamental and sound defense, I think we win this one by something like 31-24 or 27-24.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 12, 2016, 09:29:26 pm
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/jun/14/former-aggie-under-center-tcu/?f=sports

"TCU is coming off an 11-2 season that was capped by a dramatic 47-41 triple-overtime win over Oregon in the Alamo Bowl, in which it trailed 31-0 at halftime. The Horned Frogs went 7-2 in Big 12 play, finishing tied for second in the conference.

They were No. 7 in the final Associated Press poll."

going to be a tough out anyway you look at it.

"While TCU must replace its top quarterback, wide receiver and running back, it will have some firepower back on offense.

Wide receiver KaVontae Turpin is arguably the Horned Frogs' most explosive returning player. As a true freshman, he finished second on the team with 649 receiving yards and eight touchdowns, while also rushing for 116 yards on 20 carries. Turpin is also valuable in special teams, returning 17 punts for 181 yards and one touchdown and 27 kickoffs for 729 yards last season."

I'm thinking we might see a lot of kicks by the Hogs similar to what we saw in the Liberty Bowl........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

trphog

Intriguing matchup. We seem to struggle against these type of offenses. Hopefully our experienced defense can thwart their young offense. That's the key for us.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 13, 2016, 08:04:33 am
I'm thinking we might see a lot of kicks by the Hogs similar to what we saw in the Liberty Bowl........................

I hope not, we don't cover well enough (or didn't last year) to try to employ that strategy. Just kick it through the EZ.
Go Hogs Go!

King Kong

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: trphog on July 13, 2016, 08:36:39 am
Intriguing matchup. We seem to struggle against these type of offenses. Hopefully our experienced defense can thwart their young offense. That's the key for us.
I totally agree. Yep, this should definitely be a very interesting match up given the contrasting styles of offensive play. Being a very early season test and given our key losses on offense IMO it will likely be up to our defense to help us not only stay in the game but possibly seal it for us if we're to win a tough challenge on the road.

younghog

I'll be at this GAME and expect a tough contest.. I expect us to win.. Our defense will get caught on a few but overall I think we slow it down and run it down their throats..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: regi on July 12, 2016, 09:59:33 pm
They lost a great QB, top 2 rushers, top 2 WR, 4 starting o-linemen, Their defense is where all or most of their young guys played last season. Two good defenses against two young offenses lead by RJR QBs. Should be interesting. Sprinkle, Reed, J. Corn, K Hatcher and Drew will need to be huge for us early this season.

Yep, TCU only returns 3 or 4 starters on offense and 5 or 6 on defense. I believe the HOG defense will come up big against the Horned Frogs and the Hogs win by 10 points or more.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

KevinOMReb

Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb