Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

$2 million from Michigan: Let's use it to start renovations on the West Side!

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, July 07, 2016, 03:12:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 10:11:42 am
Things do cost much more nowadays but IIRC there are or were also issues with the highway designation wasn't there?

Like no room to the west.....does the plans on 4 lanes on Razorback Rd extend to Maple?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 10, 2016, 09:27:11 am
A west side improvement project would probably cost as much as the current project. Two million dollars wouldn't cover the planning phase.
Depends on what Long decides. If all he wants to do is cover the exposed steel beams then the project is simple.

If he wants to deal with the narrow infrastructure under the west stands then it will cost a lot more. Any improvements from here on out will likely be about making the game experience better for the fans. If you've ever been on those concourses under the west side during a game you know what I'm referring to.

That part of the stadium is little changed from the 50's. The bathrooms and concessions stands have been improved but trying to move around in that space is annoying and depending on how crowded it is, it can even be a little scary.

Let's put it this way, WMS is better in terms of getting to your seat, getting to the concession stand or restroom and back.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 10, 2016, 11:46:35 am
Depends on what Long decides. If all he wants to do is cover the exposed steel beams then the project is simple.

If he wants to deal with the narrow infrastructure under the west stands then it will cost a lot more. Any improvements from here on out will likely be about making the game experience better for the fans. If you've ever been on those concourses under the west side during a game you know what I'm referring to.

That part of the stadium is little changed from the 50's. The bathrooms and concessions stands have been improved but trying to move around in that space is annoying and depending on how crowded it is, it can even be a little scary.

Let's put it this way, WMS is better in terms of getting to your seat, getting to the concession stand or restroom and back.

Not in the north end zone it isn't.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 10, 2016, 11:46:35 am

The lower level concourse of the west side is actually okay IMHO but the second level concourse is outrageously ridiculous. It's far worse than the concourse at WMS and that's sayin' somethin'. It BADLY needs widening and renovating.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 12:12:31 pm
Not in the north end zone it isn't.
I was referring to the west or home side of both stadiums. The single worst thing about RRS is a lack of space to accommodate fans under the west stands. The concourse under the west side of WMS is noticeably wider. You don't have fans trying to enter or exit the stands running into fans standing in line for concessions. You also don't have people getting pressed up against a waist high metal fence with a 30 foot drop to the ground on the other side.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: GuvHog on July 10, 2016, 01:33:40 pm
The lower level concourse of the west side is actually okay IMHO but the second level concourse is outrageously ridiculous. It's far worse than the concourse at WMS and that's sayin' somethin'. It BADLY needs widening and renovating.
I wouldn't say it's okay. It's not as crowded because fewer people go down there. But it's dark and there's no room for the bowl cases. They stuck 'em there anyway. It feels like a dungeon.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 10, 2016, 02:13:49 pm
I was referring to the west or home side of both stadiums. The single worst thing about RRS is a lack of space to accommodate fans under the west stands. The concourse under the west side of WMS is noticeably wider. You don't have fans trying to enter or exit the stands running into fans standing in line for concessions. You also don't have people getting pressed up against a waist high metal fence with a 30 foot drop to the ground on the other side.

I used to have season tickets on the west side of RRS and it is way too tight underneath. I agree it is the worst aspect of the whole stadium for those that have been all around it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ImHogginIt

The West upperdeck is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing   :D :razorback:

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 10, 2016, 02:24:54 pm

I've sat up there. It is a very tight concourse up there as well. Great view though.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 02:29:05 pm
I've sat up there. It is a very tight concourse up there as well. Great view though.

Not near as bad as what's below

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 10, 2016, 02:24:54 pm

Well, it isn't like all 6000 go to their seats at once, just leaving at once.  8)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 10, 2016, 02:31:30 pm
Well, it isn't like all 6000 go to their seats at once, just leaving at once.  8)

When we had to go underneath one time because of lighting it was! My wife and I had to stand on the ramps that zig-zag back and forth.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 10, 2016, 02:19:36 pm
I wouldn't say it's okay. It's not as crowded because fewer people go down there. But it's dark and there's no room for the bowl cases. They stuck 'em there anyway. It feels like a dungeon.
Wonder if they could move the two concession stands that are below Sections 101 & 102 and move them to the North end under 106 & 107? These really add to the congestion as people enter through gates 1-2 in the SW corner. Also, have some of the transit/shuttle busses unload on up Razorback Rd at the North end. The Lower west side is still a dungeon, but this might help with the crowd.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 10, 2016, 02:51:36 pm
Wonder if they could move the two concession stands that are below Sections 101 & 102 and move them to the North end under 106 & 107? These really add to the congestion as people enter through gates 1-2 in the SW corner. Also, have some of the transit/shuttle busses unload on up Razorback Rd at the North end. The Lower west side is still a dungeon, but this might help with the crowd.

The busses do unload up Razorback road at the north end. I've gotten off there.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 03:15:46 pm

I see. The times I've ridden them they stopped right at the SW corner. Oh well.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 10, 2016, 03:18:48 pm
I see. The times I've ridden them they stopped right at the SW corner. Oh well.

If you sit on the west side then you can go up and get off and avoid that crowd at the SW corner.

PonderinHog

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 03:21:28 pm
If you sit on the west side then you can go up and get off and avoid that crowd at the SW corner.

Hey, I only have $2 million to work with here.  ;)

(notOM)Rebel123

Inhogswetrust

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 03:15:46 pm

A former teammate of mine had parking in what is now the Epley Center for Health Professions which is just up the hill from the stadium. I always enjoyed tailgating with them up there. You could see "the walk", the kids enjoyed sliding down the hill on pieces of cardboard, you had an overview of the stadium and "the pit" below and it was an easy walk downhill for games. Not so much coming back up the hill after games. :) But the price was well worth it. It was a fantastic tailgating spot with a lot of activity and a lot of premium quality views (Coeds and post-Coeds). ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 10, 2016, 04:12:16 pm
A former teammate of mine had parking in what is now the Epley Center for Health Professions which is just up the hill from the stadium. I always enjoyed tailgating with them up there. You could see "the walk", the kids enjoyed sliding down the hill on pieces of cardboard, you had an overview of the stadium and "the pit" below and it was an easy walk downhill for games. Not so much coming back up the hill after games. :) But the price was well worth it. It was a fantastic tailgating spot with a lot of activity and a lot of premium quality views (Coeds and post-Coeds). ;)
i used to live on Smith street. Now THAT was the spot. Same hill, right on top of the broyles-mathews parking lot (where the skywalk over razorback road is). Loved that spot. Used to hit golf balls out of our yard into what is now coach's parking in the east side pit.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 10, 2016, 04:12:16 pm

Yes it IS a great place to park and tailgate. Up until a couple of years ago we used to tailgate in the Pit but now have access to one of the rented big white canopies reserved right across the big rocks and creek right below that area where the Epley Center is.