Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Old Clarion Hotel property dontated to the Foundation

Started by George S. Pigton, July 10, 2016, 12:18:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

George S. Pigton

\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

Sho Nuff

Why did it go out of business in the first place?  It was always packed to the gills on game weekends.  Must have been empty the rest of the year.

ricepig

Quote from: George S. Pigton on July 10, 2016, 12:18:59 am
Was surprised to read this tonight, I'm guessing they would sell it but it is a great location...

http://www.nwabusinessjournal.com/15217/vacant-fayetteville-hotel-donated-to-razorback-foundation

Well, the local didn't seem to help the previous owner.

Inhogswetrust

July 10, 2016, 07:38:30 am #3 Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:15:08 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Sho Nuff on July 10, 2016, 01:21:42 am
Why did it go out of business in the first place?  It was always packed to the gills on game weekends.  Must have been empty the rest of the year.

Lots of reasons. But generally many new, nicer hotels built. Depending on location hotels do normally have a "life expectancy" like a lot of products. They can become obsolete like other products.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DZ

will likely be destroyed and used for a gameday parking lot, construction staging area for the stadium expansion, or both.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: DZ on July 10, 2016, 09:20:49 am
will likely be destroyed and used for a gameday parking lot, construction staging area for the stadium expansion, or both.

Or 5 new Fast Food restaurants.....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

ricepig

Quote from: DZ on July 10, 2016, 09:20:49 am

Dang, that's a long way for parking. I didn't figure when Long said the Athletic Dept would provide 300 parking spaces to make up for those lost to the expansion, he was talking about in Farmington, haha.

DZ

Quote from: ricepig on July 10, 2016, 09:27:30 am
Dang, that's a long way for parking. I didn't figure when Long said the Athletic Dept would provide 300 parking spaces to make up for those lost to the expansion, he was talking about in Farmington, haha.
thousands of students have to move their cars on gamedays, so thats probably where they'll have an option to be parking.. or they could shuttle people like they do from Baum.

ricepig

Quote from: DZ on July 10, 2016, 09:42:10 am
thousands of students have to move their cars on gamedays, so thats probably where they'll have an option to be parking.. or they could shuttle people like they do from Baum.

Real doubtful the students will have to park west of I-49, lol. Now, shuttling is a possibility, but who's going to pay to park there?

DZ

Quote from: ricepig on July 10, 2016, 09:55:08 am
Real doubtful the students will have to park west of I-49, lol. Now, shuttling is a possibility, but who's going to pay to park there?

ok.  I wouldn't be so sure, its been discussed. its a big issue with students vehicles on gameday now. and its probably free parking, just like Baum lot is now on gameday.

ricepig

Quote from: DZ on July 10, 2016, 10:02:33 am
ok.  I wouldn't be so sure, its been discussed. its a big issue with students vehicles on gameday now. and its probably free parking, just like Baum lot is now on gameday.

I've had kids live at Maple West their freshman year, I know all about the parking, lol. The parking being moved for the expansion is going to effect the $5000 and up donors, they aren't going to park at Baum or Farmington........

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 10, 2016, 10:08:08 am
I've had kids live at Maple West their freshman year, I know all about the parking, lol. The parking being moved for the expansion is going to effect the $5000 and up donors, they aren't going to park at Baum or Farmington........

Students in certain lots have ALWAYS had to move on game days. The closer to the stadium the lot the more likely they had to move. When I lived in Yocum years ago we didn't have to move.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DZ

Quote from: ricepig on July 10, 2016, 10:08:08 am

right, I never said it was going to affect the$5000 and up donors, or be where those people are relocated..  I said it will be construction staging or gameday parking. 
There are old houses and lots being bought up by the UA constantly right now and being leveled for parking, just take a drive around the stadiums side streets and look.   I don't know where they'll put those donors, but of course it wouldn't be on MLK.  you're exaggerating the distance a good bit by saying Farmington as well

ricepig

Quote from: DZ on July 10, 2016, 10:28:40 am
right, I never said it was going to affect the$5000 and up donors, or be where those people are relocated..  I said it will be construction staging or gameday parking. 
There are old houses and lots being bought up by the UA constantly right now and being leveled for parking, just take a drive around the stadiums side streets and look.   I don't know where they'll put those donors, but of course it wouldn't be on MLK.  you're exaggerating the distance a good bit by saying Farmington as well

I well aware of what is being bought around campus, and for how much, haha. The Farmington comment applies because the time to get from that site to the stadium, one might as well be in Farmington. The congestion starts at I-49 and MLK.

Porked Tongue

I wouldn't be stunned to see a UA owned hotel appear there.  Not a remodel but a tear down and go back up kinda deal.

Also worth noting it's pretty close to the new intramural fields and a City of Fay park expansion.

It'll be interesting to watch.

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 10, 2016, 10:38:49 am
I wouldn't be stunned to see a UA owned hotel appear there.  Not a remodel but a tear down and go back up kinda deal.

Also worth noting it's pretty close to the new intramural fields and a City of Fay park expansion.

It'll be interesting to watch.

Well, they passed, or didn't get the deal they wanted on the one on campus, but who knows. I wouldn't think they'd want a UofA hotel off campus.

Porked Tongue

The new Chancellor kiboshed that one shortly after arrival. I think being on a tight campus was the killshot to the project.

I think off campus run by mgmt company would be right up their alley.  The more they can control the better they like it.   A place for their guests to stay(teams?), a banquet facility option and more is right up their alley.

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 10, 2016, 10:57:03 am
The new Chancellor kiboshed that one shortly after arrival. I think being on a tight campus was the killshot to the project.

I think off campus run by mgmt company would be right up their alley.  The more they can control the better they like it.   A place for their guests to stay(teams?), a banquet facility option and more is right up their alley.

Well, the corner of MLK and I-49 doesn't really shout "this is our University" to me, pretty non-descript location.

Inhogswetrust

July 10, 2016, 12:05:29 pm #18 Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:38:10 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 10, 2016, 10:57:03 am

They had that when the Hilton which is now the Chancellor hotel was built years ago. That being said there are potential options for something like that much closer to campus but not on campus but it would cost a little more I'd bet. If they need a feasibility study I know someone that is considered the best in the hotel business they could hire. Then again so does someone at the Foundation.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 10:10:40 am
Students in certain lots have ALWAYS had to move on game days. The closer to the stadium the lot the more likely they had to move. When I lived in Yocum years ago we didn't have to move.

Yocum FTW
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 10:10:40 am

I just wish they would not let them park next to the green grass in the Baum lots on gamedays. That's prime tailgating space for some of us. Screw the students  ;D

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 10, 2016, 09:04:16 pm
I just wish they would not let them park next to the green grass in the Baum lots on gamedays. That's prime tailgating space for some of us. Screw the students  ;D

Well, just get there before 5 on Friday night's.   8)  I took the oldest to get his vehicle on many a Sunday mornings on my way out of town. Well, more like noon, college kids don't do much in the mornings on weekends. #2 had a parking deck sticker, so she didn't have to move her vehicle.

Arkapigdiesel

Is this where the Bobbi Sox club was at?  There will be many 50 somethings on the prowl for a new location.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on July 11, 2016, 05:58:12 am
Is this where the Bobbi Sox club was at?  There will be many 50 somethings on the prowl for a new location.

That is correct. At one time that was the best "market" in town! Us 50 somethings don't prowl so much anymore.

parallaxpig

New parking lot being built on Razorback across from football practice field which will take up slack of lost spots in pit.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: parallaxpig on July 11, 2016, 07:19:45 am
New parking lot being built on Razorback across from football practice field which will take up slack of lost spots in pit.
those lots were there, but they were gravel lots, maybe they are finally going to pave them

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 11, 2016, 07:02:21 am
That is correct. At one time that was the best "market" in town! Us 50 somethings don't prowl so much anymore.
The Bobbisox was a meeting place for swingers, swappers, and such. Had a buddy that was single and picked up many a gal down there.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 07:38:30 am
Lots of reasons. But generally many new, nicer hotels built. Depending on location hotels do normally have a "life expectancy" like a lot of products. They can also become obsolete like other products.

Bingo... it was tired, worn down, parking lot in shambles.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 11, 2016, 10:18:54 am
Bingo... it was tired, worn down, parking lot in shambles.....

The best hotel in that area now is the Staybridge Suites. I used to work for the owners elsewhere. Some on here might be surprised who that is. Also the Hampton Inn there is very good. I know the owner there (and he also owns a couple at the very next exit north) and the GM is a friend of mine.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 11, 2016, 11:19:16 am
The best hotel in that area now is the Staybridge Suites. I used to work for the owners elsewhere. Some on here might be surprised who that is. Also the Hampton Inn there is very good. I know the owner there (and he also owns a couple at the very next exit north) and the GM is a friend of mine.

I like the Courtyard by Marriott in Fayetteville and the Embassy Suites on 49 in Rogers the best.........   but... if you're not picky you can usually get a really great deal at the Fairfield in Springdale, or is it Johnson, on 49.........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 11, 2016, 11:26:38 am
I like the Courtyard by Marriott in Fayetteville and the Embassy Suites on 49 in Rogers the best.........   but... if you're not picky you can usually get a really great deal at the Fairfield in Springdale, or is it Johnson, on 49.........

All very good properties. Most Hilton and Marriott properties are. They have high franchise standards and the only difference in those can be the age of the property or the management. However my reference was only to those that were at the MLK exit in Fayetteville.